Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Spurs to be punished for resting players

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

I think you should never interfere with a coach's decision on who to play or not to play and what to do with his players.

You think there's an unsavory reason for benching those guys (throwing a game to win bets)? Investigate the crap out of it. Find a smoking gun.

But fining a coach for sending players home? Yeah, I want to see the league rule it violates and the line drawn by that rule.

As far as the fans somehow not getting what they paid for - you know, it's a sport, not a TV series. The purpose of the game is the game, not the entertainment or star moments or highlights on ESPN. This is the time to draw the line and say the whole focus on stars has limits - otherwise you end up with certain players OFFICIALLY being granted more fouls so they don't foul out, or requirements for teams to substitute a bench player if the starter is doing too good a job defending the Superstar, or other patently ridiculous things that seem less ridiculous when you start by telling a coach he MUST play certain players.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by threein73 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder if Stern would have even noticed it they were playing the Pacers...
    That would imply we were on national television to begin with, and that we had 3 superstars to sit.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

Typical NBA, inconsistent with it's penalties and punishments... you can't punish the Spurs now if you never have before...
    Last edited by rock747; 11-30-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    Typical NBA, inconsistent with it's penalties and punishments... you can't punish the Spurs now if you never have before...
    Just because they never have before doesn't mean they can't start doing it every time now and after.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Late to this conversation, but Kareem and the other big stars used to have "80 game contracts" where the players could pick a game or two to rest.
    It's not resting a star player or two that's the issue. It's resting arguably your four best players all at once, and none of them because of injury. I doubt if Popovich would have head a peep if he had rested Duncan and Ginobili last night, but Parker and Green the game before (in an easy win over Orlando), for example.

To not stagger the off-days certainly lends an element of "well, that's a loss anyway" to the decision. I don't think it's a huge deal though. I hope Pop isn't suspended but a fine should at least make the message clear.

As to the precedent for discipline, I am sure that Stern has in the past told teams not to tank games or intentionally run out a sub-optimal lineup. He can look the other way on the game before the all-star break or the last games of the season, but this was something he couldn't ignore.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Pops did the right thing. It's not the league's job to tell the teams who to play and who to sit. This is getting ridiculous.
    Thank you Jeff.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    As to the precedent for discipline, I am sure that Stern has in the past told teams not to tank games or intentionally run out a sub-optimal lineup. He can look the other way on the game before the all-star break or the last games of the season, but this was something he couldn't ignore.
    There is no punishment for it, so it can be ignored.

There is no punishment, so the league has admitted that the Spurs can do it if they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    There is no punishment for it, so it can be ignored.

There is no punishment, so the league has admitted that the Spurs can do it if they want.
    The league also has the power to review any action on a case-by-case basis as well, so the Spurs have to know that if they do something like decide not to play their 4 best players that it will be reviewed.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Mood

The way Stern has punished teams he didn't like from tanking is by fixing the draft so they don't get the 1st overall picks.

He awards the 1st overall to teams he feels need it to increase fan interest. Cleveland after losing James , Ewing to Knicks, Hornets and Wizard after new ownership - just saying. Can't tell me those were cases of coincedence.

I doubt it. If the league says there is nothing they can do this time around, I don't think they're going to suddenly change their mind and then fine/suspend later on.

The fact that the league didn't do anything, and won't do anything, gives me a pretty clear indication that the Spurs can do it.

EDIT: I'll just use Silver's own words here.
    The strategic resting of particular players on particular nights is within the discretion of the teams.
    Translation: We don't like it, but there's nothing we can do about it.
    Last edited by Since86; 11-30-2012 at 11:59 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    The way Stern has punished teams he didn't like from tanking is by fixing the draft so they don't get the 1st overall picks.

He awards the 1st overall to teams he feels need it to increase fan interest. Cleveland after losing James , Ewing to Knicks, Hornets and Wizard after new ownership - just saying. Can't tell me those were cases of coincedence.
    Any idiot with 5 minutes to spare can come up with a conspiracy theory no matter who wins te lottery. We played this game last summer.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

If Stern has issue with it, he should handle it in house. He just looks stupid doing it this way. All Pop has to say is that it was a medical/health decision, which it pretty much was.

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post

Cherry picking to the max. Why did he not throw the Knicks a single bone in the 2000's when they were the joke of the league? Why did Boston strike out on the Duncan and Oden/Durant sweepstakes when they had some of the best odds? By 2007, Boston had been a joke for about 15 years. You would think the league would have thrown its most successful franchise a bone if they were in the business of fixing things.

Why did Lebron go to boring Cleveland when both Chicago and New York were in play?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I doubt it. If the league says there is nothing they can do this time around, I don't think they're going to suddenly change their mind and then fine/suspend later on.

The fact that the league didn't do anything, and won't do anything, gives me a pretty clear indication that the Spurs can do it.

EDIT: I'll just use Silver's own words here.

Translation: We don't like it, but there's nothing we can do about it.
    Except Stern said publicly right before tip off last night that they would be doing something to punish them. And Stern outranks everybody last I remembered.

"I apologize to all NBA fans," Stern said. "This was an unacceptable decision by the San Antonio Spurs and substantial sanctions will be forthcoming."
    Stern's statement was released roughly the same time as tip-off in Miami for a nationally televised game.
    http://www.nba.com/2012/news/11/29/s...s=iref:nbahpts

20. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    Just because they never have before doesn't mean they can't start doing it every time now and after.
    Fine, implement a rule and enforce it consistently after today- But how can the Spurs be penalized for something they have done multiple times before without penalization? Stern is butthurt because his superstar driven product took a hit on national television...
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Except Stern said publicly right before tip off last night that they would be doing something to punish them. And Stern outranks everybody last I remembered.

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/11/29/s...s=iref:nbahpts
    I went back to the article posted, to check the time stamps. Turns out the article quoted and linked on page two is from last season, 4/17/12.

BUT I have a hard time believing that the fine will stick, when your office is on record of saying it's the discretion of the team. There's an appeals process for fines, so we'll see.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have absolutely no issues with what the Spurs did. None. And I have absolutely no issues with David Stern imposing penalties on the Spurs for what the Spurs did.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    you can't punish the Spurs now if you never have before...
    The Los Angeles Lakers were known to have been fined in the later stages of the 1984-85 and 1989-90 seasons for resting multiple stars before the playoffs.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/86...-vs-miami-heat

It's strange that no rest days were scheduled for cupcake games. In their previous three games the Spurs beat the Toronto Raptors, Washington Wizards and Orlando Magic, 3 teams with a combined record of 9-34, by a collective 52 points.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Why didn't he do that when they played the Pacers last week. Parker had 34, Duncan had 22
    "We want Miami"

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:

"We would like to apologize to our fans, partners, and sponsors affected by the San Antonio Spurs decision to rest many of their players in a nationally televised game against the Miami Heat. We strongly discourage teams from acting in this manner. However, personnel decisions, including playing time, are strictly a team decision. The ultimate goal of every NBA team is to win an NBA championship. Coach Popvich made a decision that he believes will help his team reach that goal. This is a very rare occurance for our league. Regardless, we will look into the scheduling issues that conspired to make the coach feel this was the correct decision. If there are changes that make sense we will implement them. We strive to provide you a quality product showcasing the talents of the best athletes in the world. And we will continue to look for ways to improve. Thank you." This is along the lines of what Stern should have said. Instead he acts in a way that reinforces the belief that he is the "puppet master" and that the NBA is sometimes a little more "entertainment" and less "sport" than it should be.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    Why didn't he do that when they played the Pacers last week. Parker had 34, Duncan had 22
    Because he clearly did it to raise the middle finger on Stern for the scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
    "We would like to apologize to our fans, partners, and sponsors affected by the San Antonio Spurs decision to rest many of their players in a nationally televised game against the Miami Heat. We strongly discourage teams from acting in this manner. However, personnel decisions, including playing time, are strictly a team decision. The ultimate goal of every NBA team is to win an NBA championship. Coach Popvich made a decision that he believes will help his team reach that goal. This is a very rare occurance for our league. Regardless, we will look into the scheduling issues that conspired to make the coach feel this was the correct decision. If there are changes that make sense we will implement them. We strive to provide you a quality product showcasing the talents of the best athletes in the world. And we will continue to look for ways to improve. Thank you." This is along the lines of what Stern should have said. Instead he acts in a way that reinforces the belief that he is the "puppet master" and that the NBA is sometimes a little more "entertainment" and less "sport" than it should be.
    David Stern isn't affiliated with any team. It's not his job to ensure that teams remain productive and competitive year round. He is employed by the NBA, of which all of the teams are voluntarily a part of. The league's job is to take the players and teams provided and go make money with them, ensuring that the teams can continue to exist in a medium that is favorable to them. By choosing to be a part of the NBA they also choose to abide by its policies. And its number 1 policy is to put the best product possible out there so fans continue to pay to attend games and purchase merchandise. Which all teams want anyway. Stern is just doing his job.

Every team has scheduling concerns at some point in the year, but only Popovich makes such a big deal about it. He's being a "passive diva," if you will.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Every team has scheduling concerns at some point in the year, but only Popovich makes such a big deal about it. He's being a "passive diva," if you will.

Exactly. The Spurs are the ones who told everyone that they sent the players back home on a Southwest flight.

The average fan doesn't tune into the Spurs vs. Heat game to watch Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili anyway, they tune in to watch Wade, Lebron, and Bosh, that is why this is silly to begin with.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Exactly. The Spurs are the ones who told everyone that they sent the players back home on a Southwest flight.
    It's better than letting his players become a mockery in national TV.