Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 253

Thread: Spurs to be punished for resting players

  1. #51
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,834

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well then the NFL should go to two games a week and double the amount of games in a season, and there should only be one starting pitcher. :eyeroll: Yeah they are professionals, but it isn't like they are playing a nice relaxing sport like bowling. There is a physical toll taken by these players, and it only gets more difficult as they get older (notice Pop is resting his old guys not his young ones). It isn't like high school or college were you play one game a week, so when you do play multiple games within 2 or 3 days you are more physically able to recover quickly. For the most part these guys are playing almost every other day already. That is why you hear about players "taking a night off". It isn't because they are lazy, but because they just can't play that many games in such a compact schedule.
    Millions of Americans who work labor intensive jobs eight hours a day, five days a week are calling BS on the inability of professional athletes to go play an hour of basketball after playing 2 hours the night before.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:


  3. #52
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    20,530

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How can you even try to compete against the NFL tonight when one of your teams clearly doesn't give a damn?
    If you care so much about trying to compete against the NFL then how about trying to keep your featured game competitive?

    Because the scheduling disparity between the Spurs and the Heat the last 5 days pretty much made sure that the game wouldn't be competitive from the get go.

    Want Pop to play all his players?

    Then make a better schedule for all parties involved.

  4. #53
    STRAIGHT UP pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,011
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well then the NFL should go to two games a week and double the amount of games in a season, and there should only be one starting pitcher. :eyeroll: Yeah they are professionals, but it isn't like they are playing a nipce relaxing sport like bowling. There is a physical toll taken by these players, and it only gets more difficult as they get older (notice Pop is resting his old guys not his young ones). It isn't like high school or college were you play one game a week, so when you do play multiple games within 2 or 3 days you are more physically able to recover quickly. For the most part these guys are playing almost every other day already. That is why you hear about players "taking a night off". It isn't because they are lazy, but because they just can't play that many games in such a compact schedule.
    While it really has no importance to this thread, as a life-long bowler, I have to say that competitive, especially professional bowling, is a very taxing game. I won't say it's comparable to the NBA or NFL, but it's an entirely different game than when you go bowling with your friends to goof around and have a beer.

    *flies away*
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

    @The_Real_CJake

  5. #54
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,262

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree. But I don't find a reason that we, as fans, should care about Stern apologizing to TNT, Gatorade and all the other corporate partners.
    I'm not saying you should care. I'm saying it doesn't make sense to criticize stern for protecting his business.

    As a basketball fan, I thought this was a fun game. But the nba cators to a much broader audience than people like me.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  6. #55
    Member Pingu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,247

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Millions of Americans who work labor intensive jobs eight hours a day, five days a week are calling BS on the inability of professional athletes to go play an hour of basketball after playing 2 hours the night before.
    Yes, because the fact that millions of Americans work labor intensive jobs eight hours/day automatically increases the stamina of NBA players...

  7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:


  8. #56

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Didn't realize there were so many bandwagon fans on here.

    I pay to watch a basketball game, not to see any one player.

    As long as the team in the Pacers jerseys beat the team in away jerseys, I'm happy.
    Last edited by LetsTalkPacers84; 11-30-2012 at 12:35 AM.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

    @LetsTalkPacers

  9. #57
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    32,473

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Imagine for a moment that Pop said "Wow, all three of those guys tweaked an ankle, so we sent them home to get it looked at by home physicians." Would there be "substantial sanctions" then?

    Basically, he's getting fined for being honest.
    No man, teams lie all the time.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  11. #58
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,655

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    As much as I can't stand Stern, I agree with him. You can't just send your players back home for some PTO in the NBA - especially not on a night when the game is nationally televised.

    As far as Pop resting his players is concerned, it doesn't really seem to make much of a difference in the long run. Ginobilli always gets hurt and misses his regular 10-20 games each year and they haven't made it to the finals in more than 5 years.

  12. #59
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    20,530

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not saying you should care. I'm saying it doesn't make sense to criticize stern for protecting his business.

    As a basketball fan, I thought this was a fun game. But the nba cators to a much broader audience than people like me.
    Personally, I don't care about Stern. I'm not going to criticize him or congratulate him for anything.

    All I'm saying is that Pops made the right decision for his club.

  13. #60

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Also fwiw, I watched the game BECAUSE they didn't play. I wouldn't have watched otherwise. I can say this was true for at least 3 other PD posters. So to say this hurt ratings isn't necessarily true.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

    @LetsTalkPacers

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to LetsTalkPacers84 For This Useful Post:


  15. #61

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    I have started to reply to some of these posts and had to stop multiple times. What I have realized is that both Stern and Pop were doing the right thing to maintain the success of their portion of the business. No one is really right or wrong here, it is actually more of a matter of a opinion than anything. Put yourself in both of their shoes and you can completely understand why they think the way that they do.

    I personally feel that unless it directly violates an NBA rule or regulation, the Spurs should not be punished. I mean they almost won the game, how wrong can they be? The only other thing I wanted to mention is that you cannot simply compare regular jobs to NBA players' jobs. Professional athletes are the best at what they do and in a game defined by one thing, the W column, players need to give 100% every night if possible. If team A has played 4 in 5 nights, and team B has had multiple days off before they meet head to head, it is obvious to anyone that team A's 100% wont be as good as the other team's. Skill level and age can change that but in the Spurs' case it is obvious they would have been outmatched against the Heat most nights. If any professional team had to play say 7 games in 7 days, it is only logical that they might dip in energy level and stamina with each game. If they played new teams that had a week off each night, it becomes clear that a disadvantage would be present.

    It isn't that professional athletes can't play as often as we think, it is that they can't play at as high of a level as their opponent when the games are bunched together as they are. Always playing against more rested opponents leads to more losses, lower seed, and lower chance of ultimate success in the long run. It is not as simple as "professional athletes should be in good enough shape to play that many games in a stretch." They definitely are able to do it, just not as well against a well-rested, ready opponent.

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DemonHunter1105 For This Useful Post:


  17. #62
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,816

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    This could have all been avoided had Pops not made the big dramatic step of sending them home. Dress them and don't play them if you want but yea, they should at least be in the building.

    Also let's stow the "bandwagon" comments. People have a right to pick and choose what games they pay to go see. I happen to have full season tickets but if I were to pick and choose games I can assure you I would not be paying to see the Raptors or Wizards or Bobcats (even though right now they have a better record than us). I would be like anyone else and paying to see the stars. Please don't act like that is a new concept btw, I can show you a photo from the 50's of the marquee of MSG showing the Knicks vs. George Mikan.

    Also what does an 82 game schedule have anything to do with this? I mean if it was something new or if it had been around for 5 or even 10 years that would be one thing but this schedule dates back to the 60's. I mean don't get me wrong I would like the NBA to have set nights of the week as well and if it meant a few less games than so be it but this isn't new.

    But like I said in the very beginning, all the Spurs would have had to do was not send them home.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  19. #63

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    I think Pop has every right to protest the league's scheduling. In February they are slotted for a 9 nine game road trip, so they only play 2 home games that entire month.

  20. #64
    Long time fan diamonddave00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Castle de Verde (Greencastle)
    Posts
    1,493
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    The entire game I kept thinking of Pacers post brawl and was cheering for the undermanned Spurs. I kept waiting for Marcus Haislip, Britton Johnson and Tremaine Fowlkes to check in.

    I only had trouble with the 25 year old Danny Green not playing.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to diamonddave00 For This Useful Post:


  22. #65
    Member Mr.ThunderMakeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Stern has noone to blame for this but himself. The NBA's scheduling is just ridiculous. Stern's attempts to squeeze every last dollar out of the sport by squeezing as many games as possible into a season is directly related to the amount of injuries and missed games each year. Stern should fine himself for all the stars missing games right now because of injuries.

  23. #66
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,834

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedConfusion View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Pop has every right to protest the league's scheduling. In February they are slotted for a 9 nine game road trip, so they only play 2 home games that entire month.
    The Spurs have one of those road trips every single year due to their building being used for a rodeo. The Bulls do the same thing for a circus. It's actually something that they work with the league to make sure they get no home games during the time.

  24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:


  25. #67
    High Flyers ThA HoyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pasco, wa
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,564

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedConfusion View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Pop has every right to protest the league's scheduling. In February they are slotted for a 9 nine game road trip, so they only play 2 home games that entire month.
    Thats when they have the rodeo in San Antonio been like that for years... It's normal for them

  26. #68
    Member Eleazar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,543

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also what does an 82 game schedule have anything to do with this? I mean if it was something new or if it had been around for 5 or even 10 years that would be one thing but this schedule dates back to the 60's. I mean don't get me wrong I would like the NBA to have set nights of the week as well and if it meant a few less games than so be it but this isn't new.
    It might not be something new, but if there wasn't an 82 game schedule there wouldn't be a need to have 4 games in 5 nights. If there weren't 4 games in 5 nights the Spurs wouldn't be resting their star players.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  28. #69
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,834

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stern has noone to blame for this but himself. The NBA's scheduling is just ridiculous. Stern's attempts to squeeze every last dollar out of the sport by squeezing as many games as possible into a season is directly related to the amount of injuries and missed games each year. Stern should fine himself for all the stars missing games right now because of injuries.
    You say this as if Stern introduced the 82 game season. It was around long before he was the commisioner.

    I really like the 82 game season, but then I actually like watching competitive regular season games more than postseason games due to how nervous I get for playoff games lol.

  29. #70
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    20,530

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Spurs have one of those road trips every single year due to their building being used for a rodeo. The Bulls do the same thing for a circus. It's actually something that they work with the league to make sure they get no home games during the time.
    That's true but that's also the reason that they are pissed off that they had to play most of their November on the road as well.

  30. #71
    Long time fan diamonddave00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Castle de Verde (Greencastle)
    Posts
    1,493
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    4 road games in 5 days made sense with last seasons condensed schedule. But it doesn't with a normal 82 game schedule. Now 1 day off then a 5th road game is 7 days while the Heat had 4 days at home between games? Guess being Champs gets you perks besides calls in games.

  31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamonddave00 For This Useful Post:


  32. #72
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,569

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    I definitely see both sides of it, I don't think it's as big a deal as it's in the process of being blown up to be, but it's a lose/lose for both sides really. Whether anyone likes it the league has a responsibility to do what they can to put the best product on the floor, that's what gets those billion dollar TV deals and all the advertising, which is obviously what makes the league possible in the first place. That's where Stern's coming from, and if you think it's overzealous or not, that's his responsibility and he's trying to make it happen in such a blatant case.

    Pop's reasons are obvious. 4 games in 5 nights, another on Saturday, old roster (except Danny Green, c'mon Pop). It sucks fans won't get to see some great players one night, but his job as a Spurs employee is to put them in the best position to win a title and giving guys a rest day on a long road trip helps that, in theory at least.

    It sucks for both sides but I understand both sides. I don't think anyone should be fined/suspended, but I do think Pop and Stern should hash it out. And put that on pay per view.

    "Sanctions" is real ballsy move though. What's the difference between this, if Stern's going to go the "apologizing to the fans" route, and tons of guys sitting the last few games when the playoffs are decided. It gives the implication that certain regular season games are more important than others, which is obviously true, but it's not going to do much to help the perception of your league.

  33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  34. #73
    #Franking Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13,569

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    4 road games in 5 days made sense with last seasons condensed schedule. But it doesn't with a normal 82 game schedule. Now 1 day off then a 5th road game is 7 days while the Heat had 4 days at home between games? Guess being Champs gets you perks besides calls in games.
    Build a 1230 game schedule and see how easy it is to give out equal amounts of rest.

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  36. #74
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,834

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    I don't really understand any complaining about an imbalance of rest between teams or an imbalance in home/away games. Because when a team has a more compact schedule in one week, it means they will have another weak that is a very light schedule. When a team has a lot of road games bunched together, it means they have a lot of home games bunched together somewhere else.

    Since every team plays the same number of games and every team has the same amount of home/road games within the same time period, every team will have a rest and/or home court advantage for half the year.

    Personally, the fact that the schedule ISN'T completely balanced means you get neat little story lines about which teams are strong in the face of tough scheduling and gives a place for stat splits to be used when comparing teams. Honestly, it makes things more interesting. The NFL doesn't have that, but since each game is weighted so much heavier you're not missing anything there.

  37. #75
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,262

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Every nba team gets one scheduling request. Not only are you building a 1230 game schedule, youre building it around 30 different restrictions.
    Last edited by Kstat; 11-30-2012 at 02:42 AM.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-09-2012, 05:40 PM
  2. Spurs begin resting starters in win against Jazz [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-09-2011, 11:20 PM
  3. Commissioner David Stern: NBA will discuss issue of resting players [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2010, 05:00 PM
  4. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 06:12 PM
  5. Why the fans won't be punished by the NBA
    By Natston in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 05:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •