Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 253

Thread: Spurs to be punished for resting players

  1. #26
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,139

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Nobody would buy that anyway, and the he'd get suspended for lying about injuries.

    Pops 3 best players getting minor injures all off camera at the same time would get investigated, trust me.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  2. #27
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,276
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I had shelled out money to watch a specific game only to find that they sent home essentially their 4 best players on the team, I would be pissed. There's no rule for it because it's not normally an issue. So just because they've used the tactic before doesn't make it okay.

    It would be easy enough to solve this imo. Just cut out the equivalent chunk of salary for any player who is not injured and not in the building. If I take a day off of work, even if I was sent home by my employer, I don't get paid. It should be roughly equivalent. If they're gonna sit out, they need to be there or lose the pay that they were getting for that game. If the coach then decides to not play them, that's his call. (Ignoring benefits and recognizing that nba players don't work 40 hours a week anyway)
    I disagree, because the man paying their salary is not the same man that sends them home. The man paying their check also pays the coach's check. I have no problem with what they did. Besides, how many people are affected? Miami is the hotbed for bandwagoners, and it's in Miami. Just because it was a nationally televised game versus the superteam doesn't make it okay for David Stern to do Popp's job. Every time in a starter sits out not due to injury, fine the team. How plausible is that? Not at all. That's why this scenario is just as ridiculous. You have to be consistent.


    Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:


  4. #28
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,627

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Imagine for a moment that Pop said "Wow, all three of those guys tweaked an ankle, so we sent them home to get it looked at by home physicians." Would there be "substantial sanctions" then?

    Basically, he's getting fined for being honest.
    I'm sure the NBA has some sort of system in place where they are allowed to investigate falsification of injuries for whatever purpose. If he had lied it would be even worse imo because nobody would believe that anyway, especially since they were all healthy the game before.

  5. #29
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,600

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    If Stern is apologizing about star players not playing, he needs to apologize to all those Indiana fans who bought 2004-2005 season tickets and all businesses that bought advertising from the Pacers that year. Of course that will never happen. Stern is such a dick.

  6. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  7. #30
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,991

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It isn't about winning. The ratings for this game will be crap because a big chunk of their viewing audience stopped giving a crap about this game and turned it off before it started.

    Stern isn't apologizing to the fans. He's apologizing to TNT, Gatorade and all the other corporate partners that paid the nba a lot of money to sponsor games like this.

    To add to that point:

    The league is already at a disadvantage tonight because of the Saints-Falcons game. The NFL is already an inherently more popular sport, and those are two fairly popular teams who also happen to be in the same division. One has only lost one game, and the other won the championship just three years ago and has one of the league's most marketable players in Brees. The NBA was already going to lose to the NFL tonight simply because the NFL is more popular. But even less people are going to watch the NBA tonight when you have one of the teams essentially throwing the game.

    You can't essentially throw a game on national TV against the defending champions when the league is trying to get viewers from the NFL and not expect the hammer to come down.

  8. #31
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,627

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree, because the man paying their salary is not the same man that sends them home. The man paying their check also pays the coach's check. I have no problem with what they did. Besides, how many people are affected? Miami is the hotbed for bandwagoners, and it's in Miami. Just because it was a nationally televised game versus the superteam doesn't make it okay for David Stern to do Popp's job. Every time in a starter sits out not due to injury, fine the team. How plausible is that? Not at all. That's why this scenario is just as ridiculous. You have to be consistent.


    Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    Miami is a hotbed of bandwagoners based on what? I'm pretty sure the Miami fan base in Miami is predominantly made up of actual fans. Bandwagoners elsewhere and in fact the ones in Miami are irrelevant to the argument. Just because you don't like how their team was created doesn't mean the fans don't deserve to watch what they paid for. In fact, they have to pay more money for the experience than other teams, so they arguably deserve it more.

    And it wouldn't be hard to take away their pay from the game. It would be as easily as treating it like a suspension without pay. I thought as a fan of the Pacers you would realize the league can mandate the loss of salary, cuz our players lost a TON of money in 2004/2005.

    If they don't want to play the players, fine. But if they're not injured it should be required they show up. Poppovich basically said "If we lose this game I don't really care."
    Last edited by aamcguy; 11-29-2012 at 10:00 PM.

  9. #32
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,303

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Well, this is interesting.

    http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/tag/ginbobili/

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Aschburner, NBA.com, April 17, 2012
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    HANG TIME MIDWEST BUREAU – With his Spurs facing three games in three nights on a West Coast road trip this week — at Golden State, at the L.A. Lakers, at Sacramento — San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich has an opportunity to get creative again with his roster deployment. However he decides to play it — or whoever he decides not to play — is evidently perfectly acceptable to the league.
    NBA deputy commissioner Adam Silver said Friday that the Spurs would face no fines, suspensions or other reprisals for Popovich’s decision last week to withhold the services of Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker from San Antonio’s game at Utah.
    “I think this is a unique season,” Silver said. “And the fans understand that competitive strategy is part of what goes into coaching this year. It’s unique and teams like the San Antonio Spurs are playing to win a championship, and I think fans understand that.”
    Popovich said he picked that game “pretty much when the schedule came out” and didn’t even have them travel with the club to Salt Lake City. The league was fine with that, Silver said.
    “The strategic resting of particular players on particular nights is within the discretion of the teams. And Gregg Popovich in particular is probably the last coach that I would second-guess.”
    For the record, the Spurs have held Duncan, Ginobili and Parker out of the same game seven times in their 10 seasons together; their record is 0-7, with a losing margin of 15 points. Last week’s loss at Utah was closer — the Jazz trailed by as many as eight points in the fourth quarter — but Popovich also did it at Portland Feb. 21 and his team got trounced 137-97.
    The collective shrug at NBA HQ seems a little surprising, considering the response the Lakers got a couple decades ago when Pat Riley sat out Magic Johnson, James Worthy and Mychal Thompson for the final game of the 1989-90 season. L.A. got destroyed by 42 points that night at Portland and the league fined the Lakers $25,000. Even their owner, Jerry Buss, was quoted at the time: “Our fans would have been disappointed if the same thing happened here.”
    Utah forward Paul Millsap felt insulted, calling the move “a slap in the face” and citing it as “a little motivation that … got us through.”
    Popovich said he was just doing right by the Spurs, in reaction to the frantic post-lockout schedule. “However you want to look at it, 13 games in 18 days, or 16 games in 23 days or ending the season four in five nights, it’s just crazy,” he said that night. “So I’ve got to do something about it.”
    But that?
    Is Adam Silver going to be facing "significant sanctions" from Stern also?
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  11. #33
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,600

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To add to that point:

    The league is already at a disadvantage tonight because of the Saints-Falcons game. The NFL is already an inherently more popular sport, and those are two fairly popular teams who also happen to be in the same division. One has only lost one game, and the other won the championship just three years ago and has one of the league's most marketable players in Brees. The NBA was already going to lose to the NFL tonight simply because the NFL is more popular. But even less people are going to watch the NBA tonight when you have one of the teams essentially throwing the game.

    You can't essentially throw a game on national TV against the defending champions when the league is trying to get viewers from the NFL and not expect the hammer to come down.
    I think push is starting to come to shove here, the NBA can't have its cake and eat it too. Does San Antonio really need to go to Indiana, Toronto, Washington, and Orlando every year? Stern is diluting the product by mandating so many games, which puts a lot of wear and tear on the players. Obviously no one but Pops has done anything this drastic, but I bet at some point during a national televised game in the middle of a road trip a coach gave some starters extra rest. This kind of stuff is destined to happen given the NBA's rigorous schedule.

    I think the NBA would be more popular and have a better product with less games, part of the aura of the NFL is that the teams don't play as much, people always want more. Meanwhile we all groan about having to sit through the 4th Bucks-Pacers game every year.
    Last edited by idioteque; 11-29-2012 at 10:02 PM.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:


  13. #34
    @jwy49 Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,276
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Popp shouldn't care! He is doing what is in the best interest of his team. And as for bandwagoners, lots of people like Miami just for LeBron or because they won the championship. Their stadium is always packed with heat fans. So, the ticket issue is not a problem.


    Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

  14. #35
    STRAIGHT UP pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,011
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    It just kills me that Stern is openly admitting to anyone who has enough sense to think about it that he does not care about the game, doesn't care about winning, doesn't care about players - it's all about the money, boys!

    Look at the exact opposite in our game against the Lakers: Pop sits healthy players in a largely meaningless game (non-conference, November game) to keep them healthy, and Stern is going to fine them. Kobe plays with the flu in a largely meaningless game (non-conference, November game), and of course there is nothing. If Stern gave a hoot about the players, the fine would be for playing the sick player, not keeping the healthy players healthy.

    $$$$$$$$$$$ >>>> the game, the players, the fans
    Last edited by pizza guy; 11-29-2012 at 10:06 PM.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

    @The_Real_CJake

  15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:


  16. #36
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,429

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    I can't wait until February 2014.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  18. #37
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,991

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It just kills me that Stern is openly admitting to anyone who has enough sense to think about it that he does not care about the game, doesn't care about winning, doesn't care about players - it's all about the money, boys!
    Everything revolves around money. It's best to just accept that, because it's neverr going to change. Stern knows that the NBA was already going to lose against the NFL tonight. Having the Spurs throw the game ensured that even less people would watch. As Commissioner, that's going to upset you. How can you even try to compete against the NFL tonight when one of your teams clearly doesn't give a damn?

  19. #38
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,627

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Popp shouldn't care! He is doing what is in the best interest of his team. And as for bandwagoners, lots of people like Miami just for LeBron or because they won the championship. Their stadium is always packed with heat fans. So, the ticket issue is not a problem.


    Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    When I pick the Pacers games I go to, I consider the teams I'm going to watch every single time. It's not strange to think that Heat fans would pick certain games to see certain players. They sure didn't pay to watch the Boris Diaw highlight machine.


    And as for the adam silver/no fine thing from last year...in the part after the first bold he said that that season was unique, talking about its condensed state. Unique, as in it's not the same as this year.

  20. #39
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,139

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Btw, there's no slippery slope here. You're best guys have to at least be in the building and give the appearance that they're going to play, so your viewing audience doesn't turn the channel before the game even starts.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  22. #40
    The Dude Abides MrSparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,372

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Turns out that the Spurs might have just had a secret strategy to win the game after all.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to MrSparko For This Useful Post:


  24. #41
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,429

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    And as for the adam silver/no fine thing from last year...in the part after the first bold he said that that season was unique, talking about its condensed state. Unique, as in it's not the same as this year.
    Evidentally not all that unique if the Spurs are playing 4 games in 5 nights during a traditional 82 game season....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  26. #42
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,627

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Evidentally not all that unique if the Spurs are playing 4 games in 5 nights during a traditional 82 game season....
    However, they were already in Florida from their game in Orlando the night before and it was a blowout from the beginning. They could have easily only played their guys 20 minutes then put them out for 20 minutes the next night if they wanted to rest them.

    They get paid ridiculous amounts of money for being very good at something that people like to watch. Saying that they need rest from 4 hours of availability and 30 minutes of basketball is ridiculous. They're professionals.

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:


  28. #43
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,828

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Where does it say that every team must play they best players at all times? Would it make a difference if this was the playoffs and the Spurs were up 3-0?

    If they get fined, I expect them to appeal
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  29. #44
    Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,778

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Man, this is some of the most inspired basketball I've ever seen in the NBA! I can understand where Stern is coming from as far as marketability and sponsorship concerns, but this group is just flat outplaying the Heat right now.

  30. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    I'm taking back whatever I said about Pop not playing the starters, I'm loving this game tonight.

  31. #46
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,441

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    They're going to pull it out in the closing minutes, but the HEAT are the ones that should be receiving sanctions for even making this close. Absolutely UNACCEPTABLE! Lol
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 11-29-2012 at 10:24 PM.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  33. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Diaw is playing some good D tonight I wonder where are the people that said that he sucks on D?

  34. #48
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,627

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're going to pull it out in the closing minutes, but the HEAT are the ones that should be receiving sanctions for even making this close. Absolutely UNACCEPTABLE!
    It's worth noting that the Heat defense is solid for everything but excellent ball movement and good 3 point shooting. Which is what the entire Spurs team does well.

  35. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,134

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    However, they were already in Florida from their game in Orlando the night before and it was a blowout from the beginning. They could have easily only played their guys 20 minutes then put them out for 20 minutes the next night if they wanted to rest them.

    They get paid ridiculous amounts of money for being very good at something that people like to watch. Saying that they need rest from 4 hours of availability and 30 minutes of basketball is ridiculous. They're professionals.

    Well then the NFL should go to two games a week and double the amount of games in a season, and there should only be one starting pitcher. :eyeroll: Yeah they are professionals, but it isn't like they are playing a nice relaxing sport like bowling. There is a physical toll taken by these players, and it only gets more difficult as they get older (notice Pop is resting his old guys not his young ones). It isn't like high school or college were you play one game a week, so when you do play multiple games within 2 or 3 days you are more physically able to recover quickly. For the most part these guys are playing almost every other day already. That is why you hear about players "taking a night off". It isn't because they are lazy, but because they just can't play that many games in such a compact schedule.

  36. #50
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,144

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The ratings for this game will be crap because a big chunk of their viewing audience stopped giving a crap about this game and turned it off before it started.

    Stern isn't apologizing to the fans. He's apologizing to TNT, Gatorade and all the other corporate partners that paid the nba a lot of money to sponsor games like this.
    I agree. But I don't find a reason that we, as fans, should care about Stern apologizing to TNT, Gatorade and all the other corporate partners.

  37. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-09-2012, 05:40 PM
  2. Spurs begin resting starters in win against Jazz [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-09-2011, 11:20 PM
  3. Commissioner David Stern: NBA will discuss issue of resting players [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2010, 05:00 PM
  4. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 05:12 PM
  5. Why the fans won't be punished by the NBA
    By Natston in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 04:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •