Thread: Legacy of a Buzzer-Beater: How George Hill Beat the Lakers

Default Legacy of a Buzzer-Beater: How George Hill Beat the Lakers

Hadn't seen this posted yet. It seems like the Pacers get more than expected coverage from Grantland.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...eat-the-lakers

After the game, Frank Vogel suggested David West could have set an actual screen for Hill, but he never came close to doing so, and it doesn’t appear West had any intention of setting a real screen. He instead ran hard up toward Hill as if he were going to screen Metta World Peace, only to suddenly veer off toward the top of the 3-point arc and away from Hill.

Monty Williams ran this play with West and Chris Paul all the time in New Orleans, especially in clutch situations. It was a straight-up decoy then; Williams instructed West merely to fake a screen for Paul before darting away toward the center of the court, as he did last night. The idea, Williams has told me, is to trick the point guard’s defender (World Peace) into thinking a screen is coming to Hill’s right. In anticipation of that pick, a defender will often open up his stance slightly, better angling himself to chase the point guard over the pick, as World Peace does here:
    Saw it on Indy Cornrows.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Legacy of a Buzzer-Beater: How George Hill Beat the Lakers

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hadn't seen this posted yet. It seems like the Pacers get more than expected coverage from Grantland.

Saw it on Indy Cornrows.
    Interesting. You can actually see the step that opens Artest stance at .06. Hill almost immediately drives when he sees Artest anticipate the screen.

But Frank Vogel doesn't run any plays ever and the Pacers are terrible at the end of games!

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post

Saw it on Indy Cornrows.
    Nice post.

I watched the video several times. I'm concluding that it doesn't have to be all that sophisticated. There's no need for anticipating an Artest millisecond pause or something; he's supposed to switch anyway. I guess it's good to have a quick Hill against a slower footed Gasol, but I'm not so sure the best percentage situation is a floater with Gasol right behind you and the best defender in the NBA in front of you.

What you have here is an absolutely fantastic shot by George Hill. I could watch it 20 more times.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Nice post.

I watched the video several times. I'm concluding that it doesn't have to be all that sophisticated. There's no need for anticipating an Artest millisecond pause or something; he's supposed to switch anyway. I guess it's good to have a quick Hill against a slower footed Gasol, but I'm not so sure the best percentage situation is a floater with Gasol right behind you and the best defender in the NBA in front of you.

What you have here is an absolutely fantastic shot by George Hill. I could watch it 20 more times.
    What impressed me about the shot was he had the presence of mind to put it high off the glass. His decision was correct, and he adjusted his layup to anticipate Dwight coming over and put it in a spot where D12 couldn't get a hand on it.

It was a great play, and a great way to get World Peace off of Hill. I'll take Gasol trying to keep up with Hill anyday.

Maybe Frank can talk to M.Williams some more and get Hill to turn into a CP clone.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacers74 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    What impressed me about the shot was he had the presence of mind to put it high off the glass. His decision was correct, and he adjusted his layup to anticipate Dwight coming over and put it in a spot where D12 couldn't get a hand on it.
    The said on the post game show that Hill practices that shot more than anyone else in the NBA.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers74 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    The said on the post game show that Hill practices that shot more than anyone else in the NBA.
    This is a shot that requires a lot of practice to be consistent with, as a smaller player one would be wise to master it. You can just see Hill's confidence with the shot, he knew it was in before it was in.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

What makes that even better is if Hill did hit it off too hard Mahinmi was right there for an easy put back.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

What impressed me about the shot was he had the presence of mind to put it high off the glass.
    Hill's best attribute on offense is the touch on his floater in the lane.