Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Super quick L.A. thoughts....

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Super quick L.A. thoughts....

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One good game ouf of 15 still does not make him be worth 4mil a year for the next four years, the same with Green and his one good game long time ago, lets hope they get better but so far that's wasted money.

And nope I'm not trying to be negative I'm just telling it like it is without the blinders.
    This is what I'm talking about with the narrative building. "One good game out of 15."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

How do the Pacers not get Lance more involved on the offensive end. He can get his own shot, and one of the few players that can. But they mostly just stick him in a corner. Get the ball in his hands. He had 0 dimes last night...and 0 TOs. Missed some shots though, but then everyone did.

I'm ready for some kind of change, namely the coach.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This is what I'm talking about with the narrative building. "One good game out of 15."
    Yeah, eventually you start having to add the one good games up, instead of conveniently forgetting the other good games.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Bell is not the same player he once was, Bell is still in Utah's roster by the way.
    The Jazz have informed Bell that his agent can find a suitable move to a different team. Utah will buy out whatever is left on his contract, and he'll sign with his new team for the veteran's minimum.

Older Raja Bell is better than Sam Young. And Raja Bell can still score a bit, and has 3 point range.
    Last edited by notque; 11-28-2012 at 01:15 PM.
    Removed link to my website after a PM from Able.

Banned

One or two good games were he showed that he is worth the 4mil they are paying him? yes, unless you count pre-season were he looked like Olajuwon, so far he has looked like crap, at least for a 4mil a year player.(And nope Seth I'm not looking a Sinergy either).

I like the guy by the way and I was happy for a minute when they made the trade I just don't think that he has live up to his contract, the same goes for Hibbert, Green and Augustin, I'm not a huge fan of Young but at least he doesn't have a long term contract and is not making as much either so he is easier to forget.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 11-28-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    How do the Pacers not get Lance more involved on the offensive end. He can get his own shot, and one of the few players that can. But they mostly just stick him in a corner. Get the ball in his hands. He had 0 dimes last night...and 0 TOs. Missed some shots though, but then everyone did.

I'm ready for some kind of change, namely the coach.
    Did you not see what happened when we did try that last night? The offense was horrible because he was trying to do everything on his own, but wasn't able to. Granted a part of that was playing against Artest, but it just highlighted how far he still needs to go before he should be "freed".

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by notque View Post
    The Jazz have informed Bell that his agent can find a suitable move to a different team. Utah will buy out whatever is left on his contract, and he'll sign with his new team for the veteran's minimum.

Older Raja Bell is better than Sam Young. And Raja Bell can still score a bit, and has 3 point range.
    If Bell becomes a free agent there is not doubt he goes to LA, I rather aim higher and make a trade to bring somebody else.

I think Hansbrough is becoming the new Foster. Plahys defense, hustles, bangs people around and ticks them off and rebounds. All he needs is resigned and over paid and the replacement is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    I think Hansbrough is becoming the new Foster. Plahys defense, hustles, bangs people around and ticks them off and rebounds. All he needs is resigned and over paid and the replacement is done.
    In terms of his hustle absolutely. Very much needed. Even though he is a bull on offense, he has a better offensive skill set than Foster. I for one would be happy if Tyler followed in Foster's footsteps as a lifelong Pacer.

If Bell becomes a free agent there is not doubt he goes to LA, I rather aim higher and make a trade to bring somebody else.
    I'm fine with aiming higher, but while we still have Sam Young on the team, we need to aim for average.

Banned

I'm fine with aiming higher, but while we still have Sam Young on the team, we need to aim for average.
    Like I said before I don't really care what Young is doing and for 800k you can do worse, I like to compare value with production and so far Young is on the bottom of the list, I'm not saying that I love the guy or that I want to see him playing but to me he is playing for a reason, because the guys in front of him are not doing better.

I might ad that one thing I don't like about Young is that he has the ability or the bad luck to give away a lot of and 1's to whatever player he is guarding, he gives at least two or three and 1's per game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacertron View Post
    In terms of his hustle absolutely. Very much needed. Even though he is a bull on offense, he has a better offensive skill set than Foster. I for one would be happy if Tyler followed in Foster's footsteps as a lifelong Pacer.
    Good lord, Bird wanted a team of Fosters. First Tyler, then Plumlee. He left before he had ample time to bring his real plan to fruition.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Like I said before I don't really care what Young is doing and for 800k you can do worse, I like to compare value with production and so far Young is on the bottom of the list, I'm not saying that I love the guy or that I want to see him playing but to me he is playing for a reason, because the guys in front of him are not doing better.

I might ad that one thing I don't like about Young is that he has the ability or the bad luck to give away a lot of and 1's to whatever player he is guarding, he gives at least two or three and 1's per game.
    I wouldn't care what Sam Young was doing if he wasn't playing. The fact I have to watch him drive to the basket and completely screw up is an issue.

If he just stuck to defense and jumpers and otherwise didn't bother doing the things he can't do, I'd be much less annoyed. But you can watch him out of control running at the basket and know a turnover is on it's way.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The great defensive numbers have continued to hold for the Ps. They hold opponents to the worst fg% in the league, rebound the most, outrebound their opponents the most, and leading the league in blocks.

If the Pacers ever figure out to be consistant on the offensive end, the can really turn their record around quickly.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    The great defensive numbers have continued to hold for the Ps. They hold opponents to the worst fg% in the league, rebound the most, outrebound their opponents the most, and leading the league in blocks.

If the Pacers ever figure out to be consistant on the offensive end, the can really turn their record around quickly.
    IMO, if Hibbert simply reverts back to his FG% and FGA averages, we would be winning a significantly larger number of games.

Without Granger.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Banned

I wouldn't care what Sam Young was doing if he wasn't playing. The fact I have to watch him drive to the basket and completely screw up is an issue.

If he just stuck to defense and jumpers and otherwise didn't bother doing the things he can't do, I'd be much less annoyed. But you can watch him out of control running at the basket and know a turnover is on it's way.
    I see that you feel about Young the same way I feel about Green and Mahinmi, the only difference is that Young doesn't have a long term contract and is not making much, in fact he is the type of player/contract I would like for the Pacers to get instead of signing similar scrubs for more.

I agree with you though, I wish he didn't try to be such an offensive weapon because he is just not that good on offense, at least we need to thank god he is not making much and probably won't be back next year.

If that happened we would quickly be considered an elite team.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, there are an awful lot of people saying that the Pacers only have great defensive numbers because most teams have played like crap against them.

Me, I give the defense a HECK of a lot of credit for that, but who am I next to ESPN?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Did you not see what happened when we did try that last night? The offense was horrible because he was trying to do everything on his own, but wasn't able to. Granted a part of that was playing against Artest, but it just highlighted how far he still needs to go before he should be "freed".
    Wasn't the offense horrible anyway? I wouldn't pin those plays all on Lance, guys were just standing around clueless. Overall his game wasn't bad. He had a couple drives that led to the ball being swung around the perimeter for open shots, played good D, handled the ball very well, and was plus 9 on the court.

Free Lance!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Well, there are an awful lot of people saying that the Pacers only have great defensive numbers because most teams have played like crap against them.

Me, I give the defense a HECK of a lot of credit for that, but who am I next to ESPN?
    I'd like to team up with some people (you perhaps?) to come up with data to support that claim. I think it's there.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post

I have not seen anybody saying that and yes we have to give the Pacers D a lot of credit for what they are doing, specially Roy and Paul George.

Sports Logo

No one said he'll ever be an "impact player." Certainly not me. Just that he's far from a walking $4 million mistake like so many people are quick to accuse him of.
    Apologies....."impact player" is the wrong word to use. I meant more of a rotational Player that can be counted on to contribute on the offensive and defensive end of the court...think a "slightly better offensive version" of Jeff Foster.

To be clear, I am not disagreeing with you that Mahinmi ( much like Green ) just needs some time to adjust to his role on the Team and that he can contribute more....I'm simply trying to assess his offensive skills beyond a solid mid-range jumpshot ( for a Big Man ), getting put-back points while going for rebounds and being a solid FT shooter for a Big Man.

What I don't know if he has any other type of reliable go-to-moves that can be relied upon if he is called upon to score....or if he will get his points like the way that Foster did
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Apologies....."impact player" is the wrong word to use. I meant more of a rotational Player that can be counted on to contribute on the offensive and defensive end of the court...think a "slightly better offensive version" of Jeff Foster.

To be clear, I am not disagreeing with you that Mahinmi ( much like Green ) just needs some time to adjust to his role on the Team and that he can contribute more....I'm simply trying to assess his offensive skills beyond a solid mid-range jumpshot ( for a Big Man ), getting put-back points while going for rebounds and being a solid FT shooter for a Big Man.

What I don't know if he has any other type of reliable go-to-moves that can be relied upon if he is called upon to score....or if he will get his points like the way that Foster did
    The guy had taken a total of ~400 attempts *total* in his previous four seasons. Expecting well developed, reliable offensive moves might be a reach at this point in his career.

This is the first time in his career where he's actually being given the chance to really contribute offensively. A decent midrange shot along with put-backs seems like a good start. Expecting a refined post game is more realistic within a year or two.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

This is what I am saying.......the defense and offense for the Starting lineup is great....but the weakest aspect of this Team is the 2nd unit and it's ability to score. It may take another month...but I think that with a combination of Vogel figuring out what the best combination of Starters and the 2nd Unit and DJ, Green, Mahinmi and ( most notably ) Stephenson becoming more comfortable with their roles when they are on the floor...I think that the scoring end of the 2nd Unit equation is going to figure itself out. I know that it will suck for another couple of weeks if not for the next month....but I think that they just need time. As you suggest....once they figure it out....heck, even if Green and Stephenson becomes more confident.....we'll become far more competitive.

Another related question in relation to the 2nd unit....we know that the offense sucks with most of the Players from the 2nd unit ( often having to rely upon a Starter to score )...but how is the overall defense of Green, Mahinmi, Young and Stephenson ( I'm including him in the discussion for the long-term ) when they are on the floor?
    Last edited by CableKC; 11-28-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This is what I am saying.......the weakest aspect of this Team is the 2nd unit and it's ability to score. It may take another month...but I think that with a combination of Vogel figuring out what the best combination of Starters and the 2nd Unit and DJ, Green, Mahinmi and ( most notably ) Stephenson becoming more comfortable with their roles when they are on the floor...I think that the scoring end of the 2nd Unit equation is going to figure itself out. I know that it will suck for another couple of weeks if not for the next month....but I think that they just need time. As you suggest....once they figure it out....heck, even if Green and Stephenson becomes more confident.....we'll become far more competitive.

Another related question in relation to the 2nd unit....we know that the offense sucks with most of the Players from the 2nd unit ( often having to rely upon a Starter to score )...but how is the overall defense of Green, Mahinmi, Young and Stephenson ( I'm including him in the discussion for the long-term ) when they are on the floor?
    Surprised you haven't pointed out that 3 out of the starting 5 (Hill, George, and Hibbert) are shooting at or below 40%?

Isn't that an issue?