Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Super quick L.A. thoughts....

Sports Logo

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Super quick L.A. thoughts....

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Surprised you haven't pointed out that 3 out of the starting 5 (Hill, George, and Hibbert) are shooting at or below 40%?

Isn't that an issue?
    Not as much of an issue compared to the 2nd unit scoring.

I'm not as concerned as much with the scoring from Hill, GH and Hibbert....I think that their scoring and shooting will improve over time as they adjust to life without Granger...for the next 2-3 months...and then will continue to improve when Granger does return.

Believe me, I hate the PG shooting percentage sucks compared to last year....but I know that he also has a far different role than he did last year. I hate the Hibbert has reverted to Bruce Banner compared to the Hulk that he was in the Playoffs last year....but I think that all of these concerns will recede over time.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I have not seen anybody saying that and yes we have to give the Pacers D a lot of credit for what they are doing, specially Roy and Paul George.
    ESPN today pretty much said the Lakers' only problem was their offense. No real mention of Pacers' defense, at least while I was watching at the health club.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    ESPN today pretty much said the Lakers' only problem was their offense. No real mention of Pacers' defense, at least while I was watching at the health club.
    Well their offense is horrible, not just for the game last night but the whole season reason why they got rid of Mike Brown and hired D'Antoni(an offensive coach).

Well their offense is horrible, not just for the game last night but the whole season reason why they got rid of Mike Brown and hired D'Antoni(an offensive coach).
    I thought their offensive average was 99 ppg. Last night they scored 77. Now, either their offense was 20+% worse than their usual bad offense, or the Pacers' defense made them look even worse than usual.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

Banned

I thought their offensive average was 99 ppg. Last night they scored 77. Now, either their offense was 20+% worse than their usual bad offense, or the Pacers' defense made them look even worse than usual.
    By bad offense I mean no offense at all, I've been watching them since the begginning of the year and they don't know what to do in offense, yes they score 99 points per game but they score that much because of the weapons they have not because their offense is that good.

Not saying that the Pacers D didn't have anything to do with it but acting like the Pacers shut them down is not accurate in my opinion.

Edit: For example Morris was open must of the night and he made 0 out of 6 open uncontested shots, Artest had similar open shots and made 1 out of 8, Jamison 1 out of 7, Duhon 0 out of 3, Meeks 0 out of 3.

Note that I'm just counting the players that in the majority of their time on the floor were shooting long jumpers and uncontested 3's, Kobe, Gasol and Howard were to me the only ones that were taking contested shots must of the time and great job by the Pacers defense for somewhat controlling them.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 11-28-2012 at 05:05 PM.

By bad offense I mean no offense at all, I've been watching them since the begginning of the year and they don't know what to do in offense, yes they score 99 points per game but they score that much because of the weapons they have not because their offense is that good.

Not saying that the Pacers D didn't have anything to do with it but acting like the Pacers shut them down is not accurate in my opinion.
    These are serious questions, I'm not just blowing you off -

1) If a "bad" offense is still "effective" - meaning it puts up 99 points per game - what exactly are you describing as "bad" and what is it that makes the "bad" part of the offense matter? My reason for asking this is that even if your offense is "give it to the superstar and let him score" I wouldn't describe it as "no" offense unless the superstar isn't scoring. For it to be "bad", there must be something that renders it vulnerable - inconsistency, subject to failure if a single component isn't present, etc.

2) If a "bad" offense is rendered "ineffective" - meaning it puts up 20% fewer points in a game - what DID shut them down? Is it that the offense as it stands has already shown to have a deviation that in and of itself explains a 20-point swing? I'd submit that this is the lowest regular season point total for the Lakers, 5 points lower than the previous (which was against San Antonio, arguably a strong defensive team that WOULD get credit for "shutting them down"), and near the outside end of 2 standard deviations from that average point total. That would qualify, to me, as "shut down" no matter how "bad" the opponent offense actually is.

In other words, yes, the Lakers aren't the offensive powerhouse they have been in years past. However, the Pacers defense took the current Laker offense to an extended low, which can't be sufficiently explained by the inconsistency of the Lakers offense or by unforced failure of individual players. After such an analysis, I think we CAN say the Pacers defense was more than just peripherally involved and was likely the most significant factor in the Lakers offensive (in both senses of the word) performance.
    BillS

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

The Lakers scored 115 against the Mavs over the weekend, btw. Their offense is improving. We exploited their offensive weaknesses by clogging the lane with our bigs and they don't really have anyone to take advantage of our biggest weakness at PG. i also thought we did a good job limiting Kobe's effectiveness as a facilitator and closing out on threes. For a team without players to create offense for others by getting into the lane, a big team like the Pacers is a nightmare.

If they had hit a regular percent of FTs and limited TOs a bit, I still doubt they would have cracked 90. We definitely lucked out a bit but, then again, we had some bad luck on offense too. We'll take it.
    Last edited by rexnom; 11-28-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Banned

By the way did anybody else noticed that people were yelling at Morris not to shoot it anymore? that guy is just a horrible player.

Sports Logo

By the way did anybody else noticed that people were yelling at Morris not to shoot it anymore? that guy is just a horrible player.
    Well, I know some fans that were cheering him ( and Duhon ) to shoot more
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

BAMF's go to move, his "Reggie Miller curl off screen, leg kicking 3PA" = pushing into 2 guys, literally shoving them away and then hitting the soft one footed fade away. He might be the most physical pure offensive player in the game. I swear he actually enjoys the contact as part of his scoring move. You could probably defend him better by not letting him bump into you.

Ian absolutely has an issue with ball handling on drives, that's his weak spot and the next area he needs to improve. I think he can, but for now it's a TO waiting to happen. He is athletic and smooth enough to get it, much in the way that PG could also take better care of the ball.

I love/hate Joey Crawford
    Me too. I love the insta-tech, not dealing with this crap attitude, but sometimes he needs to realize that not every call is beyond question. Let a guy have a voice on a call that maybe you missed or was at least close. There are ways to handle things without being so over the top.

However I do think a lot of this comes from a passion he has for reffing. And that brings me back to liking him.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacertron View Post
    In terms of his hustle absolutely. Very much needed. Even though he is a bull on offense, he has a better offensive skill set than Foster. I for one would be happy if Tyler followed in Foster's footsteps as a lifelong Pacer.
    Foster's hops make fun of Tyler's hops and then beat the hell out of them. This is not close. Foster had one of the quickest verts in the game before the back problems. I saw him catch one pass virtually at the rim on a full sprint and still get it up and over. His quick vert was part of his 2nd ups that allowed him to contest, land and then go back up for another shot at the board.

Tyler has none of this. As Peck pointed out Tyler looked overmatched by size/vertical game all night. He doesn't contest rebounds vertically, only laterally when he bangs around into people and chases them down after they hit the floor or at least shoulder height.

In that regard he is an elite hustler and he is an elite foul drawer. But in basically every other way he remains quite sub-par. His lack of vertical power is a big factor in his poor FG% and why he has a HUGE amount of blocked dunk attempts (check 82games.com).

Ian is smoother and stronger than Foster, not as quick and doesn't have his vertical (quickness or distance). Ian has a more reliable jumper, neither could dribble drive. Ian does have a post game that is usable at least. Foster might have the edge on defense due to hands.

Ian should be the better offensive player when it's all said and done but he'll never be the rebounder Foster was.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Foster's hops make fun of Tyler's hops and then beat the hell out of them.
    Are you trying to tell me that you don't think Tyler could dunk it from the free throw line? Get out of here.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    I'd like to team up with some people (you perhaps?) to come up with data to support that claim. I think it's there.
    So far the average ranking for the teams the Pacers have faced in both FG% and PPG is 16th. The Pacers have played 6 games against teams ranked in the top 10 for FG% and 4 games against teams in the top 10 of PPG. However this includes the Spurs twice.

On the other hand they also only have 6 games against teams in the bottom 10 in FG% and 4 in the bottom 10 of PPG.

So an average distribution of opponents, not too hard nor too easy.

BUT...only 4 times out of 15 have teams scored above their average PPG. The Spurs by 2 the other night, the Hornets by 13 in OT, the TWolves by 4 and the Kings by 4 in 2OT. SIX times they've held opponents to at least 5 points below their average, contrasted with only 1 team going for more than 5 points over their average...and that's in an OT game. They've held 4 opponents to more than 10 below their average PPG and 3 of those teams are top 11 FG% teams (Dallas, New York, LAL)

This suggests a non-normalized random distribution. We should expect an average set of opponents to yield about a 50/50 split of above/below their scoring average. Instead we have clear weighting toward many teams scoring far below their norm and only a few getting above their norm even a small amount.

The debate about their defensive capability is really pretty silly actually. This isn't even close. It's just more subjective analysis by the king of it. Remember the examples that support the POV, forget or ignore the ones that don't.

PS - if I removed their scores against the Pacers from their total PPG average then these numbers would be even more skewed because 12 out of 15 opponents would see a rise in their overall PPG. What these teams do against Indiana is worse than what they do against other teams, and that's true for virtually every opponent.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 11-28-2012 at 08:15 PM.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Are you trying to tell me that you don't think Tyler could dunk it from the free throw line? Get out of here.
    I love how so many PD'ers were buying the junk Bird was selling about Tyler's workout vertical. Sure you didn't see it for 4 years in UNC, but once we got him behind closed doors it was LOOK OUT!

I don't hate Tyler, I hate his insane fanbase and the disconnect between merit earned support and the amount of support he actually gets. Tyler's a good, hard working kid that I can easily root for if I wasn't always dealing with "he's so great" comments.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

I love how so many PD'ers were buying the junk Bird was selling about Tyler's workout vertical. Sure you didn't see it for 4 years in UNC, but once we got him behind closed doors it was LOOK OUT!

I don't hate Tyler, I hate his insane fanbase and the disconnect between merit earned support and the amount of support he actually gets. Tyler's a good, hard working kid that I can easily root for if I wasn't always dealing with "he's so great" comments.

I think I'm fairly objective concerning Tyler. I don't think we'll ever see him in an all star game but there is a place for him on this team as an energy player. I see very little love given to him on here and I can't think of anyone calling him great in the past 2 years.

David West always does well vs. Gasol.
    But Gasol right now looks like he has no confidence. The Lakers should probably blame themselves and David Stern, though. He was a key to their 3 finals, then they trade him and fail at it, and then they ask him to sacrifice his game for Bynum and phase him out of his offensive comfort zones. It's a shame.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    Wasn't the offense horrible anyway? I wouldn't pin those plays all on Lance, guys were just standing around clueless. Overall his game wasn't bad. He had a couple drives that led to the ball being swung around the perimeter for open shots, played good D, handled the ball very well, and was plus 9 on the court.

Free Lance!!! lol
    Exactly. Lance was waiting for guys to do something to start a play. Nobody did. Finally he had to try something and he took an outside shot. This happened once, maybe twice. It didn't look at all to me like a clear out for him to do something.

I'll stick with my opinion that when the clamps come down by a great defense (not the Lakers lol) or in the playoffs, that neither Hill nor George will be able to loosen up the defense. We will need Lance.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

25. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

BUT...only 4 times out of 15 have teams scored above their average PPG. The Spurs by 2 the other night, the Hornets by 13 in OT, the TWolves by 4 and the Kings by 4 in 2OT. SIX times they've held opponents to at least 5 points below their average, contrasted with only 1 team going for more than 5 points over their average...and that's in an OT game. They've held 4 opponents to more than 10 below their average PPG and 3 of those teams are top 11 FG% teams (Dallas, New York, LAL)

This suggests a non-normalized random distribution. We should expect an average set of opponents to yield about a 50/50 split of above/below their scoring average. Instead we have clear weighting toward many teams scoring far below their norm and only a few getting above their norm even a small amount.
    How does pace figure into all this? Are we're using up more of the shot clock than other teams, giving our opponents fewer opportunities to score over the course of a game?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    How does pace figure into all this? Are we're using up more of the shot clock than other teams, giving our opponents fewer opportunities to score over the course of a game?
    This would make sense, if opponents weren't averaging more FGA against the Pacers than they normally would. (although I think that has to do with turnovers, and lower fg% more than anything)

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    We have one of the slowest paces in the NBA.

The debate about their defensive capability is really pretty silly actually. This isn't even close. It's just more subjective analysis by the king of it. Remember the examples that support the POV, forget or ignore the ones that don't.
    Great post. Agreed that it's silly to debate high Pacer defensive effectiveness given the sample size we now have.

What I'm interested in, is understanding what about the Pacer defense is causing the low FG%. From my eyes, opponents do get open looks reasonably often. They're just missing them.

Are there stats kept around %'s of contested shots per team defense?
    How about statistics about when in the possession (from a timing perspective) shots go off?

I spent some time looking on the net last night and didn't find a whole lot.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

In other words, yes, the Lakers aren't the offensive powerhouse they have been in years past.
    The Lakers might not be a top 4 offensive team, but their 8th in FG% now. The only reason why they don't score, is because they turn the ball over. They're #1 in team TOs at 17.2 a game.

Trying to argue that the Lakers suck offensively, which is why their shooting percentage was so low, just isn't reality.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Banned

The Pacers were 17-of-27 from the foul line against the Lakers. Luckily for Indiana, the Lakers were 23-of-43.
    Thanks god for the Pacers free throw defense ...............

Thanks god for the Pacers free throw defense ...............
    9 of those 20 misses were by Dwight Howard. The Lakers haven't been a great free throw shooting team all season and have still been scoring much more than they did on Tuesday.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

66.8% on FTs as a team for the entire year, so missing FTs (especially for Howard) is their pattern. Shooting poorly from the field, isn't their pattern. (Here's a secret, the Lakers have shot less than 44.4%, league median, three times, including the Pacers game)

No need to acknowledge stats though. He watches the game, and his eyes are never wrong.