Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Lakers postgame

Default Re: Pacers/Lakers postgame

Couldn't watch the game. Glad for the win, but both teams have been struggling this season and this game showed just that.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not to tone down the fun or anything on this game and ripping on the Lakers. But, I remember last year what happened when we were all so Happy with Roy leading us to victory against the Lakers only to follow it up by playing the kings next and getting absolutely murdered on the offensive glass. If I were Vogel that would be the first point I make coming off of this win with regard to the next opponent.
    Buzzkill.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MyFavMartin For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I know the FG% was low for both teams, but I thought this was a fantastically entertaining game. Tons of energy on both sides, and in the crowd. Lots of drama. Close finish with a lot of clutch shots and theatrics.

Indy led this game for most of it, and when a guy scores over half of his teams points, you generally don't want to see them win the game, because that's not team basketball. So the good guys won in this case. I knew when they said Kobe was game-time decision because of the flu --- he was going to play, and he was going to go off on us. That's what he ALWAYS does. He's a big drama queen, lol... why can't he play like that all the time. Because he wants the attention.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    ?? The other Lakers outside of Kobe shot a combined: 12-48 for the game. 25%.

Kobe ALMOST won the game all by himself.

I'm glad the Pacer's won, but the Lakers definitely didn't lose because of Kobe Bryant's effort. Especially considering the fact he had the flu.
    True, the other Lakers shot 12 for 28, including Dwight who shot 7-10. I was very happy they ran their offense through a 34 year old jump shooter with the flu instead of the best center in the league. Besides that last game-tying three that was absolutely going in, I was rooting for Kobe to shoot every time. He was sloppy with the ball and there was absolutely no rhythm in their offense because Kobe wanted to have a "flu game" and played hero ball. Had he taken half the shots and played a little more conservatively with the ball the Lakers would have had a better shot at winning the game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    True, the other Lakers shot 12 for 28, including Dwight who shot 7-10. I was very happy they ran their offense through a 34 year old jump shooter with the flu instead of the best center in the league. Besides that last game-tying three that was absolutely going in, I was rooting for Kobe to shoot every time. He was sloppy with the ball and there was absolutely no rhythm in their offense because Kobe wanted to have a "flu game" and played hero ball. Had he taken half the shots and played a little more conservatively with the ball the Lakers would have had a better shot at winning the game.
    Anytime D12 got the ball anywhere close to the rim, we simply fouled him and made him shoot free throws. Yes he was 7-10, but we probably negated at least another 6 or 7 FGA's with trips to the FT line. Dwight is no longer looking like the best C in the league. That freakish strength is still there, but he whines to the refs wayyyy too much, and if you can stop his initial move, he's pretty much screwed.

I'd be much more afraid of Kobe, than Dwight at this point right now.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Banned

Anytime D12 got the ball anywhere close to the rim, we simply fouled him and made him shoot free throws. Yes he was 7-10, but we probably negated at least another 6 or 7 FGA's with trips to the FT line. Dwight is no longer looking like the best C in the league. That freakish strength is still there, but he whines to the refs wayyyy too much, and if you can stop his initial move, he's pretty much screwed.

Kobe was so mad at his teammates last night that he decided to take over, that Morris guy sucks, Duhon sucks, Artest couldn't shoot to save his life, Gasol was afraid of taking an smaller West of the dribble and post him up for some reason and Howard is not Howard anymore, so if Kobe doesn't take over they were never going to have a chance to win the game.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Kobe was so mad at his teammates last night that he decided to take over, that Morris guy sucks, Duhon sucks, Artest couldn't shoot to save his life, Gasol was afraid of taking an smaller West of the dribble and post him up for some reason and Howard is not Howard anymore, so if Kobe doesn't take over they were never going to have a chance to win the game.
    And also took away any chance away that they might get involved with the offense. It's not like they were exploiting a mismatch. I will take a PG/Young defender combo against an aging guard who has the flu and is working toward 30 shots any night, even if it is Kobe.

It wasn't just the fourth quarter. They either played Kobe 1 on 5 or the rest of the team 4 on 4. And if I recalled correctly this happened the last time we played? He got his 30+ points but had to take an obscene amount of shots then too.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Without Nash running the show for the Lakers, D'Antoni's system simply does not fit with the Lakers. Their lineup is not that fast, and there's just not much ball movement especially with Bryant looking to create for himself

While this has been a bad offensive outing for both clubs, I think the Pacers really showed their dominating defense once again to make the Lakers struggle scoring. It's just that they can't make shots to save their lives that their great defense is almost negated. Good thing Hill showed up on the last minute. The offense really needs a lot of work, and their FTs really needs to be practiced more. I can't believe they have gone so bad as compared to last year, where they have a pretty good team FT% average.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oh, and highlight of the game: Tyler smoking Ron, knocking him on his *** out of bounds. It was a thing of beauty...until we settled for a Roy 20' jumper on a 4 on 5.

And all those fouls put the Lakers in the penalty, and kept Roy Hibbert off the floor. They scored 72 points and almost won. Had Kobe not played I assume they would have scored at least that and probably more.

I truly don't know why the Lakers even got Dwight Howard. They barely use him and he looks confused as to why he's there as well. Hopefully when Nash comes back he can bring some order to the offense and we can see what this team is capable of. Right now it's a boring team to watch, which is annoying to me because I'd like to see them play at an elite level.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Best moment of the game.

how did we get pacer fans in LA

They are simply disorganized that's why they have struggled in recent games. Aside from his FTs, Howard has played great all around. If they went for him for most of their offensive sets they could have killed the Pacers because he can make the interior defense collapse just like how he did in Orlando. He's not being utilized properly, and they prefer to run their offense with Kobe.

Banned

By the way I was looking at places were the Lakers can trade Gasol to and Minnesota makes so much sense is not even funny, Gasol + pick for Dwill, Varea and Roy, that could give D'Antoni the athletic power forward that can also shoot the jumper in Dwill plus and nice backup point guard that can also run his system.

For Minny Gasol makes sense because they would finally have a legit center, a front court duo of Love and Gasol could be nice not only that but if Rubio comes back he'll be playing with his country man, Rubio, Luke, AK47, Love and Gasol? no bad.

By the way I was looking at places were the Lakers can trade Gasol to and Minnesota makes so much sense is not even funny, Gasol + pick for Dwill, Varea and Roy, that could give D'Antoni the athletic power forward that can also shoot the jumper in Dwill plus and nice backup point guard that can also run his system.

For Minny Gasol makes sense because they would finally have a legit center, a front court duo of Love and Gasol could be nice not only that but if Rubio comes back he'll be playing with his country man, Rubio, Luke, AK47, Love and Gasol? no bad.
    I think Pekovic (sp?) is a legit center right now & is significantly younger than Gasol. But since your trade would be for other pieces it makes some sense however I don't know that Pekovic would be happy as the backup now that he is an established starter.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I think Pekovic (sp?) is a legit center right now & is significantly younger than Gasol. But since your trade would be for other pieces it makes some sense however I don't know that Pekovic would be happy as the backup now that he is an established starter.
    I think Pekovic is good I just don't think that he is as versatile as Gasol, Paul and Love interior passing and basketball IQ could do a lot of damage in my opinion, and yes you are right about Pekovic been happy to be a backup I guess we don't know that.

The other part of my proposed trade is that I'm a Dwill fan and to me he is been underused in Minny or not used at all, I think he could be the new version of "the Matrix" but better, D'Antoni could make him look amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I think Pekovic is the perfect compliment to Kevin Love. He does all those things that don't show up in the stats, and Kevin gets all the stats.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    And all those fouls put the Lakers in the penalty, and kept Roy Hibbert off the floor. They scored 72 points and almost won. Had Kobe not played I assume they would have scored at least that and probably more.

I truly don't know why the Lakers even got Dwight Howard. They barely use him and he looks confused as to why he's there as well. Hopefully when Nash comes back he can bring some order to the offense and we can see what this team is capable of. Right now it's a boring team to watch, which is annoying to me because I'd like to see them play at an elite level.
    With the way they were shooting, who knows how many points they would have scored. EVERYONE was off last night. Without Kobe, who on that team is creating anything on the perimeter last night? Gasol had a clear mismatch against D. West, and he got stuffed the majority of the night. I agree they could have went into Dwight a little more, but lets not forget that he was in foul trouble for most of the night as well.

Without any respectable 3pt shooters on the floor, it's easier to clog the lane on D12. Hopefully when Nash comes back, they can get the high pick and roll game working a little more.

Gasol would certainly take cre of the big rotation for Minny if he or Pek would accept a bench role. Would probably be a good trade for both teams if Pau doesn't get more comfortable with the offense in LA.

On a different note, we are a MUCH MUCH better team when G.Hill is aggressive. Not just scoring wise, but in terms of just getting into the lane, pushing the tempo, etc. He is definitely our X-Factor. It seems that when he plays well, we win, and when he doesn't, we don't.

As the starting PG for the Pacers, he has a lot of haters here on PD, who like to gripe about his contract and his play after his bad games, but stay quiet after performances like this. I hope he continues to play well and hits more game winners so that the haters can eat their share of crow.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    True on Roy, he has continued to defend well and contests rebounds nicely. I meant on offense really, meaning his points were hollow because others made them happen.

One thing about Roy this year is the refs are letting him get some blocks that are pretty physical. He had one tonight that to me would be a body contact foul, but this year it's "play on". Whatever, works for me.

I do like the fact that Roy went hard to the basket a few times, it would be nice if he started to do that more often.

On a different note, we are a MUCH MUCH better team when G.Hill is aggressive.
    He's really dialed back shooting the three when the defense goes under the PnR. He still shot 4 of them last night, but they were much more in the offensive flow.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Isn't it possible that the Pacers defense took them out of their game?

Sure looked like it to me. Granted, I haven't watched a lot of D12 this year, but he looked tired/frustrated last night.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post

Sure looked like it to me. Granted, I haven't watched a lot of D12 this year, but he looked tired/frustrated last night.
    And Gasol looked even more tired and frustrated than D12.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by gknjr007 View Post
    how did we get pacer fans in LA
    I dunno

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post

I have seen the Lakers struggle all year this is nothing new, yes the Pacers D was good but I've seen similar games with worse defensive teams.

Regarding Howard, I think he is still trying to get in shape you can tell that he is not jumping or moving as fast as he used to, they throw the ball in the air for him to get it and he can't, remember that last play were West fouled him? If that was the old Howard he dunks the ball before going down, now he has to gather himself to be able to dunk it.