Thread: Lance gets shoe deal

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default Lance gets shoe deal

Not sure if it's been posted yet, a quick search didn't turn up anything, so...

http://www.slamonline.com/online/kic...al-with-and-1/

Lance Stephenson Signs Endorsement Deal With AND 1

The footwear and apparel company welcomes the young, talented Indiana Pacers guard.

by Eldon Khorshidi | @eldonadam
    Monday, November 26th, 2012 at 9:00 am | 8 responses

Some exciting news from the sneaker world this morning: Basketball footwear and apparel company AND 1 has officially signed Indiana Pacers guard Lance Stephenson to an endorsement contract.

SLAM first reported the news via Twitter back on October 2, and Stephenson has exclusively donned AND 1 sneakers during the first month of the NBA season, but the partnership between the storied footwear company and the talented guard was formally announced today.

In the early part of the ’12-’13 campaign, Stephenson has consistently showcased the unique combination of size, skill and power that made him so coveted coming out of high school and college—the same combination that gave NBA legend Larry Bird an unwavering confidence in Lance, and the same combination that has helped Lance gradually rise within the Pacers ranks.

After being selected with the 40th pick in the 2010 NBA Draft, Indiana’s coaching staff brought Lance along in a slow, prudent manner throughout his first two seasons. In only 12 appearances as a rookie, Lance flashed glimpses of potential as an aggressive scorer who had a natural ability to maneuver his way to the basket. In his second season, Lance developed a change of pace, tightened up his handle and perimeter shot, and most importantly, improved his on-ball defense. As a result, he continued his ascension within the organization, becoming a marginal rotation player, appearing in 42 games highlighted by a career-high 22 points in first ever start last April. Now in his third season, Stephenson, fully acclimated to the pace and mindset of the NBA, is paying dividends for the Pacers.

Through the first month of the season, Lance has been a reliable contributor, making his mark felt in a variety of ways. Equipped with a natural ability to initiate and facilitate offense, Stephenson is among the team’s best playmakers. In 24.8 minutes per game, he’s averaging 7.9 points, 2.8 assists and 2.9 rebounds on a remarkable 50.6 percent shooting percentage.

Even if he’s having an off-night offensively or not doing much in terms of the box score, Lance always provides an infectious energy and flair to a sometimes-lifeless Pacers ball club.

As his role continues to increase, and as his game continues to mature, Lance Stephenson—someone myself, E-i-C Ben Osborne and the entire SLAM staff have been pulling for since his days at Lincoln High School—has a chance to emerge into a household name, and for all the right reasons. That’s why AND 1, like thousands of fans across the nation, have jumped on board.

Stay tuned for more details and coverage on the endorsement deal, but for now here is a full press release, courtesy of our friends at AND 1:

New York City/Long Beach, CA (26 November 2012) – AND 1—the basketball brand known for bold statements, topnotch apparel and footwear for on-court performance and off-court lifestyle—has announced the signing of NBA player Lance Stephenson, Jr. to an endorsement contract.

“Lance is a welcome addition to the AND 1 family,” said Robert Purvy, AND1 Brand President. “He is a very promising young talent and is committed to playing at the highest level. We at AND 1 share the same passion, as we produce only the best basketball footwear and apparel for our customers.”

Lance, aka “Born Ready”, is currently in his third year with the Indiana Pacers. He hails from Brooklyn, New York and played for Lincoln High School in Coney Island where he remains as NY state’s all-time leading scorer in high school basketball (2,946 points).

Stephenson has been a winner since high school, with city basketball championships (four years with Lincoln), was named New York State Mr. Basketball, a McDonald’s All-American Team selection in 2009, and was awarded the Big East Rookie of the Year in 2010 with the Cincinnati Bearcats.

The third-year guard is now part of this year’s starting line-up for the Pacers. He is seeing major playing time and according to his coach Frank Vogel “statistically, he’s been our best wing option (with Danny Granger out)”. In just 14 games into the 2012-13 season, he is averaging 7.9ppg, 3rpg and is shooting 47% from 3pt range, and is continuously improving his game.

“I’m really honored to be considered by AND1 to be part of its roster of NBA endorsers” said the 6-foot-5, 228-pound playmaker. “I believe that my on-court playing style and dedication to the game is a perfect match for the AND1 brand’s commitment to producing only the best basketball gear.”
    Is Lance the only current Pacer with a shoe deal? I guess we now know which Pacer is the most marketable.

I can't recall another Pacer having shoe endorsements since JO. Ron-ron had one briefly too I think (his Tru Warier line). Am I missing anyone?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Default Re: Lance gets shoe deal

Not sure if it's "shoe deal", but Granger had 2 Nike Models (Hyperdunk & Airmax)
    Last edited by yoadknux; 11-27-2012 at 06:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I guess it is. Huh, don't know how I missed that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good for him Lance has come on leaps and bounds and i can see why Larry always talked him up.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

And hear I thought West was the official spokesperson for "And 1". He certainly says it enough on the court, he should be getting paid!

Don't really care about shoe deals. Just want Lance to continue to prove doubters wrong and to keep improving.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

9. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    And hear I thought West was the official spokesperson for "And 1".
    Lmao...

Good for Lance, although they are selling And 1 at Walmart now, so I don't know how much of an accomplishment it is.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Lets see if Vogel can catch up with both Bird and the market in determining Lance's value.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

And hear I thought West was the official spokesperson for "And 1". He certainly says it enough on the court, he should be getting paid!

Don't really care about shoe deals. Just want Lance to continue to prove doubters wrong and to keep improving.
    I agree. It still is a long way for Lance. But this endorsement is a good recognition that Lance has that "star potential" and he has come a long way in cleaning up his act. The old Lance would never get this type of deals. Hard work can really do wonders for talented guys like him.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

doesnt PG have a shoe deal?
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    doesnt PG have a shoe deal?
    I don't believe that he has a "Shoe Deal", but he is an avid collector....I read in an interview somewhere that he was trying to "have the best shoe game in the league"....He does do a lot with Nike though, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a shoe deal with them in the near future....

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Nearly every player in the NBA has a "shoe deal." They may not have a player-licensed product, or they may not actively endorse the company on TV, radio, or in appearances, but almost all of them have contracts with the shoe companies to wear their products during the games. The compensation for these contracts varies wildly, but if a player doesn't have any kind of "shoe deal," his agent isn't doing his job.

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Nearly every player in the NBA has a "shoe deal." They may not have a player-licensed product, or they may not actively endorse the company on TV, radio, or in appearances, but almost all of them have contracts with the shoe companies to wear their products during the games. The compensation for these contracts varies wildly, but if a player doesn't have any kind of "shoe deal," his agent isn't doing his job.

This

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As a Lance believer since draft night, I am so excited for him, starting (albeit from injury, but still) and growing up, making a name for himself. I just wish he still wore the Banana Bloodlines.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Attending the University of Louisville in August!
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Not sure if it's been posted yet, a quick search didn't turn up anything, so...

http://www.slamonline.com/online/kic...al-with-and-1/

Is Lance the only current Pacer with a shoe deal? I guess we now know which Pacer is the most marketable.

I can't recall another Pacer having shoe endorsements since JO. Ron-ron had one briefly too I think (his Tru Warier line). Am I missing anyone?

Good for Lance...... He has worked hard and he has matured and made the changes he needed to make. I have become a big fan of Lance.....

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    As a Lance believer since draft night, I am so excited for him, starting (albeit from injury, but still) and growing up, making a name for himself. I just wish he still wore the Banana Bloodlines.
    I think he should keep starting. Bring Granger in off of the bench if the Pacers are winning and have made the adjustment to playing without him.....

I would like to see what his shoe will look like though.

Should nickname them "ankle breakers", or at least have a warning "may break the ankles of frenchmen". I'm looking at you Parker! Fell on your ***! LOL

Now really free Lance!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    no kidding hell even little Hans has a shoe deal. No NBA player pays for shoes they get free ones whenever they want. I doubt Ben gets paid to wear what he wears but getting free shoes is considered a shoe deal.

Wonder how much Lance signed for with And 1

Mood

Should nickname them "ankle breakers", or at least have a warning "may break the ankles of frenchmen". I'm looking at you Parker! Fell on your ***! LOL
    This is what he posted on Twitter.... (which after further investigation appears to be the And1 Empire 2.0 Mid....Doesn't look like it is "his" shoe, but just the one that he is currently sporting...)

http://pics.lockerz.com/s/264293623

We'll throw this in for good measure....

Last edited by ejwallace; 11-27-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: added video...

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ejwallace For This Useful Post:

Banned

The warning label should say "be careful when close to stairs" .......... sorry I had to do it

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    The warning label should say "be careful when close to stairs" .......... sorry I had to do it

Now really free Lance!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well done.

How funny/sad would it be if players actually did that? Randomly throughout the games you hear "Nike!" all the time haha.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

I can't be the only one who thought And-1 went out of business a decade ago.

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This is in jest right?
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 11-27-2012 at 03:23 PM.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    Lmao...

Good for Lance, although they are selling And 1 at Walmart now, so I don't know how much of an accomplishment it is.
    As long as the endorsement money is rolling in, I doubt it much matters where they're sold.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I can't be the only one who thought And-1 went out of business a decade ago.

Also:

This is in jest right?
    I knew they were still around, but yeah And-1 has kind of fallen off the planet recently.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post

Also:

This is in jest right?
    Who's more? Maybe Paul George... maybe not. Lance is pretty well known despite not playing much in the league yet.