Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: When Gnome Roams Naptown Will Follow (2012)

Sports Logo

Default Re: When Gnome Roams Naptown Will Follow (2012)

For all of the PD members that will be at the game in Oracle Arena....I'll be in Section 102 in Row 2. I'll be the only Asian guy in a Pacers jersey. Seth and Gnome are sitting in the same area as well...so come join us for a quick impromptu PD Forum get together during shoot around.

1st round of beers on me for all the visitors!

Be sure to bring your PD Forum issued ID.....I'll be checking
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-01-2012 at 07:06 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Big ups to Pacers Nation (I know every fan of every team goes with nation, but we are earning it so **** them). Pacero and sportsgirl did the roadie. Cable came up with family(and he made the trip into Indy for the playoffs). We added lurker Ryan who is Twitter pals with El Pacero.

Orlando's brother Rob found us again and took a ton of group pix after the game. It just felt really special to have Pacers family on the road in all its forms, win or lose. Winning is great but the PN must be bigger than that.

Oracle was awesome I thought. Looks nice to me. Good layout and lighting, great atmosphere and great, smart fans. We talked with several all night about the game and the two teams in general. A couple of guys by the bench got rowdy in response to us but it turned into friendly jabs by the end.

Thanks to Mrs gnome and san fran Ryan for getting me in and out of who knows where san fran at 1 am while I was enjoying the warm embrace of rum (serious Hemmingway levels of rum).

I'll get pix posted tonight when I'm back in Indy, barring anymore delays (see wells twitter).

And on that note, oracle let me get my bilf approved lens in, but then an usher scolded me to remove it. So pix quality will be limited. The definition of professional is an insult to all pro photogs.

One thing about Oracle, it seemed a lot more like an event arena. They even had spotlights going. Of course it was a nice, rainy overcast night.

The intros were standard fare, flags like a lot of teams use, pre-game video, lights out. They did have the mirror ball going which was a nice effect. Doesn't really show up well in any photos I took.

Note the logo on the bottom of the center scoreboard. Nice touch.

Player intros also feature their Twitter account info. Pretty clever addition.

The team gets hyped before the game.

Paul looks back as he gets last second instructions.

At this point I had to change lenses and didn't have the setup right, so everything is too dark even after some touch up work.

Tyler guards the post

Ian does some post work of his own

BAMF just loading up on points as usual

George Hill draws the foul

The mini-San Fran meet
    IndySportsGirl, Ryan Rucker (Twitter, PD lurker from SF), El Pacero, CableKC (from SF), Nap, Gnome, Mrs. Gnome
    Gnome is singing? Drunk? Not holding his liquor as well as me?

We traded out Pacero and Ryan for Orlando Johnson's brother Rob, whom I already mentioned met us randomly as the Sacto In and Out. I think he came up to us first in SF, that's how friendly he was. You couldn't imagine a nicer guy which bodes well for Orlando's future here and in life in general.

This is the sideline club, basically where the sideline concourse food area is at BILF, but not open to everyone. This was not the sweeter Best Locker Room type setup that Gnome, his wife and I went to before the game (though Best LR is cooler, but more crowded, due to view of tunnel, etc).

Note that we met 2 guys who used to live in Indy, one in Carmel. I think he was an IU grad but they'd both been in SF for about 10 years I think. Like us they'd been enjoying the adult kool-aid and were pretty happy to hang out with us post-game.

Pacero and Ryan with "Carmel guy" in foreground.

After this all the mini-meet, sans CableKC, did a 2 car caravan run the 15-20 miles over to SF for that pizza. No photos from me, I left the camera in the car. But if I had taken it you'd see bars, strip clubs, and pizza places. Also you'd see a guy that assured us (including Mrs. Gnome) that if we followed him to his club we could have some p**** on our face (exact words). He was a charmer that one.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

I have some San Fran photos yet, plus some shots of general Kings arena details. Should have those sorted for tomorrow.

Did you know David West had a big-man post-up training academy in San Fran? I'll prove it with a photo tomorrow.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And on that note, oracle let me get my bilf approved lens in, but then an usher scolded me to remove it. So pix quality will be limited. The definition of professional is an insult to all pro photogs.
    Believe me....this p*sses me off to no end. I think that if we sat further back....the ushers would not have noticed it. Sitting 2 rows back from the bench means that you have more ushers paying attention to what you are doing.
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-04-2012 at 02:53 AM.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Player intros also feature their Twitter account info. Pretty clever addition.

The Owners finally sprung for a much improved Scoreboard. Prior to this year...it was one of the standard "run of the mill" scoreboards. This one is WAY better and more modern.

Sports Logo

It was a real nice and pleasant surprise that so many of you from PD were able to fly out to the West Coast and watch the game. It was great to be among "friendly faces" in "enemy" territory.

I really hope that all of your "significant others" let you do this again the next time that the Pacers have a West Coast road trip like this.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

After this all the mini-meet, sans CableKC, did a 2 car caravan run the 15-20 miles over to SF for that pizza. No photos from me, I left the camera in the car. But if I had taken it you'd see bars, strip clubs, and pizza places. Also you'd see a guy that assured us (including Mrs. Gnome) that if we followed him to his club we could have some p**** on our face (exact words). He was a charmer that one.
    I hope you guys took him up on the offer.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Compared to the midwest, the gentlemen establishments in the bay area are LAME!

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here is one of the photos that we were assembling for at the end of the broadcast.
    Left to right: @indysportsgirl @elpacero naptown_seth, CableKC, me, my better half!

Our photo including Rob Johnson (Orlando's Brother). My wife wanted me to definitely make mention of his kindness and approachability.

Another with Rob and @ryanrucker (between sportsgirl & pacero). Looks like we are about to break out into "A Chorus Line"

Following Ryan around San Francisco to get some Pizza after the game. It couldn't just be any Pizza, so we came back across the Bay Bridge (in background).

Eventhough we were thinking about New York Style Pizza we ended up at "Golden Boy's Pizza". After we parked, I think we walked by nearly a dozen Pizzerias in the North Beach Italian district to get here. I think the line out the door at 12:30am told us that this Pizza was worth the walk ...and it was!

...and we got our fill of "In-N-Out" Burger on the trip eating it in Las Vegas & Sacramento!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

You guys are awesome fans. Seriously, that's a long way to come and see a game, let alone two/three. That's dedication.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Despite the loss...this game ranks up there with last year's win. There's nothing like attending a game with friends that share the same interests.

Sorry if it was awkward, I just figured ya'll were looking for a good time

I hope this doesn't get me in trouble, but @indysportsgirl has an amazing smile. Random tidbit, but it jumped right out at me when I saw the pictures.

I will echo IMAWHAT et el, awesome of you guys to do this trip.

Did you guys stay at the same hotel as the players? I know the NFL does not announce hotels, but if you ask around (at least here in VA) you can find out where the Redskins/Wizards are staying for certain trips.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    I hope this doesn't get me in trouble, but @indysportsgirl has an amazing smile. Random tidbit, but it jumped right out at me when I saw the pictures.

I will echo IMAWHAT et el, awesome of you guys to do this trip.

Did you guys stay at the same hotel as the players? I know the NFL does not announce hotels, but if you ask around (at least here in VA) you can find out where the Redskins/Wizards are staying for certain trips.
    I think Sports Girl would appreciate the compliment considering a healthy smile is within her profession. As for staying where the players stay... Probably not, unless they were hitting up the Homewood Suites or LaQuinta! We just hit the local Inn near either the arena or airport. On Friday the players didn't stay in Sacramento. They took a bus to Oakland right after the game.
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 12-05-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: grammer
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

This has been great. And hearing you on the radio broadcast during the Kings game will go down as a memory of the season. RIC FLAIR!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!

Wow, that In-N-Out burger looks good.

Oh, and the game pics look nice too.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Definitely want to try in-and-out burger one day.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    Be aware it isn't so much a "name" as a "description"
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Be aware it isn't so much a "name" as a "description"
    You better run away fast. In & Out is the best fast food by a wide margin, imo. Good burgers, freshly cut fries, great service; I know where I'm having lunch now!

I liked In n' Out, but I'll say it...it's overrated. It's good, don't get me wrong, but it's not the life changing experience people make it out to be.

Sports Logo

I liked In n' Out, but I'll say it...it's overrated. It's good, don't get me wrong, but it's not the life changing experience people make it out to be.
    Back in here in California...."In N Out" Burger has a cult-like following like there are people that love Krispy Kreme donuts.

I love their burgers ( cuz it's cheap and a high quality burger ) but after being introduced to "Five Guys" recently, I'd pick "Five Guys" Burgers over "In N Out".

billbradley

I love 'In and Out' and 'Five Guys' but 'Punch' downtown Indy might be my current favorite burger.

http://punchburger.com/

30. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    On a related note....just like you guys in the East don't have In-N-Out Burger.....the West Coast doesn't have "White Castle". On my trip to Indy for the 2nd round of the playoffs.....once I got off the plane....we were hungry and the first place we drove by and ate lunch at in Indy was at a "White Castle".

Like many things I was able to go see and do in Indy.....I have checked off eating at "White Castle" off my "Bucket List".

Just do what I did....add "Eating a Burger at In-N-Out" to your Bucket List.

Wait....you can get White Castle during the day?

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post: