Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: When Gnome Roams Naptown Will Follow (2012)

Sports Logo

Default Re: When Gnome Roams Naptown Will Follow (2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay, so apparently the Kings play in an apartment complex...

Seriously, this is not an office complex. Apparently sporting events are conducted here. And tax preparation.

Seriously, the first and only time that I went to Arco Arena....that is the SAME EXACT thought that I had when I saw Arco Arena. It's like they play in an office park. The Maloofs must rent out the Arco Arena during the daytime for office space to companies.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Okay....quick roll call again for the Warriors Game in Oakland.

Whose going to be at the game?

I'm going to be in Section 102 in Row 2....I am pretty sure that Seth and Gnome will be in the same section.

Come down to join us!

Also...anyone up for a Post-Game get together in the concourse area?
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-01-2012 at 02:39 AM.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Lots of face & air time tonight for our gang.

Actually from the shots around the arena there were a LOT and I mean a LOT of Pacers fans there.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, I had no idea we were going to have so many folks at the Lakers game.

I *REALLY* wish I had been there now... Alas, I got home to LA the morning AFTER the game from vacation

But we got the win, and you guys had a great time! Sweet!!!
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Okay....quick roll call again.

Whose going to be at the game?

I'm going to be in Section 102 in Row 2....I am pretty sure that Seth and Gnome will be in the same section.

Come down to join us!

Also...anyone up for a Post-Game get together in the concourse area?
    i was in section 121, but i didnt stick around, have been battling a terrible headache all day long.

glad we got the win, was closer than i hoped, but watching David West do work tonight was awesome. He's a man and plays a mans game.

El Pacero outkicked his coverage

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    El Pacero outkicked his coverage
    Was El Pacero dressed up in his mask?

How can he not end up on TV?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Denari put Pacero on, and Gnome and I as well.

AWESOME NIGHT! You guys have no idea.

We come down to our seats, which are front row center behind the scorers table. We are sitting directly behind Boyle, AC and their sound guy. Just next to us is some random Pacers fan. Nice enough but quiet.

And then....in comes 4 drunk, rowdy dudes from Fresno that are big time Pacers fans. One was a fan prior to PG, the other went to Fresno and is a PG/Pacers fans and their two buddies love the NBA were full on board for cheering for the Pacers. They IMMEDIATELY start taunting the Kings during the pre-game shooting lines. Loudly. Annoyingly even.

I say to Gnome "these guys will be kicked out by halftime".

Gnome and I are drinking so as the first quarter wears on we are getting more into the groove of the Fresno 4.

At halftime I go up to hit the head and as I am coming out who do I run into? El Pacero. I thought he was only doing the GSW game but here he is. We start talking, we are loving the game so far and I start telling him about the Fresno 4. No sooner do I do that then a couple of them walk into the restroom and we all start talking. Meanwhile random pro-Indy people pass through too and it's a full-on love fest. I mean more Pacers love than you get at home games.

So one of the Fresno 4 takes Gnome and I to the liquor stand and buys shots for me, Gnome, himself and his buddy. Had we kept Pacero with us he would have bought him a shot too. By now we are really in full-on Pacers love mode and even I'm getting rowdy.

We get back just at the start of the 2nd half and everyone is getting really loud, even me. Boyle comments about how loud we are getting and people tweet that you can here the guys behind us and it sounds like Ric Flair....because they are intentionally doing the Ric Flair "wooo" and then yelling Ric Flair.

They also yell at every single Pacer including Vogel and Shaw. "Shaw, assistant coach of the year" and "Vogel, you're the man, give it to West". Everytime Danny comes over these guys are yelling to him and he's talking to them and all of us. At one point he gives both Gnome and I a fist bump. Danny takes a picture with one of them after the game. It's just epic, full interaction.

When they buy us beers during the 3rd we are all best friends and you have 8 rowdy Pacers fans in the first 2 rows of center court that are louder than half the stadium. It's crazy, it's better than a home game. When David has 15 at the half I say "he's going for 30" and we all agree this is a probable outcome and a good thing to cheer for. So every touch he gets we are getting more and more into it. By the time they are feeding him near the 30 point level we are standing and yelling. For the final minute of the game an usher comes down and tells us to sit down so Kings fans can see their offensive end. It's that kind of scene, the kind of situation I would hate if it were happening in the Fieldhouse, but I'm drunk and screw them.

(Having said that, the Kings staff and fans were extremely pleasant, wonderfully positive and interactive with us, even the fan next to me that was having to put up with most of it)

It seems like most of you couldn't see how rowdy we were getting during the broadcast, but I assure you it was borderline offensive to the hometown fans due to our loud exuberance. The Fresno 4 were great catalysts and actually smart, serious fans despite being lit up. We never felt like the game was out of hand, we never got very upset. It was really just positive and "expressive".

I apologize to Boyle and AC, and Gnome tweeted that to MB himself in fact. But on the other hand, what a great way to experience a road win, with a real mini-A55 there to push them and with the players acknowledging it. Glad to know that they know we are there.

The Fresno 4 invited us out for drinks but Gnome and I decided we were too drunk already to handle that. But a couple of them are trying to work a plan to come visit Indy and we told them we'd set them up. Contact info exchanged and Pacers Nation gets tighter than ever.

Another crazy thing is that we stopped at In and Out before the game and who do we run into? Freaking Rob Johnson, Orlando's brother, the one that took care of him after he lost his mother and grandmother. Super nice guy, just great. Before we left I made sure to tell him how impressive it was that he took OJ under his wing and that we all admired his effort (and his other brother's). OJ was dressed but obviously didn't get to play, but maybe tomorrow night. Rob said he's going to Oakland so maybe it will work out.

Oh, another PS - Danny came out onto the concourse where Gnome, me, Pacers, SportsGirl, etc were talking. He again exchanged some friendly comments with us. Easy for him to just brush us off but he responded to all our comments and was really interactive. Just outstanding. There were lots of "we need you back", but I was quick to throw in the "but don't rush it, seriously". At one point he was kinda serious about it and said he really wouldn't rush it.

Great night for a Pacers fan, one of my top 5 Pacers game experiences ever, and I've been to a lot of them.

9. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mark, AC and radio team are 40 minutes away from hating us.

Please, someone get something going. And can someone get Roy off the skids?

Paul's about to win this thing (well, Hill and West are, but PG is in-bounding for the win at least)

Sam about to share his thoughts on the nice night he had

Danny gives some love to Franscisco of the Fresno 4

The winning formula, Gnome, Pacero, Nap and the BAMF jersey. It's taken years to figure out the perfect good luck combo, but we might have found it finally.
    No pressure on CableKC, but if they lose tomorrow it's totally your fault.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Haha!

That sounds like just a great time, Seth!

It may be too late for this year, but NEXT year I am definitely going to plan to meet with some of you guys when you come out west for the Cali Road Trip!

I HAVE to get in on some of these good times
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

Sports Logo

No pressure on CableKC, but if they lose tomorrow it's totally your fault.

Woah.........I don't need that kind of pressure.......I may need to go "Nancy Kerrigan" on Curry and David Lee so that I can ensure that DJ and Hibbert don't get abused on the defensive end tomorrow.
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-01-2012 at 04:25 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Looks like you all are having an awesome time. Thanks for sharing all of the photos and stories with us. It was cool seeing you all on TV at the end of the game.

I gotta say I was pretty pumped about the shout out to PD!

And it was cool to see what Naptown and Gnome look like as I have never met any of you guys... Naptown was my favorite poster from back in the day on the Indystar boards so I was especially curious what you looked like... I've got to admit that you don't appear to be as nerdy as what I had you pictured looking like in my head :P
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

Hey Hollywood, great to see you guys on TV and enjoying the Pacer games! It looks like you had a lot of fun. When we need a big win we know where to send you guys! Your our good luck charm!

Lisa, Gnome owes you big-time for babysitting him in CA! Thanks for sharing your pics! Maybe Mr. RWB can quit being a tight @ss and take me on a road swing. Got Rascal Flatts tickets - third row from him so there is still hope! LOL.

Lisa - Mrs. RWB.

Banner City... From the gift shop all the way to stuff in the arena bowl you'd be hard pressed to find anything that says 2 other major league teams play in this building. The gift shop was beyond pathetic when it came to finding LA Kings or LA Clippers gear. The actual gift shop employee told me there was more across the street at the ESPN Zone.

This photo of Lisa (my wife) and myself was taken by Area55 member @indysportsgirl. It was really nice to meet here along with Justin Beck and his Aussie crew.
    Last edited by Mrs RWB; 12-01-2012 at 09:59 AM.

When we need a big win we know where to send you guys! Your our good luck charm!
    Well hold up on that just yet. I don't think either of us is back to .500. We are just getting back to respectable.

I've got to admit that you don't appear to be as nerdy as what I had you pictured looking like in my head :P
    No, I am. You get Count55 (Tim D from 8.9) and I into a discussion and it degenerates into a fun-killing stat-time nerd-out ala Big Bang Theory.

This problem is best countered with liquor, as proven last night.

And we might be headed for a potential hangover situation today. Trying to ease back into the rotation slowly.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

All aboard the Sleep Train!!!

Seth with 2 of the Fresno Four!

Pacers Radio broadcast sound guy. I apologized to him several times, but at the end he was rather cool about it.

The Indy crew meeting up after the game... @indysportsgirl, me, my wife, @elPacero & @naptownSeth

Seth and Pacero...

Of course...
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Awesome stuff guys. The Kings facility is probably the weirdest sports venue I've ever seen. It looks more like a small community college building than a basketball arena.
    Grown Man Ball

Haha looks like you had fun. Would love to do something like this, hopefully when the bossman gives me that sacred extra week of paid vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    Awesome stuff guys. The Kings facility is probably the weirdest sports venue I've ever seen. It looks more like a small community college building than a basketball arena.
    I have to say that inside is small, but in a basketball-specific arena kind of way. Baseline seats are tight to the court, the slope away is modestly vertical so the seats stay closer to the floor. There are only 2 levels with suites in between so "upper level" isn't that high up really.

The lower bowl has WOOD flooring for the most part, as in polished wood. It's extremely worn down, but in a Wrigley Field kinda way that feels old but quaint. They have this brass rail theme going for the suites and the upper level "boxes" (first 2 rows in upper level) this is kinda odd but with some charm.

I have some concourse pictures that I'll post later, but bottom line is that it's moderately well Kings branded with lots of purple and black. I also liked the restroom layout which featured a glass block wall at the entrance and good spacing.

So it is small and old and it definitely lacks the exterior presence of an "event" arena, but it's kinda lovable. I'd much rather see another game in Sleepytime than in Target. And I can imagine that when it was first built it was a pretty sweet deal.

VERY FRIENDLY STAFF all around. Lots of friendly, welcoming fans. Lots of people came up and asked if we were from Indy and were genuinely happy that we'd made the trip. Food prices were also reasonable. And it would seem like getting to, in and out of the arena would flow well even on a busy night.

It does lose points for being in a weird suburb apartment complex area instead of connected to same part of the city.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 12-01-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Sports Logo

This problem is best countered with liquor, as proven last night.

And we might be headed for a potential hangover situation today. Trying to ease back into the rotation slowly.
    Good....so does that mean that you won't be in the mood for a round of beers in the Oakland Arena?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    Again, this is the same exact feeling that I had when I attended the Pacers/Kings game a few years back. But due to the size....it also explains why it gets do damn loud in the arena.

Looking at where the Kings play, you can see why the Maloofs want a new Arena.

Two things.

1. Did you guys get to meet with anyone from the Sacramento message board? We've always had a cool respectable relationship with them.

2. I think I have found out the secret to the new success. Gnome is wearing a Pacers ball cap instead of the fedora.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

...and the Fresno 4 just happen to be in the room next door here in Sacramento. They looked pretty hung over!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Mood

Haha, Seth looked pretty, uh, calm? on the broadcast. I told my wife, "My man has to have done something harder than beer." It was great to see PD represented, Denari sure seems to be a big fan.

I've watched the Pacers in that arena. Won that one, too. Had a great time.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!