Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why The Pacers Missed on Mayo and How They Can Fix It.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Why The Pacers Missed on Mayo and How They Can Fix It.

One thing about 2 picks - Lance and Danny.

Both were taken with LOW COST picks relative to their risk/reward. Granger was seen by most as a top 10 talent that dropped due to knee injury fears. By #17 it was becoming silly that he was still on the board. This was NOT an evaluation of talent but an evaluation of risk (knee) vs reward (known talent level). The percentage of risk for a #17 pick was very low in comparison to the reward level.

Ditto Lance. By the 2nd round his draft spot was low enough to make the risk level (cost of pick * PCT for failure) much lower than the chances of positive upside. No one doubted Lance's talent level, the guy was nicknamed Born Ready. They doubted his mentality and how that might keep him from using his talent level.

Now I champion the idea of not overpaying, but that doesn't mean that when you get a great price it means you were a great talent evaluator.

A new Porsche that has a 20% chance of not working for the price of $5K? That's an obvious choice, not a sign of my car evaluation skills.

To me AJ Price, Hibbert and Paul George are the best "evaluation" picks they've made. They were taken at roughly the market value and selected from similarly valued players, most of whom have not been nearly as good as they have.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by WhoLovesYaBaby? View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers had three runs at Mayo and came up blank all three times. The biggest miss was the failed trade of Josh Brick McRoberts for Mayo. The Pacers tried another trade after that then the FA attempt this last summer.

Time to move on. A West for Brooks proposal doesn't sound like a bad idea. The Pacers most likely will not be able to afford West for another two years, so why not get something for him? Of course trading West means that Ian, Hans, or Pendergraph has to start. That doesn't sound good.

I enjoyed the "brick" reference. I have always called him McBrick and I thought he was the most overrated Pacer of all time....

At this point I'd take Josh over Tyler. I got to admit I was wrong there. We could use Josh's facilitating more than ever now.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I enjoyed the "brick" reference. I have always called him McBrick and I thought he was the most overrated Pacer of all time....
    I've seen numerous times that you thought he was the most overrated Pacer of all time. I don't really know how that figures, since what I remember of that time was a bunch of people happy that he was starting and also okay with the fact he was only playing 20ish minutes a night.

I looked up the season he played significant minutes for us, and the "brick" reference doesn't really apply. The guy shot over 54% from the field, 38% from 3, and 74% from the FT line. In fact, the only negative thing about him that season was he had 1.3 TO per game, which was a little bit high for 22 minutes a night. Bring up his lack of defensive awareness if you like, but we weren't getting anything better out of Hansbrough on that end that year.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    I'd like them to start with things in their control. For example:

1) Lower our turnovers... hi Paul and Roy, we have some of the worst team TO #'s in the league

2) Improve FG%... hi Roy, you're 7'2" and you're shooting <38% for the year.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/pl...sition/centers

3) Reduce opponent FGA (highest in the league)... this probably relates to our high TO #'s and the fact that we force very very few opponent turnovers (again, worst in the league)... We need more active hands and disruption of passing lanes.

4) Improve FT%... bottom 5 in league
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...sey=nav%7Chead

More time at the line
    Vogel closed practice Wednesday, and each player had to shoot 100 free throws.

The Pacers were 17-of-27 from the foul line against the Lakers. Luckily for Indiana, the Lakers were 23-of-43.

Still, Vogel is worried about his team's problems from the free throw line. The Pacers are 26th in the league at 71.9 percent.

"Making free throws in all road situations is critical to establishing that road toughness and that .500 or better record on the road," Vogel said.

The Pacers likely will have a chance to get to the line often Friday at Sacramento: The Kings are second in the league in fouls at almost 24 a game.
    Coach 'em up Vogel.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Heh. Make 'em run bleacher laps for every FT they missed.

That's why I spent more practice time running bleacher laps than practicing back in 7th grade ...
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh