Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why The Pacers Missed on Mayo and How They Can Fix It.

Default Why The Pacers Missed on Mayo and How They Can Fix It.

Once again, the Pacers missed out on the guy that they need, OJ Mayo. While, Mayo is reaching stardom in Dallas, the Pacers are stuck with Gerald "high hopes, no results" Green. The Pacers chose quanity over quality in the free agent market. They went for Green, Augustine, and Mahinmi when they probably could have used the money for two of those players and signed Mayo. I'm not even sure I would have been so quick to trade Collison either. But, they can salvage the season by targeting another young misplaced player in Tyreke Evans. The Kings have an influx of wings and Evans would bring in the most return. Hansbrough and Green or Stephenson would be a good package. Hopefully, Walsh and Pritchard can make up for their offseason mistakes.

Default Re: Why The Pacers Missed on Mayo and How They Can Fix It.

Quote Originally Posted by eldubious View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Once again, the Pacers missed out on the guy that they need, OJ Mayo. While, Mayo is reaching stardom in Dallas, the Pacers are stuck with Gerald "high hopes, no results" Green. The Pacers chose quanity over quality in the free agent market. They went for Green, Augustine, and Mahinmi when they probably could have used the money for two of those players and signed Mayo. I'm not even sure I would have been so quick to trade Collison either. But, they can salvage the season by targeting another young misplaced player in Tyreke Evans. The Kings have an influx of wings and Evans would bring in the most return. Hansbrough and Green or Stephenson would be a good package. Hopefully, Walsh and Pritchard can make up for their offseason mistakes.

MARSHON BROOKS

He's a player the Pacers should be looking at, and he's on a rookie contract playing behind Joe Johnson which means he's not getting much PT.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

We don't have the cap flexibility to make many deals, and usually junk doesn't get you quality players. How is Hansbrough and Green or Lance a good package for former ROY Tyreke Evans?

I think this team is what it is. The only significant trades we could do will probably have to involve George, Granger, maybe West.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

I thought Mayo took less money than we were offering him to go to Dallas. Is that not correct? IMO, the only trade pieces the Pacers have this year are West(expiring) and George. Who else do we have that would even bring in matching quality, let alone a "star"?

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    MARSHON BROOKS

He's a player the Pacers should be looking at, and he's on a rookie contract playing behind Joe Johnson which means he's not getting much PT.
    I like this idea. West/Green for Humphries/Brooks. I love West, but if he doesn't fit the long term plans there won't be a better time to move him. Plus Green was a huge fan favorite. We get a younger more athletic 4 that can rebound and a sharp shooter without gutting the core.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 2minutes twoa For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I still do not understand the fascination with Mayo, unless you like players who don't try when they are coming off the bench.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I still do not understand the fascination with Mayo, unless you like players who don't try when they are coming off the bench.
    I didn't thank it, but I did think it was funny..

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    I thought Mayo took less money than we were offering him to go to Dallas. Is that not correct? IMO, the only trade pieces the Pacers have this year are West(expiring) and George. Who else do we have that would even bring in matching quality, let alone a "star"?
    No one knows if we offered a deal to Mayo, and if we did how much.

But yes, he took less money from several teams, specifically the Suns, to go to Dallas and start. It's not at all out of the question that we were another of those teams.

I doubt if the team even made an offer to Mayo but I'd rather we tried instead of going for Green. I agree with your thoughts that Walsh went after quantity over quality. Overall I wish we had left the bench alone except for making a run at Kaman. I don't think we can do much right now except wait things out and hope we get lucky before the trade deadline. The one position we've been solid in so far this year has been at the 4. I don't want to see Tyler or West traded for a wing.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by eldubious View Post
    But, they can salvage the season by targeting another young misplaced player in Tyreke Evans.
    Wow, I believe that I can work with that that. That is a fantastic idea. I wish that there were a way to make it happen.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Look!!!

Over There!!!

Don't You Guys See It!!!!

GREEN GRASS!!! SO VERY VERY DEEP GREEN AND LUSH GRASS!!

sigh, if only we had that grass instead of the crappy old dead brown crabgrass....i mean sure it's actually a Kentucky bluegrass variety and its only brown in a few spots, but still....LOOK OVER THERE!

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    No one knows if we offered a deal to Mayo, and if we did how much.

But yes, he took less money from several teams, specifically the Suns, to go to Dallas and start. It's not at all out of the question that we were another of those teams.
    This is the key point that many have missed. Given that we have all of our Starting positions filled.....why would a Player like Mayo go to a team where he would be coming off the bench ( even as the 6th man ) when he could go to a team like the Mavs and start? That is what most have to realize....at best the Pacers could offer a 6th man role to someone who wanted to be a Starter.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Banned

Pacers don't need Mayo, they already have a great player in Green and Young is the cherry in top of the ice cream.

Shame on you people for looking at other players in other teams and for not been happy to have a losing record with those guys shame on you!!!!!

Hopefully next year the Pacers instead of looking for the greener grass on another team they look for the turd that the neighbors dog left in top of the green grass again and hopefully they give that turd a long term contract again.....

If Mayo is Kentucky bluegrass, then McRoberts is brown grass in mid-August that hasn't been watered all summer. If only that trade didn't collapse at the last second.....
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 11-25-2012 at 01:31 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I'd like them to start with things in their control. For example:

1) Lower our turnovers... hi Paul and Roy, we have some of the worst team TO #'s in the league

2) Improve FG%... hi Roy, you're 7'2" and you're shooting <38% for the year.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/pl...sition/centers

3) Reduce opponent FGA (highest in the league)... this probably relates to our high TO #'s and the fact that we force very very few opponent turnovers (again, worst in the league)... We need more active hands and disruption of passing lanes.

4) Improve FT%... bottom 5 in league

Still a few positives, given the record... including the impressive defensive #'s, and the emergence of Lance and Hans...

I bet this starts to turn around, as players start to rebuild their confidence.
    Last edited by docpaul; 11-25-2012 at 02:09 AM.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Pacers don't need Mayo, they already have a great player in Green and Young is the cherry in top of the ice cream.

Shame on you people for looking at other players in other teams and for not been happy to have a losing record with those guys shame on you!!!!!

Hopefully next year the Pacers instead of looking for the greener grass on another team they look for the turd that the neighbors dog left in top of the green grass again and hopefully they give that turd a long term contract again.....
    Ok that was damn funny.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Another Mayo thread? You guys really aren't swayed by facts, or reality. We couldn't get Mayo.

You might as well start a thread titled: Why the Pacers missed on LeBron and how they can fix it (by targeting Kevin Durant)

26. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post

Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I would have started Mayo over PG.

And, now with Granger's situation, Mayo would be starting there anyway with PG at SF.

All this is speculative in terms of what negotiation were with him as a FA, just saying I would have been willing to lure him with a starting spot. This would have made PG have to actually earn starting position over the course of the year. Maybe being the key man on the second unit would have been perfect for him. And that's not to say he wouldn't have been on the floor in crunch time if matchups demanded his defense.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Banned

I don't think the issue was Mayo wanting to start but Mayo wanting close to 10mil a year, Dallas was ideal for him because he is not only starting but the short term contract he got gives him an opportunity to try to get more money next year, if he keeps averaging 20ppg I wouldn't be surprised if a team gives him what he is going to be asking.

I expect the Pacers to have some interest in him next year (as always) but at the end of the day they are going to end up bringing some turd from the end of other teams bench.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 11-25-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Mood

Remember when free agency opened OJ Mayo and Courtney Lee were the 2 scorers off the bench the Pacers were linked to but both wanted starter money Lee around 8 mil and Mayo 10 and both according to sources seemed to have multi-team interest.

Once the Blazers reached an agreement with Hibbert and Hill agreed to his contract the Pacers did not have the money Mayo wanted to offer him. Mayo got the Suns offer which was in the 8 mil range. With the fear of not getting the scorer they wanted off the bench they reached out and signed Gerald Green for 3.5 mil per instead.

After the Mahinmi trade and the Augustin signing pushed the Pacers against the luxury tax is when the Mayo decision to sign for less in Dallas occured, the Pacers could not act at that point. In hindsight if the Pacers had known the market would dry up for Mayo and Lee they may have waited on signing Gerald Green. They acted to assure themselves of getting one of the 3 they had targeted in Green rather than getting no one.

The fact that we missed out on bargain amnesty players in Scola and Brand as well as not being able to take advantage of the low ball market for Mayo and Kaman is the fault of our front office. It was simply poor time management in how the signed Hibbert and Hill and that is the job or Walsh and Pritchard. I will not believe that a conversation with Hibbert and Hill to explain to them that they'd get their money no matter what but could return to a more talented team if they waited a few more weeks wouldn't have worked.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Or they could have just not signed Hibbert, gotten the better player in Asik, or a decent replacement in Kaman, and they could have waited for someone to give Hill an offer sheet, no rush on that, we had RFA rights.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dece For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    Or they could have just not signed Hibbert, gotten the better player in Asik, or a decent replacement in Kaman, and they could have waited for someone to give Hill an offer sheet, no rush on that, we had RFA rights.
    Up until last season, Omer Asik didn't show to be anything more but a big body who could bang inside and play some defense. He didn't play terribly well in the playoff series against the 76ers when Joakim Noah was out.

Meanwhile Roy was coming off an all star season, and the Miami playoff series where he demonstrated an ability to be an elite interior defender and a good rebounder.

As far as Hill is concerned, we traded away the season's previous first rounder, and again, Hill demonstrated an ability to be a good finisher in games throughout the season and the series against ORL. We had played at our best when he was our starter last year, and the FO wanted to move forward with him as our starting PG.

Yes, I agree that we could've allowed him to sign an offer sheet elsewhere, but lets say we would have given Mayo 8-10+ Mil in order to come here. What makes anyone so sure that he would be playing as well here as he is in DAL? Completely different system, and situations. He's thriving right now because he is basically their first option offensively right now. Here he would have to run a similar offense to what he ran in MEM when they were very post heavy, and he was having to spot up for many attempts.

Hindsight is 20/20. IF we knew Danny was going to be out, maybe we pay Mayo, maybe we decide NOT to trade DC, maybe we are a tad more aggressive in the trade market...who knows

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

I don't get paid millions to have my dedicated job be GM. I don't talent evaluate professionally. They do. They need to not make these mistakes, and they have to be held accountable when they do. I don't feel its hindsight because even as an amateur I thought those were bad moves, and they are proving to be so. As a professional? Do you have any idea how fast I would be fired to make mistakes on that level? It's their job to see Hibbert has a fragile ego and often vanishes. It's their job to see emerging talent. It's their job to be able to construct a timeline that benefits the Pacers, not players getting paid. They failed their job.
    Last edited by Dece; 11-25-2012 at 03:30 PM.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dece For This Useful Post: