Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This needs to become Stephenson's team

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Re: This needs to become Stephenson's team

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't get this. I mean, he's been a pleasant surprise, but I'm not ready to start a movement over the guy.
    you see that crossover tonight son?!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    you see that crossover tonight son?!
    Yeah, I did, it was a sick highlight, but I just don't see a huge problem with the way we are using him now.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Yeah, I did, it was a sick highlight, but I just don't see a huge problem with the way we are using him now.
    I agree, shoulda made it green. Bring the moods back so I can make mine Sarcastic.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I don't get this. I mean, he's been a pleasant surprise, but I'm not ready to start a movement over the guy.
    I agree. Don't get me wrong, I like Lance, I think he has a lot of skills and potential. I just don't think he's to the point where we just give him the ball and let him go to work. However, I would like to see him more involved on the offensive end. I mean, he's been playing a lot of minutes lately, he's been good and that play tonight was something else. His numbers so far just aren't that great to me, at least not to the point where I want him to be a primary option on offense.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I legitimately would like to see a game where we just give it to Lance and tell him to go to work though. Sacto or GS games coming up maybe. Just to see how his approach to the game would differ.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Mood

Pre-ma-ture.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I would like to see an increase in his usage, but full reigns is to much.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    I agree. Don't get me wrong, I like Lance, I think he has a lot of skills and potential. I just don't think he's to the point where we just give him the ball and let him go to work. However, I would like to see him more involved on the offensive end. I mean, he's been playing a lot of minutes lately, he's been good and that play tonight was something else. His numbers so far just aren't that great to me, at least not to the point where I want him to be a primary option on offense.
    His usage rates a measly 15%... he's doing all he can. I don't have a problem with the way he's being used I just think he could help us more, but we have to let him first. He's still treated differently than the rest of players by Frank too, which I don't understand. I guess he's still trying house break him .

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Agreed with Eleazar. Making this "Stephenson's team" is way too extreme of a move at this point, but he's certainly played well enough to deserve a bigger role on offense. Let's take it one step at a time.

Mood

Last year I was all for giving lance more mins. I was in love with his court vision and passing and handles. What I didn't think he would ever be was a solid shooter. I'm very happy he's coming along nicely. Larry is looking really smart right now.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:

billbradley

It's time to tell Lance he's allowed to shoot late.

I say he should play the same amount of minutes in the second half as he did in the first. Don't cut him short in the second!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacemaker For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    I get what you're saying, and I by no means intend to mock you. What this team needs is a go to player, especially in crunch time. What so many fans did not realize was Granger's identity as 'the man'. It was Danny who received the ball at crunch time and Danny who gave this time swagger. Without Danny there is no wag in our swag, just a lot of sag.
    Reverend Al Sharpton everybody

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2minutes twoa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I legitimately would like to see a game where we just give it to Lance and tell him to go to work though. Sacto or GS games coming up maybe. Just to see how his approach to the game would differ.
    Agreed. With Granger out, there will be no better time to test things. Also, I don't think many are saying to hand the keys over permanently. If it's not going to work this year, we should be able to tell in a handful of games. If it does work well, it could immediately change this stagnant offense into something that can score late in games when the San Antonio's of the NBA decide to start manning up like last night.

A more conservative approach will be taken when Granger returns...primarily because we will be "good enough". Lance will come off the bench and might find some time with the starters. But he's not going to have the controls in his hands.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    Pre-ma-ture.
    How else are we going to score in the fourth quarter of close games? The predictable post up plays to Roy and David aren't working. Paul George has proven he is inept to handle the ball in tight games. Lance can create his own shot, and will find the open man for high percentage shots. Free Lance!
    David "And One" West

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    It's clear that Lance is without question our best player at creating their own shot. This is a player that ignites his teammates. Tonight, Lance sparked a run that pushed our lead to 17pts. He was then quickly and stupidly subbed out of the game, and we lost all of our momentum. It seems like whenever he is playing with the starters, he rarely gets the ball. There was one play in the fourth quarter where George Hill ignored Lance completely while he was wide open. When the game is on the line, we like to go to Hill and George from the perimeter. I'm not so sure I'm at all comfortable with Paul George getting touches on all these critical possessions because he turns it over way too much. Lance has proven himself in a limited role, that he deserves to be a much bigger part of the offense
    I support this for a different reason. We need a superstar. We can't buy one and we don't get a high enough pick to draft one. We have two players on this team who MIGHT develop into that kind of player and that is PG and Lance. Granger is not going to get better and neither is Hill or West. Perhaps Hibbert can grow a little bit but he is about to the point of "what you see is what you get." I would turn Lance and PG loose to prove that then are not a potential superstar or that they are. That is the only hope the Pacers ever have of being a contender.....

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    How else are we going to score in the fourth quarter of close games? The predictable post up plays to Roy and David aren't working. Paul George has proven he is inept to handle the ball in tight games. Lance can create his own shot, and will find the open man for high percentage shots. Free Lance!
    Agree with all of this and would like to add that Stephenson's energy clearly has an effect on the rest of the players. If he's not hitting a shot I would want him out there just for enthusiasm and spark for the other guys.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eric1516 For This Useful Post:

I can now understand why Larry Bird thought Lance was the most talented player on this team, and I happen to agree with him. I am also now starting to view Lance's intangibles as a potential strength rather than a weakness. You want a guy on your team with a little craziness and hyper competitive drive, as long as it is controlled. I am rooting for him and hope that he can continue to stay on track.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DonSwanson For This Useful Post:

RLeWorm

Lance should start at pg! He is the type of player that makes everyone around him better. He can create off the dribble, can actually pass the ball, and he got the vision. He just needs the green light. Once Lance gets the ball he is pushing down the court. His shooting has improved also.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RLeWorm For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I support this for a different reason. We need a superstar. We can't buy one and we don't get a high enough pick to draft one. We have two players on this team who MIGHT develop into that kind of player and that is PG and Lance. Granger is not going to get better and neither is Hill or West. Perhaps Hibbert can grow a little bit but he is about to the point of "what you see is what you get." I would turn Lance and PG loose to prove that then are not a potential superstar or that they are. That is the only hope the Pacers ever have of being a contender.....
    I actually agree with this...see my PG thread...

37. The Following User Says Thank You to timid For This Useful Post:

Welcome CJ Miles! BlueCollarColts's Avatar

there are two reasons why Lance will become our best player IMO, he is the only one who can create his own shot, and he has the killer instinct, he is the only one on the team who has it, he wants the ball, he wants to take the game winning shot, he wants to crush his opponent. I can see Lance being a 19 ppg and 9 apg guy if we start him at point in a few years. He is a better PG than Hill to be honest. I see Paul George as a Joe Johnson type player. His cieling will be as a second option (hopefully to Lance) and can average 16-17 ppg
    Last edited by BlueCollarColts; 11-24-2012 at 05:04 PM.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RLeWorm View Post
    Lance should start at pg! He is the type of player that makes everyone around him better. He can create off the dribble, can actually pass the ball, and he got the vision. He just needs the green light. Once Lance gets the ball he is pushing down the court. His shooting has improved also.
    Lance is leading the team with 47%.... and 13th in the league.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

41. The Following User Says Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

Lance appears to be for real. He is best on the team in FG% and 3PT%. He's 3rd on the team in assists and steals...even though he only plays 24 minutes. Who would have thought that possible just a year ago? We've talked about a few subjective things like him being the best penetrator and passer, which are probably true, but these stats cannot be denied. Lance is hitting shots, passing and driving while defending pretty well and even stealing the ball on occasion. He's been the best thing about this season

I also have to admit the cross-over, drive to the bucket and double clutch layup was one of the exciting plays I've seen during the Granger era. Yes, part of this game is about entertainment and with that Lance definitely delivers.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Last night when we got down late in the 1st quarter the camera panned over to the bench where Lance was frustrated about something (I assume they way we we're playing), and while he was talking to Roy and Paul they were just staring off in space looking like lost puppies. Lance seems like he hates to lose while some of our softer players seem like they care more about how they're playing and what the stat sheets gonna look like after a game.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Based off of tonight's game, I'd say Augustin is our best creator. And he was definitely the spark in both halves.

Lance still has a ways to go but he's well on his way to first guy off the bench scorer type. That's what we should hope/expect from him.

The Sam Young thing is puzzling. Not sure what he does well. I guess he cuts nicely and gets back door but what else does he do at an above average NBA-level?
    Well he covers every open space within 15 feet of him on either end (ie, cuts and movement on offense) which makes him the perfect compliment player. Lance is the "I'm the star" player and fills a different role.

Sam is a MUCH smarter defender and easily as physical. He's even as physical when it comes to going to the rim...to a fault (ie, charges).

Lance has him as an outside shooter and passer, but again that's a different role. I do prefer to see Lance come in when they need a guy to linger weakside for the spot up 3 to keep teams honest on the doubles, but otherwise I think Lance works best when you have very little other offense out there and need a score.

To me Lance is ahead of DJ, not Sam. DJ is the one that can't make his threes or keep guys from sagging, and hadn't punished anyone prior to the Spurs game (going by comments, haven't see enough yet).