Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This needs to become Stephenson's team

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default This needs to become Stephenson's team

It's clear that Lance is without question our best player at creating their own shot. This is a player that ignites his teammates. Tonight, Lance sparked a run that pushed our lead to 17pts. He was then quickly and stupidly subbed out of the game, and we lost all of our momentum. It seems like whenever he is playing with the starters, he rarely gets the ball. There was one play in the fourth quarter where George Hill ignored Lance completely while he was wide open. When the game is on the line, we like to go to Hill and George from the perimeter. I'm not so sure I'm at all comfortable with Paul George getting touches on all these critical possessions because he turns it over way too much. Lance has proven himself in a limited role, that he deserves to be a much bigger part of the offense
    Last edited by Pacergeek; 11-23-2012 at 10:42 PM.
    David "And One" West

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: This needs to become Stephenson's team

Let's give him the max.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let's give him the max.
    I bet there are a number of folks that would prefer Lance got Roy's money and Roy's touches.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

We've got a long way before it becomes Lance's team. He's still working on getting a 2nd or 3rd link for his leash.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Banned

His value would never be this high again lets trade him...

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    His value would never be this high again lets trade him...
    Wrong wing man.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    We've got a long way before it becomes Lance's team. He's still working on getting a 2nd or 3rd link for his leash.
    Free Lance!

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I bet there are a number of folks that would prefer Lance got Roy's money and Roy's touches.
    Not Roy's money, but Hill's money might get some takers.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

In all seriousness, I'm not sure why he keeps sitting for Sam Young. I'm not saying put him ahead of PG24 or David West, but Sam Young?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

I understand when we need good defense, but when it's offense or energy Lance needs to be in there.

It was really unfortunate that the refs bought Ginobili's flop that got Lance t'd up. We pulled Lance right after that and things started going downhill.

Our team is pretty emotional, meaning they play well when they're revved up. Lance is pretty key to that, even when he gets out of control. I'd say that's his biggest impact this year, because we're a pretty flatlined team right now.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I understand when we need good defense, but when it's offense or energy Lance needs to be in there.

It was really unfortunate that the refs bought Ginobili's flop that got Lance t'd up. We pulled Lance right after that and things started going downhill.

Our team is pretty emotional, meaning they play well when they're revved up. Lance is pretty key to that, even when he gets out of control. I'd say that's his biggest impact this year, because we're a pretty flatlined team right now.
    Even if Manu hadn't flopped I don't understand a tech there at all. Only thing I can think of is Lance had been jawing to the guy or something and said the magic word/s.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

While we lost because San Antonio pulled out their scalpel and cut us to pieces, Lance is the best creator on this team and given more time at the PG position, he may be the man.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I get what you're saying, and I by no means intend to mock you. What this team needs is a go to player, especially in crunch time. What so many fans did not realize was Granger's identity as 'the man'. It was Danny who received the ball at crunch time and Danny who gave this time swagger. Without Danny there is no wag in our swag, just a lot of sag.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    I get what you're saying, and I by no means intend to mock you. What this team needs is a go to player, especially in crunch time. What so many fans did not realize was Granger's identity as 'the man'. It was Danny who received the ball at crunch time and Danny who gave this time swagger. Without Danny there is no wag in our swag, just a lot of sag.
    Agreed on Danny, but Danny isn't available and this team lacks the ability to create shots and it does not have anyone with PG skills not named Lance Stephenson. This is coming from a former Lance basher...who cannot deny the truth.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I'm sold on Lance. He can create. We need to utilize him more. Ow, and let's praise Bird one more time.
    Last edited by Nuntius; 11-23-2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: typo

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Based off of tonight's game, I'd say Augustin is our best creator. And he was definitely the spark in both halves.

Lance still has a ways to go but he's well on his way to first guy off the bench scorer type. That's what we should hope/expect from him.

The Sam Young thing is puzzling. Not sure what he does well. I guess he cuts nicely and gets back door but what else does he do at an above average NBA-level?

30. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Based off of tonight's game, I'd say Augustin is our best creator. And he was definitely the spark in both halves.

Lance still has a ways to go but he's well on his way to first guy off the bench scorer type. That's what we should hope/expect from him.

The Sam Young thing is puzzling. Not sure what he does well. I guess he cuts nicely and gets back door but what else does he do at an above average NBA-level?
    Sam Young is a solid defender. So it makes since to play him when defense is needed. When it is offense though he should be behind both Lance and Green.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I guess he cuts nicely and gets back door but what else does he do at an above average NBA-level?
    He is a good defender. He plays straight up most of the time and isn't prone on mental lapses on the defensive end. He is also quite good in getting himself open.

I agree that Lance should have Young's usage but it's not like Young is out there chucking it. He just gets open most of the time and fires open shots.

I think people (including myself) underestimated how much he could improve. I think we bought his nickname, Born Ready. When he wasn't ready out of the gate we said AHHH! Dude does not have it.

But again, we assumed too much with him. Lance has made adjustments. Adjustments along with a commitment that I did not think he had. I always knew he had the flash, but he looks like he is capable of playing under control (in his own way) while being effective...maybe very effective. It's time to hand the keys over and see how the young man can drive. Let George Hill zip around and play SG for the rest of the year..and maybe accept bullet passes from #1. If it's not working, revert back and hope Danny is available in 2013.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Let's not pretend Lance didn't put himself behind the 8 ball with the fanbase before he ever even suited up. That plays a large role in the amount of dislike for him.

Did for me anyway.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    In all seriousness, I'm not sure why he keeps sitting for Sam Young. I'm not saying put him ahead of PG24 or David West, but Sam Young?
    I am saying put Lance in over PG24. Free Lance!
    David "And One" West

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Let's not pretend Lance didn't put himself behind the 8 ball with the fanbase before he ever even suited up. That plays a large role in the amount of dislike for him.

Did for me anyway.
    Very true. I had the same thoughts. But given his off court record, I have forgiven and forgot that. He has a clean slate in my book...

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Very true. I had the same thoughts. But given his off court record, I have forgiven and forgot that. He has a clean slate in my book...
    I don't want to rehash the whole thing and I hope it doesn't become that, but I more or less agree, I guess. He's been nothing but a model citizen and pro far as we know in his time here since then so I'm willing to evaluate him based on nothing but his on floor merits. And they're very good and he should not be sitting for Sam Young, and I like Young.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I'm trying to figure out why he's still on the leash when guys like Paul and Green constantly break plays and get sloppy with the ball and never get punished for it. Lance has nearly a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio (should be higher if teammates weren't broke), he's taking care of the ball. He's almost too careful with the ball trying to play within the system. Even when he does break a play and do something off the cuff he's the only guy on the team that can make it work.

FREE LANCE!!!!!!

43. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

I don't get this. I mean, he's been a pleasant surprise, but I'm not ready to start a movement over the guy.

45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post: