Thread: OJ Mayo Continues To Make Us Pay

Default OJ Mayo Continues To Make Us Pay

27 points, shooting 58% at the three point line with over 3 threes a game.

A natural born scorer, wouldve fit great with Paul George at the 3 position.

http://tracking.si.com/2011/12/13/o-...ficially-dead/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Future For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Default Re: OJ Mayo Continues To Make Us Pay

He is making us pay for what? Wanting to acquire him but failing to do so because the Hornets and then the Grizzlies pulled out of the negotiations?

4. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Protect the Promise. HOOPFANATIC's Avatar

And him not wanting to come to this small market. So much so he took a pay cut.
    Protect the Promise!!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HOOPFANATIC For This Useful Post:

It does make me sick when I think of what Cuban picked up on his plan B free agency this year and he got every player at low ball prices. Kaman, Mayo, Brand,
    DC and Jones. If Walsh could have forced a delay on Hibbert and Hill we might have made out much better. After an aggressive plan A he just waited around until options for Kaman and Mayo were diminishing and picked up an amnesty player in the process. Kind of sounds like something Bird would have done. Mayo has played better this year then I thought he would.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Mayo went to Dallas because he gets to start, whereas he knew he wouldn't start here before Granger got hurt.

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DGPR For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's not as if we turned him down...And if we had somehow signed him he would have made Lance redundant and we would never have seen him come out of his shell in a Pacers uniform.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Who says that if Mayo came here he would be having the season he's having in Dallas? He could have come here and been just a chucker, and having fans complain about getting him. No one has a crystal ball that shows how a player will be if you would acquire them. Case in point is DJ Augustin. I never in my wildest dreams ever thought Augustin would such a bust in the 13 games he's played in a Pacers uni.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Exactly.He would have probably been sucked into the mediocrity(understatement) of this team this year.

As Collison's averages continue to fall toward what they were the past 2 seasons, people have to complain about something, I suppose. The front office didn't anticipate Granger's knee issue being so serious, so Mayo would've had a bench role, and we saw what he did in a bench role in Memphis. He's a guy who has to start and who has to take the most shots (or close to it) to be productive, so it didn't make any sense to sign him and he didn't want to come here anyway.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

I'm not giving up on Gerald Green, the guy can score, just needs to become the scorer with that second unit by being more agressive and looking for his shot, same with D.J., lets not forget when Danny gets back Lance is moving to the second unit so we have 2 scoring options there in Gerald and Lance. I think Green will end up being a good pick up, just wait

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not giving up on Gerald Green, the guy can score, just needs to become the scorer with that second unit by being more agressive and looking for his shot, same with D.J., lets not forget when Danny gets back Lance is moving to the second unit so we have 2 scoring options there in Gerald and Lance. I think Green will end up being a good pick up, just wait
    Depending on how they playing it might be smarter to bring Granger off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Depending on how they playing it might be smarter to bring Granger off the bench.
    I don't agree with that, our biggest problem has been offesnive production this year and Granger has been our best offensive player, so I don't know why you would bring him off the bench

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Was money the reason we didn't sign Mayo? I remember there were reports that his agent was looking for, like, $9-10M per season. He eventually signed with Dallas for the bargain-basement contract of 2/$8.5M, so those earlier reports seem a bit hard to believe.

Anyway, maybe his play will come back down to Earth, but thus far, it's looking like a HUGE miss on our part.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We'll see how he handles Dirk coming back and not having the shot volume he has now.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to 2minutes twoa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DGPR View Post
    I think Mayo went to Dallas because he gets to start, whereas he knew he wouldn't start here before Granger got hurt.
    I'm pretty sure it's this. He really wants to start and says he's much more comfortable as a starter. Supposedly he wanted a lot of money, but after the market dried up he took a job that allowed him to start. I thought he'd end up in Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Supposedly he wanted a lot of money, but after the market dried up he took a job that allowed him to start.
    Exactly. He's playing this season as an audition for a big contract next year. No way was he gonna come to the Pacers as the second guard off the bench and score ten points a game.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    Exactly. He's playing this season as an audition for a big contract next year. No way was he gonna come to the Pacers as the second guard off the bench and score ten points a game.
    I thought he signed a 2 year deal.

Also, I imagine Carlisle is making him look as good as he's capable of looking.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

RLeWorm

I have always like Oj Mayo's games. Memphis was stupid trying to use his as the 6th man. He finally is starting again and look what he's been doing.

I thought these were some interesting comments from Mayo why he chose the Mavericks and Carlisle:
    He wanted to be coached hard and Billups stressed to him how critical Carlisle was to his career blossoming.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/...responsibility

I regret it as much as you do for us failing to get him, but we should be looking at the present and future.
    Other SGs like OJ might become available soon and some of them could even be better players than Mayo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I thought he signed a 2 year deal.
    Second year is a player option. It looks like he's probably gonna opt out if he keeps playing like this.

Undefeated

Bit Ironic, didn't the initial trade for Mayo fall through because Cuban whined like a little ***** about the Hornets being owned by the league and therefore should not be doing trades that aren't approved by owners?
    Danger Zone