Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Wild Card Thread (W/L updated)

Default Re: The Wild Card Thread (W/L updated)

Great game by the colts. They had no business winning that game last week . Luck just keeps getting better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Colts currently own the tie breakers with both Cincy and Pittsburgh. If they fininshed tied with either team, the Colts would get the playoff spot.
    It's not likely, but if I understand it correctly there is a scenario where the Bengals could end up with the tiebreaker over the Colts. If the Colts happen to lose 3 out of 4, and the bengals go 2-2 but win their 2 conference games they'd both be 9-7, and the Bengals get in with a 7-5 conference record.

And then there might be another scenario... right now you guys have the strength of victory over the Bengals, but that could change quite a bit in 4 games. 3 out of the Bengals 4 opponents could end up with an above .500 record. If you guys lose twice, one being the Chiefs, and we go 3-1 beating the Cowboys, SteAlers, and Ravens we'd tie in the conference (7-5) and with common opponents (3-2). We'd then go to SOV, and I think it's too early to tell who ends up with that at this point.

The biggest game this weekend, besides our own of course, is the Patriots/Texans game. Needless to say, I'm rooting for the Patriots to insure the Texans are forced to play through the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    Great game by the colts. They had no business winning that game last week . Luck just keeps getting better and better.

It's not likely, but if I understand it correctly there is a scenario where the Bengals could end up with the tiebreaker over the Colts. If the Colts happen to lose 3 out of 4, and the bengals go 2-2 but win their 2 conference games they'd both be 9-7, and the Bengals get in with a 7-5 conference record.

And then there might be another scenario... right now you guys have the strength of victory over the Bengals, but that could change quite a bit in 4 games. 3 out of the Bengals 4 opponents could end up with an above .500 record. If you guys lose twice, one being the Chiefs, and we go 3-1 beating the Cowboys, SteAlers, and Ravens we'd tie in the conference (7-5) and with common opponents (3-2). We'd then go to SOV, and I think it's too early to tell who ends up with that at this point.

The biggest game this weekend, besides our own of course, is the Patriots/Texans game. Needless to say, I'm rooting for the Patriots to insure the Texans are forced to play through the end of the season.
    Yeah but if the Bengals win their last 2 AFC games they will have knocked Pittsburgh out of the tiebreaker against the Colts in that situation as well. Either way the Tennessee and Kansas City games are must-win situations.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Good call didn't think about that. Yeah, you guys are most likely in. I was hoping you guys would have to suffer without the playoffs for at least a couple years . It ain't fair. Why did I have to be a Bengal fan...

We suffered enough with Curtis Painter last year.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Oh please... one down year sandwiched between 20 years worth of Hall of Fame quarterbacking... for some reason I'm not feeling too sorry for yall. Suffering is going 20 years without a playoff win and rooting for a team owned by Mike Brown.

Yea I'm jealous.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    Good call didn't think about that. Yeah, you guys are most likely in. I was hoping you guys would have to suffer without the playoffs for at least a couple years . It ain't fair. Why did I have to be a Bengal fan...
    Instead of hoping for Colts fans to suffer, can't we all just hope for the suffering of Steelers fans and maybe some day Patriots fans as well?

We Colts and Bengals fans don't have to hate each other, at least not yet.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Merz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Merz View Post
    Instead of hoping for Colts fans to suffer, can't we all just hope for the suffering of Steelers fans and maybe some day Patriots fans as well?

We Colts and Bengals fans don't have to hate each other, at least not yet.
    I don't really dislike the Colts, but you can imagine the smack I get being a Bengal fan in Indy. Believe me, I hate the Steelers more than any team in any sport.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Mood

I can imagine. But please realize that not every Colt fan here started liking the team once Peyton started playing. I remember the early '90s (yes I was young, but still) when the Colts and Bengals had the rivalry of who was the bigger joke team. So, we had our suffering. The Steelers fans...not so much, so please join me in prayer to the football gods. May we both pray for years upon years of crappy Steelers play.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Merz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Merz View Post
    I can imagine. But please realize that not every Colt fan here started liking the team once Peyton started playing. I remember the early '90s (yes I was young, but still) when the Colts and Bengals had the rivalry of who was the bigger joke team. So, we had our suffering. The Steelers fans...not so much, so please join me in prayer to the football gods. May we both pray for years upon years of crappy Steelers play.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

The 80s (well, starting in 83) Colts were an abomination. One playoff appearance (loss) buoyed to a large degree by it being a strike year.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, lots to talk about today that affected the AFC picture. All the players are still the same, the Bengals, Steelers, and Colts are the three teams still trying for the two Wild Card spots with everyone else on the outside looking in. But, the Bengals and Steelers both screwed the pooch today. However, they both also lucked out when the Skins downed Baltimore. With the Colts winning today and those two losing, the Colts are essentially in. The Bengals and Steelers are both 7-6 now and play each other one more time so one of those two teams will finish no better than 9-7. This means the Colts can lose three straight to finish 9-7 and would own the tiebreaker with whichever of the two finishes with the same record. The Bills are one of two teams left that could have sneaked in to make any noise but they lost too. Miami is the other and they have San Fran in the afternoon game. Not only that, but Baltimore losing also helps us avoid a first round matchup with the Broncos or the Pats. If the playoffs started today we would travel to Baltimore instead, with the Steelers drawing the Pats. No bones about it, today was a good day for the Colts in many ways.
    Last edited by travmil; 12-09-2012 at 05:58 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This is the reaction of every Cleveland Brown's fan to that statement:

Never half-a** two things. Whole-a** one thing.

Were the Colts a Jets loss away from clinching today?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As far as I can tell, yes. If the Jets also had lost the Colts would have clinched.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

If we somehow end up with a better record than the Ravens and the Ravens finish the regular season as Division winners and we get to play them in the Wild Card round,will it be at their place cause they won the Division?

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    If we somehow end up with a better record than the Ravens and the Ravens finish the regular season as Division winners and we get to play them in the Wild Card round,will it be at their place cause they won the Division?
    Yes.

1 more win and we're in, and also the Jets losing next week or in Week 17 will get us in too.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Yes.

1 more win and we're in, and also the Jets losing next week or in Week 17 will get us in too.
    It doesn't look like that will quite get the Colts to official. Looking at the ESPN playoff machine, if Pitt wins their 2 AFC games, Cincy loses to Pitt and otherwise win out, the Jets lose a game, and the Colts lose out that would create a 3 way tie at 9-7. Pitt would get in over the Colts do to SOV and the Colts would get in over Cincy due to SOV. But SOV could be heavily influences by how a bunch of other teams finish, so the Colts wouldn't officially know until the end of the season in that scenario. So a Colts win would definitely clinch, but a Jets loss by itself won't do it.

Also a Jets loss won't do it because there's still that tiny possibility that Cincy and Pittsburgh will tie, which would allow them both to go 9-6-1 versus the Colts 9-7.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs231721 View Post
    It doesn't look like that will quite get the Colts to official. Looking at the ESPN playoff machine, if Pitt wins their 2 AFC games, Cincy loses to Pitt and otherwise win out, the Jets lose a game, and the Colts lose out that would create a 3 way tie at 9-7. Pitt would get in over the Colts do to SOV and the Colts would get in over Cincy due to SOV. But SOV could be heavily influences by how a bunch of other teams finish, so the Colts wouldn't officially know until the end of the season in that scenario. So a Colts win would definitely clinch, but a Jets loss by itself won't do it.

Also a Jets loss won't do it because there's still that tiny possibility that Cincy and Pittsburgh will tie, which would allow them both to go 9-6-1 versus the Colts 9-7.
    Simply put the Colts just have to win one of their last 3 games. This week's game against the Texans would be a great opportunity to make a statement and clinch a Playoff berth. If not, the following week against the Chiefs should definitely be the clincher. Either way I think the Colts will eventually clinch a Playoff spot.

In all of this, I wonder how Peyton Manning views Andrew Luck and the Colts. It would be great if they could somehow meet up in the Playoffs.

Bengals vs Steelers is pretty much a playoff game now that the Jets lost. Can't say I'm too confident seeing how the games in Pittsburgh, Andy's yet to get a win against them, and they've owned for past few years.You learn to expect the worse as a Bengal fan.

Regardless what happens, I still like the make up of the squad. If our guys stay healthy, we'll be in the mix for the next 6-8 years. By then hopefully Ben's days of running around like a chicken with his head cut off, breaking 14 tackles, and then throwing 60 yards to a wide open Antonio Brown will be long gone.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think its funny that we control our own destiny. 2 wins and we're in. The AFC is really having a lackluster year as we've known for over a month which seven teams were competing for which six playoff spots and I've said all along I thought the Bengals would be one of them given the really soft stretch of schedule they just ripped through.

(And give the Bungles credit, we've been an absolute disaster against the weak AFC West this year. Yuck! And Cincy has taken care of business against the teams we both should have beaten (they're 6-2 against the AFC West and NFC East, we're 4-4 against those same 8 opponents and lucky KC didn't beat us to make us 3-5 against that part of our schedule.)

With our injury situation, we have no business making the playoffs, but with a pretty good record against Ohio teams and the last two games at home, we could make some grizzly-veteran, Super Bowl tested types of plays and get in.

And a 3-way tie at 9-7 is still not out of the question. Here's hoping the Ravens go 0-2!
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you