Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wild Card Thread (W/L updated)

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Wild Card Thread (W/L updated)

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Zero percent chance we lose to Denver. Peyton will choke....again
    This is ludicrous.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    If we lose to the Broncos in the wild card, I hope that we don't see a mass of fans who are neutral on the outcome because of being happy for Peyton, yet I fear that will be the case. I'll be just as ticked if we lose to the Broncos as I would be if we lost to the Pats, Steelers, etc.
    What would upset me more is the mass of fans who left for Denver coming back to rub our faces in it. The whole "Peyton's revenge" angle will be beaten to death.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Yes, that is what angers me the most, and it is not like the connections to those Colts are gone. Freeney is here, Mathis is here, Wayne is still a top 5 receiver in the NFL for crying out loud.

Honestly, there's a lot at stake for Wayne's legacy over the next two years, IMO, he's already the greatest WR the Colts have ever had, yes I put him above Marvin because Reggie has always produced more in the postseason, plus I just like him better. Marvin was a cold asshat.
    Boy did you ever hit that one dead eye. For many years I always thought Marvin was just a strange duck and really introverted. I still believe he is introverted but I did have one experience with him that really swayed my opinion he's also an introverted asshat as you describe. I had a request to put on a simple presentation for a group of LEO's on what preperations/planning was involved in protection for a Colts training camp. You know, a little on logistics, crowd control, and player protection. Well like anything else if you get too long and too detailed people get bored quick so I loosened up on the Xs and Os and focused on stories instead.

Naturally part of my slide presentation would feature some photos of players mingling with fans and or other famous people who would visit camp. Just so happened on this particular day John Madden

Edit: Something happened and wiped out half the story. I'll try to update or something.
    Last edited by RWB; 11-29-2012 at 03:20 PM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Edit: Something happened and wiped out half the story. I'll try to update or something.

Please do. You have my attention lol.

Yes, that is what angers me the most, and it is not like the connections to those Colts are gone. Freeney is here, Mathis is here, Wayne is still a top 5 receiver in the NFL for crying out loud.

Honestly, there's a lot at stake for Wayne's legacy over the next two years, IMO, he's already the greatest WR the Colts have ever had, yes I put him above Marvin because Reggie has always produced more in the postseason, plus I just like him better. Marvin was a cold asshat.
    Boy did you ever hit that one dead eye. For many years I always thought Marvin was just a strange duck and really introverted. I still believe he is introverted but I did have one experience with him that really swayed my opinion he's also an introverted asshat as you describe. I had a request to put on a simple presentation for a group of LEO's on what preperations/planning was involved in protection for a Colts training camp. You know, a little on logistics, crowd control, and player protection. Well like anything else if you get too long and too detailed people get bored quick so I loosened up on the Xs and Os and focused on stories instead.

Naturally part of my slide presentation would feature some photos of players mingling with fans and or other famous people who would visit camp. Just so happened on this particular day John Madden was in camp with his Madden bus. At the time Madden was still the #1 NFL broadcaster and even folks who didn't follow football knew who Madden was. Madden was nice enough to let me take a few photos at the sideline and I did this without getting in his way or having him pose for anything. In fact he was just standing there. Once again figured even non football folks would recoginize John 'Mr. Obvious' Madden in the slides. oops powerpoint.

Now what do I see out of the corner of my eye as I snap a few shots is Marvin sitting in a golf cart (he was hurt and not practicing that day) watching me. He is shaking his head, has this sneer on his face, and makes what everyone knows as a 'look at that dumbass snort or sigh'. I'm not making this up, I am not mistaken, he was disgusted with me for taking a few picture of John Madden.

I know for a fact he personally did not like to have his picture taken and really didn't like to sign even official NFL pictures except you have to at times. But once again I wasn't taking any of him and he was simply acting like a jerk. More important I saw good ole Marvin be a prick to a ball kid one time for no reason and there was no one else around.

Great player, should be in the Colts Ring of Honor and the Football Hall of Fame....No need for Marvin to elicit any votes for general nice guy, because he wasn't from what I saw.
    Last edited by RWB; 11-29-2012 at 03:31 PM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Naturally part of my slide presentation would feature some photos of players mingling with fans and or other famous people who would visit camp. Just so happened on this particular day John Madden was in camp with his Madden bus. At the time Madden was still the #1 NFL broadcaster and even folks who didn't follow football knew who Madden was. Madden was nice enough to let me take a few photos at the sideline and I did this without getting in his way or having him pose for anything. In fact he was just standing there.

Now what do I see out of the corner of my eye as I snap a few shots is Marvin sitting in a golf cart (he was hurt and not practicing that day) watching me. He is shaking his head, has this sneer on his face, and makes what everyone knows as a 'look at that dumbass snort or sigh'. I'm not making this up, I am not mistaken, he was disgusted with me for taking a few picture of John Madden.

I know for a fact he personally did not like to have his picture taken and really didn't like to sign even official NFL pictures except you have to at times. But once again I wasn't taking any of him and he was simply acting like a jerk. More important I saw good ole Marvin be a prick to a ball kid one time for no reason and there was no one else around.

Great player, should be in the Colts Ring of Honor and the Football Hall of Fame....No need for Marvin to elicit any votes for general nice guy, because he wasn't from what I saw.

Man, I could listen to your Colts training camp stories all day. Do you feel comfortable sharing any good ones about a certain QB who played here for 13 years?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Please do. You have my attention lol.
    Mine as well.

EDIT: Oh it's below haha.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Marvin tossed me a ball when he saw us in the stands at the Chiefs playoff game at Arrowhead in 2004. So he wasn't an ******* 100% of the time.

Still one of the best games I've ever been to.

-Lance Stephenson

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Man, I could listen to your Colts training camp stories all day. Do you feel comfortable sharing any good ones about a certain QB who played here for 13 years?
    Maybe some day.... still a little early and I like getting a paycheck. At different times I'll try to get some out there when I can avoid the landmines so to speak.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Yeah, they are great.

Here's the thing that sets Marvin and Reggie apart. Everyone always blew Marvin so hard in the media cause he never acted like a prima donna wanting the ball. Well, Reggie doesn't do that either, but he also shows emotion to the crowd and gets them hyped up as he was doing before the Buffalo game in the end zone. Plus does anyone think Marvin would have busted out the orange gloves like Reggie did? I don't think so, Reggie isn't a prima donna who doesn't demand the ball, but he also shows emotion and seems like a real person. Marvin honestly has a lot of the ear marks of a passive aggressive psycho.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Marvin tossed me a ball when he saw us in the stands at the Chiefs playoff game at Arrowhead in 2004. So he wasn't an ******* 100% of the time.

That game showcased just how bad the Colts D was. Colts offense put on a clinic and still couldn't pull away.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post

I am so glad to hear that. Saw Marvin driving around in a cart one time and toss out a ton of Tasty Cakes to the fans. Thought that was really cool. But like above I saw a Colts ball kid (not kid I guess, like high school age) approach Marvin (once again no one was round) as he was going into the locker room and simply asked for an autograph on a football. Marvin laughed at him and closed the door in his face. That's when I officially knew Marvin was a prick.
    Last edited by RWB; 11-29-2012 at 03:43 PM.

I've heard enough stories about Marvin to know that he had a cold side, the guy was just...weird.

Maybe some day.... still a little early and I like getting a paycheck. At different times I'll try to get some out there when I can avoid the landmines so to speak.

I definitely understand. I appreciate everything you've told us so far. These are some great stories.

I don't know. For me it's just individual fan incidents where Marvin basically had a cold shoulder at all times. The guy just didn't like personal contact of any kind IMO, and like I said he seems passive aggressive. Remember the story about hwo when he wanted the ball he would whisper in Peyton's ear "Feed me Peyton". Back then it was like oh so awesoome he's not distracting the team, but looking back it, it's kind of weird.

Marvin definitely seemed like a bit of an odd duck. But boy that cat sure could play. I loved watching 88 tear it up. I don't think Manning would have been as great in the early stages of his career if he didn't have such an elite receiver to depend on. The amount of times he targeted Harrison in those first few years is proof of this, IMO. It's like Luck with Wayne now (too bad Wayne isn't 5 years younger right now). By the end of his tenure here, Manning was so great that he could make any scrub look good. But he definitely needed Marvin in the beginning.

I will say that Marvin seemed genuinely moved by the Ring of Honor ceremony last year. I remember going to the restroom after the ceremony where they always have the Lamey broadcast playing. He was interviewing Marvin and asked him about the HOF. Marvin said that he hadn't given the HOF much thought and that simply being remembered as a Colt for life was good enough for him. I loved hearing that.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

I've toyed with getting a Peyton Bronco jersey, but I just can't wear another team's colors. No matter who it is, even Peyton.

I enjoy watching Peyton and his comeback, but if we were to be matched up with him and lose, I would still feel the same as I do after any playoff loss. Although it will be different, because at least Peyton can keep on playing, so I'll use that to make my depression ease up.

Peyton can keep kicking *** as long as it isn't against us or hurt us.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:

Quick Peyton story that I was told and not involved, but learned through sharing information/training.

It was after the winning Super Bowl season and Peyton autograph seeking had reached an even higher pitch which is hard to believe. The team was in some hotel in North Carolina and fans find out where people stay and if they try hard enough they can get who they want.

Just so happens some middle aged woman was sitting in the lobby with her arm in a cast. Peyton was in the lobby too and she got up and approached him. She wasn't pushy but acted like what a surprise to see someone famous here yet somehow has a football in her hand. Apparently Peyton obliged especially since her arm was hurt. A few minutes later she was escorted out of the hotel since she didn't have a room or belong there..... Sounds cruel, but when you consider when she got Peyton's autograph she went back to the couch and proceeded to take the cast off. That's right boys and girls she used a fake cast to get a little sympathy and insure she got the autograph. Since I wasn't there I can't tell if she simply was a big fan and desperate to get it. But more than likely I guess folks have to make a living off of ebay which I've seen too many times. Kicked out more than my share of adults/kids who have duffel bags full of jerseys and helmets (and I mean mutiple same numbers) whose only purpose was not to collect as fans, but make a profit in business.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

That game showcased just how bad the Colts D was. Colts offense put on a clinic and still couldn't pull away.
    Not a single punt. From either team. Crazy. We just happened to have the ball last.

-Lance Stephenson

For some reason I couldn't update the first post.

Division Leaders W L T
    Texans 11 1
    Patriots 9 3
    Ravens 9 3
    Broncos 9 3

Wildcard W L T
    Colts 8 4
    Steelers 7 5

In The Hunt
    Bengals 7 5
    Dolphins 5 6

Still Alive
    Jets 5 7
    Bills 5 7
    Dolphins 5 7

The others.... a waste of time or eliminated.

My biggest concern is this: Pittsburgh or Cincy could easily win out putting them at 11-5. The other could easily go 3-1 and finish at 10-6. How would the tie breaker work if the Colts finished tied with either of those two teams?
    /

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound80 View Post
    My biggest concern is this: Pittsburgh or Cincy could easily win out putting them at 11-5. The other could easily go 3-1 and finish at 10-6. How would the tie breaker work if the Colts finished tied with either of those two teams?
    /
    The Colts currently own the tie breakers with both Cincy and Pittsburgh. If they fininshed tied with either team, the Colts would get the playoff spot.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound80 View Post
    /
    I think Pittsburgh will fade, and will finish around 8-8. The Steelers have random, down years where they don't make the playoffs. Wouldn't put too much stock in their win over Baltimore. Ravens are overrated. NE is by far the top team in the AFC
    David "And One" West

I've heard enough stories about Marvin to know that he had a cold side, the guy was just...weird.
    well as bad as snubbing ball boys for autographs, or "sneering" at people is, he also had a dude or two killed...

(allegedly).

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/20...arvin-harrison

35. The Following User Says Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Should also point out that should BOTH Cincy and Pitt happen to falter and fall out of the race, the Colts also own the tiebreaker with Miami and Buffalo due to their head to head wins over them.