Thread: Pacers-Clips from the stands

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Pacers-Clips from the stands

OK I just got back from the game and here are a few thoughts, not trying to do a Peck impersonation, just thought I'd give you a few tid-bits that might not have been obvious on TV -

1) If Edwards stunk any worse, they would have evacuated the building due to the fumes. The ultimate bad sign? My wife doesn't even follow basketball and she kept saying "What the hell is that number 54 guy doing?!" She said it over and over and over.

2) Gill stepped up - but wasted alot of his time telling Edwards what to do on the court. Some things you can't teach. Don't know if this was obvious from TV, but it was frustrating from the stands.

3) If you have the ball and the game is on the line, you have to shoot, pass or drive, not hold the ball and look around. Edwards, I'm talking to you.

4) Johnsen - dammit - DUNK THE BALL. Don't miss easy layups - If you can stuff it, STUFF IT!

5) Haislip had been on the team for 6 whole hours and actually hustled and showed promise - and stuffed it when he had the chance, unlike Johnsen. Good pickup.

6) Pollard's full-body, burnt rust colored, open collared leisure suit was unbelieveable. TV just can't give the funk respect. Whoa.

7) It was nearly as heartbreaking watching Harrison limp to the locker room at halftime as it was watching him walk from one top of the key to the other top of the key while the Clips made their run in the 3rd. Every now and then a Pacer would take off the warm-ups and stand by the scorer's table, and Harrison would just look at Carlisle with this kind of pleading look instead of following the ball. When I saw only 7 players in the shoot around (someone else suited up but I'm not sure who) I thought, "how can it be worse?" Folks, it just got worse.

8) Freddie's driving skills are undeniable - wish he had done it just a little more.

9) JJ's ability to get open and nail it from past the arc are undeniable - wish he had done it just a little more.

10) Staples during a Clips game was the quietest venue I've ever been in. You could hear an old man pass gas in there.

11) The most exciting moment of the night happened during a time out around the start of the fourth quarter. A pudgy looking guy in a baseball cap was brought to half court for a chance to win a new Dodge Magnum - you've seen this before. Remember when you were a kid, and your coach talked about visualizing the ball from the release in front of your eyes to the back of the rim? This guy took an UGLY-A$$ studder-step running shuffle and launched the ball like a two handed pass - not from his eyes, but from somewhere between his belly-button and the top of his beer gut. He let it go from about half court........and it hit nothing but net. The crowd EXPLODED! The Pacers' players lost their concentration from the noise - looking up instead of listening to Carlisle. The game officially got away from that very moment.

12) I love the Pacers and their heart, and I don't ever remember having an opportunity to see every member of a bench actually show their stuff by starting. For what it's worth, I appreciate the experience of watching these guys play live. And the guys out on the court will be the first to tell you, it may have never happened otherwise.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Default Re: Pacers-Clips from the stands

Your team - or what there is of it - is impressing the hell out of me. Carlisle is impressing the hell out of me.

I was on the Knicks board posting after our game and had the Pacers game on. When I told them who was playing it kind of staggered them. I was figuring on watching about 10 minutes of the game - no matter how hard they play that group can't compete with a winning team in their house can they? Ended staying until the bitter end.

I may nominate Carlisle for coach of the century. Heck, if Shaq could make the 50 greatest players list after 5 seasons Carlisle can get an award for what he's managed to get done at the start of this season.

Amazing stuff.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

stipo

Thanks for the great report L.A.

Sports Logo

When I tuned in and saw that both Tins and Cro were out I knew we would lose. But I have to give it to these guys they put on a good show and kept it close for a while there.

I agree on Edwards every time I see him I get a little bit more pissed off that he is on the team.

Haslip suprised me. I could see him turning into a basketball player within a few years. Please Donnie cut Edwards and sit Haslip in that spot at the end of the bench once the other guys are back.

You have to give Gill credit he has earned his spot in the league. Does anyone actually think we would have been better off with Johnson out there?

The Jones boys are what is really making this all worth while. By the time everyone gets back these guys are going to be seasoned vets and our rotation can be a lot deeper than it has in the past. I dont think James Jones will be getting left off the playoff roster this year. (watch him and Gill will be left off but Edwards will be on)

Yes, thanx very much for the report. I don't know how many others like me have no way of watching pacers games, but after a game, I love to see a player by player analysis of how the game went. No matter how many times it is done in a thread, especially now with these wierd circumstances on the ieam, I would love to hear how these guys do. The AP and indystar reports are generally pathetic.

Thanx Again

Sports Logo

Get league pass it is well worth the money even if you have to go without food for a week it is worth it.

Anthony Johnson may or may not be better than Gill, but with being able to play, Gill would not have had to play pretty much the whole game. It would have made a huge difference. Fred Jones really struggled at the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haslip suprised me. I could see him turning into a basketball player within a few years. Please Donnie cut Edwards and sit Haslip in that spot at the end of the bench once the other guys are back.
    I think that might happen. Given Harrison's development, we are now 4 deep at center: JO-Foster-Pollard-Harrison (not necessarily in that order). I can't see us needing to keep another one since at least 3 of those centers will be here for a while.

Granted, we are deep at the 4 as well, but mainly because 2 of our centers (JO, Foster) also play there. But I'd rather have Haslip than Edwards any day of the week.

Did we sign the players in the past two weeks to season long contracts, or are they partially non-guaranteed, like Edwards? I don't know the rules to contracts that are signed mid season.

With Artest out, they will probably need to fill some depth holes at the swing position and PF.

stipo

It's watching players like Edwards that encourages a fan like me to think I know something about team management. What IS he besides a warm body? At what time did he show enough talent to be signed to a contract? Are players over 6'9" who have a CLUE REALLY THAT RARE?

BTW L.A., your story about the contest winner reminded me of something that happened several years ago. The Pacers had a contest where a guy hit a half court shot for about 10 grand I believe. The interesting thing was that the guy had a scholarship at a small school in Indianapolis for basketball. To take the money he had to drop the scholarship. He took the cash, and I never heard what happened to him. Does anyone out there know?

Dream Big

Who was flashing their picture along side Mark Jackson and Reggie Miller? I know I've seen that picture before.

Quote Originally Posted by tora tora
    Who was flashing their picture along side Mark Jackson and Reggie Miller? I know I've seen that picture before.
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=7730
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

mkm1998

Yeah, that half court shot was amazing. I dunno if they showed it on tv, but Miller was clapping his hands for him the entire time. He even pointing the shot out on the screen to Pollard.

Haha I had a feeling the conversation was probably "Man, that guy can hit...check if we have an extra jersey out back. God knows we could use an extra body."

Quote Originally Posted by mkm1998
    Yeah, that half court shot was amazing. I dunno if they showed it on tv, but Miller was clapping his hands for him the entire time. He even pointing the shot out on the screen to Pollard.

Haha I had a feeling the conversation was probably "Man, that guy can hit...check if we have an extra jersey out back. God knows we could use an extra body."
    The guy could at least give the 7 footers a ride to the gym in that new big-*** car of his!
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

lol@The fat guys shot. He swished it to! They showed it on tv...I was like uh! What!? LOL see they pick someone who they think WOULD NEVER hit that shot. LOL And he did...funny
    btw if it was during halftime (which they said it was?) how did the players see it? Shouldnt they have been in the locker room? maybe I'm wrong on this. lol
    anyways nice recap

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it was between quarters - Mark and Slick were talking about it, too.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

It was NOT at halftime. It was around the beginning of the 4th. I'm pretty sure it happened during a TO, but it could have been at the quarter mark. Either way, it brought the house down. The clippers "zany announcer" guy ran up to him and they jumped into the air and hugged! The guy ran around in a circle giving Hi-5s to anyone and everyone, players included. The Pacers were huddled around Carlisle until ... well you know the rest. I honestly believe that any concentration the Ps had before this happened went out the window. Some people blame the injuries/suspensions/fatigue/whatever. I BLAME THE HAIL MARY.

lol man I always see people take that shot and Laugh cuz I go "No way this guy makes it" that's what they always do! Pick someone who has almost no shot at all. If it was me...I would have banked it in. LOL