Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Two Pacers to the D League this weekend.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Re: Two Pacers to the D League this weekend.

Plumlee had 23/7

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I could care less if he was a black hole. As long as he makes them!! which he did!!!
    You could care less huh?

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    You could care less huh?
    lol, you know what I meant!!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    here is my breakdown of Orlando Johnson:
    WE HAVE FOUND OUR LEBRON JAMES!!!!! ok on a serious note, Orlando Johnson looks like a very promising prospect, he has good ball handling skills, and is great at creating his own shot, he can pull up and hit the mid range jumper, but he will also take you off the dribble. A very encouraging sign to me was that he was able to drive in and make some very difficult lay-up shots with his left hand, which is encouraging because he is right handed. I have high hopes for Orlando Johnson, I think he can turn into a player like James Harden, similar body types and similar skills. Yes I think Orlando can be just as good as James Harden if he develops right. We could have a very great player in OJ if everything goes right!
    I need help figuring out something. Let's look at the context here. Many of these skills that you mention....I assume existed when he played in college.....and appears to be on display against Players in the D-League ( basically Players that are somewhere on the skill level of College Players and NBA Players that couldn't make it ).

The question is about the competition level that OJ and Plumlee will be playing against.

I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of his playing time in the D-League....I am trying to figure out is would these skills translate on the NBA court against NBA level Players. I guess the answer to that rather obvious question is yes.....but what aludes me is why we aren't able to see these skills on display when he did get some time on the court when he was in the NBA. Is it a matter of confidence against more talented Players? Is it a simple matter of playing time? Is it a matter of Vogel telling him to fit into a particular role that he is not familiar with because his role was different on his previous team?
    Last edited by CableKC; 11-26-2012 at 12:05 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Just watched the game. Loved OJ's play. That's by far the best I've seen him play since we drafted him. I'd love to see him get some more time at Fort Wayne to get his confidence built back up.

Miles looked good too. It was nice to see them draw up a play for him at the end. And it was great that he converted it.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I need help figuring out something. Let's look at the context here. Many of these skills that you mention....I assume existed when he played in college.....and appears to be on display against Players in the D-League ( basically Players that are somewhere on the skill level of College Players and NBA Players that couldn't make it ).

The question is about the competition level that OJ and Plumlee will be playing against.

I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of his playing time in the D-League....I am trying to figure out is would these skills translate on the NBA court against NBA level Players. I guess the answer to that rather obvious question is yes.....but what aludes me is why we aren't able to see these skills on display when he did get some time on the court when he was in the NBA. Is it a matter of confidence against more talented Players? Is it a simple matter of playing time? Is it a matter of Vogel telling him to fit into a particular role that he is not familiar with because his role was different on his previous team?
    Probably because he has only gotten about 4 minutes of playing time, and most players take a few games to get used to the speed and athleticism of the NBA. Obviously he is also going up against better competition in the NBA so I wouldn't expect him to be as good against NBA competition, but the first big hurdle that a player faces when stepping up to the next level is always getting used to the speed of play and increased precision. The only fix for that is playing time, which Orlando has very little of at this point.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Looks like Orlando and Plumlee are leaving the d-league team for the west coast road trip.

http://www.journalgazette.net/articl...43/1008/SPORTS

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Looks like OJ and Miles made a stop in Warsaw on their way back from Ft Wayne.
    Teammate bonding over spoiled applesauce.

https://twitter.com/milesplumlee13/s...45911433621504
    Miles Plumlee @milesplumlee13
    @Pace_O11 thought this applesauce at my house didn't taste quite like applesauce. Then we saw the '09 on the label lol

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PritchSlap For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PritchSlap View Post
    Looks like OJ and Miles made a stop in Warsaw on their way back from Ft Wayne.
    Teammate bonding over spoiled applesauce.

https://twitter.com/milesplumlee13/s...45911433621504
    Great....now I expect to see a tweet about OJ missing some games due to intestinal / diarrhea issue

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by J7F View Post
    I just don't see why so many still hold so much hatred towards him... He was the 26th pick in the draft... It's not like we blew a top 10 pick on him or something... He's looked decent to good to me in the limited time I've seen him play in SL, Preseason, and RegSeason...

Then again I have no college bias against him (both in terms of his production and who he played for)... I still think he will pan out well for a 26th pick...

This is no Thabeet at 2 type of situation... But the things some posters write would make you think it is...
    Yea he looked average against rookies, has beens, never will be's in meaningless summer league games, that always gets me excited too. He has also played well in mop up duty of blow outs against third stringers.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    Looks like Orlando and Plumlee are leaving the d-league team for the west coast road trip.

Unless there is any intention to play them, I see no need to recall them. I'd rather have them play 25mpg with the Mad Ants rather than sitting at the end of the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by doctor-h View Post
    Yea he looked average against rookies, has beens, never will be's in meaningless summer league games, that always gets me excited too. He has also played well in mop up duty of blow outs against third stringers.
    he outplayed every big man he went up against and made the all summer league team. that's better than average imo

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    he outplayed every big man he went up against and made the all summer league team. that's better than average imo
    Yeah, he's already proven the majority of Pacer's Digest wrong. Even if they won't admit it.

I really like how well he moves. He's extremely mobile for a big man. Should cure our pick and roll D problems in the future.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Great....now I expect to see a tweet about OJ missing some games due to intestinal / diarrhea issue
    Well, wouldn't be the first time a Pacer has gone down with "food poisoning". Seemed to happen quite often during the Tinsley, Jackson era....
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

TBH i think it was just a matter of confidence with in the summer league. He missed a lot of his shots and then he started missing them because he was not confident in his shot. H was shooting it hoping it would go inn instead of knowing it would. He also forced some shots that he would not normally take just so he can show the coaches he is not a bad player due to his bad play. A lot of the shots he missed in summer league, he would make the exact same shot in college, had nothing due to with the defender or anything just missed shots he is used to making and he got very frustrated which led him to miss a lot of shots IMO. I think he is a good player.

EDIT: i assume when you were talking about his NBA time on the court you meant summer league, he has about 3 minutes of PT in the NBA right now
    Last edited by BlueCollarColts; 11-26-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Excellent article by Mark Montieth on Mile's and OJ's D League adventure. Quotes from the Mad Ants coach and Mel Daniels. Sounds like it was a positive experience for both of them. And it sounds like they actually got some coaching, I wasn't sure how much of that would happen over a weekend stint.

Here's a Mel Daniels quote to whet your appetite.
    Longtime Pacers scout Mel Daniels drove up to watch Sunday's game, and came away most impressed with Plumlee.

"He runs well, and he has a good feel on the (low-post) block," Daniels said. "His problem is that he thinks rather than reacts, so it causes him to seem a little slow and not be as explosive as he should be. I think those things will come in time. He needs to be shown how to be efficient in the interior, by using his body and using his legs to help him rebound."
    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/d-doesnt-stand-demotion

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really loved this quote from the coach of the Mad Ants:

“I think this was a great experience for both of them,” Ants coach Duane Ticknor said. “They were happy to be here; they were glad to get back on the court. We’ll welcome them when they come back again.
    There's nothing better than a "You'll be back" from a minor league coach to keep you motivated.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Yeah, he's already proven the majority of Pacer's Digest wrong. Even if they won't admit it.
    I'm not sure 16 total minutes of garbage time have proven much of anything.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

I was expecting to see Hibbert's name.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    About time.

Miles ****ing Plumlee. What a wasted pick.
    No worries.

It's normal for 24 year old 1st round picks to go to d-league. We don't want to stunt his growth by rushing him. Be patient, he'll be ready by the age of 30.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Unless there is any intention to play them, I see no need to recall them. I'd rather have them play 25mpg with the Mad Ants rather than sitting at the end of the bench.
    A lot of teams like to take rookies who aren't playing on long road trips just so they get acclimated to the travel of the NBA. They feel that's just as productive as playing in the D-League.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    A lot of teams like to take rookies who aren't playing on long road trips just so they get acclimated to the travel of the NBA. They feel that's just as productive as playing in the D-League.
    I'm sure that there is some valid reason to do that.....but IMHO....Miles and OJ have plenty of time to get used to the travel over the next couple of months....I prefer that they get the coaching and playing time so that they get confidence as opposed to sitting at the end of the bench on a long road trip.

I'm sure that there is some valid reason to do that.....but IMHO....Miles and OJ have plenty of time to get used to the travel over the next couple of months....I prefer that they get the coaching and playing time so that they get confidence as opposed to sitting at the end of the bench on a long road trip.
    We have three days off. I am sure there will be practices. Beyond there own development working with our coaches, the other guys need people to play against in practice.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by doctor-h View Post
    I never said that he excited me... But he doesn't make me want to jump off a bridge like some on here...

And the only thing I've seen excite you is when the Pacers are struggling in any way shape or form...
    Last edited by J7F; 12-12-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    And Hibbert is an uncoordinated oaf who was able to work hard and overcome his weakness to make someone want to pay him $14 mill a year. It is a lat easier to overcome short arms than it is to overcome being uncoordinated.Both of them just take hard work. That is something Hibbert has, and Harrison did not.

You can grow longer arms through hard work?

Sorry, had to go there.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."