Thread: IND/MIN Augustin trade idea

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default IND/MIN Augustin trade idea

It's probably a little too early, but I'm horribly disappointed with DJ Augustin. He seemed like a steal in FA, now it turns out he's only good at stealing money from the Pacers.

Anyway, he still has time to turn it around, as the earliest he can be traded is Dec. 15. But if the current level of suckiness persists, I'd suggest the following trade:

Augustin + pick* for JJ Barea

Why for TWolves: Shved is looking like a very nice pickup for them. Once Rubio returns, the Wolves will have a bit of a jam at the guard spots, despite losing Brandon Roy to injury. Most likely they'll be fielding a 3 man guard rotation with Rubio, Shved, and either Barea or Ridnour. Ridnour seems the better fit (less ball dominant) and has the better contract, so I think they'd consider moving Barea for cap relief. Their financial situation isn't that bad right now, but Pekovic will be looking for a major pay raise next year. A salary dump of Barea would help.

Why for Pacers: Our bench absolutely sucks. Barea would be our main second unit scorer (essentially a younger Barbosa with some playmaking ability) and hopefully the attention he gets will free up Green and Mahinmi somewhat. It hurts somewhat to lose the only true PG on our roster, but let's face it he's been a bad fit and this move at least erases our FA signing mistake, at the cost of a pick. Barea's contract is also a little concerning (almost $14m over the next 3 years) but arguably we've always needed a player like him for our bench.

* Speaking of the pick, I can't decide whether the Pacers should give up a first or second. The homer in me thinks that a Pacers first would be late 20s, and hence disposable, but yeah it's not looking likely right now. Would Minny do it for just cap relief and a second? I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Default Re: IND/MIN Augustin trade idea

No way,
    That is more of a lateral move and doesn't do a whole lot now and cripples us in the long run. DJ is gone at the end of the year and JJ has another 9mil for 2 more years. Just not enough upgrade when the Pacers will have 13.5 mil going into the offseason for a upper tier type player (West 10mil + DJ 3.5mil).

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: IND/MIN Augustin trade idea

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No way,
    That is more of a lateral move and doesn't do a whole lot now and cripples us in the long run. DJ is gone at the end of the year and JJ has another 9mil for 2 more years. Just not enough upgrade when the Pacers will have 13.5 mil going into the offseason for a upper tier type player (West 10mil + DJ 3.5mil).
    At this point I would rather trade for Shved instead of Berea anyways...
    Why so SERIOUS