Thread: Passing too much?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Passing too much?

I love Luck, I have the most confidence in Luck. But I think Arians is calling too many pass plays for a rookie QB. Luck is advanced for a rookie, but the way we ran the ball in the first quarter against New England, they should have kept running it and keep TOP in their favor and wear down the Pats' D. Maybe those two picks six don't happen if we run the ball more.
    "We want Miami"

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Default Re: Passing too much?

Arians would still be in Pittsburgh if he ever discovered run-pass balance. He's a great teacher, which is why Rooney gave him a couple extra years to try for better balance. But he's not so good on the play calling aspect.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arians would still be in Pittsburgh if he ever discovered run-pass balance. He's a great teacher, which is why Rooney gave him a couple extra years to try for better balance. But he's not so good on the play calling aspect.

The Steelers ran the ball 434 times last year. Through 10 games this year, they have run it 273 times. If they keep the current pace up, they will run the ball about 436 time this year, which is identical to what they did a year ago. That says nothing about the balance, but it does appear that the Steelers are running the ball at an identical pace to a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    I love Luck, I have the most confidence in Luck. But I think Arians is calling too many pass plays for a rookie QB. Luck is advanced for a rookie, but the way we ran the ball in the first quarter against New England, they should have kept running it and keep TOP in their favor and wear down the Pats' D. Maybe those two picks six don't happen if we run the ball more.
    While I'll agree in wanting more of a running game I suspect as we were all afraid of Luck and Arians fell into the shoot out trap. And frankly it did appear the Pats could score anytime they wanted to. Just reminded me of some of those old Pat Colt games where Peyton felt like he had to score everytime.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Running game couldn't do anything consistently after the first quarter. New England really closed the edges.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Running game couldn't do anything consistently after the first quarter. New England really closed the edges.
    We just went away from the run.
    "We want Miami"

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    We just went away from the run.
    Ballard carried the ball 16 times for 72 yards. 1/3 of those yards came on the first drive on 3 carries. Ballard had 52 yards on 7 or 8 carries on the first couple drives. He then got 20 yards on his next 8 carries. So maybe we went away from the run a little bit, but New England really hit the running game hard the next 3 quarters. If we really were going to continue to run well, I would have expected Vick to show more yardage on those 8 carries especially with how pass heavy we were.

We ran the ball alright and we ran it enough. Brady was going to turn this into a shootout regardless. You can never pass too much with a young QB, the more reps the better IMO.

EDIT: In fact on the first INT for a TD, the first play of that drive was a run for 9 yards. Is there a better passing down in football than 2nd and 1? Absolutely not. So no I don't think we could have protected Luck any more than we did with the running game. We even tried to run the ball on our first drive of the second half. It just wasn't working.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 11-20-2012 at 01:08 PM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    The Steelers ran the ball 434 times last year. Through 10 games this year, they have run it 273 times. If they keep the current pace up, they will run the ball about 436 time this year, which is identical to what they did a year ago. That says nothing about the balance, but it does appear that the Steelers are running the ball at an identical pace to a year ago.
    I assume those numbers are correct, and one could have argued over the past couple of years that we were so bad at running the ball that we should pass even more. Until, of course, you reach the point where you can't even run on second-and-1 and the defense is in its nickel coverage. Mr. Rooney's actual complaint was that we couldn't run when we needed to, which was the byproduct of the downward spiral of poor balance. (I actually thought Arians improved the run-pass balance last year, relative to the Super Bowl year, but we still couldn't run when we needed to.)
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Ballard carried the ball 16 times for 72 yards. 1/3 of those yards came on the first drive on 3 carries. Ballard had 52 yards on 7 or 8 carries on the first couple drives. He then got 20 yards on his next 8 carries. So maybe we went away from the run a little bit, but New England really hit the running game hard the next 3 quarters. If we really were going to continue to run well, I would have expected Vick to show more yardage on those 8 carries especially with how pass heavy we were.

We ran the ball alright and we ran it enough. Brady was going to turn this into a shootout regardless. You can never pass too much with a young QB, the more reps the better IMO.

EDIT: In fact on the first INT for a TD, the first play of that drive was a run for 9 yards. Is there a better passing down in football than 2nd and 1? Absolutely not. So no I don't think we could have protected Luck any more than we did with the running game. We even tried to run the ball on our first drive of the second half. It just wasn't working.
    Yeah we did run it okay, but when we were successful in the first, we started to do a lot of play action
    "We want Miami"