Thread: Pacers retooling method

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pacers retooling method

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=buck64q

Pacers get: Hedo, Jefferson,Fournier, a 10m TPE, 1st rd pick 2013 from GS(either theirs or Utah's) 2014 1st rd pick from Denver (via NYKs) and 2017 first from ORL (via LAL)

GS: Granger, AL, 9m TPE

ORL get: Biedrins and cap relief and 2015 2nd rd pick from GS

DEN: David West

basically take on bad contracts for picks. When Hedo and Jefferson are expiring next summer we do the same thing and repeat this process. Try to trade both of them for bad contracts and picks. We also have a 10TPE to do the exact same thing. In a small market like Indy we are never going to lure free agents who are big time FAs so we should just use the money that we would use on FA to gather assets. I have been advocating this since it became apparent our best case scenario would be the Hawks not higher. I would of traded Granger Hibbert and Dunleavy for similar packages a few years ago. Obviously Hibbert and Granger would of netted us a lot more then and would of been smart to start that process then and not now. We obviously aren't going to do this but if I was the GM it was a method I would strongly be for to rebuild a small market team via the draft.

EDIT: and obviously in this scenario Danny has a clean bill of health.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 11-19-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Default Re: Pacers retool

NO! we are 11 games in, we dont need to blow up yet........ smh

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default Re: Pacers retooling method

First off, GS can't trade their pick. It's not a pick swap with Utah, Utah owns GS' 2013 pick outright (well, top 6 protected). There's no other future pick GS can use in this deal, unless you're talking something like 2016 GS pick.

Secondly, Pacers seem to be taking on a lot of money in bad contracts for 4 middling to low picks (counting Fournier). For reference, Cleveland received a lotto pick (that turned into Kyrie Irving) for taking on Baron Davis, who at the time had something like $26m remaining. In contrast, Hedo and RJ have something like $40m remaining. Not to mention giving up productive players in West and Granger.

Also, I'm not clear how a $10m TPE is generated. We send out out $23.1m in salaries and receive $23.3m. Don't really see where a TPE comes in?

I'm fine with the basic strategy actually, but I'd do it as a 2 step process. First, trade vets like Granger and West for prospects/picks and cap relief. Second, use the cap space later on to collect further assets by taking on bad deals. IMO this maximizes the return more than trying to do it all in one deal.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Yea, to get a TPE, Pacers would have to trade say Granger to a team that can absorb his contract and either send out no players or partial value of Grangers salary and the remainder is the TPE to the Pacers. Example: Granger (say 13.5mil) traded to x team for x player with 6mil salary and a 7.5 mil TPE.

I'd like to be more detailed, but I'm on my phone right now.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    First off, GS can't trade their pick. It's not a pick swap with Utah, Utah owns GS' 2013 pick outright (well, top 6 protected). There's no other future pick GS can use in this deal, unless you're talking something like 2016 GS pick.

Secondly, Pacers seem to be taking on a lot of money in bad contracts for 4 middling to low picks (counting Fournier). For reference, Cleveland received a lotto pick (that turned into Kyrie Irving) for taking on Baron Davis, who at the time had something like $26m remaining. In contrast, Hedo and RJ have something like $40m remaining. Not to mention giving up productive players in West and Granger.

Also, I'm not clear how a $10m TPE is generated. We send out out $23.1m in salaries and receive $23.3m. Don't really see where a TPE comes in?

I'm fine with the basic strategy actually, but I'd do it as a 2 step process. First, trade vets like Granger and West for prospects/picks and cap relief. Second, use the cap space later on to collect further assets by taking on bad deals. IMO this maximizes the return more than trying to do it all in one deal.
    The TPE come from Denver who just absorbs West. They have a 14tpe from trading Nene. I believe it would be two separate trades techniquely. I do agree that we could do more and probablly get a Gerald Wallace like package of Granger is healthy plus find the right match. I just used this as an example for the method I would use.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The TPE come from Denver who just absorbs West. They have a 14tpe from trading Nene. I believe it would be two separate trades techniquely. I do agree that we could do more and probablly get a Gerald Wallace like package of Granger is healthy plus find the right match. I just used this as an example for the method I would use.
    The flaw in your deal is there is no TPE cause it would be used immediately to close the trades. There is no tpe for later use you speak of. Can't have 20 go out and 20 come in and keep the TPE too.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."