Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: This team needs to be blown up (OLD thread!! 2012)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: This team needs to be blown up

The only thing I'd be interested in doing trade wise is putting our assets together to trade for a superstar. That's what I want us to do. Blue collar Gold swagger is cool but it will never win you a championship when other teams have 2 and 3 stars on their team and you have none. It just wont happen unfortunately.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    keeping this team intact is only going to get the Pacers as far as the first round
    So, you don't think that this team can repeat last year's performance and possibly expand on it?

PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    So, you don't think that this team can repeat last year's performance and possibly expand on it?
    Nope, this team is barely going to make it to the playoffs, they can't compete with NY,Miami,Brooklyn and Boston, first round exit with or without Danny.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    If granger comes back healthy, the ceiling for this season is a 7th seed in the ECF. This is a step back from last year. We are trending downwards with this group.
    Why the ceiling is the 7th seed? I'd really like you to explain your reasoning.

Sports Logo

Nope, this team is barely going to make it to the playoffs, they can't compete with NY,Miami,Brooklyn and Boston, first round exit with or without Danny.
    They could compete last season. What exactly changed?

Yes, both the Knicks and the Nets improved. But we were significantly better than them last season. There's no reason to believe that once Danny is back we cannot compete against them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Yes, both the Knicks and the Nets improved. But we were significantly better than them last season. There's no reason to believe that once Danny is back we cannot compete against them.
    Don't forget you are talking to people who believe last season was a fluke.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

This thread needs blown up.
    Follow me at @Bluejbgold

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Constellations For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Don't forget you are talking to people who believe last season was a fluke.
    It was a little bit of a fluke, the Pacers had remarkable health the whole season, and the players were together and in good shape, unlike a lot of players and teams.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    It was a little bit of a fluke, the Pacers had remarkable health the whole season, and the players were together and in good shape, unlike a lot of players and teams.
    What do injuries have to do with anything other than win-loss record? They played as well as they did because they were that good. Less injuries might have equaled a few more wins, but I am not judging them based on wins but based on how they played.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Well for one thing the team chemistry and energy changed big time. Count discount that. Better on paper doesn't mean better on the floor. The off-season has been a disaster so far. How many games do we need to give the new players before they start coming around?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    Teams are not supposed to be injured all the time. Yes, injuries do happen but good health is supposed to be the norm when a team's medical staff is not entirely inept.

You can say that it was a fluke that several Eastern teams had serious injuries on some key players. With this, I can agree. But the Pacers' own good health was not a fluke. It's something that's supposed to happen more often than injuries.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

I really don't think so. I would love to be optimistic, but I truly believe that last years team overachieved. You need at least two players that can get the ball and score regardless of the defense. The Pacers have zero. Last season, our "win as a team" strategy paid dividends. I don't know if the rest of the NBA figured us out, or whatever excuse you want me to make. The bottom line is that our overall talent level did not improve since last year. The only player that improved is Lance Stephenson. Basically, our FO gambled that Paul George and Roy Hibbert would take it to the next level, and they lost.
    David "And One" West

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Well for one thing the team chemistry and energy changed big time. Count discount that. Better on paper doesn't mean better on the floor. The off-season has been a disaster so far.
    I agree that we had an amazing chemistry last year. I always loved it and considered it a great part of our success.

But that's not something that we cannot replicate again this year. The starters didn't change. The chemistry is mostly there. That's the point of continuation.

When the bench finds some chemistry then the overall chemistry and energy levels of the team will resemble last year's.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    How many games do we need to give the new players before they start coming around?
    Personally, I'm willing to give them as long as it takes. But that's just me

Banned

No Danny, worse bench, Roy sucking, teams getting better and actually upgrading.

Yes, both the Knicks and the Nets improved. But we were significantly better than them last season.
    People don't want to hear it but NY and Brooklyn had a lot things happening to them last year reason why the Pacers were better than them, Amare out, Melo out of shape and injured, Brook Lopez out, Deron got hurt, coaching changes in NY, etc.

There's no reason to believe that once Danny is back we cannot compete against them.
    There are many reasons to believe that Danny is not coming back this year and even if he does there are many reasons to believe that he is not going to be healthy enough to make a difference, there are also reasons to believe that he is never going to be the same Danny ever again, so hoping for Danny to come back and fix everything is just a dream.

Why the ceiling is the 7th seed? I'd really like you to explain your reasoning.
    I love your optimism, but the reality is that the NBA is a superstar-driven league. We don't have any. What happened last year was not a good blueprint for the future success of the Pacers. Our best player right now is arguably David West, who is probably a top 15-20 player in the east. That's not going to get it done
    David "And One" West

Sports Logo

I really don't think so. I would love to be optimistic, but I truly believe that last years team overachieved.
    There are two ways to approach this issue.

#1 way: This year's team is underachieving.

#2 way: Last year's team was overachieving.

Given that our best player is missing and we have a brand new bench that has still to find any chemistry or rhythm I'm much more inclined towards the 1st option.

It's the most logical assumption imo but in general I'm a glass half full kind of person.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Mood

When our opponents have injuries to key players, it means we couldn't have won otherwise. When we have a key injury, it doesn't matter because with or without it we have the same low ceiling. Of course.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Given that our best player is missing and we have a brand new bench that has still to find any chemistry or rhythm I'm much more inclined towards the 1st option.

It's the most logical assumption imo but in general I'm a glass half full kind of person.
    I really hope you are correct with option 1
    David "And One" West

I love your optimism, but the reality is that the NBA is a superstar-driven league. We don't have any. What happened last year was not a good blueprint for the future success of the Pacers. Our best player right now is arguably David West, who is probably a top 15-20 player in the east. That's not going to get it done
    What happened last year was a young team in its first season together as a complete team showing they had a lot of promise. If we were a veteran team I doubt you see the Heat beat us.

Mood

As for blowing this team up, it's way too soon. Not too soon to imagine how one might do so when the time is right, but speculation only.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned

Teams are not supposed to be injured all the time. Yes, injuries do happen but good health is supposed to be the norm when a team's medical staff is not entirely inept.

You can say that it was a fluke that several Eastern teams had serious injuries on some key players. With this, I can agree. But the Pacers' own good health was not a fluke. It's something that's supposed to happen more often than injuries.
    True but last year was one of those years were multiple stars got hurt opening the door for teams like the Pacers, Philly, Denver, etc, have you noticed that neither one of those teams look as good as they looked in the beginning of last year? it has been reported by many people that in short seasons young teams do pretty well, the same happened in the previous lockout.

Not only that but the Pacers were also doing something that many people didn't have an explanation for, they had a pretty good defense(like this year) and a horrible offense(like this year) and they were still able to win ugly games.

Mood

The logic doesn't even require optimism, really. A team with previous success/talent is struggling while its best player sits and practically everyone else is playing below their mean average. When you consider that, the choice seems pretty obvious, whether you tend to be optimistic, pessimistic, or indifferent.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Anyway, all of the above is my head talking. On an emotional level, when I have to watch some of the garbage ball they've been playing, I feel like I want them to leave the NBA and spare me this evil forever more.

True but last year was one of those years were multiple stars got hurt opening the door for teams like the Pacers, Philly, Denver, etc, have you noticed that neither one of those teams look as good as they looked in the beginning of last year? it has been reported by many people that in short seasons young teams do pretty well, the same happened in the previous lockout.

Not only that but the Pacers were also doing something that many people didn't have an explanation for, they had a pretty good defense(like this year) and a horrible offense(like this year) and they were still able to win ugly games.
    If our offense was as good as it was last year this team would have one of the best records in the league, and we most likely only have 2 or 3 losses.