Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: This team needs to be blown up (OLD thread!! 2012)

Default Re: This team needs to be blown up

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's like we didn't just win a game with our max player finally playing great. Not even a hint of optimism.
    Yeah, 11 games in, Roy has a good game and they barely beat what may be the worse team in the league!

Or maybe that was sarcasm...

This. Herb Simon is a real estate and business man. The majority of owners in the NBA are not hands on basketball guys. They have other businesses to run. Do you think Herb Simon's major income stream comes from the Pacers? IMO, the only restriction he has ever put on his management team is "no LT". Bird said he and Herb had commited to around 64 million for this team. The end results is closer to 69 million iirc. This is and has not been a really restrited ownership especiallly when you own one of the lowest attended teams in the league. If Simon didn't love the Pacers and the City, this team would have been sold years ago. Simon should have sold the team after the 60+ win season when it's value was probably at it's highest. JMHO.

Buying high and selling low is never prudent...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to J7F For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    In spite of you trying to be sarcastic, I don't think anybody is saying that.
    Yes I was being sarcastic & working on my form lol. Yes some people are saying that, hence the reason for my sarcasm.
    Last edited by jtroub8; 11-20-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    I think if we were to trade anyone it should be Paul George. Unfortunately, I think most of us can agree, he doesn't have "it".

Just so you didnt think I was grabbing stuff out of my arse, Ace
    Last edited by jtroub8; 11-20-2012 at 03:03 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jtroub8 For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I so wish we could vote some "fans" off the island and ban them from returning when the team turns things around. I'm not against criticism and I'm often pretty critical myself, but every year we have "blow it up" and "tank away" and a bunch of other 19 year old lost puppy love reactions of "I'll never love again, you don't know my pain".

Some people just need to avoid posting mid-game right when things are sour. Other people just seem beyond hope. The team has come out of the gate clunky, but the players don't look specifically untalented and nearly all of them have played better in prior seasons.

It's been a lot of bad teams, but it's also been MORE ROAD GAMES THAN ANY TEAM has played. So maybe we are misreading some aspects, maybe we are underestimating chemistry issues or the loss of Danny.

The point is that it's insanely too soon to start talking about tearing the whole team apart. Frank is the closest to the hot seat and even he deserves time to figure things out. He's only in trouble if the team goes off into the ditch. They've threatened to do so, but so far they've kept a couple of wheels on the road which means he should continue to have a shot to get things on track.

9. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jtroub8 View Post
    Just so you didnt think I was grabbing stuff out of my arse, Ace
    May the sarcasm continue!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Cleveland and Denver are not a good example because they blew it all up and are doing a pretty good job in rebuilding, those two teams should be in the playoffs this year, not only that but they have good enough young pieces to have a better future that a "non blowing it up" team like the Pacers.
    Cleveland's not going to make the Playoffs this year. They're definitely another year away. They have way too many young players that lack experience to pull out enough close games to finish around .500 - especially with Kyrie breaking his finger yesterday. Denver's done a good job of making lemonade out of lemons but their situation is not anything I'd wish for the Pacers. They definitely aren't contenders.

The point I was making is that even if the lottery balls bounce your way, your team has to first be one of the worst teams in the league, second hope to wind up with superstar instead of a Darko or Marvin Williams, third try to build a team around that superstar to turn the team from a loser to a contender, and finally worry about keeping said superstar player when his contract is up.

That recipe fails more often than it succeeds.

They had to trade all those old guys they had no choice, yes they suck but it has to do more with their front office and owners than anything else, just because a team sucks at drafting high doesn't mean that you are also going to suck at drafting high.
    That's the norm unfortunately. Even the Knicks when they blew up their team by trading Ewing and the Bulls post MJ and Pippen had several runs at the top lottery picks and they had several of their picks blow up in their faces. A lot of the guys they drafted looked like studs and turned out to be straight up duds.

I'm down with the Pacers trading one or maybe even 2 of their players to get a proven scorer added to the roster but I'm not interested in adding a bunch of youngs that might or might not pan out. I'm convinced that you only win a championship with team lead by All-Star veteran players. The draft is a crap shoot and this year's draft looks very iffy. I'd rather try to sign or trade for someone else's All-Star if we're going to make a trade right now. If not, you might as well play this season out and make any necessary changes in the offseason.

Also "Blow It Up" is NOT A PLAN, it's just some jack*** thing to say that doesn't even mean the same thing to everyone that agrees with it. Pacergeek would do one trade, Vnzla would do the opposite, and so on. Almost no one would break it apart and rebuild it the same way, no one would agree on keeping Frank or dumping him, who is replacing him or even which player to draft.

Not to mention that if this team gets it turned around (and maybe they won't) I don't expect too many people agreeing with the blow it up to loudly start threads saying "I sure was stupid about that blowing it up thing".

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Banned

If by "turning things around" you mean from been in the lottery to make it as the 8th or 7th seat then yeah you are right, hopefully next year they bring the same people back because they need another year together to figure things out.

I realize that threads like this tend to be annoying over a long season but I think right now people want to vent & don't really mean blow it all up. If we all were reasonable & patient it would be a very boring forum.

Yes it's to early for this type of actual thinking but it's not to early to be concerned.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    If the Pacers didn't move when Britton Johnson was in the starting lineup, it's not moving now. It's November people. Adjustments will be made and things are likely to change.
    Wait, what?????
    "I mean, you'd walk into our dressing room and run into Mel Daniels holding a .45 -- it makes you wonder."

Bob Netolicky

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewtone For This Useful Post:

That's the norm unfortunately. Even the Knicks when they blew up their team by trading Ewing and the Bulls post MJ and Pippen had several runs at the top lottery picks and they had several of their picks blow up in their faces. A lot of the guys they drafted looked like studs and turned out to be straight up duds.
    Not only that, but the logical fallacy comes from people always recalling anecdotal version of what a great situation those teams were in, and then when it fails they just forget about that part and focus on the new "bad team". And then when someone does win that's also all they focus on.

It's like seeing a Powerball winner and saying "see, it works, that's how you get rich" instead of sitting in the depressing parking lot of a gas station watching lottery loser after lottery loser walk out with dud tickets.

Cap space and Player to be Named Later never won a title. The Pacers cleared cap and got what they wanted - West, a FA that is paying off in spades. They turned one draft pick into a solid starting guard, had 3 great drafts to add Roy, Granger and Paul, doing much better than many teams drafting before them.

Just what is the team going to do with the new picks and cap space they get. Sign another variation of West, draft more Paul's and Danny's. Risk getting Cole Aldrich instead of Roy Hibbert?

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Not only that, but the logical fallacy comes from people always recalling anecdotal version of what a great situation those teams were in, and then when it fails they just forget about that part and focus on the new "bad team". And then when someone does win that's also all they focus on.

It's like seeing a Powerball winner and saying "see, it works, that's how you get rich" instead of sitting in the depressing parking lot of a gas station watching lottery loser after lottery loser walk out with dud tickets.

Cap space and Player to be Named Later never won a title. The Pacers cleared cap and got what they wanted - West, a FA that is paying off in spades. They turned one draft pick into a solid starting guard, had 3 great drafts to add Roy, Granger and Paul, doing much better than many teams drafting before them.

Just what is the team going to do with the new picks and cap space they get. Sign another variation of West, draft more Paul's and Danny's. Risk getting Cole Aldrich instead of Roy Hibbert?
    Aren't you the same person that was talking s*** about Larry's draft? now you are saying that he has been drafting well? I want to know what you are drinking or smoking.........

"The Pacers cleared the cap and got what they wanted"? really? this was the master plan?

And don't worry to get off the high horse to answers my questions either.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 11-20-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Aren't you the same person that was talking s*** about Larry's draft? now you are saying that he has been drafting well? I want to know what you are drinking or smoking.........

"The Pacers cleared the cap and got what they wanted"? really? this was the master plan?

And don't worry to get off of the high horse to answers my questions either.
    And what's your plan? Bottom out and cross our fingers for a number 1 pick and a franchise player? Or are you just going to continue to point out every deficiency or bad move and not offer any alternative?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bunt View Post
    And what's your plan? Bottom out and cross our fingers for a number 1 pick and a franchise player? Or are you just going to continue to point out every deficiency or bad move and not offer any alternative?
    My plan is not to blow it up but use some of the assets the Pacers have to bring pieces that are going to be here for the future when Hill, Roy and Paul George are in their prime, for example letting West expire and get nothing in return is stupid.

I think you can make some trades and still make the playoffs, the point is to build for the future not for the now, keeping this team intact is only going to get the Pacers as far as the first round, what is the point?

Keeping Seth's man crush in "BAMF" and Danny for as long as he want all is going to do is prolong the rebuilding process 3 or 4 years down the road, now if the goal is to be happy just to make it to the playoffs then lets just go ahead and celebrate and I'm sorry for expecting more out of the team.

Is this really what all the waiting around and clearing cap space was for? It was exactly what I was worried about and got flamed for a couple of years ago. Why stand pat and wait out contracts if all you plan on doing with the cap space is resigning your own players.

This team is stuck in the same no mans land that it was 5-6 years ago.

Not good enough to win...Not bad enough to get any real help...Not enough cap room to make any quick fixes.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to aaronb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I realize that threads like this tend to be annoying over a long season but I think right now people want to vent & don't really mean blow it all up. If we all were reasonable & patient it would be a very boring forum.

Yes it's to early for this type of actual thinking but it's not to early to be concerned.
    When the hell did you become Mr. Reasonable.

Keeping Seth's man crush in "BAMF" and Danny for as long as he want all is going to do is prolong the rebuilding process 3 or 4 years down the road,
    But BAMF is what you try to get to complete a rebuild, which is what they just got done doing last season. There is no process to prolong because the rebuild is over. This is the era of tweeking OR the era in which Bird's rebuild turns out to be horrible - ie, when Larry walked away they had the 5 starters he assembled plus Lance, Tyler and Plumlee, his guys and the end of the 3 year plan.

Now just a couple of months later it's time to start the rebuild? So each rebuild gets a month to evaluate and then you tear it apart again and start a new 3 year plan? It's such bunk, it sounds like NBA2K thinking where you can make a million deals per hour and hit reset when you don't like it.

It's like moving Mark Jackson for Jalen Rose to fix the broken team that lost in round 1 the year before (when Reggie missed 4 games with a busted eye). That worked out great. By the end of the year Brown was fired and Jax was already brought back in a trade...and then they went on another 3 year tear that proved that they in fact did not need to be blown up in the least.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 11-20-2012 at 05:03 PM.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

And don't worry to get off the high horse to answers my questions either.
    What I'm saying is either this isn't time to rebuild or people are saying Larry F'd it all up. Maybe your stance is that Larry built a crap team.

Granger at 17, Roy at 17 and Paul at 10 were all good picks. West was perhaps the best FA signed when you look at dollars vs production and intangibles. Hill was a smart trade when you didn't need Leonard due to Paul. Roy was coming off an AS season and half of PD said it was obvious that you bring him back and another 30% were saying "it's close but maybe you gotta do it despite the risk".

I mean what was the offseason going to be? Hibbert walks and they pay Kaman? After seeing Dallas, no thanks, and I had interest at the time. Overpay some lesser center, maybe make Mahinmi the cheap starter.

It's time to dance with who we brought, even if it's starting rough. It's just so incredibly knee-jerk, and this is coming from someone that finds the offense unwatchable at times.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 11-20-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Banned

When the hell did you become Mr. Reasonable.

But BAMF is what you try to get to complete a rebuild, which is what they just got done doing last season. There is no process to prolong because the rebuild is over. This is the era of tweeking OR the era in which Bird's rebuild turns out to be horrible - ie, when Larry walked away they had the 5 starters he assembled plus Lance, Tyler and Plumlee, his guys and the end of the 3 year plan.

Now just a couple of months later it's time to start the rebuild? So each rebuild gets a month to evaluate and then you tear it apart again and start a new 3 year plan? It's such bunk, it sounds like NBA2K thinking where you can make a million deals per hour and hit reset when you don't like it.

It's like moving Mark Jackson for Jalen Rose to fix the broken team that lost in round 1 the year before (when Reggie missed 4 games with a busted eye). That worked out great. By the end of the year Brown was fired and Jax was already brought back in a trade...and then they went on another 3 year tear that proved that they in fact did not need to be blown up in the least.
    If you think the rebuild is complete I don't know what to tell you.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

My plan is not to blow it up but use some of the assets the Pacers have to bring pieces that are going to be here for the future when Hill, Roy and Paul George are in their prime, for example letting West expire and get nothing in return is stupid.

I think you can make some trades and still make the playoffs, the point is to build for the future not for the now, keeping this team intact is only going to get the Pacers as far as the first round, what is the point?
    That makes sense and that is not the same as blowing the team up. Props for spelling that out and clearing up what you mean.

I have no idea what you could get for David though. I'm not opposed to the idea later on in the season closer to the trade deadline but you know that the player you get in return is probably going to be 50-75% as good as David West. I guess draft picks would be more or less the best part of the deal if you're building for the future. It's hard to get excited about that.

Banned

What I'm saying is either this isn't time to rebuild or people are saying Larry F'd it all up. Maybe your stance is that Larry built a crap team.
    I think he build a team of mediocre players.

Granger at 17, Roy at 17 and Paul at 10 were all good picks. West was perhaps the best FA signed when you look at dollars vs production and intangibles. Hill was a smart trade when you didn't need Leonard due to Paul. Roy was coming off an AS season and half of PD said it was obvious that you bring him back and another 30% were saying "it's close but maybe you gotta do it despite the risk".
    Yes I was happy with the Hill trade, I don't like his contract but I can live with it, Hill, Roy and Paul George are the only players I would keep if I was the Pacers.

I mean what was the offseason going to be? Hibbert walks and they pay Kaman? After seeing Dallas, no thanks, and I had interest at the time. Overpay some lesser center, maybe make Mahinmi the cheap starter.
    Kaman was not the answer, as a backup? yes, as an starter? nope.

It's time to dance with who we brought, even if it's starting rough. It's just so incredibly knee-jerk, and this is coming from someone that finds the offense unwatchable at times.
    Well there is no option but to watch this crappy team play, their options are limited because they decided to spend all their money in two of their players plus a bunch of scrubs with two of them getting long term contracts.

In reality the only assets they have are West and Paul George, and the more this team sucks the bigger chance there is for your man crush to sign somewhere else and then once again the Pacers lose a player for nothing, unless they make a deal with a team for a second round or something.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    That makes sense and that is not the same as blowing the team up. Props for spelling that out and clearing up what you mean.

I have no idea what you could get for David though. I'm not opposed to the idea later on in the season closer to the trade deadline but you know that the player you get in return is probably going to be 50-75% as good as David West. I guess draft picks would be more or less the best part of the deal if you're building for the future. It's hard to get excited about that.
    I think you can get some packages for West from contending teams, here are some EXAMPLES:

West+ Ian to OKC for Perkins+ Lamb+ pick.

West+Ian to Boston for Bass+ Sullinger+pick.

West+ Green to Brooklyn for Brooks+ Humpries.

West+ Green to Orlando for Big Baby+ Redick.

West+ Ian+ pick to GS for David Lee+ Jarret Jack

West to Houston for Morris+pick.

West+ Ian to SA for Splitter+ Blair

This are some examples by looking at other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post

I really do want the team blown up. Take the emotional attachment we have to our current players out of the equation. The rebuild makes sense. If granger comes back healthy, the ceiling for this season is a 7th seed in the ECF. This is a step back from last year. We are trending downwards with this group.
    David "And One" West

Mood

I just find it amusing that people say we should blow it up after a small picture of games without our best player. Heck we lost several games right at the end that we should have won. If we can stay around .500 until Danny returns I think we will be ok.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post: