Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: This team needs to be blown up (OLD thread!! 2012)

Banned

Default Re: This team needs to be blown up

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you are the Great Carnac of NBA prognostication. when's the last time you were wrong? or is it always "well...I said so...once upon a time..because I said I said so...."

I've spent a ton of time on message boards, you're the single most negative "fan" I've ever seen, bay far
    I don't know why are you going all crazy on me? forgot to eat your cereal or something? back off, I'm trying to have a good discussion here.

And yes I've been saying that Danny is like Rashard Lewis forever but for some reason people tought I was trashing him, so get your facts straight before you reply.

Edit: if you want to be proven wrong go ahead and ask majorcold I had many arguments with him regarding this.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 11-21-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    forgot to eat your cereal or something?
    It's hard to eat cereals when you keep pissing on them

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

I don't know why are you going all crazy on me? forgot to eat your cereal or something? back off, I'm trying to have a good discussion here.

And yes I've been saying that Danny is like Rashard Lewis forever but for some reason people tought I was trashing him, so get your facts straight before you reply.

Edit: if you want to be proven wrong go ahead and ask majorcold I had many arguments with him regarding this.
    I don't care, every single post you make is negative. I'm being serious, do you find no joy in watching basketball? You are the most negative message board personality I've ever seen.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Now of course when Danny returns riding the white horse and takes us to the second round from the 7th or 8th position & everyone has to finally bow to him (this is also for the benefit of you know who) we can pretend like this has just been a bad dream.
    Well, no, if this happens and we go out in the second round there will be cries to blow it up because we're "only" the Atlanta Hawks and getting to the second round two years in a row is proof we're not good enough.

Remember, Championship or abject suckage failure. No middle ground.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

RLeWorm

anybody else watching first take right now? Stephen A. said that Pau Gasol might be available. He said something along the lines like, "Don't be surprised if the Lakers are taking calls about Pau Gasol". We could send em West who would still be a good fit with Howard, and they would probably want someone else for their bench. Don't know who we would give up though(all of our bench players suck lol).

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RLeWorm View Post
    We could send em West who would still be a good fit with Howard
    He wouldn't be a good fit with Howard. He would clog the lane just as much as Pau does.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    In the end, it's still basketball. The NBA can be as much of a superstar-driven league as it wants. In the end the best team wins.

Miami wouldn't win last year if their role players didn't hit their open shots. It was LeBron and Wade that lead them to the championship but even them couldn't do it alone. They needed that contribution by the rest of their team because basketball is a team game.
    Miami played outstanding team defense. Offensively, it was only Wade and James. Superstars win championships. What makes that series painful, is that they beat us missing their 3rd superstar Bosh. That series was there for the taking, but we simply lacked the talent to get it done
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Well, no, if this happens and we go out in the second round there will be cries to blow it up because we're "only" the Atlanta Hawks and getting to the second round two years in a row is proof we're not good enough.

Not sure why anybody would be happy with another second round playoff exit. We, as fans, should have higher expectations
    David "And One" West

anybody else watching first take right now? Stephen A. said that Pau Gasol might be available. He said something along the lines like, "Don't be surprised if the Lakers are taking calls about Pau Gasol". We could send em West who would still be a good fit with Howard, and they would probably want someone else for their bench. Don't know who we would give up though(all of our bench players suck lol).
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a25l22j

Pacer get:
    Josh Smith

Lakers get:
    David West
    Kyle Korver

Hawks get:
    Paul Gasol
    Pendergraph (more of a throw in to make the trade work)

I'm sure there could be picks involved too, but I think this could be a very nice trade for all parties.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

There has been a rumor earlier this week that Atlanta turned down a Pau/Josh Smith swap. I'll see if I can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Not sure why anybody would be happy with another second round playoff exit. We, as fans, should have higher expectations
    I rest my case.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

You have to take it in the context of which I said it. I said if we suck now but can stay within striking distance of the playoffs and then Danny returns we not only make the playoffs but go to the next round (meaning we beat a higher seed).

You wouldn't call that a success?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

And then Pau would come here and sulk because Indianapolis doesn't have enough "culture" for him.

Pass.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a25l22j

Pacer get:
    Josh Smith

Lakers get:
    David West
    Kyle Korver

Hawks get:
    Paul Gasol
    Pendergraph (more of a throw in to make the trade work)

I'm sure there could be picks involved too, but I think this could be a very nice trade for all parties.
    Idk why the Lakers would want West outside of the fact he has a yr left on his deal. They need a more athletic 4 that can stretch the floor a bit more in order to fit D'Antoni's system, not a smaller, slower PF like West.

I'm sure if they turned down J. Smith for Pau, they'd laugh at the idea of West.

The trade works big time for the Hawks though lol

"Expectations"? Probably not.

"Hopes"? Certainly.

Considering only 4 teams out of 3 get to the conference finals every year, for fans of most teams to expect that level every year and be unhappy unless they reach it seems like masochism. Why indulge in a pastime that has an 87% chance of leaving you unsatisfied at any given time?

I'm happy if they have a chance, unhappy if they blow an obvious opportunity, but satisfied if they play to their potential and improve. I don't hang it on winning and only winning, there are too many things outside anyone's control that can affect that.

I believe the GOAL is a championship, but to set only the highest goal as success and rank everything else as failure is a recipe for an unhappy life. We have to take the small successes as well as the big ones.
    BillS

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I don't care, every single post you make is negative. I'm being serious, do you find no joy in watching basketball? You are the most negative message board personality I've ever seen.
    So I'm negative because I'm saying that Danny is like Rashard Lewis? are you serious? I wasn't even talking to you anyway, you need a hug or something?

My question is, would Danny actually be allowed to ride a white horse by the NBA? Perhaps we can expedite his recovery process.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

So I'm negative because I'm saying that Danny is like Rashard Lewis? are you serious? I wasn't even talking to you anyway, you need a hug or something?
    C'mon man do you really deny that you are really negative a lot of the time? It's fine and all, but it cracks me up when you get all bent out of shape about it. You should embrace your negativity like TMJ embraces his super sunshineyness.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    My question is, would Danny actually be allowed to ride a white horse by the NBA? Perhaps we can expedite his recovery process.
    He should try to come back dress up as Batman and in his Batmobile, that would be cool.

He should try to come back dress up as Batman and in his Batmobile, that would be cool.

I was just thinking, if you're riding on a white horse, you don't even need knees!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

You can have high expectations but this team does not have the superstars needed to go deeper into the playoffs. I predicted a first round exit before the season started and a slip to the 5th or 6th seed in the East. The Pacers did not do anything to improve their starting lineup although I am quite sure that they never drank the koolaid that insisted they already had the best starting unit in the NBA. Look at the entire NBA history of this team. One finals appearance and, I think, two ECF appearances. What makes you think they are going to get there now? Look back at some of the predictions for this team this year and you will see how out of whack, the fans expectations are. That said, this team does not need to be blown up, that takes years of rebuilding to fix and the fan base is already terribly small. It would be much better to try and make a deal to add a really good player to this current team and keep working on getting those fans back...

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I love your optimism, but the reality is that the NBA is a superstar-driven league.
    This is a self-fulfilling prophecy. When you win you are then viewed as a superstar, and when you don't win it's always counted against you even if you are a superstar.

Paul Pierce saw his status rise dramatically just by being a top scorer on the Celtics title team, and even KG and Ray Allen saw improvements in how they were viewed. But KG had better years and looked sharper while in Minny failing to win it all.

Barkley and Reggie were on the flipside always having to justify their status.

If the Pacers last year had won it all then people would think of West, Danny and maybe Roy as great. Keep in mind that to win it all they would have had to have more games like the ones where they beat Miami, so now you have more times on TV scoring points, more times being shown as the winner, more times having your image redefined by the media.

Same guys, different view. And suddenly everyone says "we gotta follow the Indiana model to draft well and home-grow the superstars" or "first Detroit and now Indiana have proven that it's a different era". I know this is true because it's how all sports are reported and viewed.

Whatever works is what is defined as great, even if 5 other teams have the same thing and flopped. And this definitely applies to "must have a superstar" because every season tons of all-stars and Dream Team types go home empty handed and no one says "time to throw that model away because it failed".

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This is a self-fulfilling prophecy. When you win you are then viewed as a superstar, and when you don't win it's always counted against you even if you are a superstar.

Paul Pierce saw his status rise dramatically just by being a top scorer on the Celtics title team, and even KG and Ray Allen saw improvements in how they were viewed. But KG had better years and looked sharper while in Minny failing to win it all.

Barkley and Reggie were on the flipside always having to justify their status.

If the Pacers last year had won it all then people would think of West, Danny and maybe Roy as great. Keep in mind that to win it all they would have had to have more games like the ones where they beat Miami, so now you have more times on TV scoring points, more times being shown as the winner, more times having your image redefined by the media.

Same guys, different view. And suddenly everyone says "we gotta follow the Indiana model to draft well and home-grow the superstars" or "first Detroit and now Indiana have proven that it's a different era". I know this is true because it's how all sports are reported and viewed.

Whatever works is what is defined as great, even if 5 other teams have the same thing and flopped. And this definitely applies to "must have a superstar" because every season tons of all-stars and Dream Team types go home empty handed and no one says "time to throw that model away because it failed".
    It's a chicken or an egg thing, I get what you're saying, winning can make you a super star.

But maybe superstars just win?

Dunno, it's tough for me to not agree with the superstar folks after last year, not saying you can't win a title with a TEAM, just saying it's a lot harder when you hit the playoffs.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post

This is why I must sit in the front row or I don't watch the game at all. I don't get why so many fans here settle for 2nd rate viewing situations. Perennial losers I guess.