Thread: Bill Ingram "part of Roy's issues is the absence of Darren Collison"(updated with more info)

Banned

Default Bill Ingram "part of Roy's issues is the absence of Darren Collison"(updated with more info)

@TheRocketGuy: A source familiar with the situation in Indy told me earlier today that part of Hibbert's issue is the absence of Darren Collison.

@TheRocketGuy: Collison and Hibbert were very close, both on and off the court . . .
    Last edited by vnzla81; 11-16-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bill Ingram "part of Roy's issues is the absence of Darren Collison"

It sucks to lose someone your close with, but this is a business, and you have to move on.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bill Ingram "part of Roy's issues is the absence of Darren Collison"

Boohoo? You're getting paid max millions of dollars, and at the end of the day the NBA is a business. If he misses him that much, skype with him after practice.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Why would that be an issue? Having Collison here wouldn't make Hibbert play better, unless you believe he would be able to get him the ball where Hibbert needs it.

Mood

Hmmmm. Interesting. I'll buy that he misses him off the court, but I don't think DC's game did all that much for Roy on the court. It's not as if Darren is a superb interior passer.

Getting paid millions of dollars does not mean a person is less prone to basic human emotions. For me, the money involved is largely irrelevant. It's about commitment to team and personal excellence - those are the important reasons why he has to move on.

That said, yes - if missing DC is really effecting his play, he will have to get over it eventually, and I am sure he will. If Hibberts' season ends up being a major disappointment, I doubt that pining for DC will be the main reason.
    Last edited by gummy; 11-09-2012 at 07:52 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

one word. pathetic.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xtacy For This Useful Post:

Yeah, no

im not buying that
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Getting paid millions of dollars does not mean a person is less prone to basic human emotions.
    This should be permanently written along the top of Pacers Digest, right under the PD banner.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Wasn't it Roy that hinted that Augustin was better than Collison not long ago?

15. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

I'm going to question TheRocketGuy's source.... Not buying what he's selling!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

DC ain't missing Hibbert.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Bill Ingram is the "reporter" who said the Mayo to Indy deal was done. Poopsworld.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

I think that source is full of BS. I'm 100% Roy is more mature than that. He wouldnt let that stuff effect his game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Wasn't it Roy that hinted that Augustin was better than Collison not long ago?
    I really thought the comment was an equal opportunity offender - disparaging both Collison and Hill - at the time, because he said something along the lines of "it's good to have a real point guard on the team" or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Why would that be an issue? Having Collison here wouldn't make Hibbert play better, unless you believe he would be able to get him the ball where Hibbert needs it.
    Well, there's something to that, even if the source is BS. People generally underestimate how dependent even a good center is on good PG play. Getting the ball to the center in good position is probably one of the hardest things to do, which is why so few really true centers are any good unless they're guys like Akeem or David Robinson or Shaq who can make a lot happen on their own. Roy is... not one of those guys.

Now, I agree that Collison isn't a great entry passer or anything, but he was the best Roy has played with and they'd established some continuity. I see room for upside and some hope in the Roy quote about Augustin that they could improve things as they get more time together. Well, obviously there's room for upside, since things have been downright bad so far. That being said, Augustin's ceiling doesn't seem to be much higher than what Collison was already doing.

So... yeah. I think if we really want to make things work with Roy, we need a guy who's really a top notch PG and not a decent but unspectacular PG.

Banned

Some people need to give the guy and apology(Bill)

@TheRocketGuy: NBA PM: The Heart Of Roy Hibbert’s Struggles | HOOPSWORLD | Basketball News & NBA Rumors http://t.co/nd8LcFU8 via @HOOPSWORLD

One of the evolving stories around the NBA early in the new season has been the struggling Indiana Pacers. Sure, Danny Granger is out, but there is still enough talent on that roster to keep them in the discussion as one of the Eastern Conference’s top teams, yet they sit at 3-6 on the season going into tonight’s game against the Dallas Mavericks.

The biggest reason why the Pacers are off to such a slow start might be the sluggish start by All-Star center Roy Hibbert, who inked a huge deal to stay with the team long-term this summer but is averaging just 8.2 points and 7.9 rebounds per contest while shooting 39 percent from the field. Last season Hibbert averaged career-bests of 12.8 points and 8.8 rebounds on 50 percent shooting, and this year’s numbers more closely reflect his rookie season stats.

One source with knowledge of the situation told HOOPSWORLD recently that Hibbert’s slow start is not a big surprise, as former Pacers point guard Darren Collison had a lot to do with Hibbert’s success last season, and Collison is now playing for the Mavericks following an offseason trade.

“Darren was my good friend,” Hibbert tells HOOPSWORLD. “We talked, sat together on the plane, used to go have dinner on the road, lunch, always watching film together, just talking it through. I’d be frustrated at him at times and he’d be frustrated with me, but we’d talk it through. I used to get a lot of open layups, just him throwing the ball to me and the give-n-go cut. That’s something he’d get once or twice a game, but things change and obviously you have to adjust.”

“Roy was my guy, he was my best friend,” acknowledges Collison. “We had dreams of playing in Indiana for a long time and really trying to build that franchise into something special and we did the last two years. It’s a memory that I won’t ever forget, especially playing with Roy.”

The reality, of course, is that the modern NBA is a league of change. Few players have the luxury of spending their entire careers with the same teams, let alone the same teammates. Collison is confident that Hibbert will figure it out.

“It’s tough on him, he’s going through his struggles, but Roy is an All-Star player,” says Collison. “Every player struggles, but he’s a guy who can get his way throughout the season and make something happen for himself.”

“Yeah, we’re trying to figure things out,” agrees Hibbert. “I’m trying to figure things out as well. I’m not playing at the best of my ability, but I’m not going to get too down on myself right now, I just got to work through it. Just putting in a little more work than I have been, I mean, then I normally would in practice, just watch more film. I think I just need to relax a little bit and take my time when I’m out there on the court.”

At the same time, Hibbert is guarding against his own tendency to put too much pressure on himself.

“I’ve been one to over think some things, and I’ve been one to get down on myself to the point of depression before, but I’m not like that now,” says Hibbert. “I know, as a player, that I’m going to have my ups and downs. You always, at some point, have bad stretches during the season. It’s unfortunate that I’m in one right now, but hopefully I can get out of it and help my team win.”

Still, one thing that isn’t easily replaced is great chemistry, which Collison says is one of the most precious commodities.

“It’s extremely important; chemistry is probably one of the biggest things in the NBA,” says Collison, who returns to Indiana to start against his former team and his best friend tonight. “It’s actually underrated in the NBA, but if you look at the teams that win, they have chemistry not only on the court but off the court.”

As hard as it was for Hibbert to watch his friend leave, he also appreciates the opportunity the Mavericks were set to give Collison.

“The situation was bittersweet,” admits Hibbert. “I wanted him around, but I know he’s a starting caliber point guard so he has a chance to really get some minutes. I really want what’s best for him and his family, but at the same time I lost a friend. I just really hope he finds a home with a team that really appreciates him. I’m not saying we didn’t appreciate him, but I think [Rick] Carlisle cut out a real good deal for himself in Dallas.”

As for Hibbert and the Pacers, there is a very real sense of urgency to right the ship and start getting some wins.

“We don’t want to say, ‘it’s only a few games in, it’s early, it’s early,’ then that kind of steamrolls. We want to fix the problem now and try not to lose anymore games.”

As fate would have it, for the Pacers to end their current two-game losing streak they will have to do it by beating their former floor leader… and Roy Hibbert’s best friend.
    @TheRocketGuy: NBA PM: The Heart Of Roy Hibbert’s Struggles | HOOPSWORLD | Basketball News & NBA Rumors http://t.co/nd8LcFU8 via @HOOPSWORLD

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Some people need to give the guy and apology(Bill)

The loss of Collison hurts more because his replacement is faaaar from living up to his hype and potential than anything else...

And I am glad to hear straight from Roy that he isn't getting too down on himself... Because, as someone that has battled depression myself, I know you have to attack the bad thoughts with common sense thinking... And he is right... Players go through tough stretches at times... Roy is just hitting it out of the gates... I've still got hope that he'll swing back around...
    Last edited by J7F; 11-16-2012 at 07:04 PM.
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bill Ingram "part of Roy's issues is the absence of Darren Collison"(updated with more info)

If he wants to be with him so bad then they can have him Hibbert and Young for Kaman and Mayo (Mayo has been beast this year).

30. The Following User Says Thank You to GeniusJMG For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Bill Ingram "part of Roy's issues is the absence of Darren Collison"(updated with more info)

Quote Originally Posted by GeniusJMG View Post
    If he wants to be with him so bad then they can have him Hibbert and Young for Kaman and Mayo (Mayo has been beast this year).
    I so hope Roy does break out of his funk against Caveman tonight...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

I still don't see what this has to do with Roy's struggles. Roy plays a lot better with George Hill, and like Shade said, hinted that DJ was better than Collison. Maybe he's affected by not having Darren around, but that's probably #15 on Roy's mental list.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Roy plays a lot better with George Hill
    Eh, I'm not so sure. Hill is a better entry passer but I think that he benefited Granger and George a lot more than Hibbert and Hill. DC, on the other hand, seemed to have better chemistry with Roy and David than our wings.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

DC will be a free agent next year right, so its not out of the real of possibility we couldnt make an offer
    Sittin on top of the world!