Thread: So my ankle pops, a lot

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default So my ankle pops, a lot

Doesn't matter if it's after a completely sedentary day, or a Saturday after playing a couple hours of pickup ball. But the back of my ankle pops pretty often, probably 5/6 times a day. It's always right at the base of my Achilles', I know it's not the tendon because tendons don't do that and certainly not painlessly. There's absolutely no pain at all, and it's not like popping your knuckles where you feel a pressure release, it's just a loud CRACK. No pain before, during, or after. It happens in both ankles but probably 80% of the time it's in my left one. It's been happening for probably 6/7 months.

Anyone ever had this? Know a possible reason? Is it a cause for concern?

Default Re: So my ankle pops, a lot

I talked to my doctor about this. In college, I injured my ankle pretty badly. I swelled up pretty big and was black and blue from my toes all the way up to my knee. Never got it checked out cause I was scared shitless. I could move my toes, so I figured nothing was broken and that I could survive. First week was hell, man. While my ankle doesn't pop constantly, it does pop a few times a day and they are loud cracks and kinda hurt.

Anywho, a month ago, I decided to get it checked out. I mean, I'm an adult and I am paying for insurance. Went to a podiatrist(sp), and they said it's nothing bad. She said it could be one of two things. One, it's the joint and works like any other joint where it acclimates air and when it escapes it makes a popping noise. The other one is that a tendon(she may have said something else other than tendon) didn't heal right and what you are experiencing is the tendon moving out of place and popping back into place...usually with a crack sound. This is what I have too. Mine makes a cracking noise too. My is just below my outside ankle on the left foot. Shouldn't be anything to worry about though.

And because I have had an injury to a joint, I am prone to it being more sensitive to changes in weather and the ankle can ache.

That's what I got man. It may not be a tendon, like I said, cause it was a month ago, and she said not to worry, so I kinda forgot about it. I'd rec going to a podiatrist and getting it checked out.
    Last edited by Sparhawk; 11-17-2012 at 08:03 AM.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have this in my right knee and both of my ankles. All I've which I've either sprained pretty severely or in the case of my knee nearly dislocated, Doc always tells me it is nothing to worry about so I have't really looked into it at all outside of that. My knees and ankles have both had x-rays and my knee had an MRI in the past year so if there was anything to severe I figure it would have popped up. Just a case of living an active life and suffering some bumps from it I think. Sometimes mine cause me pain and usually just resting it for a day or icing down takes care of it, but that doesn't sound like an issue for you at the moment.

Oddly enough this post has made me want to go play some ball since it is pretty nice out today.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have this in my right knee and both of my ankles. All I've which I've either sprained pretty severely or in the case of my knee nearly dislocated, Doc always tells me it is nothing to worry about so I have't really looked into it at all outside of that. My knees and ankles have both had x-rays and my knee had an MRI in the past year so if there was anything to severe I figure it would have popped up. Just a case of living an active life and suffering some bumps from it I think. Sometimes mine cause me pain and usually just resting it for a day or icing down takes care of it, but that doesn't sound like an issue for you at the moment.

Oddly enough this post has made me want to go play some ball since it is pretty nice out today.
    I miss playing some basketball. My wife and I are looking to buy a house soon. When we eventually find one, I will definitely put up a basketball goal.

Now really free Lance!

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

I did sprain my left one pretty badly playing some pickup at a buddy's wedding reception back in May or so, it was like grapefruit sized the next morning and really nasty looking. I think I'm gonna call the doc on Monday and set up an appointment just to get it checked out. Like I said it doesn't hurt but it's loud as hell, don't want the next big pop to be the one where my Achilles freakin rolls up my calf.

Also, all you kids out there, let this be a lesson to you. If there's multiple kegs, an open bar, and you're rocking wingtips, do not play basketball no matter how much that idiot you went to high school with talks trash.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Also, what can help is stretching your foot and legs regularly.

Now really free Lance!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also, what can help is stretching your foot and legs regularly.
    Yeah I stretch out my calf/achilles on the edge of stairs a few times a day if they are feeling tight.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods