Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44

Thread: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

  1. #1
    How u imawhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    B-town
    Posts
    4,997

    Default Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    Did anyone else catch this on Twitter, directly from David Harrison? That's pretty shocking, if true.

  2. #2
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    5,665

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    I saw that and laughed. It wouldn't have surprised me a bit to be true, seeing as Jim was a complete assclown and all.
    No wonder he wouldn't talk to the media today....
    On a side note, I find David Harrison's Twitter to be oddly informative.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  3. #3
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,628

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw that and laughed. It wouldn't have surprised me a bit to be true, seeing as Jim was a complete assclown and all.
    No wonder he wouldn't talk to the media today....
    On a side note, I find David Harrison's Twitter to be oddly informative.
    You can't tell much from a twitter feed, but he really does seem like he's done a lot of growing up, good for him.

    Anyway, far as the thread topic, probably. No reason for Harrison to lie, hell if he's trying to get back into the NBA there's plenty of reasons to never say it. Just the 183738957th piece of evidence that JOB's a turd.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    On the Vogel Wagon gummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,908
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    Not so shocking really - at least not in the sense of it being surprising.

    Sports are still rife with expressions of homophobia - it comes as part and parcel of the machismo.

    Not disagreeing that JOB is a turd though.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

    "Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

    Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Crawfordsville, IN
    Posts
    2,497

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    I'm just wondering in what situations he called him a homo.

  8. #6
    Member D0NT SH0OT ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Secret
    Posts
    455

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm just wondering in what situations he called him a homo.
    Probably every time he appeared in the game film. I'd assume it would happen similar to this:

    "Watch Mike here guys, because everything he is doing is correct. See how he barely uses any energy while playing defense? That's exactly what we all need to do, because if we do that we can then quickly run down the court and jack up a contested three pointer. Now on this next play, watch David be a homo. Don't do anything that he is doing, because we don't need any more homos. We need more Mike Dunleavys. Just remember, Mike = Basketball God, David = Homo."

  9. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to D0NT SH0OT ME For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  10. #7
    future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    10,628

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm just wondering in what situations he called him a homo.
    why? it would make him less of a dbag if it was when he was boxing out or something?

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    7,984

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    Crazy guy tweets about Ahole guy, hard to say what true.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,994

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    So maybe Jim called David a name because he didn't like how he did something.

    Whats the big deal in that?

    After all isn't that why some of you are calling Jim names . . . . . . because you didn't like how he coached?

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,879

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After all isn't that why some of you are calling Jim names . . . . . . because you didn't like how he coached?

    I suspect no one on here knows Jim Obrien personally nor D Harrison. I think the name calling should be dropped period.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:


  18. #11
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,603

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    Better then a Douche Bag!
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  19. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I suspect no one on here knows Jim Obrien personally nor D Harrison. I think the name calling should be dropped period.
    I don't think you need to know somebody to call them an a**.

  20. #13
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,603

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I suspect no one on here knows Jim Obrien personally nor D Harrison. I think the name calling should be dropped period.
    Yea, so we shouldn't call MWP a nut case either! Actions and interviews just aren't enough info to suspect a mans character!
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:


  22. #14

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So maybe Jim called David a name because he didn't like how he did something.

    Whats the big deal in that?

    After all isn't that why some of you are calling Jim names . . . . . . because you didn't like how he coached?
    I see your point, and it is a good one. You will never catch me calling any player or coach on any teams names (or any human being, period).

    However, the specific issue is the word used. Even those whose throw stones in the glass house that is name calling are allowed to take issue with the use of an anti-gay slur.

  23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:


  24. #15
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,994

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    However, the specific issue is the word used. Even those whose throw stones in the glass house that is name calling are allowed to take issue with the use of an anti-gay slur.
    I don't think the gay slur is the issue at all with most posters. I think the issue is peoples dislike of Job.

  25. #16
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,336

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    If it was actually such a problem to him, you would think this would have come up about 5 years ago.

  26. #17
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,613

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So maybe Jim called David a name because he didn't like how he did something.

    Whats the big deal in that?

    After all isn't that why some of you are calling Jim names . . . . . . because you didn't like how he coached?
    Nope. We hate him because of how he interacted with what appeared to be pretty decent guys in a completely d***head manner. He's being judged by his "F that guy's effort, he's not really that good" comments, not by his massive incompetence as a coach.

    Don't believe me? Look at the comments about Vogel with the slow start. NO ONE CALLS VOGEL A D-BAG, even with the poor play. Seems to me most people that are worried about Vogel's skill level still like him and want him to succeed.


    Calling a jerk a jerk is like calling a fireman a fireman. I strongly suspect Harrison is not in fact gay and that JOB was not saying "David, because you date men you are a homosexual". It's pretty much not the same thing in any shape at all.

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  28. #18
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,613

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yea, so we shouldn't call MWP a nut case either! Actions and interviews just aren't enough info to suspect a mans character!
    Yep. And for that matter we should also stop saying that Roy's a good kid, that Andrew Luck seems nice, that Vogel is a very positive person, etc. We definitely need to stop handing out character awards to people who aren't direct family or very close friends. Who really knows if Mark Jackson was a good guy? Just from some interviews? We just can't really know.




    So frustrating. JOB has had many opportunities to shape his PUBLIC PERSONA. I'm not out there feeding him quotes to give to the public, nor am I telling players what to say. Yes, we COULD BE WRONG, but that's true in every POSITIVE image too. At some point you must judge on the limited evidence you have, and frankly I've yet to see much of anything in the way of "JOB was sure a good guy to me."

    Freaking Jack and Rick fought like dogs during games, and yet Jack talks up Rick with tons of positives. Ron even was positive about Rick in the long run. Where is the McRoberts quote of "really JOB was right to insult my game and keep me on the bench, I kinda sucked and deserved to be put in my place"? JOB trashed the idea of Roy's improvement; Carlisle praised Artest's defense to the point that other coaches got ticked off by Rick's statistical campaign to win Ron DPOY....ie, just a tad bit supportive of a player that gave him every reason to not be.

  29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  30. #19
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    31,961

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    Who was more of a jerk to the players? Jim O'Brien or Larry brown? I don't know, but I've heard worse about Brown. But brown gets a pass because he's a better coach.

    overall I think this is a non-issue. But if you want to know all the names NBA coaches call players, it would be. Very long list. And a lot saltier than what is being discussed here

  31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  32. #20
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Larry and Frank -- Birds of a Feather!
    Posts
    3,430
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    It had to be a big misunderstanding, right?

    Perhaps the esteemed and highly intelligent coach O'Brien was paying Mr. Harrison a compliment, referring to his tremendous strength being similar to those who came before us on the evolutionary tree.

    Maybe after hearing the words "David, you went after that rebound with the strength and drive of Homo erectus, great job!", the exceptionally attentive and obviously clearminded Mr. Harrison simply failed to make the connection, and mistakenly assumed that both Homo and erectus were somehow unflattering references to his sexual preferences. Then when referencing it on Twitter, for the sake of brevity due to the shortage of available characters, David chose to omit "erectus" because he thought it simply was redundant and therefore irrelevant.

  33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:


  34. #21

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not so shocking really - at least not in the sense of it being surprising.

    Sports are still rife with expressions of homophobia - it comes as part and parcel of the machismo.

    Not disagreeing that JOB is a turd though.
    Classy.

  35. #22

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    Is this thread a joke?

  36. #23
    - .-- ... ... Natston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Timbuktupolis, IN
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,058
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    I am sorry, but everyone in here is being a homosapien...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)


    Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

  37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:


  38. #24
    How u imawhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    B-town
    Posts
    4,997

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    overall I think this is a non-issue. But if you want to know all the names NBA coaches call players, it would be. Very long list. And a lot saltier than what is being discussed here
    I 100% disagree. I think we're at a point now where anti-gay and sexist slurs have joined racial slurs as off limits.

    O'Brien crossed the line imo, and quite frankly as both a leader and as a parent of a special needs child, he should be even more tolerant and understanding of others situations/lifestyles than the average person.

  39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:


  40. #25

    Default Re: Jim O'Brien called David Harrison a 'homo' during film sessions?

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I 100% disagree. I think we're at a point now where anti-gay and sexist slurs have joined racial slurs as off limits.

    O'Brien crossed the line imo, and quite frankly as both a leader and as a parent of a special needs child, he should be even more tolerant and understanding of others situations/lifestyles than the average person.
    And you are crossing the line for choosing to believe in gossip and the credibility of what appears to be a disgruntled former employee without harder facts to back it up.

    Harrison sounds bitter towards his last employer. We all know people like this. I'm sure he'd be less bitter if he had been capable of landing an NBA job since 2008. Maybe he should have spent more time focusing on improving his rebounding and less time stewing. Seems that years later he still hasn't grown up. Say what you want about O'Brien, but I haven't heard a peep from him since his firing in 2011.

    And please tell me... How do you know that O'Brien isn't more "understanding" of other situations compared to the average person? I do know that the man has spent a considerable amount of time helping and advocating on behalf of the homeless. He hasn't tossed the downtrodden aside or looked down upon them. I do know that he is devoted to his daughter who yes, has faced and overcome the type of challenges that most of us have never had to face. I do know that the man is not perfect, but I have always respected his work ethic and dedication to his craft.

    I'm sure we could play this game with any player and any coach. As has been posted on this board previously, In 2007 Paul Pierce had this to say about the 6 seasons he spent with O'Brien in Boston.... ""He's a straight shooter type of guy," said Celtics forward Paul Pierce. "He demands a lot of his players. I'm surprised he has been out of coaching that long. I think we had a good relationship. We had an open relationship. He was real demanding of his players. I looked at him as one of those old-school coaches. He's a throwback coach. He preaches a lot of defense. He always preached about that."

    http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...ht_in_indiana/

    And yet Paul Pierce was critical of Coach George Karl in 2002. So what? Sometimes players like coaches and sometimes they don't and they are apt to try and smear them. When you win, as Pierce did with O'Brien in Boston when they advance to the conference finals, you tend to remember favorably the demanding mentors. But when we are ultimately unsuccessful, we are less likely to remember fondly the most demanding of mentors or teachers.

    If five years from now a bitter Lance Stephenson were to throw a few shots at Frank Vogel, I'm sure that more of us would be embracing the presumption of innocence. Because the majority of us like Frank Vogel as a person. Remove your anti-O'Brien bias and don't let it color your entire perception of what is fair and what is right. We are better than that.

  41. The Following User Says Thank You to DonSwanson For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Melo and Howard to star in basketball film called "Amazing"
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2010, 08:12 AM
  2. David Harrison
    By ABADays in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-28-2004, 09:17 AM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 09:44 AM
  4. david harrison
    By SjA3837 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 12:20 AM
  5. David Harrison
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 11:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •