Ian Mahinmi and Gerald Green are coming along. George Hill is playing like good as well as David West. Roy Hibbert found his rhythm in this game. Lance Stehphenson is showing big potenial. Sam Young is also playing better. We need to keep the momentum. If we do, when this team gets Danny Granger back we could be a very good team
What a difference a game makes!
Great win for the pacers. Great for our confidence to get a blowout W.
But I was thinking....if there was ever a team Bird would want to be the GM for aside from the Pacers, it'd be DAL.
Carlisle, JOB are coaches that LB liked.
DC, Jones were players LB traded for/signed
Mayo and Kaman were players that LB always had interest in.
Dirk has been compared to LB(although it's more bc he's a big, shooter who happens to be a non African American)
Cuban is an owner that'll SPEND for FA...
Just some food for thought...
For the first time this season I recognized the team that was on the floor! Great energy! Great defense! Roy's still pressing and DJ still looks uncomfortable, but a step in the right direction. Great game by Lance!
@DavidHarrison13: It's crazy to me how Jim has a job in the NBA other than ball boy. But I couldn't even get that job now so #fml
Nah, man. I'm not saying I'd rather he had a bad game. I just know that if it takes Sam Young scoring 14 points for us to win a game, we ain't finishing above .500. Nah mean?
I'm most encouraged by Roy Hibbert's last quarter of play. He's clearly not there yet, but he's getting there.
Yeah, that's the stuff!
Fine. I didn't want to directly call out the tanking thread, which was the intended target. Thought it was a clever thing to say, but it did not come across as I had intended.
I have added a preface apology to my original post.
Last edited by maragin; 11-16-2012 at 11:29 PM.
In other news I expect Jr Smith to be suspended for Sundays game.
DC on emotions returning to Indy - "Not really."
"We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.
This is what I was talking about when I kept saying to give it time, because we all know the team we saw on the court tonight is what this team really is. "Blowing up the team" and "firing Vogel" were very much knee-jerk reactions. This is a team with good players, and they just need to get in sync. Let's hope it carries over. Confidence can be a very shaky thing when you're first establishing it.
There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.
on the Eddie White post game show, George Hill said that Frank revamped the offense to help focus on the youth and atheleticism of the team minus Granger. He said that the offense had originally been setup to showcase Danny... Hopefully this means that we'll continue to look good!
We're going to the Super Bowl!
With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!
Need to Free Lance more!
Another nice game from Lance. With PG struggling and Lance on fire shooting, they should draw more plays up for Lance. Hell, just let Lance create for himself and others. He's starting to get those TOs down too!
With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!
My takeaway is that Lance is better than DJones, Tyler is better the Murphy and Hill is better than Collison. If you add Granger to this team we are 8-2 leading the division on our way to ring...
I agree, and I'm a big Young fan. This was not a good game for the offense, it was just more solid defense and a pretty terrible Mavs offense. Look at the first couple of TO possessions where the Pacers came up empty. Look at the horrible struggles of Roy that got so bad he bailed out of post possessions with the much smaller Brand guarding him. Look at the struggles of Paul to protect the ball.
Right now Lance is the team's 3pt expert and half the points are coming off of garbage, 1/4th are coming from George and Lance just forcing their drives to the rim in traffic. I saw one nice rotation that got Lance an open 3 and another nice possession that got West an open baseline jumper.
But if you think other, better teams are going to be intimidated by this offense you better think again. The boys are working, they are defending and they are likeable. But they happen to suck on offense and tonight wasn't much different.
The win was huge, just for morale (fan morale). But there is a lot more work to be done before the damage is fixed.
Platform shoes and a drinking problem. I shouldn't have to explain how that would work.
BTW, I forgot to mention in the previous post that DJ continues to look bored/mundane. I don't get it. But as I was defending Sam/new players in other threads, you can see that Green, Ian and Sam are starting to figure out how they fit in. Green didn't have a big night, but you could also see where he backed it down on some plays rather than forcing his action at the wrong time. That's another sign of progress IMO.
Roy, Paul and DJ are lagging the most. It would be nice to see all 3 kick off their funks.
There won't be any odd thoughts tonight because I have a very early meeting in the am (yes on a Saturday) so I'll stick a couple of thoughts here.
1. Playing Tyler & Sam Young together is like playing Tyler & Lou together with the exception that you can play them with a real center. That is a very physical combo & on rare occasions when the moon turns blue or whatever Sam can hit that outside shot like he was Ray Allen thus providing you with both interior and defensive toughness but an actual shot maker as well. Don't count on it very often but when it works, like tonight, it can be a very strong weapon.
2. There is no stat to show you how important a couple of simple little plays were that were perfectly executed by Gerald Green & George Hill. Green set two solid screens and each one led to a wide open curl jumper from Hill. There was nothing fancy about it, but it was all part of the off ball movement and execution that we have so lacked going into this game. BTW while he didn't stuff the stat sheets I thought Green played a nice solid overall game.
3. No one will be happier than me whenever Vince finally retires. I swear to God he hits almost everything he ever shoots against us. I don't know if this is still a true stat or not but at one point in time I think Vince Carter had the most points scored against the Pacers by any opponent for a career.
4. Nothing cures poor interior offensive production like a visit from kindly old Dr. Saloon Door. Allowing post up position since 2000.
5. I don't know if any of you caught it or not but there was a very interesting twitter exchange between Mike Wells of the star & David Harrison about Jim O'Brien. I'll let others fill you in.
6. I couldn't help myself but I had to boo Satan every time I got a glimpse of him. I'm telling you though nothing but child like glee comes from me when I see him having to sit there on the bench and not be able to do anything or make any decisions.
7. Paul George still can not dribble.
8. Lance Stephenson is like an unstable molecule. He's going to explode you just don't know if it's going to blow up on you or on the other team. Tonight for certain Dallas felt his wrath. I love when he takes it to the basket, something always happens (could be good or could be bad but its going to happen).
9. Can Vince Carter be awarded a technical foul & a flopping warning on the same play? If so then I have a feeling Vince will be getting a call from the league office.
10. Jim O'Brien sucks
Regarding Sam Young, lost in the Milwaukee disaster was that he played a great 4th quarter.
So, in essence he's done this in back-to-back games, albeit totally different outcomes. He really isn't as bad as he'd been playing, so it was nice to seem him stringing some quality play together.
What a relief to see this result though. They needed this bad, as far as morale is concerned.
Oh, and how about the Pacers recent domination of Dallas? Last season, this season...nice to see.