Thread: Michael Redd to the Cavs?

Default Michael Redd to the Cavs?

Michael Redd would like to play with Lebron

CavsDec. 1 - The Bucks are off to a disappointing 4-8 start, but Michael Redd continues to improve. He's averaging career highs of 23.5 ppg, 5.1 rpg and 3 apg. He's also shooting a career-high 44 percent from 3 this season.

The bad news is Redd will be an unrestricted free agent at season's end, and one league source told ESPN Insider Chad Ford that Redd's seriously considering bolting to Cleveland to play with LeBron James. The Cavs are in desperate need of a 3-point shooter, and Redd, who was born in Columbus and played college ball at Ohio State, is itching to return.

The Cavs should have the money to pay him. Assuming they can get Zydrunas Ilgauskas to re-up for a reasonable amount, they should have enough cash under the cap to offer Redd the max. The way he's played the past two seasons, that's what he's worth – especially to a team like the Cavs, who desperately want to show LeBron they'll do whatever it takes to make the team a contender.

With the way the Cavs have been playing lately, you've got to believe a player like Redd would put them among the elite in the East.

Source: ESPN Insider

sweabs

Default Re: Michael Redd to the Cavs?

Enough said...

If this happens, the Cavs could/would make some noise.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Why in the world would Milwaukee do that?!?!
    In their own DIVISION, not to mention conference?!
    Getting WHAT in return?!?!
    My BS meter just blew a fuse.

Every producing player would like to be on a contender - that's not news. I'd love to hear a worthwhile theory on how this actually makes sense. Any takers?
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why in the world would Milwaukee do that?!?!
    In their own DIVISION, not to mention conference?!
    Getting WHAT in return?!?!
    My BS meter just blew a fuse.

Every producing player would like to be on a contender - that's not news. I'd love to hear a worthwhile theory on how this actually makes sense. Any takers?
    They are implying that Redd will try to sign with Cavs outright this summer since he'll be unrestricted. The only reason the Bucks would trade him is if they wanted something instead nothing.

PacRaz27

The Bucks would be insanely stupid to trade him anytime soon, especially to the Cavs.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    Does anyone actually read the posts, or just react to the titles?
    wonders this myself

would make cleveland a very dangerous team with Lebron at point and Redd at SG. However, it's been a LONG time since a team has won a championship without an elite big man, and if you've got both Lebron and Redd signed to max deals, it's gonna be tough to get a big man worth anything.

Alright, alright - I deserve that. But hey, nobody's perfect and I'm allowed to fly off the handle every now and then.

Still - I stand by my original point, which was kind of buried in exasperation. The fact that a good player would like to play on a contender is not worthy of the ink - or pixels - this is printed on. "League Source" is another way of saying "this guy I know." Rubbish.

If Milwaukee has any say - and they still do have a say - you can bet Redd ends up anywhere but Cleveland. my first two picks - 1) they clear house to pay him - or - 2) they do a sign and trade and ship him off to a low tier team like Washington or Golden State. Only after those two options are exhausted will they even begin to consider letting him walk right out the door into a division rivals' uniform.

Is that better?
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Alright, alright - I deserve that. But hey, nobody's perfect and I'm allowed to fly off the handle every now and then.

Still - I stand by my original point, which was kind of buried in exasperation. The fact that a good player would like to play on a contender is not worthy of the ink - or pixels - this is printed on. "League Source" is another way of saying "this guy I know." Rubbish.

If Milwaukee has any say - and they still do have a say - you can bet Redd ends up anywhere but Cleveland. my first two picks - 1) they clear house to pay him - or - 2) they do a sign and trade and ship him off to a low tier team like Washington or Golden State. Only after those two options are exhausted will they even begin to consider letting him walk right out the door into a division rivals' uniform.

Is that better?

Point is they won't have a say at the end of the season he can just walk and sign with whoever he likes

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    would make cleveland a very dangerous team with Lebron at point and Redd at SG. However, it's been a LONG time since a team has won a championship without an elite big man, and if you've got both Lebron and Redd signed to max deals, it's gonna be tough to get a big man worth anything.
    ??

Lebron would be at the 3 (where he is now) and they already have big Z at the C (who they are hoping will resign to a reasonable ammount).

That would mean high caliber 2,3 and 5. Those three give then a pure shooter, a good slasher, and a solid inside scorer. With McGinnis, Snow, and Harris, they have good guard depth after Redd. Gooden and Traylor are only servicable so they would be short on big man depth and swingmen but overall a very nice team.

After thinking about this, I bet this "league source" was either the Cavs' office or Redd's agent, trying to scare the Bucs office into doing something stupid, like getting PO'd and just letting him walk.

Another political angle is this - Redd's agent is stoking little fires to do two things: see where the most fan support will be for a max contract and also to force front offices - starting with Cleveland's - to make public statements about his client to raise his buzz/value.

There's always someone holding the strings.

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    You can't sign and trade someone to a team they don't want to go to. That's the whole point of a sign and trade. The player picks a team they want to go to but the team can't afford that player, and then the player demands his team to work out a deal with that team. They can't sign him and then secretly ship him off somewhere else, it voids the contract and agreement.
    Good point. But there is almost always a LIST of teams - and a number of negotiations/meetings before this is done. Every possibility out there will be pursued before someone is just allowed to walk on to a division rival's court.

I'm not saying it won't happen. I'm saying that the odds are against it.

Mood

After thinking about this, I bet this "league source" was either the Cavs' office or Redd's agent, trying to scare the Bucs office into doing something stupid, like getting PO'd and just letting him walk.
    He can walk at the end of the year if the front office is pissed off or not. Redd is trying to speed up the process of leaving the Bucks, and scaring any other team that thinks of trading for him (besides the Cavs) because he'll leave them empty handed when he goes into free agency.

This is fun - I hate agreeing with people all the time. It's good to mix things up!

Milwaukee is in a very weak position with Redd. But they DO want something for him. The only angle Milwaukee has is the issue of a gaurantee. A sign and trade that is negotiated by teams is a guarantee to a player that he will play in a certain city under certain circumstances. What would happen if he walked and then his top pick got cold feet? A lot of panicked scrambling would happen.

How do you find out if they are going to get cold feet? Leak a "story" like this and read all about it.

Milwaukee wants to go to their player and say "Here's your max contract - where do you want to go? If they don't like the answer, they can push for something else, but the player can rest assured that they will get the $$$ and have a say in their destination.

Before y'all reply and say that Redd will get the money and city he wants either way, I agree. But there is plenty of time for alot of other teams to make convincing bids.

Yes, it would be scary to have to face two top offensive talents on the same team, but aside from the fact that he's avaible, does it really make sense to have to two best players on a team play the same position?

PacRaz27

lol...the sad thing was that I actually did read the little blurb in the first post, and I still didn't notice that they were just talking about FA and not a trade. embarassing.

Is Lebron really playing SF this year? I know I heard something about them taking the ball out of his hands, but I figured they'd put him at SG, so he can use his size and athleticism against smaller players. Also, it seems like he'd be a pretty weak rebounding SF, although looking at the numbers, he is averaging almost 8 per game. Well, it seems the Magic Johnson experiment is over, let's just hope the next Michael Jordan doesn't end up being the next Dominique Wilkins.

They play him like Grant Hill. Sometimes he's a point forward and brings the ball up. Sometimes he's the first guy to get the pass in the half court.