Thread: Has a Pacers Starter Ever Demanded a Trade?

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Has a Pacers Starter Ever Demanded a Trade?

I was in a conversation last night with - what else - a group of Lakers fans, and the bagging on the Pacers wouldn't stop. I tried to convince them that the Pacers organization has been one of the consistently classiest in the history of the NBA. I also suggested that the organization's ability to keep quality players in a small market - in a time when players would rather live the high life in bigger cities - says alot about how great the organization is to its people.

Here's the problem - to prove my point, I told these guys that I couldn't remember the last time a starter for the Pacers actually asked to be traded (I'm not calling Al a starter). Can anyone back me up with some facts? When was the last time this happened?
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Default Re: Has a Pacers Starter Ever Demanded a Trade?

Dale Davis in the summer of 2000 asked to be traded.

That is the only starter I know of

I believe Dale Davis in fact did make a trade demand when he had his little spat in 2000.

-Bball

Riiight -

I loved DD, but it looks like that worked out pretty well for us

Anyone else? Ever?
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think its safe to say DD was the only Pacers' starter to demand a trade during the Donnie Walsh era. Of course, some bench players like AD and Al demanded trades so they could become starters. Didn't somebody demand a trade during the season we don't speak of. I know we made quite a few trades that year - for a while Vinnie Askew was in our rotation.

Prior to 1986/ DW, I think there were some other examples. But that's almost twenty years ago, and Lakers fans can't think that far back, even though they'll gladly talk about Magic, Kareem & Co. as if they do remember them.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Sports Logo

Dale had issues with his contract not with the Pacers. They told him at the time that he signed his contract extension that if he waited he would be able to get more money but he wanted the security now.

So they gave him the biggest extension they could (at least in monetary size I dont know about years). Afterwards he regretted the extension because he became an all star and would have been able to command a lot more money. He fired his agent and asked to be traded. As if that would bring more money in.

Since his extension was for the largest amount allowable, he was looking to go somewhere that he could get more endorsement $$$, IIRC.
    Don't know if Portland was *that* place, but that's what he got.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

DD DID beyatch about more endorsement $$$$. THEre ws some kinda miscommunication between he and his agent as to whether to file for free agency or not and Dale wanted the P's to fix it somehow.

After he was traded he kept up contact with the P's in hopes of coming back, but it appears once DW grants your wish he won't be swayed back. (Don't look for him to be bringing Al back anytime soon). He's loyal and if you aren't...well, you make your choices and you gotta live with em. Now bringing back Jax was different, Mark didn't ask to be traded so he never violated Donnies trust. SO in that way there was nothing DW had to forgive.

NewType

I think Cro and Kenny Anderson asked for a trade before.

Quote Originally Posted by NewType
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Cro and Kenny Anderson asked for a trade before.
    KA was offered a trade last year and he actually said no. He wanted a ring, wanted to be a part of the organization, and wanted to show his loyalty even if that meant he was third in line. That takes a lot of guts and class.

For what it's worth, neither of these guys were starters at the time of trade rumors, so I'm not really counting them.

Dale's agent let the deadline pass for him to opt for FA. Supposedly, the agent thought that was what Dale wanted to do.

Apparently he was wrong.... and you'd have to ask why Dale would want to bypass the FA market to see what was offered.

So, even if Dale wanted the Pacers to help 'fix' this, the fact is the Pacers actually fought him on the issue (it was taken up with the league IIRC). And this didn't go over too well. Reading between the lines I gather the Pacers sat on the info the date was coming and didn't make any waves or give Dale a heads up even tho you'd have to think he'd want to explore FA all things considered.

If the same happened to Reggie or Rik I wonder what the front office would've done?

Anyway.... Peck is on the way to this thread I am sure. I bet he has the details ready to roll. I'll be corrected if I have any facts or speculation wrong.

-Bball

Didn't Travis ask to be traded.

Once Jamaal was given (first version said 'earned', but we all know that's not how it happened) the starting spot, it was reported that Travis might welcome a trade. I don't recall Travis *asking* to be traded. And he wasn't starting, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Dale's agent let the deadline pass for him to opt for FA. Supposedly, the agent thought that was what Dale wanted to do.

Apparently he was wrong.... and you'd have to ask why Dale would want to bypass the FA market to see what was offered.

So, even if Dale wanted the Pacers to help 'fix' this, the fact is the Pacers actually fought him on the issue (it was taken up with the league IIRC). And this didn't go over too well. Reading between the lines I gather the Pacers sat on the info the date was coming and didn't make any waves or give Dale a heads up even tho you'd have to think he'd want to explore FA all things considered.

If the same happened to Reggie or Rik I wonder what the front office would've done?

Anyway.... Peck is on the way to this thread I am sure. I bet he has the details ready to roll. I'll be corrected if I have any facts or speculation wrong.

-Bball
    That particular incident with the agent was a couple of years before DD asked to be traded. I also don't recall the Pacers fighting him; there wasn't much to fight about. He had a player option to terminate his contract early, and his agent didn't fill out any paperwork to exercise that option prior to its expiration. DD filed a greivance against his agent and fired him; but I don't believe there was anything else the league/ team could do about it.

The ironic thing was: DD was probably overpaid on that particular contract/ extension anyway. IMO, he didn't have anything to bellyache about in the first place.

[/ducks]

[/Peck swings at Jay]

[/Jay does best Carl Lewis immitation]

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Once Jamaal was given (first version said 'earned', but we all know that's not how it happened) the starting spot, it was reported that Travis might welcome a trade. I don't recall Travis *asking* to be traded. And he wasn't starting, either.
    Ah - that comes close. I remember thinking about how Best would be upset by that.

The point of my original stance last night was to show how the org. does a better job of keeping its starting players satisfied [unlike - let me think of an example - the ridiculous mess of the Lakers]. I'd say the Travis story is a good example of an exception, and it does ride the line of the starter/not a starter thing.

Anything else? Maybe before DW?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    That particular incident with the agent was a couple of years before DD asked to be traded. I also don't recall the Pacers fighting him; there wasn't much to fight about.
    [Waiting for Peck for confirmation]
    I seem to recall the Pacer front office did fight Dale on this issue taking an active role in the case. On one hand, you can't blame them because it wasn't their job to question why he hadn't excercised his option or certainly to 'help' him in any disputes that, if he won, would cost the organization money or the loss of a player. OTOH, I've always doubted Reggie or Rik would've been handled the same way.

[/Waiting for Peck for confirmation]

-Bball

Shameless bump. I'm still tortured by this.

Right out of the gate, Tinsley was a better PG than Travis. His first six months were surreal.

Yeah - I thought it was a bad move by Zeke when he said it. I thought Tinsley would eventually be good but wasn't that good yet. I was reformed after a couple of weeks.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Oh believe me, I disliked Travis as much, if not more, than everyone else.

I'm not saying that, by the end of game 1, he hadn't earned it. But it was a gift.

Bump!!!