Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Fear the Deer

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Fear the Deer

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

As for Lance......I'm all for giving him as many minutes as he can handle and to take the leash off of him when it comes to scoring.....if PG isn't willing to take over on the offensive end....then let Lance do his best impression of Dwayne Wade.
    This. At least Lance is fearless, he really is. And that is something we need a LOT of right now. The results can't be any worse than they are now with our wings afraid to shoot.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacertron For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Seriously? When we had the 5th best record in the NBA last year, you felt screwed? Seriously?
    He thinks last season's sample size of 66 games was luck, and this season's sample size of 9 games is closer to reality. I wish I was kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Seriously? When we had the 5th best record in the NBA last year, you felt screwed? Seriously?
    If Vnzla had to admit that Danny was this important to the team, he would be wrong and that would be a travesty he is not willing to face.

EDIT: The truth as always is in the middle, does Danny immediately make us the 5th best team in the NBA again? No. Are we probably 5-4 or 6-3 instead of 3-6? I think so.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 11-15-2012 at 01:47 PM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Who? I think what people are saying, and what you're taking it as, are two seperate things.
    I think you are taking my comments out of context a little. I never said Danny wouldn't help the offense, just that he won't "fix" it.

Overall, even with Granger, I feel like our offensive problems are that we lack a facilitator (or two). And I have been very vocal about it even when we have been winning.

Danny suffers from our flaws as much as anyone, and his scoring average and shooting % has reflected that the last few years. The JOB teams HAD facilitators, Dunleavy is a player like I'm talking about. Tinsley is a player like that, hell TJ Ford is a player like that. Dunleavy, who I hate as a ball player, is strong in those areas. He is soft as butter and can't defend Betty White, but he can sure as hell handle the ball, make a good pass, get in the lane and facilitate. And Danny played his best next to him. The problem was that they were both SF's and neither could be an effective SG.

So my argument is that a guy like Granger really can't fix it. All we are seeing without him is a magnified version of our flawed team from an offensive standpoint.

Think about it......all these complaints are the exact same things that were said all of last year every time we had a slump or a bad performance. Roy can't play, Paul George lacks a killer instinct, George Hill ain't a PG, Augustin/Collison suck, and so on. And Danny coming back won't erase those things because there is some truth is each one of them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    I think you are taking my comments out of context a little. I never said Danny wouldn't help the offense, just that he won't "fix" it.
    Then you'll have no problem coming up with names of people who've argued that Danny is a great facilitator then, if I'm just merely taking you out of context, and not the other way around.

Banned

He thinks last season's sample size of 66 games was luck, and this season's sample size of 9 games is closer to reality. I wish I was kidding.
    And nothing so far is proving me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    And nothing so far is proving me wrong.
    LOL

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

A legend in your own mind.

Banned

Overall, even with Granger, I feel like our offensive problems are that we lack a facilitator (or two). And I have been very vocal about it even when we have been winning.

Danny suffers from our flaws as much as anyone, and his scoring average and shooting % has reflected that the last few years. The JOB teams HAD facilitators, Dunleavy is a player like I'm talking about. Tinsley is a player like that, hell TJ Ford is a player like that. Dunleavy, who I hate as a ball player, is strong in those areas. He is soft as butter and can't defend Betty White, but he can sure as hell handle the ball, make a good pass, get in the lane and facilitate. And Danny played his best next to him. The problem was that they were both SF's and neither could be an effective SG.

So my argument is that a guy like Granger really can't fix it. All we are seeing without him is a magnified version of our flawed team from an offensive standpoint.

Think about it......all these complaints are the exact same things that were said all of last year every time we had a slump or a bad performance. Roy can't play, Paul George lacks a killer instinct, George Hill ain't a PG, Augustin/Collison suck, and so on. And Danny coming back won't erase those things because there is some truth is each one of them
    Amen to this, everybody here should think about reading this great post.

I kind of think he's a legend too. Vnzla81 really is never wrong; when it seems that he is, it is simply because he has yet to be proven right.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Don't hate.

Think about it......all these complaints are the exact same things that were said all of last year every time we had a slump or a bad performance. Roy can't play, Paul George lacks a killer instinct, George Hill ain't a PG, Augustin/Collison suck, and so on. And Danny coming back won't erase those things because there is some truth is each one of them.
    This just doesn't make much sense, IMHO.

If the problems of last year are the problems of this year, and last years team was good and this years team is bad, then what explains the difference?

You're arguing that it isn't Danny, yet him not playing is the only significant difference between last year and this year, besides the bench. Or do you just think the entire problem is the bench?

If the problems are the same this year as they were last year, then shouldn't we be able to expect similiar results as opposed to the direct opposite?

Neither you nor Vnlza has been able to provide any reasoning as to why this year is so different than last year, other than simply hanging your hat on last year being an aberration.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Don't hate.
    Pay him no heed. He's in what we call the reality-based community. That's not the way the board really works anymore. We're an empire now, you and I, and when we post, we create our own reality. And while they're studying that reality - judiciously, as they will - we'll post again, creating other new realities, which they can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're Pacers Digest's actors...and them, all of them, will be left to just study what we post.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Pay him no heed. He's in what we call the reality-based community. That's not the way the board really works anymore. We're an empire now, you and I, and when we post, we create our own reality. And while they're studying that reality - judiciously, as they will - we'll post again, creating other new realities, which they can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're Pacers Digest's actors...and them, all of them, will be left to just study what we post.
    I have no idea wtf you are talking about, good try though.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    If Vnzla had to admit that Danny was this important to the team, he would be wrong and that would be a travesty he is not willing to face.

EDIT: The truth as always is in the middle, does Danny immediately make us the 5th best team in the NBA again? No. Are we probably 5-4 or 6-3 instead of 3-6? I think so.
    Another thing to note....even with Granger out.....if Hibbert didn't revert to his old self instead of the dominant Low Post scorer that he once was....then I can see us doing much better. Keep in mind...we lost at least 3 game where the difference on the offensive end was 3-4 points....the difference in Scoring average between Hibbert last year and this year.

As we have noted......Granger was the guy that kept the offense honest....Hibbert is capable of commanding double-teams ( at least he was last year ). If Hibbert can do the same and regain some attention on the offensive end...then I think that we can become an "average scoring" team instead of the worst scoring Team in the League.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Then you'll have no problem coming up with names of people who've argued that Danny is a great facilitator then, if I'm just merely taking you out of context, and not the other way around.
    I am arguing more that people over rate his contributions on offense, than that they misrepresent what he is about as a player.

This just doesn't make much sense, IMHO.

If the problems of last year are the problems of this year, and last years team was good and this years team is bad, then what explains the difference?

You're arguing that it isn't Danny, yet him not playing is the only significant difference between last year and this year, besides the bench. Or do you just think the entire problem is the bench?

If the problems are the same this year as they were last year, then shouldn't we be able to expect similiar results as opposed to the direct opposite?

Neither you nor Vnlza has been able to provide any reasoning as to why this year is so different than last year, other than simply hanging your hat on last year being an aberration.
    Sports don't work like that. Every year is different.

Teams had no tape on Vogels offense last year. We weren't expected to be that good. Nobody knew exactly what kind of team we were gonna be. We played Orlando without Dwight Howard. We played Miami without Chris Bosh. All those things worked in our favor. We were healthy last year.

I don't think we were that great last year. 5th place is not my goal for the Pacers, it is a title.

I said we could be a good tough middle of the road playoff team this year. Coincidentally that is exactly what we were last year.

But, I am talking about the team going any further than that.

There seems to be a huge segment of the board that thinks that just because you were a good team one year, that you'll automatically progress forward. Too bad that didn't work out for Atlanta or Memphis.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 11-15-2012 at 02:27 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I am arguing more that people over rate his contributions on offense, than that they misrepresent what he is about as a player.
    Could it be without Granger that the flaws in the offense ( when it comes to the Starting Lineup ) are more exposed and therefore magnified?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post

Granger is THAT GOOD, when you look at the rest of our offensive players.

LOL! That really doesn't say alot for Granger when you compare him to the rest of the players on the team at the present!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    LOL! That really doesn't say alot for Granger when you compare him to the rest of the players on the team at the present!
    And that's a valid opinion to have, but it doesn't change how important he is to the team.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Banned

Could it be without Granger that the flaws in the offense ( when it comes to the Starting Lineup ) are more exposed and therefore magnified?
    Yes they are magnified but they won't go away if he gets back, the Pacers still need a shot creator, a shooter and a passer.

Some people are expecting him to facilitate offense. He is a finisher. He won't come in and turn our offense around, JMO. He will help.

I think this early season struggle has shined a huge light on our flaws as a team.
    I'll quote you so I don't take you out of context.

Some people are expecting him to facilitate offense. He is a finisher. He won't come in and turn our offense around, JMO. He will help.

I think this early season struggle has shined a huge light on our flaws as a team.
    So again I ask, who's been arguing that Danny is a facilitator? That's not what people said, nor implying. Danny isn't a facilitator, he's a finisher.

Sports don't work like that. Every year is different.
    And yet you're arguing that the problems last year are the same exact problems as this year. I'll even quote you again.

So the problems are the exact same as last year, and the only difference this year is that Danny is out, but Danny playing again won't result like last year, because each year is different.

Gotcha.
    Last edited by Since86; 11-15-2012 at 02:41 PM.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Yes they are magnified but they won't go away if he gets back, the Pacers still need a shot creator, a shooter and a passer.
    NOBODY IS DISPUTING THIS FACT!!! lol.

Since he's been our main offensive option, our offense has NEVER looked THIS BAD. I mean even when we had Earl Freakin Watson as our starting PG, we were still able to score a lot of nights (yes it's because of JOB's bs system) with Danny at the helm. He was a good-great scorer on a bad team. As bad as our team is playing now, we don't even have anyone that can be a good to great scorer on a bad team lol.

We know we need more facilitators, shooters, and shot creators. Nobody can dispute that. If nothing else, then we definitely need a player that can do at least two of the three. Danny is only a shooter and a scorer. We know he won't solve all of our problems, but he's definitely been taken for granted for what he provides this team.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

I think it's both. It's not an either/or for me.

People I am not arguing Danny isn't a good offensive player. I am not arguing that he doesn't help the offense. This thread was originally about our problems as a team in regards to this rough start, and whether or not it's because Danny is out. I think it has something to do with it, mainly that it has thrust Paul George and Roy Hibbert into roles neither are comfortable with.

But, overall I feel like our lack of good guard play will hinder us regardless, no matter how strong Danny returns. And we won't build on last years success by going further into the playoffs. Once you get past the first round you are playing the ELITE teams. You can't get to the conference finals with George Hill and Paul George in the back court. JMO

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Political Science and History degree over here. Nicely done, very nicely done - and so, so appropriate.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

38. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Well there's the disconnect.

No one is arguing that Danny is a solution good enough to make the Pacers an elite offensive team. Instead the argument is that Danny is a solution that will make the Pacers as good as last years offense.

Getting back to last years level would be a huge positive.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post: