Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roy Hibbert - Our Max Player! 2012 thread!!

Default Re: Roy Hibbert - Our Max Player!

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good call by how Roy played vs ORL. Bad call by how ineffective Roy was vs Miami without Bosh
    He wasn't ineffective vs Miami. THere is a reason the leads evaporated to nothing while he was off the court, and they extended leads while he was on the court.

The only reason why people said he was "ineffective" was because the idea that he must be a scorer. It's just a horrible way to look at his game. On the other hand, people look at Tyson Chandler, and completely understand he offers nothing offensively so they don't expect it. They only judge him on his ability to anchor a defense and rebound, something Roy Hibbert did on a similar level.

By the way, Roy Hibbert being able to effectively hinder the offense of a team that has Both LeBron James and Dwyane Wade is incredible. His best series was against Miami. Not Orlando.

He's just fell flat on his face this season and I'm not sure why.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    He wasn't ineffective vs Miami. THere is a reason the leads evaporated to nothing while he was off the court, and they extended leads while he was on the court.

The only reason why people said he was "ineffective" was because the idea that he must be a scorer. It's just a horrible way to look at his game. On the other hand, people look at Tyson Chandler, and completely understand he offers nothing offensively so they don't expect it. They only judge him on his ability to anchor a defense and rebound, something Roy Hibbert did on a similar level.

By the way, Roy Hibbert being able to effectively hinder the offense of a team that has Both LeBron James and Dwyane Wade is incredible. His best series was against Miami. Not Orlando.

He's just fell flat on his face this season and I'm not sure why.
    Unpopular opinion alert and I'm not sure I even agree with it, but I'll just put it out there: But maybe Roy's not as humble as we thought? Maybe Roy is more wrapped up in the almighty dollar than we assumed? Maybe Roy is just too ****ing happy with being a $14 million dollar guy?

I don't think I agree with that, but I can say this, Roy's best season in college came his second to last year, and once he had made a name for himself, his last year was pretty much ****, hence why he dropped to 17 in the draft and a lot of people weren't excited when we drafted him. So it's not exactly unprecedented that Roy follows up a great season with a ****** one.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pathil275 View Post
    Shrink time.
    Brilliant!

This thread is pure gold.

Maybe he should spend less time rehearsing and making flash mob videos and more time working on his game?

I love Roy and love the energy, excitement, etc. that he brings to the team, but we're paying him superstar money and getting role player production. I just hope that this doesn't become a "worst contract in the NBA" type of thing.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I truly believe he will turn things around.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I'm beginning to think that something else is going on with Hibbert.
    I am thinking there is something else going on as well....Has anyone else noticed that he has been non-existant on twitter the past couple of weeks?? This is a man that used to tweet as soon as he would get to his hotel room after a game, and we're going on a week and a half with nothing more than a tweet about the NBA honoring vets.....Something is going on in big mans head....

Quote Originally Posted by ejwallace View Post
    I am thinking there is something else going on as well....Has anyone else noticed that he has been non-existant on twitter the past couple of weeks?? This is a man that used to tweet as soon as he would get to his hotel room after a game, and we're going on a week and a half with nothing more than a tweet about the NBA honoring vets.....Something is going on in big mans head....
    The team probably took away his phone... The venom he has been getting on there is ridiculous and over the top. Most of it probably coming from people who couldn't have given two craps about this team a year ago.....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    The team probably took away his phone... The venom he has been getting on there is ridiculous and over the top. Most of it probably coming from people who couldn't have given two craps about this team a year ago.....
    And the moment he signed the contract he did he knew it would be here. He went from the young guy making progess to the top $$$ man, and if you are a $$$ man that doesn't produce then this is what you get.

Maybe he did but I don't remember hearing any stories about Roy working out with a Tim Duncan or bringing in a Bill Walton to work on his game over the summer. I know he was into lifting but what else did he work on?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Theres honest criticism, and then theres the ABSOLUTE VILE that our fans USED to be above creating. Suddenly our fans are acting like Knicks/Bulls fans (and it didn't just start happening in the last week, go back to the day after the draft when people were tweeting the AskMiles thing and being absolute jackasses) and it makes me sick to my stomach to see it happen. Roy WILL turn his game around.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Maybe he did but I don't remember hearing any stories about Roy working out with a Tim Duncan or bringing in a Bill Walton to work on his game over the summer. I know he was into lifting but what else did he work on?
    I can't recall the article but he worked out with Duncan to include strength training and post-play work. I know he's big into MMA cardio stuff as well.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to eric1516 For This Useful Post:

RWB

billbradley

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...th-tim-duncan/

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...g-roy-hibbert/

Maybe Walton can cheer up Hibby by giving Roy the Diaw treatment on an inspirational tape...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

RWB

Thanks Bill, the links you posted was from an article this past May (means Hibbert worked with Duncan the summer of 2011) and the Walton article was from 2010. Just brings me back to 'what did Roy work on over the 2012 summer'?
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Undefeated

Roy played some solid defense and got to the rim last night, he just couldn't score. He also looks more out of shape to me. Last year he seemed to get gassed quickly, but this year he seems beat by tipoff.
    Danger Zone

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thanks Bill, the links you posted was from an article this past May (means Hibbert worked with Duncan the summer of 2011) and the Walton article was from 2010. Just brings me back to 'what did Roy work on over the 2012 summer'?
    Here's a link to the MMA article from SLAM

23. The Following User Says Thank You to eric1516 For This Useful Post:

RWB

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think everyone has always viewed Roy as our offensive lynchpin... I've always viewed him as more of an indicator of how our overall offense is executing. When things are going right, Roy is able to do his thing. When things aren't right, Roy struggles. He's more of a product of the system than a catalyst.

He's a load, for sure. But things have to be clicking for all five guys on the court. This is what we're seeing. The offensive flow is all jacked up and Roy is struggling. When the offense starts to smooth out, you'll see Roy come out of his shell a bit. He's getting moved out too far too easily, and guys aren't getting him the passes where he needs it. This is something he's always struggled with --- receiving the inlet pass. If you make him move for the ball, he gets out of rhythm and usually throws up a bad shot or fumbles the ball away.

I think he needs to focus on the defensive side of the ball and rebounding for now, and just let the offense work itself out. Right now his confidence and shot is falling and he just needs to pull back and focus on the little things and ease back into the offensive side of things, hit a few shots and get into a rhythm.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 11-14-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Mood

I think what's happening is that Roy is realizing he's no longer the loveable, hard-working big guy. He's now "THE MAN", our only max contract player, a guy that will be counted to perform at a very, very high level. Roy needs to play like a top 5 Center, because he's being paid to be one.

Before, everything seemed like a total bonus. Now, success is expected.

I, for one, am very disappointed in his effort this season. He is clearly not prepared game in and game out, getting punked by inferior players. No fire, poor effort. He's certainly regressed, especially with how much he rushes around and doesn't take advantage of his excellent footwork in the post. He panic shoots too often.

In last nights game he really killed the momentum the team had early. They tried to work the ball into him, lost it, gave up a transition bucket because it was 5 on 4 with Roy laboring up the court. Followed by another poor offensive set centered around Roy, then another poor defensive effort by Roy.

He really, REALLY needs to figure it out.

The thing I see him doing is giving in to inferior opponents. He is contantly being out rebounded by players he should not be. He should have 4-5 offensive rebound slams per game but he keeps chasing the ball away from the basket. Is he even averaging 5 FT a game?

Can we get the scared players (PG24 and Roy) out of the starting lineup. Give me Tyler and Green in place of those two...that gives you a starting five of guys who if nothing else, don't play scared.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Mood

https://www.goproworkouts.com/workou...ll/roy_hibbert

29. The Following User Says Thank You to ejwallace For This Useful Post:

RWB

He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts...for support rather than illumination.

People are so bipolar is craaazy. I remember being here when Portland gave him the offer sheet.
    People said to match at all cause, Because it would show loyalty and it would keep the core together.
    Now everyone here is a prophet and saw this coming lol. 7'2 bigs who can defend and score are a
    premium in the NBA, The Nuggets have Javale coming off the bench.

By me ^^

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to picasso For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by davidinnc View Post
    The thing I see him doing is giving in to inferior opponents. He is contantly being out rebounded by players he should not be. He should have 4-5 offensive rebound slams per game but he keeps chasing the ball away from the basket. Is he even averaging 5 FT a game?
    He's averaging 1.4 FTA/game, and shooting 45% on those. He's taken 11 FT's this season, or as many as Tyler took a couple of games ago...in the single game.

Thanks to everyone for posting notes/links to Roy working on his conditioning. The question is still out there, has anyone found an article where Roy worked on his game during the summer and not just in his backyard or driveway?

Thanks to everyone for posting notes/links to Roy working on his conditioning. The question is still out there, has anyone found an article where Roy worked on his game during the summer and not just in his backyard or driveway?
    Can you find one that says that he didn't?

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndcoltsnpacers For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Being disengaged is more a mental than physical issue. I don't think hibbert's struggles are due to him not practicing hard enough.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post: