Thread: Finding Motivation Next Season

immortal shaman rat king Ratking's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

Default Finding Motivation Next Season

I think the most concerning thing is that it will be very difficult for our team to find the same motivation that they had to start this season come October. We have taken a step back, and are facing what our own coach is considering the Bulls/Jordan of our time. Fighting all season for home court was irrelevant, but I think we need to do our best to do it again next season to have a chance of dethroning the Heat. Now, it might be a slim possibility, but if Lebron moves to the West, perhaps our guys see an open opportunity and dig deep to make a run. However, the more realistic but very difficult motivator may be to acquire veterans with playoff experience who have their own beef with the Heat. I know the Rondo idea is very polarizing on PD, but I think he is the right kind of competitor to reinject this team with a drive to overcome our biggest challenge. Does that mean letting go of Lance due to likely chemistry issues? Not sure. What trade gets us Rondo, anyway? Hibbert, Scola and Turner's (sign and trade) values have depreciated considerably, but maybe the draft lands the C's Smart or Exum and they are in a position to shop Rondo. It might mean giving up West, a piece we know they valued in the past, and one of our only trade chips perhaps outside of a sign-and-trade of Lance and obviously Paul George (who isn't going anywhere).

Id be curious to hear what people think about this concern, and what other potential solutions might be.

Default Re: Finding Motivation Next Season

If the team can't find motivation, then get rid of them. We'll have no chance. If this season has taught the team anything, I hope they know how to be professionals and keep their eye on the bigger prize and block out all the ********.

The loss and end of the season may be disheartening and embarrassing/humiliating/pathetic/whatever. These guys are competitors and of course they are beaten down now, but you get refocused and recharged.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sopgy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We can be motivated from here until high heaven, but if we don't get some better offensive players we will end up in the same place asking the same questions at the end of next season.

If our team believes we can't get to the finals, then trade them all.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

They may need a little push at times, but Winners are self motivated.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

I think the key for next year is not motivation, but learning from this mistakes made this season (goes for players, coaches, front office, etc.). Our team and organization learned a lot this season. We made this huge deal about getting the #1 seed, thinking it would solve our problems against the Heat. Instead, it backfired and almost caused what would have been arguably one of the most embarrassing playoff series losses to a sub .500 Atlanta Hawks team. This team also learned a lot about how being in the spotlight and national sports news can have a severely negative impact. For the past few years our players would complain about not getting attention (specifically Hibbert's comments last post-season) and this season, they sure as heck got the attention some desperately were craving. There were just so many different obstacles and difficulties this team was presented with during the course of the 2013-14 season that they probably never imagined happening, but that is what you're going to get with a relatively young team and coach. Learning from our mistakes and evolving as a team would be the theme of choice for me next season if I was the coach of this team.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BenR1990 For This Useful Post:

The thing was Vogel said that Bulls Jordan thing very strongly & almost angrily. To me it was saying either "stop picking on my team because they are so good" or "don't dare fire me because I'm good but nobody can beat them, so don't blame me."

I didn't like the comment. It was similar to the George's mentor thing. It showed me he acted like we could win but lacked the belief deep down they would or could win. After the 2nd half I guess we all did. Don't compare your opponent to a team that blocked damn near everybody else in the league from a ring & never lost in the Playoffs (I know they did in the baseball years). Why do that? Say they are great, they deserved to win but don't elevate them.

Didn't appreciate or like the comment.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Last edited by larry; 06-01-2014 at 01:29 AM.
    1 - 2, Tinsley's coming for you.
    3 - 4, You're not a team no more.
    5 - 6, He's gonna plead the 5th.
    7 - 8, He's gonna stay out late.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to larry For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by larry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The thing was Vogel said that Bulls Jordan thing very strongly & almost angrily. To me it was saying either "stop picking on my team because they are so good" or "don't dare fire me because I'm good but nobody can beat them, so don't blame me."

I didn't like the comment. It was similar to the George's mentor thing. It showed me he acted like we could win but lacked the belief deep down they would or could win. After the 2nd half I guess we all did. Don't compare your opponent to a team that blocked damn near everybody else in the league from a ring & never lost in the Playoffs (I know they did in the baseball years). Why do that? Say they are great, they deserved to win but don't elevate them.

Didn't appreciate or like the comment.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Vogel was obviously right though as *****ed up as it might be for us to concede about the Heat. First we decide which direction we go with the team and based upon that project where we want to be next season.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    We can be motivated from here until high heaven, but if we don't get some better offensive players we will end up in the same place asking the same questions at the end of next season.
    I would substitute better players with a better offensive system and a different distribution of responsibilities and duties on offense. Obviously we are going to have to make a change for us to be able to execute that new system effectively (I would say a PG).
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

assuming PG gets back... Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

They just lost to the same team three years in a row. They're the first team to do that an a LONG time. Being talented enough is one thing, but if they can't even get motivated enough then **** em.

That's why I want Lance back, warts and all. It's not so much that he wants his team to win, but HE wants to win. The kid's got marbles. That approach is valuable. Hard to harness, hard to translate into a team game, but valuable. It's part of what we lost when we dumped Danny. We let Lance walk we'll regret it.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I don't think motivation will be a problem. Players are as optimistic as fans - next year is always gonna be better.

I will say you need to get rid of Hibbert. The man quit on his team the second half. Not every night but a lot of them. He needs to get gone. You can't have that sort of team toxicity around.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Bring in a veteran off the bench scorer. Turner will be gone so we have to improve the bench again
    Smothered Chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    Turner will be gone so we have to improve the bench again
    Well, to be honest, getting rid of Turner DOES improve the bench.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Lebron will be the Jordan of this era if he 3peat. If miami lose they prove themselves with the championships. But Kobe did a 2peat not to long ago either.