Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What defines a bandwagoner?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default What defines a bandwagoner?

I was having a discussion with a friend about this, and I wanted to get your input.
    @qandrews9428

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

If you change allegiances based on wins and losses, you might be a bandwagoner

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Default Re: What defines a bandwagoner?

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Is it bandwagon to grow up in Indiana, and choose to support the Lakers all your life?
    @qandrews9428

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Someone who has no invested interest in a team, but only openly cheers for a team because it's cool or because they like the image.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

If you are, say, born in Indiana, don't initially have a team, and then choose a team because it's winning and popular, then you might be a bandwagon fan.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Dangerously close to a Jeff Foxworthy copyright violation. Here's your sign. My turn to git-r-done.

If the only players you recognize on your favorite team are All-Stars, then you might be a bandwagoner.
    Last edited by LoneGranger33; 03-15-2013 at 10:06 PM.

billbradley

A Laker fan that has never been to Cali.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    A Laker fan that has never been to Cali.
    Screw the people from PacersChina then...

Screw Nuntius and whatever international fans the Pacers have then..
    Last edited by vnzla81; 03-15-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Why are people who for example support the Suns but have never lived in Phoenix respected, but fans who support the Heat who have never lived in Miami not respected?
    @qandrews9428

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    Is it bandwagon to grow up in Indiana, and choose to support the Lakers all your life?
    No.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Why are people who for example support the Suns but have never lived in Phoenix respected, but fans who support the Heat who have never lived in Miami not respected?
    If they supported the Suns or the Heat their whole lives then they both should be respected.

If they supported another team but switched sides to the Suns or the Heat because they were winning, then they are bandwagon fans.
    Last edited by Nuntius; 03-16-2013 at 04:30 AM.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

its not a blanket statement like that - a suns fan who never lived in phx but is loyal to the suns (particularly in times like now) is a real fan. most heat fan couldn't list a heat player outside of shaq and wade prior to the acquisition of bosh and lebron. that is, they only like the heat now because the heat have 3 super stars and are fairly. in the same way, if a suns fan only liked the suns when they had nash jj qrich marion and amare lineup and jumped ship to another team, they'd be equally as big a bandwagoner.
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    No.
    I disagree. I feel if you have the option to support your home town team, and instead choose to support a "better" team, it is indeed bandwagon. If you have no hometown team and pick a team then so be it, but if you choose to root against your hometown team then Yes, that is infact bandwagon.
    @qandrews9428

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

I define bandwagon as supporting, watching, and caring about a team only when they are winning. I am a bandwagon IU fan and have no shame. I have watched several games over the past 2 seasons. The 3 seasons prior, I rarely watched IU basketball.
    David "And One" West

I disagree. I feel if you have the option to support your home town team, and instead choose to support a "better" team, it is indeed bandwagon. If you have no hometown team and pick a team then so be it, but if you choose to root against your hometown team then Yes, that is infact bandwagon.
    I would agree. I grew up in the 90's, and a friend of mine I grew up with here locally hates both the Colts and Pacers. His teams are the Bulls, the Bills, and the Toronto Blue Jays. Still to this day he supports these teams. I guess he is a "loyal" fan to these teams, but not rooting for your hometown team is pretty blowhard to me
    David "And One" West

Sports Logo

Well, you have every right to disagree. But I don't call it being bandwagon.

That could possibly be front-running but that's quite different. A person is free to choose whatever team they like. They may like their style, they may like a player, they may have family in the team's area, heck they may even like the colors.

A bandwagon fan is one who switches sides because the new side wins more than the old side. If you are a fan of any team for your whole life then you cannot possibly be bandwagon.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Well, you have every right to disagree. But I don't call it being bandwagon.

That could possibly be front-running but that's quite different. A person is free to choose whatever team they like. They may like their style, they may like a player, they may have family in the team's area, heck they may even like the colors.

A bandwagon fan is one who switches sides because the new side wins more than the old side. If you are a fan of any team for your whole life then you cannot possibly be bandwagon.
    I think you're right. Haha in that case you're just on a different wagon!
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

I've been a lurker on this forum all year now and decided to voice my opinion on a topic that I feel is a big issue on this forum. They are a small minority, but certain Pacer fans have said some truly disgusting things about these so-called "bandwagoners."

The mindset on this forum seems to be that everyone is a hardcore fan. That is far from the reality. Some people know next to nothing about basketball but still have a good time watching a game now and then anyway. And who are they likely to root for? Probably the team with the buzz, flashy moves, and rings. I certainly don't blame them. These fans are generally going to root for the Durants, Lebrons, and Kobes, and it isn't hard to understand where they are coming from in my opinion. I myself am a Laker fan *gasp*. I have spent all 23 of my years in Southern California and grew up watching Kobe and Shaq on TV. That said, I have watched more Pacers games this season than any other team's. I would be happy with them winning it all because I realize they have something special and I think they are a great group of guys. I know my nostalgia for the Lakers instills me with bias, but does that make me less of a real fan?

Even though I always admire the Spurs' persistence and talent, I know they won't be the team most root for. I was cheering them on last year when most everyone I knew wanted the Thunder to come out on top in the WCF. The Spurs play fundamental basketball. They don't have celebrity personas. They don't get a lot of showtime on the highlight reels. I'm okay being in the minority and don't hate on anyone who roots for the popular club.

In summary: Don't take it personally. The casual fans have their reasons. And you know what? A lot of these fans root for the local team "just because" too.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JoyDivisi0n For This Useful Post:

Absolutely.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Mood

I definite it as someone who switches teams all the time based on who is the favorite, or who has more wins, or more super stars. If someone is born in Indiana and chooses the lakers to support from the beginning and never changes that then I count them as a true fan. However someone that just started being a laker fan cuz Dwight and Nash then bandwagon. Also when Kobe retires and they switch teams to say the heat or something, bandwagon. People call me a bandwagon Yankees fan, but I've liked them since I was 8 years old.

Or we could just put the term bandwagoner in the dictionary as Miami Heat fan.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:

The only sports team I love and root for that is from my home state is the Green Bay Packers.

I could care less about the Bucks and the Brewers. I am a Pacers and an Angels fan.

I chose those allegiances a LONG time ago (20+ years), and could explain if it were relevant, which it really isn't.

I've been a fan of those teams in years they were Champions, legitimate contenders, average-at-best and lottery teams.

My support has not been any greater or lesser depending on which of those situations one of my teams has been in that particular year.

If anyone calls me a bandwagon fan of any of those teams, there would be words exchanged.

Just because there is a local team where you grew up, does not make you beholden to root for them. If you like a different team for whatever reason, and hold that allegiance throughout the rest of your sports-fan life... You're not a bandwagon fan. You're a fan.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    The only sports team I love and root for that is from my home state is the Green Bay Packers.

I could care less about the Bucks and the Brewers. I am a Pacers and an Angels fan.

I chose those allegiances a LONG time ago (20+ years), and could explain if it were relevant, which it really isn't.

I've been a fan of those teams in years they were Champions, legitimate contenders, average-at-best and lottery teams.

My support has not been any greater or lesser depending on which of those situations one of my teams has been in that particular year.

If anyone calls me a bandwagon fan of any of those teams, there would be words exchanged.

Why did you choose not to support the Bucks and Brewers? Why did you decide to support the Angels and Pacers?
    @qandrews9428

Why did you choose not to support the Bucks and Brewers? Why did you decide to support the Angels and Pacers?
    I lived in California for a couple years when I was ~4-6 years old. I had relatives who were big Angels fans, and I got to see games.

My Dad used to be a paramedic and knew Gene Autry personally when he owned the Angels, I was told all kinds of cool stories.

It was something that came naturally to me.

I fell in love with the Pacers as a byproduct of Reggie Miller, who was a "So Cal" guy, which at the time I thought was really cool. He also went to UCLA, which again was really cool to me as a little kid.

When I was super young I was a Reggie fan first and a Pacers fan second, but obviously, as I matured a bit that quickly went away and now despite Reggie being long gone and in the Hall of Fame, I still live and die by the Pacers. Always have, always will.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

When you show up outside the arena with brand new Wal Mart jerseys, literally with the tags still attached to them.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    When you show up outside the arena with brand new Wal Mart jerseys, literally with the tags still attached to them.

Right.

Like for example, someone who has been a casual basketball fan all their life, who watches ESPN and sees that Miami is on a 20+ win streak and suddenly goes:
    "Hey wow, you know I've always kinda liked those guys. I hope they keep this up" and then proceeds to cheer like crazy all of a sudden for the Heat... Is a bandwagon fan.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post: