Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Colts-Pats game ever?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Best Colts-Pats game ever?

I say the AFC Championship game in '06-07 year. I was there and I refer to that night as the best night of my life..... tied with the night we won Super Bowl XLI
    "We want Miami"

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Best Colts-Pats game ever?

Full agreement. I was there!

I got a call from a friend of mine who lives in Boston two days before the game. He said he had bought 11 tickets through a link in the NE front office, and he had 10 guys renting an RV and driving to Indy for the game, but they had 1 ticket left and he knew I was a huge Colts fan. I paid $75 for that ticket.

I went to that game at the RCA dome with 10 New England Patriots fans. The entire first half, they were ribbing me and giving me a hard time, because the Pats jumped out to that 21-3 lead at the half. I got 'em back in the 2nd half.

At two points late in that game, first when Addai scored and gave us our first lead of the game at 38-34, and then when Marlin Jackson intercepted Brady to end their hopes --- it hit absolute white noise level in that stadium. Absolute white noise. I've never heard or felt anything like it. You could "feel" the place shaking... the building, the air, everything. Twenty years of frustration and disappointment were vented by 60,000 people all at once. Random strangers were hugging in the aisles.

Greatest Colts game I've seen or attended. The NE fans I went with left dejected, but were really fun guys who were class acts. They congratulated me on the way out.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 11-13-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's obviously the AFC Championship game in 06-07. Best sporting event I've ever attended in person. 4th and 2 was great too. Obviously Patriots fans wouldn't have those as their top two. If I were guessing, I'd say that their favorite game would be in the 04-05 divisional round when they held the high octane Colts offense to 3 points. That was the Manning 49 year. That was a tough loss to take. "Super Bowl 41 1/2" at the Dome between the two undefeated teams was great too. Just wish it had ended differently.

It's kind of a shame that Manning and Brady haven't met in the playoffs since the AFC Championship game.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 11-13-2012 at 12:52 PM.

The AFC Championship game was the best.

But 4th and 2 was the funniest.

EDIT: To expand on 4th and 2, I watched this game with a couple friends at Yogi's in Bloomington. I was well, pretty hammered, by the time 4th quarter rolled around and when BB was debating if he should go for it, I screamed out to the whole bar that the smug ******* was finally going to bite off more than he could chew and get what was coming to him and he was about to look like a colossal jackass. Whole bar just kind of looked at me, and then the play happened and everyone started high fiveing me. Just a hilarious moment, I was in tears from laughing at BB so hard. I don't care what the "odds" say like everyone tried to argue the next day, that was one of the single dumbest coaching moves I have ever seen in pro sports.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 11-13-2012 at 03:54 PM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Oh, this thread brings back some bad memories....

My ex-GF and I went to the 11/15/09 game in Lucas. That was the game where BB decided to go for it on 4th and 2 in Colts territory.

To make a long story short, we hadn't eaten all day and as time kept ticking by we, and by we I mean her, kept getting more and more antsy. She didn't want to eat at the game, but by the time the fourth qtr rolled around she decided that eating there was fine. Except they closed everything down. After NE kicked the field goal to go up 13 with 4mins left we, and by we I mean her, decided that beating the traffic and getting some food was priority #1. About half way to my truck, both of our phones start blowing up with calls and texts.

Should have known you never count out Peyton until the final horn, but after that night, it's something I'll never forget.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh, this thread brings back some bad memories....

My ex-GF and I went to the 11/15/09 game in Lucas. That was the game where BB decided to go for it on 4th and 2 in Colts territory.

To make a long story short, we hadn't eaten all day and as time kept ticking by we, and by we I mean her, kept getting more and more antsy. She didn't want to eat at the game, but by the time the fourth qtr rolled around she decided that eating there was fine. Except they closed everything down. After NE kicked the field goal to go up 13 with 4mins left we, and by we I mean her, decided that beating the traffic and getting some food was priority #1. About half way to my truck, both of our phones start blowing up with calls and texts.

Should have known you never count out Peyton until the final horn, but after that night, it's something I'll never forget.
    Yeah, I remember thinking "I can't believe I paid 160 bucks for a nosebleed to watch this."

billbradley

I was at the same game as Since and Sollozzo. My dad and I were 10 rows up. Growing up, my dad and I went to a lot of games, mostly Pacers. He would always want to leave early if it looked like the game was over. I, of course, being a kid would always want to stay. Welp, to this day I still have never left a game early, I don't know why, I think if you're a fan you should sit through the bad times too. So my dad is a huge Colts fan and he is getting really upset about the game. Finally, he says "we're going." I told him there's no way. We have really good seats and we have no idea what could happen. He's not even paying attention to me, still getting his things together to leave. I then told him to put his little binoculars bag back down because this is Peyton freaking Manning, we have no idea what we could miss. He said I was right and sat down. I believe that was the first time he ever said I was right about anything and actually listened to me. Thank God Peyton delivered. After the game my dad kept thanking me for making him stay.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

The Colts and Patriots were in the same division prior to the realignments before the 2002 season. Had the NFL not done the realignments, Manning and Brady would have been playing each other twice every season.

The AFC Championship game is by far the best football game i've ever watched. Of course that is a biased opinion, but I felt so good after that game. Honestly, that game had a greater effect on me than the super bowl. I was just so tired of watching the Pats beat the Colts in the playoffs.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:

The '09 game is my personal fave. I was downtown watching the game with some friends, including my close friend and roommate at the time who is a Pats fan. She talked a lot of **** throughout most of the game. Needless to say, she was a lot less vocal at the end.

One of my favorite ones was one we lost, I believe the last one they played. We were getting killed in the first half but Peyton was storming back. Everytime they showed belicheat's face he looked scared s***less and was ready to hurl. It was at that point I knew that Peyton owned his ***.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    One of my favorite ones was one we lost, I believe the last one they played. We were getting killed in the first half but Peyton was storming back. Everytime they showed belicheat's face he looked scared s***less and was ready to hurl. It was at that point I knew that Peyton owned his ***.

The one two years ago where Peyton threw that pick in the endzone?

Ugh, what a frustrating finish.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

The game where Luck leads a 4th qtr drive to take the lead and win the game in his first ever trip to Foxboro...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

AFC Title Game here in Indy nothing will ever come close

Although I did enjoy 4th and 2 but that was mostly for the Pats fans reactions I watched on YouTube... hysterical.

Obviously it's gotta be the AFC Chamiponship game. Regular Season, 4th and 2.

For the Pats wins...Maybe that Willie Mcginnist phantom injury and goal line stand?

Marlin Jackson's INT in 2006 caused me to jump high enough that I probably could have dunked on a regulation height basket. Its still the only time that I've ever found myself at eye level with an EXIT sign hung from a ceiling....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

2004 playoffs, Good Guys 20, Colts 3 was my favorite

2003 playoffs, 24-14 was great too

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I see no one has mentioned the two regular season victories at Foxboro in the 2005 and 2006 seasons. In 2005 we absolutely bulldozed them on Monday night (the last season where Monday Night was on ABC). That was Manning's first victory against Brady-Belichick. 06 was fun too on Sunday Night Football. That's when Harrison spiked the ball at Vrabel.

That 2005 Colts team was without question the best Colts team I've ever seen. There really wasn't a flaw on that team. You had a 29 year old Manning in the prime of his career. You had Harrison and Wayne in prime form. You still had Edge. You had Clark. You had a very solid defense as Sanders was healthy and went to the Pro Bowl. You had Mathis, Freeney, etc. When one thinks of the 05 season, they naturally think of the Pittsburgh loss. But that Colts team absolutely dominated the regular season.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Full agreement. I was there!

I got a call from a friend of mine who lives in Boston two days before the game. He said he had bought 11 tickets through a link in the NE front office, and he had 10 guys renting an RV and driving to Indy for the game, but they had 1 ticket left and he knew I was a huge Colts fan. I paid $75 for that ticket.

I went to that game at the RCA dome with 10 New England Patriots fans. The entire first half, they were ribbing me and giving me a hard time, because the Pats jumped out to that 21-3 lead at the half. I got 'em back in the 2nd half.

At two points late in that game, first when Addai scored and gave us our first lead of the game at 38-34, and then when Marlin Jackson intercepted Brady to end their hopes --- it hit absolute white noise level in that stadium. Absolute white noise. I've never heard or felt anything like it. You could "feel" the place shaking... the building, the air, everything. Twenty years of frustration and disappointment were vented by 60,000 people all at once. Random strangers were hugging in the aisles.

Greatest Colts game I've seen or attended. The NE fans I went with left dejected, but were really fun guys who were class acts. They congratulated me on the way out.
    I started crying when Marlin picked off Brady
    "We want Miami"

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I see no one has mentioned the two regular season victories at Foxboro in the 2005 and 2006 seasons. In 2005 we absolutely bulldozed them on Monday night (the last season where Monday Night was on ABC). That was Manning's first victory against Brady-Belichick. 06 was fun too on Sunday Night Football. That's when Harrison spiked the ball at Vrabel.

That 2005 Colts team was without question the best Colts team I've ever seen. There really wasn't a flaw on that team. You had a 29 year old Manning in the prime of his career. You had Harrison and Wayne in prime form. You still had Edge. You had Clark. You had a very solid defense as Sanders was healthy and went to the Pro Bowl. You had Mathis, Freeney, etc. When one thinks of the 05 season, they naturally think of the Pittsburgh loss. But that Colts team absolutely dominated the regular season.
    Until we played Pittsburgh, there was no flaw. I say the 2009 Colts team was my favorite for a whole season, but the 2006 team, obviously won the Super Bowl, but the way they came together in the playoffs, especially the defense, is something truly special.
    "We want Miami"

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    Until we played Pittsburgh, there was no flaw. I say the 2009 Colts team was my favorite for a whole season, but the 2006 team, obviously won the Super Bowl, but the way they came together in the playoffs, especially the defense, is something truly special.

09 was great too. I loved watching one of the greatest ever pull out win after win for a team that clearly wasn't as talented as it had been in previous years. I just wish 09 didn't have such a bitter ending to it against New Orleans. That Super Bowl still stings a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    09 was great too. I loved watching one of the greatest ever pull out win after win for a team that clearly wasn't as talented as it had been in previous years. I just wish 09 didn't have such a bitter ending to it against New Orleans. That Super Bowl still stings a bit.
    Yeah it does because we were the better team than the Saints. The Saints had what the Colts have now, inspiration. They had it because of the Hurricane a few years back and they wanted to win the Super Bowl for the city. That Colts team would have beaten the Saints 9 times out of 10. I still wish we would have played Minnesota, because I wasn't sure our defense could match up to Brees' basketball on grass (Purdue reference) Saints' offense. They did a great job throughout the game, but the offense just couldn't put points on the board in the fourth.
    "We want Miami"

I was at the title game too! Easily one of the best moments of my life. Such a dramatic change from being at the Pitt game a year before, where the whole stadium felt deflated and empty. Almost unreal to remember, the difference a year made. You could feel the whole stadium getting that monkey off their back.

I was at the 4th and 2 game as well, but we left early. Heard the play on someone's car radio as we were walking to the parking lot. Peyton loves to burn the doubters.

I also feel that after that title game Peyton no longer had any fear at all for Belichick. Even when they beat us, you could tell that Peyton flat out did not fear the man, and he expected to beat him every time. I loved seeing that confidence, and really those are some of my favorite memories of Peyton: supreme self-assuredness in the face of the man who once seemed to have him "figured out."

Worst colts memories: anything related to our struggles with the biggest jokes in the AFC, the San Diego Chargers. I don't even . . .
    Last edited by SoupIsGood; 11-17-2012 at 12:16 AM.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

32. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    I was at the title game too! Easily one of the best moments of my life. Such a dramatic change from being at the Pitt game a year before, where the whole stadium felt deflated and empty. Almost unreal to remember, the difference a year made. You could feel the whole stadium getting that monkey off their back.

I was at the 4th and 2 game as well, but we left early. Heard the play on someone's car radio as we were walking to the parking lot. Peyton loves to burn the doubters.

I also feel that after that title game Peyton no longer had any fear at all for Belichick. Even when they beat us, you could tell that Peyton flat out did not fear the man, and he expected to beat him every time. I loved seeing that confidence, and really those are some of my favorite memories of Peyton: supreme self-assuredness in the face of the man who once seemed to have him "figured out."

Worst colts memories: anything related to our struggles with the biggest jokes in the AFC, the San Diego Chargers. I don't even . . .

Yeah I would rank the title game as one of the best moments of my life too. Regardless of what I attend in the future, there's no way I could ever attend anything as special as that AFC game against New England.

The Chargers losses are just disgusting. No one else in the AFC ever had any problem beating them in the playoffs except for us. Pittsburgh, New England, and the Jets were able to beat them. We were the only team that struggled with them. The worst fact concerning the Manning era is that we were eliminated by the Chargers two straight years after winning our Super Bowl. It's one thing to lose to Pitt or NE because you can respect them as elite championship teams. But losing to SD twice in a row was just a joke.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

The AFCCG is arguably the best game in Indianapolis sports history, and yes I would put it above 8 points 9 seconds.

The other memory I have is when Marvin made that amazing catch at Foxboro and managed to keep his feet in bounds. What's funny is when that happened I was probably as drunk as I've ever been in my life with some fat sorority girl trying to hook up with me, but still I somehow remember seeing that play as it happened and knew even in that state that it was an amazing catch. However I felt like absolute crap the next day but I always chuckle when I see the replay of that catch, remember where I was at that time.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post: