Thread: Lakers Hire D'Antoni

Naptown Born and Raised Blackhawk4's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

Default Re: Lakers Hire D'Antoni

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There goes the Lakers defense.
    You must have not seen any of the lakers game this season....It was never there to begin with.

Something in the back of my mind makes me want to think a reason why they didn't hire Phil Jackson was because of Jim Buss and that little....displeasure among those two, but it seems to be a bit of a stretch.
    Last edited by Blackhawk4; 11-12-2012 at 10:54 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackhawk4 For This Useful Post:

Maybe they could have kept Brown for the defense and let D'Antoni run the offense?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

There goes the Lakers defense.
    Jeff Van Gundy said that statements about D'Antoni not being able to coach a good defense is inaccurate. He also said that defense is more about your player personnel than the coach.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8622897

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think D'Antoni is going to be a great fit for the Lakers. Kobe respects him, Dwight will be a beast in an uptempo offense, Gasol's passing and catch-and-shoot talents will be maximized, and Nash will look like the MVP candidate that he's been for the past 6-7 years. And all of the talk that he coaches poor defensive teams is "just a bunch of stuff." His teams have been average, and sometimes below-average, but never at the bottom of the pack. His offense is just worlds beyond his defense.

This is a great signing by the Lakers and serious trouble for everyone else in the West.

6. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Banned

I like it, finally, D'antoni is going to even make bench players like Blake serviceable again, according to reports D'antoni told people that next times he coaches he is going to bring a defensive coordinator, I now expect this team to destroy people and finally Nash is going to be in his element

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Jeff Van Gundy said that statements about D'Antoni not being able to coach a good defense is inaccurate. He also said that defense is more about your player personnel than the coach.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8622897
    I am not saying he doesn't know how to coach - my point is he doesn't put enough emphasis on it. Look at the Knicks team right now compared to when he was the coach last season . Woodson has them playing defense

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am not saying he doesn't know how to coach - my point is he doesn't put enough emphasis on it. Look at the Knicks team right now compared to when he was the coach last season . Woodson has them playing defense
    That had more to do with the Knicks' roster being ill-fitting as a whole (but mostly on offense). Melo clearly didn't like or respect D'Antoni and didn't work hard for him. He likes that Woodson gives him the ISO greenlight so he is actually giving a crap on D.

I don't blame D'Antoni one bit for how things went in New York. First he took on a bare cupboard, then he had to try to convince Melo to play in a system.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Would have been the person I picked. You have Nash, you don't waste him on the triangle. And I'm sure D'Antoni can work his system around the players he has.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Banned

Now that I think about it if Amare was a beast in D'antoni's offense I expect Gasol to be also great, is there another big man that can do the things Gasol can do? play up tempo an the Gasol to Howard alley oop plays are going to be crazy.

Lakers still need to trade somebody for some shooter though.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Maybe they could have kept Brown for the defense and let D'Antoni run the offense?
    Is that like your wife saying you can still be the husband during the day, but this other guy will get nighttime duties?
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 11-12-2012 at 03:51 PM.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Now that I think about it if Amare was a beast in D'antoni's offense I expect Gasol to be also great, is there another big man that can do the things Gasol can do? play up tempo an the Gasol to Howard alley oop plays are going to be crazy.

Lakers still need to trade somebody for some shooter though.
    Gasol is the only person outside of Kobe, DH and Nash that people would want.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Is like your wife saying you can still be the husband during the day, but this other guy will get nighttime duties?
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Banned

Steve Blake is going to look amazing in D'antoni's offense, I'm a Blake fan and Brown was making him look like crap.

That is not true at all. No head coach is
    I think maybe Joe was going for the famous JOB quote about Hibbert?

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    ...If Melo, a volume scorer and a dominant ball-hog, didn't work well with D'Antoni, then all the more with Kobe.....
    Maybe. But there is a mile of difference between Anthony and Bryant.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I like it, finally, D'antoni is going to even make bench players like Blake serviceable again, according to reports D'antoni told people that next times he coaches he is going to bring a defensive coordinator, I now expect this team to destroy people and finally Nash is going to be in his element
    You crack me up.

The only difference between D'Antoni & O'Brien is the mustache. If O'Brien is the worst coach you have ever seen then D'Antoni is worst coach "A" that you have ever seen.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    You crack me up.

The only difference between D'Antoni & O'Brien is the mustache. If O'Brien is the worst coach you have ever seen then D'Antoni is worst coach "A" that you have ever seen.

D'Antoni is not JOB, D'Antoni is a pretty good coach, just watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    You crack me up.

Disagree completely.

They both like offenses that are uptempo and "space the floor" but that's where the comparison ends. (And that was the least of the issues with Jimmy.)

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post

D'Antoni has a lower winning percentage than the coach they just got rid of. This move is laughable and it all boils down to the ego of Buss. How many titles does D'Antoni have again? How many does Jackson have? They will be sorry.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hasn't D'Antoni been quoted as saying that he hates posting anyone up because it clogs up the lane? If so, that removes a huge advantage of every starter outside of Nash (even Artest has become pretty decent posting up). I'm not sure I see the fit in a team that is very advanced in age, with no depth to speak of, sprinting up and down the court all game long. All that said, they have too much talent to suck no matter who coaches the team, so it won't really matter until it gets to Finals time.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1...iewMode=single
    by Sam Amick, USA TODAY Sports

Published: 11/12/2012 06:14pm

LOS ANGELES - Kurt Rambis was on the outside looking in on Monday afternoon, the former Laker standing in his suit at the edge of the practice facility parking lot and doing his day job as commentator for his old team's television network.

As late as Sunday night, Rambis thought he would be in a different situation, one in which the longtime Lakers assistant would be on the inside again - making the news instead of covering it.

All signs over the weekend had pointed to Phil Jackson coming out of retirement to coach the Lakers for a third time, and Rambis had been talking with his old friend for days about joining him as an assistant. Instead, the Lakers made the decision late Sunday night to hire Mike D'Antoni to replace the fired Mike Brown, and Rambis - along with the rest of the Laker Nation - was stunned.

"They had told Phil that it was his job (in a Saturday interview), that he was their first choice, and they agreed to wait until Monday - today - to allow him time to digest whether or not he felt he was, in fact, the right coach to come and coach this team," Rambis told USA TODAY Sports. "And, in fact, his agent (Todd Musburger) flew into town - he's here from Chicago - to start negotiations. So Phil had made his mind up that he wanted to coach this team. Somewhere between Saturday afternoon, when Phil and I had a conversation, and Sunday night, the Laker organization made a complete 180-degree turn."

Rambis' view is that someone convinced Lakers management that D'Antoni's run-and-gun, pick-and-roll heavy system was a better fit for the roster of star-studded talent than Jackson's triangle that had won 11 NBA titles -- five of those with L.A. There were no answers to be had at the Lakers facility, as general manager Mitch Kupchak nor Vice President Jim Buss were made available to the media.

As for reports that Jackson had simply asked for too much in the the negotiations - be it travel privileges because of his health, complete control of the team's roster or even partial ownership of the team - Rambis emphatically denied that was the case.

"No money was discussed," said Rambis, the former Minnesota Timberwolves head coach who was expected to rejoin Jim Cleamons on Jackson's staff. "All of these things that are out there about partial ownership, and lack of travel, and no practice time - all of that stuff is categorically false. None of those conversations ever happened. Ever. It was about whether or not he wanted to come and coach the team."

Rambis, who was filing live reports from the facility for Time Warner on Monday, disagrees with the notion that Jackson would not have been the best fit for this group of future Hall of Famers.

"If you're talking about having success and having this team and someone who knows how to guide a team to an NBA title, Phil is that guy," he said. "There's no second, third, fourth or fifth choice at this point in time. He's that guy. I don't know if Jim Buss knows one system from another in terms of how it fits with players, or what works best for players, or what's the difference between them. I don't know if he really understands that, so a lot of times decisions are made on gut feelings and with outside sources that have an influence on it."

And as Rambis noted, anything short of a championship - or at least an NBA Finals appearance - might have a ripple effect on the future of free-agent-to-be Dwight Howard this summer.

"The other thing that this organization has to keep in mind, is that if things don't work out really well here, and Dwight Howard's not happy, he's a free agent," Rambis said. "He could leave, and that would be disastrous for the imminent future of this team. I think you can see that there's a lot of pressure on this organization to win, and ultimately that's what you have to do. And Phil has been the coach in recent history who's had the most success here."
    Whatever grudge Jimmy Buss has against Phil, I like it!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Sports Logo

If Phil's side of the story is true - that he wasn't asking for all those things that the media put out to justify choosing D'Antoni instead - then the Lakers really screwed this one up. Good job, Jim Buss.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Kuq_e_Zi91 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good, the Lakers won't win the championship then this year!

Sorry but D'Antoni doesn't play championship winning basketball. Not only did the knicks get better on defense once he was fired, they were better period. Look at what always happened to PHX in the playoffs. Those teams were stacked too. But they couldn't stack up to LA or SA because their style. So unless D'Antoni is making some changes to how he coaches, LA won't be winning anything.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Disagree completely.

They both like offenses that are uptempo and "space the floor" but that's where the comparison ends. (And that was the least of the issues with Jimmy.)
    Well, have Steve Nash run the offense compared to Darren Collison and it will look completely different. JOB and D'Antoni are very similar coaches when it comes to X's and O's. Locker room is probably a different story as JOB seemed to be a bit of a nightmare in there.