Thread: Which asst. coaches could help our offense?

Default Which asst. coaches could help our offense?

Outside of a 15 game span at the end of last season, our offense has been pretty bad for years. I think we've been getting by on talent since last season but it looks like the book is out on our roster/gameplan.

I see a few people asking for a change but it's not that simple, so I ask these questions:

-Which coaches could help our offense?
    -Who are the best offensive assistant coaches?
    -What are the easiest offensive systems to learn?
    -Which systems would work best with our talent?
    -What, if anything, would you change about our current plan (rotations, style, etc.)?

I have a few thoughts but I'd like to hear what others think.
    Last edited by imawhat; 11-14-2012 at 01:39 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Which asst. coaches could help our offense?

I honestly think the system Rick Adelman is running with the T-Wolves would be absolutely perfect for us. It's got lots of off-ball screening that allows for the wings to either spring out to the 3pt line or make back-cuts to the basket, so you either get an easy layup or your bigs are already set up on the block if the initial pick n roll doesn't work. I'd say it fits our personnel exactly.

Anyone that promotes passing.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I don't think it's the coaching or system... and in any case you can't expect the Pacers to change offensive systems on the fly.

Honestly, I think we need a scorer or 2. We lost Granger (injury), Collison (trade), and Roy (MIA), and the rest of the team just hasn't been able to make it up offensively. Maybe just throw Lance and Orlando out there for stretches and tell them to chuck away? I don't have any answers either.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think it's the coaching or system... and in any case you can't expect the Pacers to change offensive systems on the fly.

Honestly, I think we need a scorer or 2. We lost Granger (injury), Collison (trade), and Roy (MIA), and the rest of the team just hasn't been able to make it up offensively. Maybe just throw Lance and Orlando out there for stretches and tell them to chuck away? I don't have any answers either.
    I agree. The best system in the world is not going to help this bunch. Playing Lance more is a start, but depending on him to replace Danny and/or DC is tough. His lack of experience makes it all too likely for the extra minutes to be detrimental to his development as well as the teams success. I would like to see more of him at the point. Mainly to get Hill some shots at the 2. Hill can shoot and the Pacers need shooting.

I totally agree with you about changing coaches/system. There is nothing in their play that suggests the guys on this team can learn a new system any better than they do the one they play now. I suspect the simplicity of the system is a function of the players trying to play it, rather than a desired design feature.