Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: There was an explosion in a SouthSide Neighborhood last night

Default Re: There was an explosion in a SouthSide Neighborhood last night

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is kind of a stupid question, but I know nothing about this type of stuff.

We just bought our first home, and we had to get insurance.
    Good for you! Welcome to the American dream.

I am assuming that is what this people were trying to scam. How does that work? Do insurance companies really just pay people off if the house burns down? Do they do intensive investigations?
    Yes to all questions. Not sure how intensive the investigations are though. Odd occurrences will set off red flags but if your TV antenna got hit by lightning and the TV caught fire and the house burned the investigation will normally be fairly cut and dried. It's expensive for insurance companies to do investigations so depending on the payout size and circumstances, and findings of local law enforcement, there might not be much more of an investigation other than rubber stamping local law enforcement's findings. Then again, if you have an inordinate amount of coverage for personal property inside the home then you're into red flag territory to see the investigation ramped up. The more odd the circumstances and the more payout involved the more likely the investigation to be more intensive.

Do people pull scams like this a lot, and do they work?
    I'd say as to whether it happens a lot, yes, but that is a relative term. Do they work? I'm sure to some degree they do but it's hard to answer that question properly because when they do work how will we know? We'll have our suspicions and maybe a friend of a friend will say something and tip us off.

and how the hell do you board the family pet and not expect that to set off red flags?
    These people were pretty stupid and people died and have their lives turned upside down due to their stupidity.
    Last edited by Bball; 12-22-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    While these people put themselves squarely into the criminal trash category I couldn't support the death penalty here. Life in prison, sure...
    While the outcome of the crime was horrendous I assume they had no intentions of killing anyone. The death penalty, if we have it at all, should be reserved for people who kill with intent.
    Honestly, if you're blowing up your house and you didn't consider the possibility that someone could be killed then you are too stupid to live anyway.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This is kind of a stupid question, but I know nothing about this type of stuff.

We just bought our first home, and we had to get insurance.

I am assuming that is what this people were trying to scam. How does that work? Do insurance companies really just pay people off if the house burns down? Do they do intensive investigations?

Do people pull scams like this a lot, and do they work?

and how the hell do you board the family pet and not expect that to set off red flags?
    Pretty much all criminal investigations are carried out by the state and Federal agencies depending on how big the mess is.

People can get away with it if they know what the investigators look for ie tampering of the valves, accelerants used, burn patterns on the floor, wiring and timing devices. Dogs are used mostly to find ines or enes which is gasoline, kerosene etc since their noses can pick it up. There is a way around the dogs but I won't give details since that would be stupid right.

Quite a few people who try to burn down their house do something stupid like taking valueables out before lighting the fire or removing the contents of a safe. There was one case where a guy even removed his cabinets,,LOL.

When I first saw the report I thought it was pipe line that burst because normally damage that large is the result of ruptured main. Its tragic that people lost their lives over 300,000 dollars.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Normally it's easy to find the origin area for a fire. Burn/smoke patterns on a wall is an indication...look for a fan shape, the narrow point of the fan is closest to the starting point. Odd thing.......a lightbulb will melt in the direction of the heat (although that was 30 years ago so things may have changed). There are instruments that we refered to as sniffers capable of finding more than just the ines and enes....but the dogs are highly effective. Not sure of today but in my day ANY injury elevated Arson to a felony (it wasn't then, is it now?) so firemen often reported an injury and the investigation was thus elevated. And yes, insurance investigators do a very thorough investigation. I know of one incident of an accidental garage burn that they refused to pay because of a sign they found indicating it was a body shop. The sign had been a gag gift from friends but they didn't see it as funny.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If you scam your insurance, you're setting yourself up for higher premiums later on down the road. Everytime they pay out, you either get bumped up in risk or you get surcharges.

Small claims, under $5000 for us, is usually handled in office but anything higher than that automatically goes to the claims center, who make sure i's are dotted and t's are crossed.

You could easily scam your insurance company for a couple thousand dollars, report a break-in, get a police report, and then turn it into your insurance and just lie about what you have. (you don't have to turn in an itemized list of possessions so it's easy to do) but just know that you'll be paying a lot higher insurance later on on a home/car, than you normally would have.

Insurance companies very rarely lose.

And no, switching companies doesn't really matter. We use loss history reports, so if you have a $10,000 claim with one company and then switch to another, your new company will bump up your rates based off of that $10,000 claim accordingly. It might be higher or lower, just depends on each company, but they are taking it into account.
    Last edited by Since86; 12-28-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I used to want to be a firefighters. Then i realized i couldnt so blood and needles (funnily enough my first aid and cpr course through work last year was taught via a emt/firefighter. Fascinating course) Posts like these above just re kindle my interest in fire. Its a fascinating beast

thanks all for your replies.

I'm actually a firefighter on the southside of Indy (Not IFD) and as stated above, its incredibly simple to find an ignition source with the right tools and knowledge.

Add to it IFD has some great Arson/Fire Investigators.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!