Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pacers Wizards Post Game Thread

Default Re: Pacers Wizards Post Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Two of the Pacers' recent second-round picks, A.J. Price and Lance Stephenson, started in this game (due to injuries to starters). I don't know what to make of that. Good drafting by the front office, I guess?
    We're currently paying Stephenson under 1 million/year, and we have an option on him next year at that amount. I would definitely call that good drafting. He certainly hasn't hurt us in any way.

Looks like Boylen laid into Paul George after the TWolves game, and Paul took it to heart. Certainly looked like a different player after this game from my eyes at least.

I still think he's got what it takes to be truly special, with the right coaching and support. With some more upper body strength, he can move into Granger's role IMO.

The bigger happy circumstance is that Stephenson is leveraging his opportunity to make his case to be a contributing guard alongside Hill. My favorite time spectating all season has been when Stephenson/Hill are on the floor.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    Looks like Boylen laid into Paul George after the TWolves game
    I missed this. What happened exactly?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to focused444 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    Looks like Boylen laid into Paul George after the TWolves game, and Paul took it to heart. Certainly looked like a different player after this game from my eyes at least.

I still think he's got what it takes to be truly special, with the right coaching and support. With some more upper body strength, he can move into Granger's role IMO.The bigger happy circumstance is that Stephenson is leveraging his opportunity to make his case to be a contributing guard alongside Hill. My favorite time spectating all season has been when Stephenson/Hill are on the floor.
    Maybe someday.

But if this season has taught us nothing else it is that Danny Granger is very hard to replace and no Paul George can't do it. I'll be polite & say yet, but in my mind I don't think he can do what Danny can do. He can do other things Danny could never do but Danny has the mindset of a killer & Paul just doesn't. There is nothing wrong with that btw, I think they compliment each other very well.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

By the way, Tyler was great as well. If he hadn't missed those free throws, it would have been another solid A game from him.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by focused444 View Post
    I missed this. What happened exactly?
    There was a report on Cornrows. Not sure it's the same one doc is referring to:

http://www.indycornrows.com/2012/11/...oad-for-pacers

George also looked different with the ball in his hands -- more confident and appearing to have a plan with the ball in his hands. After making his first shot, PG knocked down smooth a one-dribble pull-up that reeked of confidence. Something that has been absent in George's offensive game for much of the early season.

"I prepared a little differently for tonight," George said. "And it work. I came in here a little earlier, got a lift in and gotta lot of shots up. I sat down with the coaches and kind of talked a little bit and I was just out there being aggressive."

The frustrations of the early season losses and lack of consistent play pushed George to change things up. He's been anything but efficient with the ball in his hands, instead turning it over too much and missing forced shots.

"I've been frustrated all season long," George said. "Shots aren't going down, I'm getting good looks but just couldn't knock the shots down so I had to switch something up and it worked, I guess."

George hashed things out with assistant coach Jim Boylen who stressed being more efficient with his play at both ends of the court. PG took the straight talk as constructive criticism as an opportunity to learn and get better.

There's two ways you can interpret it," George said. "And I took is as, while I'm out there I've cot to make the most of what coach is giving me."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    By the way, Tyler was great as well. If he hadn't missed those free throws, it would have been another solid A game from him.
    This has been a great start for Tyler. Hopefully it'll be the "kick" he needed to get back to the offensive groove.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Maybe someday.

But if this season has taught us nothing else it is that Danny Granger is very hard to replace and no Paul George can't do it. I'll be polite & say yet, but in my mind I don't think he can do what Danny can do. He can do other things Danny could never do but Danny has the mindset of a killer & Paul just doesn't. There is nothing wrong with that btw, I think they compliment each other very well.
    Paul has it in him, he just hasn't fully embraced it yet.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Paul has it in him, he just hasn't fully embraced it yet.
    What makes you so sure? Not tryna be an a$$ and am asking your honest opinion. But aside from his words, we haven't seen many hints from him that he has "IT" in him. Being an all around talent like Iggy, is diff than being a number one scoring option on a good team. I feel PG has shown an acceptance/willingness to be a jack of all trades, master of none.

I love what PG brings to the table, but I'm curious why some think he can turn into a 20ppg type of scorer.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    What makes you so sure? Not tryna be an a$$ and am asking your honest opinion. But aside from his words, we haven't seen many hints from him that he has "IT" in him. Being an all around talent like Iggy, is diff than being a number one scoring option on a good team. I feel PG has shown an acceptance/willingness to be a jack of all trades, master of none.

I love what PG brings to the table, but I'm curious why some think he can turn into a 20ppg type of scorer.
    As far as the 20ppg scorer part, it is because he is very smooth on offense and athletic. He has all the tools necessary to average 20+ppg. Now I view him more like Reggie where he is more of an 18ppg type of player.

Onto the original question.
    George isn't like Granger or West. Where Granger and West have fire, George has ice. Players like George tend to be not as obvious with their emotions. Add to it George wants to be a team player. He has some inner conflict going on, but to me what is very telling is by how comfortable he looks. The times he has looked the most comfortable is when the whole offense has revolved around him. So the beginning of the Toronto game, and when he is given the ball at the end of a quarter to get his own shot. So far he has been deadly at the end of a quarter.

p.s. I re-wrote that a million times, so I hope it got across what I was trying to say.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

As far as the 20ppg scorer part, it is because he is very smooth on offense and athletic. He has all the tools necessary to average 20+ppg. Now I view him more like Reggie where he is more of an 18ppg type of player.

George isn't like Granger or West. Where Granger and West have fire, George has ice. Players like George tend to be not as obvious with their emotions. Add to it George wants to be a team player. He has some inner conflict going on, but to me what is very telling is by how comfortable he looks. The times he has looked the most comfortable is when the whole offense has revolved around him. So the beginning of the Toronto game, and when he is given the ball at the end of a quarter to get his own shot. So far he has been deadly at the end of a quarter.

p.s. I re-wrote that a million times, so I hope it got across what I was trying to say.
    I respect both viewpoints. Neither of us knows what will happen.

It WOULD be interesting to bring up a few more examples of clutch players and what they looked like their first two or three years. And was Reggie really similar to PG or was his future much more obvious in the prologue?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with you on some of that. He has looked pretty good when he was the one passing into the post, looking to get others involved/scoring from the elbow. He just hasn't shown the ability/willingness to do that within ANY other game except against the Wiz. Idk. I want him to have it and I want him to be great, I just wish I had more to go off of.

For example, if Paul had George's (Hill) confidence/mentality, he'd be an all-star. George has always seemed to have that type of mentality, even in his rookie yr on the Spurs, whereas Paul has maybe a handful of games where he's shown that aggressive mentality.

With Paul I think it has less to do with aggressiveness or mentality, as it does confidence. He doesn't seem to have the confidence that what he is doing is what he is supposed to be doing. He isn't a selfish player, he needs to be told that it is good for him to be selfish sometimes. At the same time Vogel needs to realize the best way to use Paul is to run plays designed to get him open shots. He will never be a consistent give him the ball and let him do his thing type of player, that a Rose, LeBron, or to a much lesser extent Granger are, he is more a flow of the offense type of player with a sprinkling of let him do his thing. Those type of players tend to not make as big of splashes, but they can be just as deadly.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Maybe someday.

Quick trigger there Peck. Sheesh, 7 games in Paul's 3rd season with Danny being a surprise absence and Paul rebounding and defending at a better level than Danny's peak.

I don't see the "killer" part coming into play either way. He's yet to wilt or step up. He's still in 2nd or 3rd best guy mode which was his entire career experience until about 2 weeks ago.

Or course since I fully expect a Odd Thoughts rant saying Roy will never get another rebound or 10 point game again in his life, I shouldn't be surprised. You like to ride the roller coaster for sure.

I do agree that Paul and Danny can compliment each other due to the type of game Paul likes playing, a bit more off the dribble and floating for his moment vs Danny's "give me the shot" spot up style. But over time in the void of Danny I think Paul will grow as a scorer. It's just that those things are 30-40 game developments, not 10 days.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Having dumped on Peck a bit, I think we can (and do) all agree that the 8m George Hill got was because the dude has a killer attitude inside him. The last couple of games he's just said "F this" and taken to insanely pushing the ball up court with his dribble and going right into sprinting layups, clearly showing a "well now this is happening" attitude. And it's helping.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post: