Thread: Got to buy a new gas water heater. HELP!

Default Got to buy a new gas water heater. HELP!

Got to buy a new gas water heater. Any suggestions on brand or place to purchase? I currently have a Kenmore Power Miser 6 and have had nothing but issues. Ive been told by a few people to avoid whirlpool. I have a 40 gallon now and seems to be plenty. I am on a budget of $450 max. I know Im asking a lot. Any help would be great.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

Default Re: Got to buy a new gas water heater. HELP!

If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

I've got a Richmond (electric though) going on 10 years. Only issues since I've got very hard water is replacement the lower heating element every 5 years (twice now). Oh and the Richmond came with the house when I bought it new.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

I bought a new Richmond 40 gallon 2 years ago. From Menards.... It works fine, but I noticed right off the bat that the length of time you get hot water past the original forty gallons was not as long as my previous tank. i have no idea why, but if I knew this prior to purchase I would have gotten a 50+ tank. But i take long showers.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've got a Richmond (electric though) going on 10 years. Only issues since I've got very hard water is replacement the lower heating element every 5 years (twice now). Oh and the Richmond came with the house when I bought it new.
    Richmond has been great for me, but I'm in the same boat with the elements. What sucks is when you accidentally flip the breaker back on before the water is above the top element, and dont' realize it until the tank is full.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I bought a new Richmond 40 gallon 2 years ago. From Menards.... It works fine, but I noticed right off the bat that the length of time you get hot water past the original forty gallons was not as long as my previous tank. i have no idea why, but if I knew this prior to purchase I would have gotten a 50+ tank. But i take long showers.
    Thats probably the one Im looking at. Im going to get it on Tuesday, so here's to hoping it all goes smoothly

@LetsTalkPacers

Quote Originally Posted by PD GameBattles 2k13 View Post
    Got to buy a new gas water heater. Any suggestions on brand or place to purchase? I currently have a Kenmore Power Miser 6 and have had nothing but issues. Ive been told by a few people to avoid whirlpool. I have a 40 gallon now and seems to be plenty. I am on a budget of $450 max. I know Im asking a lot. Any help would be great.
    Kenmore does not actually manufacture anything. All the Kenmores you see at Sears (Water heaters, ranges & ovens, refrigerators, etc) are made by other companies and Sears has them badged as Kenmore. Depending on the serial number, they may be made by Whirlpool, Westinghouse, Frigidaire, or other companies.

Now, let me add my own question to what the OP was asking. For those who have experience with both natural gas and electric hot water heaters, which is the most economic to operate?
    Last edited by Tom White; 11-13-2012 at 01:33 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Natural Gas is much more economical to operate and they seem to re-charge much quicker. (although I think the initial cost of a gas powered hot water heater might be a little more than an electric)

Does anyone have a tankless hot water heater?