Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is wrong with Roy?

Banned

Default Re: What is wrong with Roy?

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Roy's problem is our lack of any quality wing players. Good play from your C is primarily a team effort as somebody has to get him the ball in position and yet leave him enough space. We don't have the wing players - especially with Granger out - to make that happen.
    You can have Troy Murphy and Mike Dunleavy to stretch the floor and I don't think anything changes much, Roy's spacing is not the issue.

Sports Logo

when a guy's struggling why is this forum's default reason that the guy is outta shape and just sat around eating cheetos all summer?

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really hope I am wrong here, but...

I wonder if Roy's asthma condition keeps him from being able to get enough oxygen to properly supply larger musculature and weight? Large muscles consume more oxygen than small ones, and I would think they must work harder and consume even more oxygen to move more weight around.

Centers have often had to choose which half of the court to focus on at what points in a game. Could Roy be the same?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    when a guy's struggling why is this forum's default reason that the guy is outta shape and just sat around eating cheetos all summer?
    Hangover from the guy who did just that, along with hanging out with strippers and gangsters.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

One of Roy's problems is that he is now a target for the other teams. One of the reasons he can be a target is our poor shooting from the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I don't buy that, Roy is known for dissapearing for a big portion of the season and as far as I know Danny was playing.
    Maybe the year before last... Last season Roy had mini-funks that only lasted 1-3 games at a time... And he was pretty consistently good for the majority of the season...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

FAO

That stands for Free Agent Overpaiditis.

Having rec'd a max contract isn't something Hibbert can handle. He's too fragile. Toughness isn't his middle name. With that new contract comes great expectations that Mr. Fragilability can't handle. When Hibbert was on a rookie contract, he had a reason to get better. What's his reason to get better now? It sure isn't the money now!

Portland has to be smiling and thankful they didn't get Mr. Fragilability. Hibbert's agent did a fantastic job of overselling Hibbert's ability. Hats off to him, but then it always helps when he's dealing with Walsh. I'm sure PG's agent can't wait to neogiate a new contract with Walsh.

I think its all mental. He has a lot on his plate and isn't handling it well. Pressure to be that max player, asthma likely worse with gaining weight, getting double and triple teamed because no one is making the outside shot. There's a lot of things going wrong with this Pacers team right now, only part of which is Hibberts fault. I would actually put more blame for our losses on D.J Augustine, he's got to be better. The offense as a whole just looks terrible. Can't blame Hibbert for not being able to carry them out of that himself, he attracts a lot of attention already.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ownagedood For This Useful Post:

With Granger out, teams are gameplanning for Roy.

He'll figure it out. Just adjusting.

I thought he was moving great in the preseason. Yeah, it's the preseason, but if he was out of shape it should have showed up there.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Why is "out of shape" the default when a player is consistently the last to cross halfcourt, fails to set screens when he's normally a good screensetter, and gets pushed off the block by someone who weighs 20-30 lbs less?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Why is "out of shape" the default when a player is consistently the last to cross halfcourt, fails to set screens when he's normally a good screensetter, and gets pushed off the block by someone who weighs 20-30 lbs less?
    Not to mention seems to have to will himself to run. He always hesitates, takes a deep breath and starts lumbering away. He was moving much better last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    With Granger out, teams are gameplanning for Roy.

He'll figure it out. Just adjusting.

I thought he was moving great in the preseason. Yeah, it's the preseason, but if he was out of shape it should have showed up there.
    I want to agree with you. However, I can't help but notice when he hangs his head after losing a defensive matchup, or letting the ball slip through his hands.

His problem continues to be between his ears. He needs to dramatically evolve his mental game and start getting a chip on his shoulder instead of sulking.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

centers (hell any big men) without a mean streak arent really going to dominate games consistently

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PG-24 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Part of the problem is his deciseviness. He gets the ball and tends to just hold it, which is great for the defense. If he would ever make a quick post move his look would be that much easier.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Roy has never been that good of an offensive player. He can be defended. Where he really improved last season was his defense and that is what I primarily want from him.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Roy is not a first option. He never will be. And if we are trying to run the offense through him, we are going to continue to lag out. How many baseline screens is he getting to get low post position?

I don't think we are setting Roy up to recieve the ball that best compliments his weaknesses. Most low iso post positions are from rub screens that he sets and then tries to seal his man that either sags or hedges the screen. He does not have the strength to do this consistently. Baseline screens are key, and they might open up the top of the key for our perimeter shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Roy has never been that good of an offensive player. He can be defended. Where he really improved last season was his defense and that is what I primarily want from him.
    I couldn't agree more. If Roy is holding down the paint defensively and crashing the boards hard, I could care less what he gives us offensively. His defense and rebounding is what made him so good in the playoffs.

I've always wanted him to try to be more Mutombo-type of C as opposed to trying to be a focal point offensively.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

1 v 1 he is damn close to unstoppable, but he crumbles when doubled.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Agreed on his defensive improvement and that what we need from him, primarily, is defense.

However, I would say that Roy CAN be an excellent offensive player. He is just streaky because of not being that mentally tough. So we can't rely on him. But he has some pretty stellar moments.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

30. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post: