Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is wrong with Roy?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default What is wrong with Roy?

He has obviously been struggling on the court. It seems he is in one of his difficult stretches where he just disappears for a while. On top of that, he has not tweeted in 4 days. I am worried that he is putting too much pressure on himself due to the contract, and moving in to some sort of depression. Any thoughts?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:

Default Re: What is wrong with Roy?

Sounds like Roy being Roy to me.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IndyJones For This Useful Post:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:

I wonder if Roy is really in shape right now. Basketball shape that is. Do any of you guys with lower bowl seats have an opinion on this. It is impossible to tell from the TV games or the balcony.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Roy but he does need to toughen up.....he's going to make Portland glad they withdrew their offer. With that said maybe he is starting to man up and thats why he hasn't been around. Maybe he's doing some searching for the inner man with in.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Quote Originally Posted by IndyJones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like Roy being Roy to me.
    Exactly. He is who he is, who he's been (barring stretches last season in what was--surprise--a contract year) and who he will be. A 7'2 non dunking, slow-footed center who has one move in the paint, which is a hook shot (ie easily defended), and who is a huge liability at defending anything outside of the restricted area. And who also calls himself a great passer but never passes. Somehow he convinced people his career best 12.8 ppg / 8.8 rpg was worth a max extension. . .

If I was him I wouldn't tweet either. What is he going to say? "Got to work on my 6 foot hook shot, we gotta step it up to beat the Wizards" ? Count that money and do what you do.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

i guess he's trying to make portland feel better.

as said earlier he's just being himself.

Sports Logo

That's the same Roy we had last year. Last year with Granger around he had a lot more space in the paint, now he's much easier to defend, That's why his numbers dropped. Even with Granger around Hibbert was never really a force
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have no idea. He looked dominant during the first half of the season opener, and hasn't been the same since.
    David "And One" West

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think he spent the summer focusing on gaining weight to be stronger and neglected his conditioning to be honest. He's getting pushed around for rebounding position a lot more this year despite being heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    I think he spent the summer focusing on gaining weight to be stronger and neglected his conditioning to be honest. He's getting pushed around for rebounding position a lot more this year despite being heavier.
    Roy's only conditioning this summer was Gangam Style.

Mood

He's definitely laboring more getting up court, which is a side effect of gaining weight without improving conditioning.

Honestly, I don't know why he'd change his body after last season. He was set to continue being a force on both ends, and instead is unable to get into position defensively, and can't make an impact offensively. Remember last season when Frank worked with him to calm down/take his time offensively? He's back to the old "catch/spin/shoot" without gathering himself. I'd like to see him get the ball on the block. Hold it out from his body, let everything clear around him, and go to work. He's like a 75% shooter when he methodically makes a move. This season he's rushing everything.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    He's definitely laboring more getting up court, which is a side effect of gaining weight without improving conditioning.

Honestly, I don't know why he'd change his body after last season. He was set to continue being a force on both ends, and instead is unable to get into position defensively, and can't make an impact offensively. Remember last season when Frank worked with him to calm down/take his time offensively? He's back to the old "catch/spin/shoot" without gathering himself. I'd like to see him get the ball on the block. Hold it out from his body, let everything clear around him, and go to work. He's like a 75% shooter when he methodically makes a move. This season he's rushing everything.
    agree

Sports Logo

It's all psychological with Hibbert......given the rumor that he maybe bummed that DC is no longer with the Team...I would not be surprised if this was the case.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Roy's problem is our lack of any quality wing players. Good play from your C is primarily a team effort as somebody has to get him the ball in position and yet leave him enough space. We don't have the wing players - especially with Granger out - to make that happen.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Roy's problem is our lack of any quality wing players. Good play from your C is primarily a team effort as somebody has to get him the ball in position and yet leave him enough space. We don't have the wing players - especially with Granger out - to make that happen.
    Where are they supposed to go? The guy gets pushed out to a few feet from the 3pt line. This is not on anyone else.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to MiaDragon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MiaDragon View Post
    Where are they supposed to go? The guy gets pushed out to a few feet from the 3pt line. This is not on anyone else.
    This to me is the biggest problem with Roy. The closer to the basket he is, the more effective he is. But, right now, he's struggling to maintain his position down low and, as a result, he's not very effective when he receives the ball (and gets tired more quickly). I think this is mostly on Roy, but also partially on the wing players. They just shouldn't pass the ball to Roy if he's trying to post up from 2 feet inside the three point line (as they did several times against the Wolves). If he's not in position, he's not in position. Just swing the ball to the other side of the floor and get started again.
    Last edited by Pingu; 11-10-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    On top of that, he has not tweeted in 4 days.
    Neither had any members of the team until George tweeted last night.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Roy seems to be gassed about 8-9 minutes into the quarter. Same as always, the difference being, Frank is not replaing him until just before the quarter ends. If his breathing problems dictate he come out of the game after 8 miutes, then he should come out. I doubt he would ever signal for a replacement because IMO Roy thinks he should "man up" and replace Granger's missing contribution. Putting pressure on yourself to push through things you have no way of overcoming just assures failure. I would rather waste some minutes on Miles than have Roy worn out in the 4th quarter.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

Roy's problem is he isn't and will never be dominant. He's an $8-10M player getting the max.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dece For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Honestly, I don't know why he'd change his body after last season. He was set to continue being a force on both ends
    I agree with the rest of what you wrote, but I don't consider 12.8 ppg "being a force." It's better than what we're getting now by about 1 and a half field goals per game. If you think about it that way, he's only making one and a half less buckets per game so far this season (and really it's less than 1 field goal if you consider the fact that he's not getting to the line or making his free throws).

So there's the silver lining, but it also reveals the cold, hard truth that his best isn't much better than this on offense.

What's wrong with Roy? Easy, the Pacers FO for giving him the max. I like Roy and all but c'mon, giving him the max? I was in the "decline-asap-camp" as soon as I heard POR was offering the big fella the max! PG is getting A LOT of flack on PD for not averaging 20ppg (14 & 10) and one poster even suggested TRADING PG smh. The P's sg is averaging a double double but our MAX center can't?!!?!?!?!? Pitiful/shameful

It's been the case since Roy's been here. When he's at his best, this team can beat anyone. When he's struggling, winning becomes difficult like it is now.

Roy's done this before and it's been temporary. He's still adjusting six games in. Many players still are.

He and the team need one big game and a win to build momentum and hopefully that game is tonight. It should be considering we're playing Washington who is 0-4.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This is it. Roy isn't lacking in toughness. He can be pushed out of the paint (Big Baby did this). However, if those big guys are concerned about other scoring threats, they don't hone in on Roy as much. He is feeling Granger's absence more than anyone.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This is it. Roy isn't lacking in toughness. He can be pushed out of the paint (Big Baby did this). However, if those big guys are concerned about other scoring threats, they don't hone in on Roy as much. He is feeling Granger's absence more than anyone.
    I don't buy that, Roy is known for dissapearing for a big portion of the season and as far as I know Danny was playing.