Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

  1. #1

    Default LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers...,6329436.story

    Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach
    Comments 0 Email
    Share




    The Lakers are hoping to get Phil Jackson back on the sidelines. (Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times / November 10, 2012)

    By Mike Bresnahan

    November 10, 2012, 9:56 a.m.
    The Lakers are moving quickly toward hiring Phil Jackson as their next coach, with one person in the organization calling it a "95%" chance he will return for a third tour with the team.

    The Lakers plan on meeting with Jackson on Saturday morning to make sure he is interested in the job. The unknown 5% in their equation is the chance Jackson doesn't want to fill the vacancy created by the Friday firing of Mike Brown, either because of health reasons or other unknown issues.

    The team realized a slew of things stemming from the 101-77 Lakers' victory Friday over Golden State, primarily that the players wanted Jackson and fans wanted him too, in case their second-half chants of his name weren't enough of a tipoff.

    Ultimately, Lakers management wants Jackson too. It's just a matter of where Jackson stands right now. People who have spoken with him in recent weeks say he enjoys his life away from the game but is also intrigued by the Lakers' roster and the opportunity to return to the only franchise he has known since 1999.

    Jackson left the Lakers after the 2010-11 season, and at least one prominent player said he wanted a chance at redemption on Jackson's behalf.

    "The one thing that's kind of always bothered me is that in his last year I wasn't able to give him my normal self," Kobe Bryant said Friday night. "I was playing on one leg and that's kind of always eaten away at me. The last year of his career I wasn't able to give him all I had.

    "He's too great of a coach to have it go out that way. That's my personal sentiment. I took it to heart because I couldn't give it everything I had because I physically couldn't. My knee was shot. That's always bothered me."

    Bryant's right knee affected him toward the end of that season, which ended with the Lakers being swept by Dallas in the Western Conference semifinals. Bryant ended up undergoing a cutting-edge procedure on his knee in Germany later that summer.

    Lakers center Dwight Howard said he would also be fine playing for Jackson.

    "I think it would be great," Howard told The Times. "He's a guy I could learn a lot from. But until he comes, we have to put all of our faith into Bernie" Bickerstaff, the Lakers' interim coach.

    Former New York Knicks Coach Mike D'Antoni is a candidate for the job if Jackson turns it down.

    The Lakers (2-4) play Sacramento on Sunday at Staples Center

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,272
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    Well good. I'm relieved that Shaw is only in the 5%.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  4. #3
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,609

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    I guess it's Phil then....but is anyone really surprised?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  5. #4

    Default Re: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess it's Phil then....but is anyone really surprised?
    Yes because I figured they would've done it before the season began might as well have since they dumped Mike Brown 5 games in

  6. #5
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,355

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    Ahhh, good ol' Phil Jackson. Such an opportunistic coach. Bailed on the Lakers when they were sinking, now that they conveniently have Howard and Nash to go along with Kobe and Pau, Phil is suddenly interested in returning. Hardly shocking.

  7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,061

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    Nash and the triangle will be hilarious. He'll be traded by February.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    On the Vogel Wagon gummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,924
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well good. I'm relieved that Shaw is only in the 5%.
    I don't know. I could see Brian going to be an assistant to Phil again next year if he doesn't get a head coaching job in the off season.

    By the way, I love the way this is phrased. They are 95% sure Phil will come back. Except that he may not want to because of his health or some other unknown reason. So they just call all that uncertainty a 5% chance that he won't come back instead of admitting that they don't freaking know and need to talk to him more to find out. Hilarious.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

    "Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

    Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

  11. #8
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know. I could see Brian going to be an assistant to Phil again next year if he doesn't get a head coaching job in the off season.

    By the way, I love the way this is phrased. They are 95% sure Phil will come back. Except that he may not want to because of his health or some other unknown reason. So they just call all that uncertainty a 5% chance that he won't come back instead of admitting that they don't freaking know and need to talk to him more to find out. Hilarious.
    It seems in Shaw's case, it's a "been there, done that" scenario. I don't think he'll go back to the Lakers.

  12. #9
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    I hope that he comes back, the team struggles for any and all reasons, and that he gets swept out of the playoffs while displaying that absolutely zero level of class that we all expect from him. I kinda like the way he left and feel even better that Rick did it to him, in part, by having more control over Artest in that series than Phil had.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  13. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    Member Johanvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    3,250

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    Phil Jackson is the only head coach that exists for the Lakers in the basketball world?I mean what the hell?That will be the 3rd time he's gonna work for them.Yes he's been more than successful but aren't there any other options?

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:


  16. #11

    Default Re: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope that he comes back, the team struggles for any and all reasons, and that he gets swept out of the playoffs while displaying that absolutely zero level of class that we all expect from him. I kinda like the way he left and feel even better that Rick did it to him, in part, by having more control over Artest in that series than Phil had.
    Phil got a ring out of Artest sadly something Rick never did here.

    That being said I think this is more about him grooming a successor this time around.

  17. #12
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,877
    Mood

    Default Re: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    This reminds me of one of the girls from Super Sweet Sixteen being sure she'd get a new Lexus for her birthday.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

    cgg

  19. #13

    Default Re: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope that he comes back, the team struggles for any and all reasons, and that he gets swept out of the playoffs while displaying that absolutely zero level of class that we all expect from him. I kinda like the way he left and feel even better that Rick did it to him, in part, by having more control over Artest in that series than Phil had.
    yes, it was very fitting to see phil go out like he did. couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy. and having rick do that to him was icing on the cake (phil had NEVER been swept before). that year was one of the rarest years where the season ended on as good a note as possible minus the pacers winning it all.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to clownskull For This Useful Post:


  21. #14
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...s-lakers-brass

    most interesting point: P-Jack apparently doesn't want to go to all the road games.

  22. #15
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,560

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ahhh, good ol' Phil Jackson. Such an opportunistic coach. Bailed on the Lakers when they were sinking, now that they conveniently have Howard and Nash to go along with Kobe and Pau, Phil is suddenly interested in returning. Hardly shocking.

    Lakers asked him to take a pay cut. Guys of Phil's stature can afford to walk away when this happens.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:


  24. #16
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Phil got a ring out of Artest sadly something Rick never did here.
    True, but that last series of Phil's was fun watching Rick have more control over Ron than Phil did. Rick knew the buttons he could push that Phil had no control over.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  25. #17
    PD Magician Magic P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,908

    Default Re: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    Jackson actually could be in place by Monday, according to league sources, with the Lakers trying to find a way to have Brian Shaw freed up from his coaching duties with the Indiana Pacers so that he can rejoin Jackson in L.A. The former Laker player and assistant coach, long talked about as a potential head coach with the team, is the Pacers’ assistant head coach. To get him out of Indiana, the Lakers will probably need to send the Pacers some sort of compensation.

    http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1200164#bmb=1

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Magic P For This Useful Post:


  27. #18
    yawn cgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,947

    Default Re: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    They want to steal our assistant to be their assistant ?

  28. #19
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic P View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jackson actually could be in place by Monday, according to league sources, with the Lakers trying to find a way to have Brian Shaw freed up from his coaching duties with the Indiana Pacers so that he can rejoin Jackson in L.A. The former Laker player and assistant coach, long talked about as a potential head coach with the team, is the Pacers’ assistant head coach. To get him out of Indiana, the Lakers will probably need to send the Pacers some sort of compensation.

    http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1200164#bmb=1
    Shaw for Ron-Ron?

    [ducks]



    But seriously what could they give us? Outside of the big 4, no one else is appealing. A low first draft pick we can use on another Plumlee (not literally, I hope) ? Bernie Bickerstaff? Chuck Person as a stopgap 3?

  29. #20
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,316

    Default Re: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shaw for Ron-Ron?

    [ducks]



    But seriously what could they give us? Outside of the big 4, no one else is appealing. A low first draft pick we can use on another Plumlee (not literally, I hope) ? Bernie Bickerstaff? Chuck Person as a stopgap 3?
    Yeah, that's what I don't know. Only player that looks nice is Jordan Hill. Too bad they don't have a pg worth taking back. I would hope for a 1st. Could be a nice trade chip for the Pacers later.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  30. #21
    PD Magician Magic P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,908

    Default Re: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shaw for Ron-Ron?

    [ducks]



    But seriously what could they give us? Outside of the big 4, no one else is appealing. A low first draft pick we can use on another Plumlee (not literally, I hope) ? Bernie Bickerstaff? Chuck Person as a stopgap 3?
    If the draft is as bad as the experts say it is I don't even want their first but that may be the best we can do outside of telling the lakers to go screw themselves.

  31. #22
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,580
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    It would likely be cash or something like that. Which, given our financial situation, is better than nothing.

  32. #23
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,096

    Default Re: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    Herb Simon probably feels if he needed a coach from another team he wouldn't want to be involved in any bidding war just like with RFA, so he'll just step aside and void Shaw's contract if that is what Shaw wants...

    Should that be green?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  33. #24
    Star Platinum Hypnotiq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,968

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    am i missing something? Shaw has burnt his bridges in LA zero chance he goes back
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

  34. #25

    Default Re: LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    am i missing something? Shaw has burnt his bridges in LA zero chance he goes back
    That's what I thought too.

    Honestly, I think odds are Phil's requests are over the top. Phil knows they are over the top. So, he's likely not going to be the coach.

Similar Threads

  1. Los Angeles Lakers' Phil Jackson says winning title fueled return [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 10:50 PM
  2. Phil Jackson will return to chase Los Angeles Lakers three-peat [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2010, 05:10 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 05:50 PM
  4. Source: Phil Jackson's return to Los Angeles Lakers as coach assured [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-03-2009, 01:00 PM
  5. Phil Jackson is Lakers' Head Coach again
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 12:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •