Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Minny postgame thread.

Default Re: Pacers/Minny postgame thread.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can someone explain to me why our best defender, Roy, was not in to defend the last play?
    I'm guessing it was either the bad defense he played in this game or the sulking he was doing. He barely even got off the bench when Hill drained that tying three, while the rest of his teammates were happy for Hill.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Gotta agree with KStat. Let's put Vogel in the bottom-10, for argument's sake.

With Danny out, our wings can't be better than 29th. Name 2 sets worse than George-Green/Stephenson/Sam? Don't think you can.

So that's a bigger concern than coaching, and won't get fixed until Danny returns.

Our bench might be 30th. Six games in, and we haven't had a single good performance from any of them yet. That's bad.

I think they're making Frank look bad more than Frank's making the Pacers look bad. But we're not losing because our bench sucks. They aren't that big of a factor either way. Our wings are wretched.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I'm guessing it was either the bad defense he played in this game or the sulking he was doing. He barely even got off the bench when Hill drained that tying three, while the rest of his teammates were happy for Hill.
    neither. Minny went small for the last play. Roy didn't have anyone he could guard. Check the replay.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's funny how in the offseason everyone thought we overplayed for Hill and did what we had to for Roy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Lots of truth here. Danny and David are the only two real scorers on the team. Other guys can score, but asking them to be a primary scorer is asking too much game in and game out. Losing DC only aggravated the problem. He was the other guys that could score.

Pacers philosophy is getting players that can 'score and defend their position'. But there is a difference between being able to score and being a primary scorer. Right now David West is the only guy that can get the ball on a regular basis and get points out of it. George Hill is getting better, but he is not a guy you can say 'I need 25 pts from you tonight. No one else on the team can score 30 unless you leave them alone in the gym. edit: this is wrong. tyler can score, but at the NBA level, he is a complementary player. Complementary scorer is a better way to describe the rest of the guys.

Now Hill may become the other scorer the Pacers need. Frank seems to be doing some nice two man game things with him and David. Here's hoping they get it figured out quickly.

BTW, that $40M over 8 yrs is looking more and more like money well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    Not having granger really hurts Indiana. I'm sorry but not a single player on that team can do what granger does well.

I'm not a big fan of any of their wings. I like George as a defender but he isn't in grangers league as a scorer.

I think this team is Fine without collison. Without collison and granger...they take a step back. Just not enough skill on the perimeter.
    Last edited by xIndyFan; 11-10-2012 at 02:03 AM.

We should sign Baron Davis to play backup PG.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    Now Hill may become the other scorer the Pacers need. Frank seems to be doing some nice two man game things with him and David. Here's hoping they get it figured out quickly.
    Agree that Hill is probably the best shot we have of someone filling in as scorer. It's glaringly obvious that it's not going to be Paul George or Gerald Green, at least for now.

I would have suggested starting Augustin at PG while shifting Hill to SG if Augustin didn't suck so much. As it is, I think we should cut Ben Hans and sign a vet PG who can play (Shaun Livingston is available) to start alongside Hill. It's not as if we have a ton of complicated plays that a new PG would need to pick up on either.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sad fact as bad as you are knocking Gerald Green for everything he did outrebound Hibbert 6 to 4. He was also fouled 2 or 3 times on shots which were obvious ref missed called even Buckner pointed that out.

Banned

@ArturoGalletti: .@HPbasketball Jeff Green bad offseason signing or the worst offseason signing?

I just finished watching the game, and I have to say that the offense looked better tonight. It definitely looked like they trimmed the playbook and focused more on inside-out play. The bad thing is that it looked like they were running the plays in a practice walk-through style. There were actually cutters, but normally the play didn't develop fast enough for the guy to turn and hit hit the cutter before his man caught up.

Hill and West were bosses out there, that's for sure. And he didn't play well again, but I don't think Hibbert looks like he doesn't care. I think the man looks tired. He just looked gassed. Lance played well and PG had a meh game. And I am soooo tired of watching Green miss those stupid twisting fallaway jumpers. I mean, he shoots them on fast breaks when we have an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Agree that Hill is probably the best shot we have of someone filling in as scorer. It's glaringly obvious that it's not going to be Paul George or Gerald Green, at least for now.

I would have suggested starting Augustin at PG while shifting Hill to SG if Augustin didn't suck so much. As it is, I think we should cut Ben Hans and sign a vet PG who can play (Shaun Livingston is available) to start alongside Hill. It's not as if we have a ton of complicated plays that a new PG would need to pick up on either.
    yeah, Augustin has really been a disappointment. Which is really sad as I only expected him to be a decent backup for a year. At this rate, he's going to be working for the vet's min next year. But he is the only guy that can play the point right now. He has to stay with the reserves.

Another way to go instead of picking up a bad PG would be looking for a combo guard instead. There have to be some undersized SG that handle the ball well enough to play the point for the Pacers. I think that would give the B&G another shooter at least.

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    Sad fact as bad as you are knocking Gerald Green for everything he did outrebound Hibbert 6 to 4. He was also fouled 2 or 3 times on shots which were obvious ref missed called even Buckner pointed that out.
    I think Gerald will be OK eventually. He has some strange holes in his game and it evidently is taking some time to fit this particular square peg into the Pacers rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    yeah, Augustin has really been a disappointment. Which is really sad as I only expected him to be a decent backup for a year. At this rate, he's going to be working for the vet's min next year. But he is the only guy that can play the point right now. He has to stay with the reserves.

Another way to go instead of picking up a bad PG would be looking for a combo guard instead. There have to be some undersized SG that handle the ball well enough to play the point for the Pacers. I think that would give the B&G another shooter at least
    I think the Pacers should get a real point guard.

Starting DJ might help him, actually. I mean, he's not good defensively, but he'll be playing with scorers so there won't be so much pressure on him to score.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I think the Pacers should get a real point guard.

Starting DJ might help him, actually. I mean, he's not good defensively, but he'll be playing with scorers so there won't be so much pressure on him to score.
    I don't know about starting him, but I'd like to at least see him get a bit of run with the starters. It can't be much worse than the Young or Green lineups.

Wow. What a disappointing finish. Didn't get to see the game live, had to catch it on DVR.

I was so proud of David and George, they really just took the team on their backs and willed us to win it.

Too bad Gerald Green wouldn't let them. Pretty sure my not-quite-2 year old daughter could have defended Buddinger on that last shot
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

at this point George Hill has a better shot of becoming our "star" than PG. Paul is going to be a good player, but I just don't think he can be a consistent scorer. Definitely not a #1 option.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Pace Maker For This Useful Post:

I like what I have seen the past few games from Hill, he has shown a lot of improvement from last year. The past two games he has been as good as Danny was at his peak.

Did anyone wake Gerald Green up at the top of the key before the bus left for the airport? I'm concerned he might still be there. Or maybe i'm not.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Banned

@indystar_pacers: BLOG: Pacers: Green cost them the game, but Vogel deserves blame, too http://t.co/7FuaLILX

Sam "The Budinger Stopper" Young was a better option for that final stop ! He should've been in for Tyler or better yet for Gerald "Where's my man" Green.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Augustin's the one I can't figure out more than anything. I'm not writing Green or Mahinmi off at all, but it's clear to everyone those were somewhat of gambles. Augustin was consistently solid in Charlotte from day one. It's like he literally forgot how to play.
    He needs to play a different offense style. He's not great, but to get good out of him, he has to do the thing he does. Otherwise you get all the negatives without the only thing he can do, run a team.

Make him the starter, move Hill to SG, and ask Augustine what he wants to run, and make it happen.
    Removed link to my website after a PM from Able.

NBA.com starting their highlights with Rubio and Love in the back and Amundson in the middle is gold. I really thought they were going to say something about Lou
    Last edited by MvPlumlee; 11-10-2012 at 04:34 AM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    I'm ready to see Orlando Johnson and Miles Plumlee get minutes. Why not, right? Orlando Johnson is probably as effective as Green or Young, and Plumlee as useful as Mahinmi.
    Actually, I assume that it would be better to give Lance and Miles FAR MORE minutes. Lance, only because it looks like he's starting to get it and he needs the minutes to get there....whereas for Miles...I am seeing more lineups with West and Hansbrough on the floor at the same time....I saw enough of that last season to know that the rebounding and defense sucks when both are in the frontcourt. If Mahinmi isn't going to get minutes....then put Miles in there.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    We should sign Baron Davis to play backup PG.
    No.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

I would give the ball to Lance as starting PG. Move Hill to SG and George to SF. Let's see what Lance can do when he's really given a chance. He's earned that much in my eyes and i was one of the people that thought we should have gotten rid of him. His game has matured a lot.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post: