Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can the laker poach Brian Shaw from us

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default Re: can the laker poach Brian Shaw from us

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why do you think Shaw to LA is implausible? Shaw's issue in LA was with Jim Buss, who looks like will be sidelined by the return of Shaw's old boss. It seems like a perfect scenario for him actually.

The bigger issue is whether the Pacers would/should let him go. The Pacers normally won't get in the way of an assistant getting promoted elsewhere, but as bunt pointed out it's in the middle of the season. Furthermore, Vogel only has 3 assistants, so Shaw departing would have huge impact on the Pacers.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thus, a trade is in order.

Right?

Shaw for Person. Straight up. Then we've got our coach-in-waiting. I'm not ready to run Vogel out of town, but I have doubts that he'll be here longer than three full seasons. Most coaches don't last that long, and I think there is something to that theory. Then we're perfectly set up for the Rifleman to become HC.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Based on what Wells is saying, it sounds like Shaw is done with the Lakers. If for any reason he leaves here, it'll more than likely be to take a head coaching position.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

For those who would have a problem with Simon not letting Shaw go to LA for nothing, why should he? It makes absolutely no sense to make your team weaker, and one of your competitors stronger at the same time. Also, look at the other side of the situation. Brian Shaw signed a contract to coach for the Indiana Pacers, the man should honor his committment. Of course if it was a normal job you wouldn't have a choice but to let him go, but this is not a normal job. Brian Shaw signed a contract to be here, point blank period. Furthermore Shaw could very well be the coach in waiting here if things go really downhill this season, so for Simon to let Shaw simply walk over there would be a horrible decision.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HC For This Useful Post:

Was looking for this thread but couldn't find it so I posted this in the other thread

Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach
    Jackson actually could be in place by Monday, according to league sources, with the Lakers trying to find a way to have Brian Shaw freed up from his coaching duties with the Indiana Pacers so that he can rejoin Jackson in L.A. The former Laker player and assistant coach, long talked about as a potential head coach with the team, is the Pacers’ assistant head coach. To get him out of Indiana, the Lakers will probably need to send the Pacers some sort of compensation.

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1200164#bmb=1

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    He wasn't entitled to be "next in line". He still hasn't been hired to be HC of any team, let alone one of the premier spots for all experienced, legit head coaches. Someone will give him a chance at HC, but until then he's an assistant acting like he's entitled to be a HC.
    Considering Kobe pretty much runs that organization, and given the fact that reportedly Kobe wanted Shaw, I would call it a bit strange that they didn't hire him.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HC For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by HC View Post
    For those who would have a problem with Simon not letting Shaw go to LA for nothing, why should he? It makes absolutely no sense to make your team weaker, and one of your competitors stronger at the same time. Also, look at the other side of the situation. Brian Shaw signed a contract to coach for the Indiana Pacers, the man should honor his committment. Of course if it was a normal job you wouldn't have a choice but to let him go, but this is not a normal job. Brian Shaw signed a contract to be here, point blank period. Furthermore Shaw could very well be the coach in waiting here if things go really downhill this season, so for Simon to let Shaw simply walk over there would be a horrible decision.
    Only way I said I would let him go is if they offered him the HC job. I wouldn't let him make a lateral move to being an AC for Phil. But denying him a promotion if the Lakers wanted him for HC would be wrong IMO. I would take compensation for him but I would find a way to make it work. Denying Shaw a promotion would be wrong IMO.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

And yet that's exactly the way the teams treat the players and coaches. Tired of you, got a better offer, you're gone! Loyalty is not a two way street in the business world. Unless Shaw signed a non compete clause in his contract, there is no good reason for the Pacers to stop him. Or maybe there is more in his future here than we know about. I wonder if he would go back as Phil's assistant again?

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    And yet that's exactly the way the teams treat the players and coaches. Tired of you, got a better offer, you're gone! Loyalty is not a two way street in the business world. Unless Shaw signed a non compete clause in his contract, there is no good reason for the Pacers to stop him. Or maybe there is more in his future here than we know about. I wonder if he would go back as Phil's assistant again?
    Even still, it's hard to enforce non-compete clauses. I agree with you though.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's our lead assistant but I think everybody was surprised when he wasn't hired last summer by any other team. I think I read he had a one year contract with the Pacers, so he might choose to get back at the Lakers by making them bid for his services next summer as the heir to Phil Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Only way I said I would let him go is if they offered him the HC job. I wouldn't let him make a lateral move to being an AC for Phil. But denying him a promotion if the Lakers wanted him for HC would be wrong IMO. I would take compensation for him but I would find a way to make it work. Denying Shaw a promotion would be wrong IMO.
    Not during the middle of the season, that's not the way these things work. Say the the Pacers let him go to the Lakers and then something happens to Vogel - accident, illness, family tragedy, whatever it may be (look no further than the Colts situation). What happens then? The Pacers screw themselves over just because the Lakers decide to fire their coach 5 games in? Not a chance. In the offseason, sure, because then Vogel and the front office have the time to plan accordingly. You don't screw yourself over during the season just to let a guy get a promotion.
    Last edited by bunt; 11-11-2012 at 09:02 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bunt For This Useful Post:

If I were Herb/Donnie/Pritchard, I'd tell the Lakers "Sorry for your damn stupidity in letting your diva players force out your head coach after 5 games, you can talk to Coach Shaw after the season ends."
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

HC

In the business world you usually are not allowed out of a contract without some form of compensation. In the NBA if a team fires or cuts a coach or player they are still obligated to pay the full contract unless otherwise stated in the contract. So I do not understand why some of you think it is wrong for the Pacers to say no to the Lakers?

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cgg View Post
    If it was a normal job and you were the boss you probably wouldn't have a choice.
    You would if there were a contract involved. In my area of work companies have to pay money to hire guys away from other companies all the time.

The Lakers had the option to avoid this by simply given Shaw the opportunity. The Pacers were the nice guys here, they were the ones that told Shaw they wanted him and were willing to put that into a binding contract that Shaw could count on. So they aren't being jerks for expecting the contract to be honored, the Lakers are being jerks for thinking that everyone should just cancel a deal in order to help them out.

Who could say that Shaw's career couldn't leave him as a Pacers head coach instead?

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    You would if there were a contract involved. In my area of work companies have to pay money to hire guys away from other companies all the time.

The Lakers had the option to avoid this by simply given Shaw the opportunity. The Pacers were the nice guys here, they were the ones that told Shaw they wanted him and were willing to put that into a binding contract that Shaw could count on. So they aren't being jerks for expecting the contract to be honored, the Lakers are being jerks for thinking that everyone should just cancel a deal in order to help them out.

Who could say that Shaw's career couldn't leave him as a Pacers head coach instead?
    This. I remember having to sign a non compete clause for my first job, and that was a low level job.

Though I guess this topic is moot with the latest revelations that PJ will not be coming back

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    He's our lead assistant but I think everybody was surprised when he wasn't hired last summer by any other team. I think I read he had a one year contract with the Pacers, so he might choose to get back at the Lakers by making them bid for his services next summer as the heir to Phil Jackson.
    I could have sworn that he was our "associate head coach", not lead assistant... did something change?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This. I remember having to sign a non compete clause for my first job, and that was a low level job.

Though I guess this topic is moot with the latest revelations that PJ will not be coming back
    Or they could fire D'Antoni after giving him a long leash, which per Mike Brown would be about 12 games.

That would REALLY make Shaw want to go back there. I'd say the Lakers/Shaw thing looks pretty doubtful given the last few days paired with the departure of Shaw from LA originally.