Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 NCAA Basketball Thread

Default Re: 2012-2013 NCAA Basketball Thread

Kansas found out how to right the ship-

play a team coached by Bruce Weber!
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Nerlens Noel just hurt his knee coming down after a block. He was down holding it for a good while, in clear pain. Got carried off by teammates.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How the hell did UK sneak back into the Top 25?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nerlens Noel just hurt his knee coming down after a block. He was down holding it for a good while, in clear pain. Got carried off by teammates.
    i missed the play where it happened. however after seeing his rail-thin body, i suspect he will get busted up frequently in the pros. he just looks frail. anthony davis was skinny but noel almost makes him look like karl malone.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    i missed the play where it happened. however after seeing his rail-thin body, i suspect he will get busted up frequently in the pros. he just looks frail. anthony davis was skinny but noel almost makes him look like karl malone.
    I agree his frame isn't thick/wide enough. It is a weird body type. I haven't really seen anyone built like Noel really small shoulders and frame but not thin as a rail like a Henson. However he was playing so much harder than he did in HS he was coming around one of the best shot blockers I have seen just great feet.

It was ugly good chance his knee is torn.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It didn't look good. Freak play though. I don't like the way pad sticks out like that at Florida.

Indiana State probably going down to.a really bad Mo St team. So much for that at large bid

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

ISU lost to MO State. If they can't keep from following up a strong game with a crap game, forget the dance.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Indiana State just moved to the wrong side of the bubble. What a shame.

So it looks like Noel collided with a cameraman? These cameramen sit way too freaking close to the court. Remember when Collison got injured by tripping over a cameraman two years ago in the Bulls series? He was playing some really good ball in that series before he got hurt. Cameramen shouldn't be allowed to sit so close. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    So it looks like Noel collided with a cameraman? These cameramen sit way too freaking close to the court. Remember when Collison got injured by tripping over a cameraman two years ago in the Bulls series? He was playing some really good ball in that series before he got hurt. Cameramen shouldn't be allowed to sit so close. It's a disaster waiting to happen.
    No he got hurt because he collided with the square shaped pad and its backing at the bottom of the basket support. His body got caught up but the momentum appeared to shear his knee. Typically in the big ten, the pads are not square so it is easier for a players momentum to carry them over, is the square shaped pad an SEC thing or a Florida thing? Either way I think it is dangerous in situations just like we saw last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    No he got hurt because he collided with the square shaped pad and its backing at the bottom of the basket support. His body got caught up but the momentum appeared to shear his knee. Typically in the big ten, the pads are not square so it is easier for a players momentum to carry them over, is the square shaped pad an SEC thing or a Florida thing? Either way I think it is dangerous in situations just like we saw last night.
    Yeah, I watched it again and you're right. Regardless, I don't think that cameramen should be allowed to sit so close. He tripped over the cameraman after banging his knee against the basket. The Collison tripping over a cameraman injury two years ago in the playoffs when he was playing well is still fresh in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Yeah, I watched it again and you're right. Regardless, I don't think that cameramen should be allowed to sit so close. He tripped over the cameraman after banging his knee against the basket. The Collison tripping over a cameraman injury two years ago in the playoffs when he was playing well is still fresh in my mind.
    No I agree it is dangerous, but I think having a support shaped like that is just as dangerous. I am surprised more kids don't hurt their knee on that at Florida.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

This pic is not for the squeamish, so I will link it rather than embed it:

http://media.kentucky.com/smedia/201...yR.AuSt.79.JPG
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This pic is not for the squeamish, so I will link it rather than embed it:

http://media.kentucky.com/smedia/201...yR.AuSt.79.JPG
    Wow, I had not seen that angle. I had no idea it was that bad.

Devasting injury and I feel absolutely awful for the young man. My daughter just tore her ACL and MCL in a basketball injury. I would not wish that on anyone. Here's hoping he makes a complete recovery

Honestly, I am wondering about a fractured patella. Very similar to how Etherington's leg bent earlier in the year. Hoping for the best, was expecting an ACL at least, but after seeing that angle I am expecting much more. Did anyone else find it odd he was taken to the hosptial last night by a black pick up truck?

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Honestly, I am wondering about a fractured patella. Very similar to how Etherington's leg bent earlier in the year. Hoping for the best, was expecting an ACL at least, but after seeing that angle I am expecting much more. Did anyone else find it odd he was taken to the hosptial last night by a black pick up truck?
    They've already said the x-rays were negative. It's not necessarily a good or bad thing because the MRI results will tell the real story but no bones are broken.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    They've already said the x-rays were negative. It's not necessarily a good or bad thing because the MRI results will tell the real story but no bones are broken.
    Ok I had not seen that for sure. That is good. Yeah MRI is the real story on knees.

Yes, the xrays were negative on my girl- the MRI told the story. I am not a doctor, but there is no chance, imo, that his ACL wasnt completely torn. Reconstructive surgery is so good now, that they told my daughter the knee would be as strong as the other knee. I hope they are right.

My daughter tore her ACL during the first exhibition of the season this year. Worked her butt off all offseason. Life happens I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren35 View Post
    Yes, the xrays were negative on my girl- the MRI told the story. I am not a doctor, but there is no chance, imo, that his ACL wasnt completely torn. Reconstructive surgery is so good now, that they told my daughter the knee would be as strong as the other knee. I hope they are right.
    Hey Darren, I hurt my knee in Fall 2011. They originally diagnosed me with an ACL after negative x-rays and lochman test and they told me the same thing. MRI revealed that I was lucky and nothing was actually torn (I grew up a soccer player and had always spent time specifically on my quads, they had told me I had gotten lucky my quad had held the knee in place better.) The pop I had heard when I badly twisted the knee (and it was pretty bad I remember catching the knee out of the corner of my eye as I fell, I was playing indoor soccer, and I thought "A knee isn't supposed to bend like that" LOL) but the pop was actually my knee cap dislocating and then being pulled back into place by my quad and the ligaments and tendons. I had multiple deep knee bruises, a lot of trauma to the ligaments and tendons surrounding my knee cap (I could slide the knee cap around for several weeks after due to the swelling of the ligaments and tendons), but luckily no tears so I didn't have to go under a knife luckily. Just several months of physical therapy and wearing a brace on my knee daily to support it as pretty much everything healed.

But doctors and the physical therapists now are amazing. The physical therapy on a knee is tough, but tell your daughter it is worth it and you will learn a lot about your body from it.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

NCAA needs to look at how those supports are positioned. Rotnei Clarke was almost paralyzed by one earlier this year and one of the best players in the country just shredded his knee because of one. There is no reason for them to be like that.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    NCAA needs to look at how those supports are positioned. Rotnei Clarke was almost paralyzed by one earlier this year and one of the best players in the country just shredded his knee because of one. There is no reason for them to be like that.
    Where else would you put them?

The support is not the issue IMO, it is the shape of the pad being a square that IMO is what caused this injury. Most of them do not have corners at the top but rather they are sloped so your momentum can carry you over them instead of coming to a sudden stop like Nerlens did. Like I asked, is this a Florida thing or an SEC thing? Because in the B1G all the pads are sloped at the top corners, not square.

Where else would you put them?

The support is not the issue IMO, it is the shape of the pad being a square that IMO is what caused this injury. Most of them do not have corners at the top but rather they are sloped so your momentum can carry you over them instead of coming to a sudden stop like Nerlens did. Like I asked, is this a Florida thing or an SEC thing? Because in the B1G all the pads are sloped at the top corners, not square.
    Put them farther back so they aren't right by the court and make them smaller. The ones at Hinkle are a good example.

Or if it is possible, hang them from the ceiling like they do at Cameron Indoor. There's got to be better solutions than having them so close to the court where the players can't adjust if they are going out of bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren35 View Post

My daughter tore her ACL during the first exhibition of the season this year. Worked her butt off all offseason. Life happens I guess.
    Thanks for sharing your story brother-- You just never know I suppose. Glad your situation turned out positive!!

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Put them farther back so they aren't right by the court and make them smaller. The ones at Hinkle are a good example.

Or if it is possible, hang them from the ceiling like they do at Cameron Indoor. There's got to be better solutions than having them so close to the court where the players can't adjust if they are going out of bounds.
    I agree with making the pads smaller but it is not feasible always to set them so far back and it is definitely not feasible to hang from the ceilings. If you look at most of the big ten, the large pad does not go up as high, it appears that at Florida at least it goes up higher to slap the SEC logo on it.