Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 NCAA Basketball Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2012-2013 NCAA Basketball Thread

I guess we will see soon enough. Nearly beating UL at Louisville is a step in the right direction.

Calipari coached teams always peak at the right times--like him or not (and I hate him), there is a fair amount of logic to what he does. He's an underrated coach, and his young players don't get discouraged when they lose early in the year because that's how it's supposed to happen. They gain momentum beating the hell out of the rest of the teams in a BCS conference (even though SEC basketball is largely pathetic), and their talent meshes at the right time. Perfect situation. Meanwhile, Tubby and the Gophers caught lightning in a bottle, played well early in the season, thereby silencing their doubters, and now the rough and tumble Big Ten starts and while they won their first game against MSU, they will end up with 8 or so conference losses. Moral will be down, momentum will be down, and they will be lucky to win one game in the tournament. Whereas Calipari's Kentucky teams have never not made a Sweet 16. Place your wager, I'll take the 'Cats over the Gophers.

I don't know Minny doesn't have the depth that UK does, but they are more experienced and they have a more complete starting 5 IMO. I think they are a really dangerous basketball team, I guess we will get a first shot to see what they are really all about when they visit Btown on the 12th, but even then I think IU is going to be so tough at home that that may not even be a great gauge for them.

This UK team is pretty frustrating if I was a Cat fan. I guess it's to be expected with so much youth, but they are so sporadic. I think they are ripe for an early round upset like Slick does, but then again if they get the right bracket I could see them streaking to the final 4.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

http://mashable.com/2013/01/02/high-schooler-dunk/

Check out this dunk by a high school sophomore- pretty crazy.

Sports Logo

Steve Alford's still only 48 and he's got 370 D1 wins, I know, he wasn't great or anything at his only big conference job, but still that's pretty impressive for a guy that really doesn't get much credit nationally

Anyone see Colorado's game-winning three get waved off in Arizona? Tied at 80, Colorado banks in a 3 at the buzzer, replay shows the ball out of his hand with 0.2 but the refs wave it off and send the game to OT, where Arizona wins.

Gutless officials who let the crowd intimidate them into making the wrong call.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone see Colorado's game-winning three get waved off in Arizona? Tied at 80, Colorado banks in a 3 at the buzzer, replay shows the ball out of his hand with 0.2 but the refs wave it off and send the game to OT, where Arizona wins.

Gutless officials who let the crowd intimidate them into making the wrong call.
    I haven't watched it but I saw CU's coach Tad Boyle wants replay banned, "human error's part of the game." I understand being pissed but that's just dumb.

His whole point is why waste time on replay if you're not gonna get right, yeah he was exaggerating, but his team just got pretty obviously jobbed. And now the Pac12 and NCAA won't even admit it was the wrong call which is amazing.

Notre Dame women beat the Uconn women today by a point. It was a pretty good game. I am so sick of Skylar Diggins.

Sports Logo

So far Big Ten teams are 100-12 at home, 5 of those losses coming from Northwestern. This season's gonna be brutal.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Arizona lost at Oregon, so there's only two unbeatens left in the country--Duke and Michigan. There might not be any unbeatens left after this weekend.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Arizona should be 0-3 in the Pac12....whcih says a lot.

The Big Ten is just a murder's row. I think we have established that Illinois is helter skelter--they seem to be really struggling on the road in B1G play. Bad loss at Purdue and a complete blow out loss to Wisconsin, who is showing that the rumors of their demise were premature. Wisky now 3-0 in the Big Ten. The Michigan/Ohio State game tomorrow will be a fun one. Michigan is due for a stinker and their rivals would like nothing more than to spoil their ascent to #1.

What are the chances UK misses the tourney? I mean they wouldn't get in right now IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    What are the chances UK misses the tourney? I mean they wouldn't get in right now IMO.
    Slim. The SEC is largely a nightmare, with UK, Mizzou, and Florida the only good teams. A&M might not be bad, but they aren't good either. UK will inflate their record with the garbage teams in the conference and score a win against Florida and/or Mizzou, and probably will make a run in the conference tourney. They'll be fine.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Down goes Michigan!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

I believe UK will make the tourney- and make a deep run---as in a run deep back into the heart of KY after the second round. This group of freshmen (plus Wiltjer) just isnt panning out.

Uconn v Louisville tonight. I'm gonna miss the Big East. It really was an awesome basketball conference.

See, I'm not crazy http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-coll...ege-basketball

Joe Lunardi

We can no longer ignore the elephant in the room: The Kentucky Wildcats, defending NCAA champions and the model of new-age success in college basketball, could miss the 2013 tournament. Really.Those still reading need to at least face the possibility of sweating out Selection Sunday. The current Wildcats are simply good, not great, and enter the heart of the season a long way from their accustomed "lock" status as an NCAA tournament team and Final Four regulars.
    In fact, the Wildcats are closer to missing the tournament entirely than to playing in April.
    Here are several reasons Kentucky is in danger of missing the 2013 NCAA tournament.

• Kentucky sits at No. 42 on our latest S-Curve. This is probably a bit generous, and is based more on recent history and potential than on actual accomplishment. Regardless, that position means the Wildcats were just one spot away from a "First Four" game in our latest bracket. Only the Dayton business community would be happy with that outcome, I suspect.
    • The Wildcats are 1-1 in early SEC play, and needed a disputed bucket to escape Vanderbilt before being outclassed at home by Texas A&M. With four of their next six games away from Rupp Arena, there's every chance the Wildcats will hit the halfway mark of their league schedule not much better than .500 in the SEC. In a fairly weak conference, they'll need to be well above that by March.
    • A week ago, UK was on my list of national "leaders" in so-called "fake wins." Of the Wildcats' 10 victories this season, just two -- Maryland (in Brooklyn) and at Vanderbilt -- have come over non-guarantee opponents. That means a 10-5 record for the Wildcats, which is already borderline, is more like a 2-5 record in the eyes of the selection committee. So there's a ton of work to do in a conference that suddenly presents more opportunities for "bad " losses than it does "good" wins.
    • The RPI, typically so kind to Kentucky, is heading the opposite direction in 2013. UK's current number is 68 and, worse, the best RPI calculators have the Wildcats landing no better than the low 50s two months from now. Without a couple of serious NCAA-level wins on its résumé, Kentucky is going to generate lots of bubble talk with that kind of profile.
    The bottom line is that UK's season is going to come down to four SEC games: at Ole Miss (Jan. 29), at Florida (Feb. 12), at home versus Missouri (Feb. 23) and the Florida rematch at Rupp Arena (March 9). A split of those contests should be enough, and most Kentucky teams would have little trouble hitting that mark.
    But this Kentucky team has played only four comparable games all season. And all four -- a neutral-site game against Duke, at Notre Dame, at home versus Baylor and at Louisville -- were losses.
    If pressed, I would bet on continued improvement for the young Wildcats and a single-digit NCAA seed. But this season there is little certainty with Kentucky, on or off the court.

Your not crazy Joe. The Wildcats have not done enough, to this point, to definitely say they deserve to be there. I think they make it, but I am betting on some progress being made during the rest of the season. Quite frankly, it's painful to watch them play.

I hope the NCAA champion this year comes from the Midwest- IU, UL or the like would be fine with me. Key word here is this year. I fully expect UK to be back next year competing for a final four birth. IU fans have been patient- and deserve some good times.

Illinois is down at half....to Northwestern....by 16....at home.

Michigan is the best team in the Big Ten.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Michigan is the best team in the Big Ten.
    Yeah they're impressive. I don't think we can beat them unless Watford has a really good game. He would appear to be their tough matchup if he can get going.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Yeah they're impressive. I don't think we can beat them unless Watford has a really good game. He would appear to be their tough matchup if he can get going.
    Also, Crean needs to improve his in game coaching drastically. I'm still ****ing pissed about that Wisconsin game.

What Wisconsin game?