Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 NCAA Basketball Thread

Default Re: 2012-2013 NCAA Basketball Thread

138 points by a division III guard

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...scoring-record

Taylor scored an NCAA-record 138 points in a 179-104 win over Faith Baptist Bible. He played 36 minutes and took 108 shots (27-for-71 from the 3-point line).

best part: Camelo Anthony was jealous of anyone getting so many shots
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 11-21-2012 at 06:43 AM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

It is just mind boggling how he could shoot that much. It wasn't like he was having an extremely great shooting day. He was having a really good one, but nothing out of the ordinary. He just took a **** load of shots.

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

You should look at the play-by-play, and look at the ridiculous amount of subbing going on. Grinnell's coach literally subs in 4 guys about every minute or so.

Also the other team had a guy who scored 70pts.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Grinnell's in white.

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/GrinnellOffense.html

It's a "run and gun" offense with offensive possessions often lasting only five seconds in duration (12 seconds at the most), usually resulting in a 3-point shot. Grinnell tries to get over 100 shots per game and over 50 - 60% of those as 3-point shots. They crash the offensive boards with four rebounders, going for the long rebound off missed 3-point shots.

Defensively, Grinnell full-court presses the entire game, using several press defenses, forcing the tempo, trying to create turnovers. They usually force about 28 turnovers per game, but their goal is 32. These forced turnovers often result in easy baskets in transition. Half-court defense is not a huge priority... opponents may score in the half-court, but Coach Arseneault believes his team can simply out-score them using their offensive system and their press defenses.

Of his 15 players, Coach Arseneault will typically have 4 - 6 squads of five players (various 5-player combinations) that he uses. He will substitute five new players every two minutes or so, keeping fresh legs in the game at all times, wearing the opponent down by the end of the game. Many players will get playing time and no-one plays the entire game.
    It's almost a different sport. But hey, whatever works.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That ain't basketball.

I am more impressed by the kid who shot 34-44 and had 70 points than the kid who shot 108 times (missed 44 three pointers!) and scored 138...he jacked up a shot every 20 seconds!

Paul Westhead would be proud.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Lisa Leslie once scored 101 points in the first half of a women's high school basketball game (in two 8-minute quarters) and the other team forfeited the game at halftime.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Butler really needs a point guard.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "The system" taken to the next level. Are we sure that Coach Arseneault isn't just an alias of Paul's?

lol cherry-picking at 2:06

If Grinnell's opponent gets into the double bonus, Grinnell will sub in five freshmen players, foul their opponent immediately once the ball is in play, send them to the line, then sub the freshmen players out to put their scorers back in on offense.

http://deadspin.com/5962514/?utm_cam...ium=socialflow

It's a sham that it will even go into the record books. What a joke. Some D1 school should schedule Grinnell by paying their admins a million dollars and just ebat them mercilessly.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

hey, say what you will about how dignified it is, but you've got to be in STELLAR shape to run a system like that, every guy on the roster. kind of makes me feel bad for the refs, this is D3 level.

it's D3 in Iowa guys. don't take it so seriously. the guy wins with it, that's all that matters.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 11-21-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    no he wouldn't

they disrespected the game and it's a shame I hope the NCAA takes away the record that is some BS

I hope they ban them from every playing hoops again that coach should get a liftime ban

MUST READ

http://burnstyler.wordpress.com/2012...core-tells-us/

Jack Taylor, a sophomore guard from Grinnell College, just shattered the NCAA scoring record with 138 points in a single game. 138 points. A good number of college games don’t even see that many COMBINED points. It’s stunning. Grinnell’s website supposedly has archived video of all their basketball games, but it appears to be down. You’d really need to see the game film to get the full story, but the box score just popped up on d3hoops.com’s website, so I had to have a look.

Just some random observations from this box score:

Taylor is only 5’10″. The shortest guy on Faith Baptist’s team is 5’10″. They couldn’t put someone on Taylor to shut him down after his first 50 shot attempts? Maybe try double teaming?
    Taylor played 36 of 40 minutes. He scored nearly 4 points a minute. That’s incredible.
    The dude jacked 71 threes. Their opponent shot only six threes. SIX.
    He didn’t shoot a particularly great % from the field, but take away his 3-pt attempts and he shot 25-37, a very, very good 67.5%.
    The team only had 22 assists on 68 field goals made. That is the definition of run-and-gun.
    Taylor attempted 26 more shots than the other team combined.
    Grinnell used 20 players in this game. Faith Baptist used 10.
    Perhaps just as impressive was David Larson from Faith Baptist. At 6’4″, he shot 34-44 and put up 70 points in the losing effort.
    Eric Young and Tyler Betz (look at his stupid bio pic) from Faith Baptist better be running some serious sprints after this game. They combined for 31 turnovers!
    Some poor ******* had to record the play-by-play on this game. Look at the length of that document!

My biggest question from tonight’s game is this: where do they go from here? Will Taylor top this performance? They’re only three games into the season. Will he jack 130 shots next game? Do you think parents of the other kids on the team enjoyed watching this?

D3, terrible defense, whatever the case may be: 138 points is just absurd. I couldn’t score that against a team of 2nd graders.

Update:

The game film is finally available on Grinnell’s website, so I watched it this morning (yay Thanksgiving break!). Here are some more thoughts:

In the two games leading up to this one, Taylor was 5-18 and 6-23 from the field. Next game? 52-108. Come on. After watching the game film, this makes sense. Keep reading.
    The announcer actually said that Grinnell will look on their schedule for their weaker opponents and do everything they can to run up the score and break records. This is all within the game plan. One tactic the announcer mentioned was called “The Bomb Squad”. If Grinnell’s opponent gets into the double bonus, Grinnell will sub in five freshmen players, foul their opponent immediately once the ball is in play, send them to the line, then sub the freshmen players out to put their scorers back in on offense. This takes almost no time off the clock, giving their starters as many offensive possessions as possible. To win the game? No, not necessarily. To break records.
    For reasons unknown to me, this game counted as a regular season game for Grinnell, but as an exhibition game for Faith Baptist. The announcer actually mentioned this during the game. Hardly a competitive game even from the start.
    There’s no question, Jack Taylor can play. Really good ball handler, finishes very well around the rim. He creates all of his own shots. Virtually no screens were set in this game. Taylor brings it up, does a couple crossovers, then either shoots a quick 3 or drives to the bucket. Grinnell’s spacing gave him so many open layups.
    There were a LOT of possessions where Taylor would chuck up a shot, miss, and his teammate would get the rebound wide open under the basket. Instead of putting it back up, he would look for Taylor again and pass it out so he could chuck another three. There were many possessions where this happened three times each. Six three-point attempts in two trips down the court.
    Every single person in that gym–the players, the announcers, the coaches, the fans–were hell-bent on setting records during this game. The entire flow was completely fixed to feed Jack Taylor the ball on every single possession. The announcer was even counting down the record for most points in a HALF. Who cares about that record? Grinnell does. It was weird.

Faith Baptist’s defense was just embarrassing. They were in no way conditioned to run with Grinnell in this style of offense. Run & gun, full court press every single time. It was as if every player was wearing concrete shoes. Sometimes it looked like they just gave up, or decided to help Taylor get this record.
    Their offense was just as bad. Literally 75% of their points were full court heaves to get it over Grinnell’s press, then a wide open layup on the other end. Oh, and David Larsen’s “impressive” 70-point effort? Hardly. They were 90% wide open layups. He maybe took a handful of jump shots.
    The announcer actually made a Wilt Chamberlain reference once Taylor hit 100 points.
    The game got more and more embarrassing in the later stages. Taylor’s teammates would literally do everything they could do get him the ball every single time. It didn’t matter how wide open of a look they had.

The box score looks a heck of a lot better than the game film. This record is a total sham.

Update 2:

@BustedCoverage has ripped the first few minutes of the game tape where the announcers discuss Grinnell’s game plan and intent on setting records, as well as the closing minutes of

this video is a disgrace and if they dont do something about what these kids did I will be upset. Just give up layups so the other kid can keep chucking 3s beyond embarrassing.

What a joke total fraud and terrible for the sport. That bomb squad tactic is the biggest joke of all I would be ashamed to be affiliated with that team in any way.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 11-21-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Yet here we are talking about Grinnell and Jack Taylor. Mission accomplished.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

The announcers talking about the records is just hilarious. So stupid.

Sports Logo

Say whatever you want about it, the kid scored 138 points. It's absolutely his record. They didn't foul on every defensive possession to stop the clock or something. Who are we to say how basketball should be played? Wabash would probably shred Grinnell, let alone an actual D1 team, but who cares? Don't pretend this "record" actually means anything.

It's a gimmick offense, but it doesn't make it invalid. He chucked his way to 138 points, there's nothing inherently wrong with it. It's terrible basketball sure, but he legitimately scored the points.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 11-21-2012 at 04:10 PM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    no he wouldn't

they disrespected the game and it's a shame I hope the NCAA takes away the record that is some BS

I hope they ban them from every playing hoops again that coach should get a liftime ban

MUST READ

http://burnstyler.wordpress.com/2012...core-tells-us/

this video is a disgrace and if they dont do something about what these kids did I will be upset. Just give up layups so the other kid can keep chucking 3s beyond embarrassing.

What a joke total fraud and terrible for the sport. That bomb squad tactic is the biggest joke of all I would be ashamed to be affiliated with that team in any way.
    It's a D-3 school in Iowa and people probably won't even remember it in a few months. Relax.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Some team should pull some ol' Jack Butcher-Loogootee stall ball on Grinnell sometime. I would love to see it. Get the ball.

Anyone ever play against that style of play in high school?

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    Some team should pull some ol' Jack Butcher-Loogootee stall ball on Grinnell sometime. I would love to see it. Get the ball.

Problem is the shot clock.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post

The year my HS went to the state finals (we lost) we played a team that did that.

I was working all 3 teams, and all 3 games sucked. The freshmen gave got interesting because we trapped, but I remember the end of the first quarter of the varsity game was like 6-2.

EDIT: We did not have a shot clock. To the best of my knoweldge they still do not.

Though your point is moot as I read somewhere this team is just a average team, and they choose a player to get a record and choose what games to do it in (obviously against lesser teams). So those teams probably couldnt play stall ball.

For the record, those were the most boring games I ever watched in high school (and I saw some great ones, ones that I still remember to this day, but man those games sucked.)

I am saying you can't play stall ball in college because of the shot clock.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    The year my HS went to the state finals (we lost) we played a team that did that.

I was working all 3 teams, and all 3 games sucked. The freshmen gave got interesting because we trapped, but I remember the end of the first quarter of the varsity game was like 6-2.

EDIT: We did not have a shot clock. To the best of my knowledge they still do not.

Though your point is moot as I read somewhere this team is just a average team, and they choose a player to get a record and choose what games to do it in (obviously against lesser teams). So those teams probably couldn't play stall ball.

For the record, those were the most boring games I ever watched in high school (and I saw some great ones, ones that I still remember to this day, but man those games sucked.)
    yeah, while this run'n'gun helter-skelter crap isn't exactly the stuff i want to watch, stall-ball is just as bad as it is on the other end of the spectrum. the shot clock became a necessity as teams like unc running dean smith's 4 corners offense wrecked the game.
    Last edited by clownskull; 11-26-2012 at 05:27 PM.

I like this Stauskas guy on Michigan. That kid is a dead eye shooter. Long too--he can get his shot off over guys.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I like this Stauskas guy on Michigan. That kid is a dead eye shooter. Long too--he can get his shot off over guys.
    Its like Deja Vu year after year. Beilein loves him some shooters.
    I Bleed Blue