Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Colts/Pats --- here we go again

Default Re: Colts/Pats --- here we go again

It seems to make sense to LuckSwagger to openly wish for a Brady injury. I wouldn't presume to suggest he speaks for any Colts fans, but it is also notable that nobody here called him out on it either.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It seems to make sense to LuckSwagger to openly wish for a Brady injury. I wouldn't presume to suggest he speaks for any Colts fans, but it is also notable that nobody here called him out on it either.

I don't have to chide a brand new poster to prove that I don't want Brady injured.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

RWB

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I don't have to chide a brand new poster to prove that I don't want Brady injured.
    Fair point. I let OlBlu Jr. get under my skin and overreacted. Sorry about that.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Uh, I thought that I pointed out the fact that Gronk wasn't even in on that final drive was disagreement enough. Clearly I thought it went without saying that I didn't agree with his comment on Brady.

I don't mind running up the score, but you do have to live with the complications if a starter gets hurt, not what happened with Gronk, but the point still stands. personally, this isn't pee wee football, if you don't want the other team to beat the snot out of you then stop them. It's not like football is a "gentleman's" game or whatever it is a rough, physical game, don't go out there looking to hurt people, but if you want to win by 50 and you're ok with the risks that come along with that then so be it.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

It's funny how Fantasy Football influences your perspective on everything. I've probably been almost as bummed about this Gronk injury as Pats fans are. This really screws up my championship chances as I doubt he is back before the fantasy playoffs start. TE is a very tough position to fill, especially when the TE was your best player. It's not like RB or WR where you can always find some OK waiver options.

Maybe I should take a look at Dallas Clark? He had a TD yesterday and his QB has been playing well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

At the risk of being called a Sally Sunshine, Gronkowski has been banged up all year with leg/hip/back issues and chances are that he was going to keep playing every game despite missing practices, and keep being on the "probable" list all of the time (and for REAL reasons). Now the Patriots are without him, but have a full 3 game lead in the division. Meaning, they damn well ought to be able to win the division and thus make the playoffs anyway.

Then... they get Gronk back at 100%, maybe more healthy than he would have been otherwise, in time for a home playoff game.

Thus the short term pain may prove a benefit in winning when it really counts. Goodbye first round bye, but that has seemed to be relatively unimportant to winning a championship. Winning in Baltimore or Houston is a challenge, but they aren't juggernauts IMO.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Hate to sound like a dick, but it serves them right for keeping the starters in there that late in the game. **** you, New England.
    I feel bad for Gronkowski, but yeah, it's about time that bit Belichick in the ***.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    I feel bad for Gronkowski, but yeah, it's about time that bit Belichick in the ***.
    So you disagree with Tony Dungy, who said (paraphrasing here)...

You have a set group for the PAT conversion. I always had Jeff Saturday playing RG on PATs and never even considered taking him off, no matter what the score was. You sometimes sit players on offense or on defense, because they are used to subbing out. You practice those changes and adjustments. The special teams guys are different-- they work together all week as one unit and they play as one unit, whatever the score.
    So you feel that it's also a shame that it never bit Dungy in the ***, or any other of the large majority of coaches who run special teams the exact same way?

I think what we have here is a fundamental lack of understanding of how coaches use specific special teams units. This isn't college where you have 80 guys. You have 42 guys plus kicker, punter, and long-snapper to cover offense, defense, and four core special teams units. If you take out you top 10 "key players" by however means you use to decide that, then I am not sure how you can expect to run the play and (for example) not get the kicker clobbered. The best blockers play up front on the PAT conversion. That has to include Gronk, particularly in a week where the teams two starting guards were both out with injuries.

At some point Gronk gets the tap on the shoulder and gets the message to take the rest of the game off on offense (and he did, before the last scoring drive). But he knows he will be out there on the special teams unit he practiced with all week. That's just how it works, in New England, in Indianapolis, EVERYWHERE.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 11-19-2012 at 04:08 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Bruschi:

When I was playing defense and we were blowing out an opponent, you were told, "You're out of the game now, Tedy, but you're still on the field goal block team." It's just the way it is in football.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/boston/chat/_/id/46155

So it seems to have nothing at all to do with anything Bill Belichick does differently than anyone else.

But it's some convenient lame excuse to criticize Belichick for, so please by all means go back to the bashing party and pardon the fact-based interruption.

We've been told not to respond to this type of post as it is considered a mob mentality.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    New? Maybe a new name, but his first posts were to tell us how we (admins) should deal with a particular situation. I don't know who he is but one should not assume he's new to PD.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Bruschi:

When I was playing defense and we were blowing out an opponent, you were told, "You're out of the game now, Tedy, but you're still on the field goal block team." It's just the way it is in football.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/boston/chat/_/id/46155

So it seems to have nothing at all to do with anything Bill Belichick does differently than anyone else.

But it's some convenient lame excuse to criticize Belichick for, so please by all means go back to the bashing party and pardon the fact-based interruption.
    Bruschi is a scrub
    "We want Miami"

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

My take on the outcome of this game, btw:

I'm not taking a whole lot from it. There were some freak things that occurred that completely changed momentum. We're a young team, and games like this are gonig to happen. I know Indy can play better. You're not going to give up two pick-sixes and a kickoff return for a TD very often, especially in one game. When those happened, we were still very much in the game and actually came out and took a quick lead. The wheels fell off a bit. Happens.

I have a feeling the next time these teams meet, the outcome won't be so lopsided. Oh, and having their starters in there so late in the game was pretty f'n stupid. Gronk aside, why are they risking anyone with 5 mins left being up 4 touchdowns?
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Gronk aside, why are they risking anyone with 5 mins left being up 4 touchdowns?
    For their last scoring drive, beginning at 7:37, Gronk was on the bench for the entire drive. So was Ridley. Welker went out after the short /safe 3rd-and-7 completion at about the six minute mark, which was followed by 6 straight handoffs to the backup tailback Vareen. The last 3 of those came from Mallett handing it off, on the final possession.

Flip side: Were the Colts risking all their starters with 4 mins left, in the game, being down 4 touchdowns? Yes. Is that stupid? I think not, but if somebody does thinks it is stupid for Brady to be in there handing it off, then having Andrew Luck dropping back in the shotgun when the game is out of reach and you also still have playoff ambitions is, I would think, far more stupid.

Gronk was on the point-after-touchdown unit because that unit practices together, and even though his day was done on offense, not one coach in the league, to my knowledge, makes personnel changes in that unit based on game score. The risk of making such a change would be to mess up the blocking scheme (which is a cohesive rather than an individual effort). The most likely player to get injured on a PAT is the kicker, from a blocked kick. To prevent this, every coach (including Belichick, including Tony Dungy, and including every coach in the NFL) sends out the guys who are on that unit, unless a player has been knocked out of the game.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 11-20-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    My take on the outcome of this game, btw:

I'm not taking a whole lot from it. There were some freak things that occurred that completely changed momentum. We're a young team, and games like this are gonig to happen. I know Indy can play better. You're not going to give up two pick-sixes and a kickoff return for a TD very often, especially in one game. When those happened, we were still very much in the game and actually came out and took a quick lead. The wheels fell off a bit. Happens.

I have a feeling the next time these teams meet, the outcome won't be so lopsided. Oh, and having their starters in there so late in the game was pretty f'n stupid. Gronk aside, why are they risking anyone with 5 mins left being up 4 touchdowns?
    I'm making excuses for why we lost. Our receivers dropped way too many of Luck's perfectly thrown passes. One pass hit Allen directly in the hands. These drops are just as bad as turnovers. How is Luck supposed to stay poised when his receivers drop easy passes
    David "And One" West

Brady should be a unanimous choice for MVP this year. Andrew Luck needed that win to stay in consideration
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Brady should be a unanimous choice for MVP this year. Andrew Luck needed that win to stay in consideration
    Good thing the voters look at the entire body of work and don't focus on just one week.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    Good thing the voters look at the entire body of work and don't focus on just one week.
    That one week was typical of his performances this year.

His last four games: 96-150 (64.0%), 1131 yds, 11 td, 0 int, 111.3 rating, with the team averaging 42.5 points a game over this stretch.

He's now at 31 TDs + 3 INT for the entire season to date. If he were to throw 3 INTs and no TDs in his next game, he would still lead all NFL QBs in TD/INT ratio. This is while his team is leading the league in RUSHING touchdowns, by far. Meaning, they regularly run in the red zone, limiting passing TDs. Rushing TD totals: Patriots 16, Broncos 6, Packers 2.

Brady's worst two games by passer rating, which accounted for all his INTs this year:
    at Sea: 36-58 (62.1%), 395 yds, 2 td, 2 int, 79.3 rating
    vs Ari: 28-46 (60.9%), 316 yds, 1 td, 1 int, 79.6 rating

So in each one he completed over 60% of his passes and threw for more than 300 yards, in games lost by a combined 3 points (thus there were no "garbage time" yards). Again, these were his two *worst* games of the year, by quite a bit.

Brady is doing what he does every year. He is always a top-tier MVP candidate. He has been excellent since coming back from the injury that cost him 2008.

Why did Patriots fans boo Vinatieri? He had game winning kicks in two Super Bowls and left only when another team offered him more money. He's never said anything negative about the Pats, has he? No reason to boo the guy. I thought it was classless to boo someone who did so much for the Patriots.

Simmons' take:

SG: I absolutely hated it. Unacceptable. Vinatieri should be mentioned in the same breath in New England with people like David Ortiz, Sam Jones and Paul Revere — he made the single greatest field goal in football history (the Snow Game) and three other classics that helped win titles (the two Super Bowl game-winners and the one when he booted the bowling ball in the freezing home game against Tennessee). One of the all-time clutch Boston athletes. And no, we haven't won the Super Bowl since he got pushed out because Belichick didn't want to pay him — a technically smart move that I'm sure my illegitimate son Bill Barnwell will defend to the death because you should never overpay kickers, but ****, if you're ever overpaying a kicker just a little bit, wouldn't it be the best money kicker who ever lived? And he's getting booed? I don't want to talk about it.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...otball-mailbag
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 11-23-2012 at 06:16 PM.